Whats Lying on your Workbench MK IV

Urashiman

It's been a long, but generally satisfying build. Never built a ship before, and this is the first real world subject I've built in quite a few years. Didn't go crazy with the option parts, just replaced the barrels, and the wood deck.

Now, the main question is where I'm going to put this thing when I actually do finish it.

If you can't find a place to display it you can always send it my way... I promiss to give it a good home. :D

Joking aside, that looks fantastic; it's amaizing how much authenticity one of those laser cut deck kits can add to any ship model. Add photo-etch, lathed barrels, and a lot of time and talent and patience, and you've got yourself a masterpiece.

That looks great! I have SEVERAL ships in my closet waiting to be built. I'm just waiting on the display case now ;) The ships I have built in the past got damaged or dusty to the point where they couldn't be safely cleaned. Nice work! - MT

A coat of paint, and a wood deck really make it look like I'm almost finished with the Musashi.

Nice work! That's one massive ship. BTW, is the wood deck custom or does it come with the kit? I've never built "real-world" scale model before, so I wouldn't know what usually comes with these kits.

First couple of rounds of Raider painting this weekend. Base color is Model Master Gun Metal Buffing Metalizer and panels are Dark Grey Model Masters Acrylic..

That thing's gorgeous. I'd buy one myself if I didn't already have six other kits waiting for me to complete,

BTW, is the wood deck custom or does it come with the kit? I've never built "real-world" scale model before, so I wouldn't know what usually comes with these kits.

It's an after-market part. So were the gun barrels. The deck peice of the kit is marked like a wood deck, but I think the add on part makes it look so much better. The new barrels look nicer, too. They do offer a super, insanely detail parts set, but as I've never used these types of parts before, I didn't want to go crazy. Besides, that part set is more than the model itself!

That thing's gorgeous. I'd buy one myself if I didn't already have six other kits waiting for me to complete,

eh, I've only got 22 waiting to be built...

it was a birthday present from my wife, anyway. :wub:

How does one go about removing the gloss finish on a glossy paint?

Look for something called "flat base" that you can add to your paint. I know Mr. Color has that, think Tamiya does too. Add the recommended amount, gloss turns flat. Half the amount, semi-gloss.

It's an after-market part. So were the gun barrels. The deck peice of the kit is marked like a wood deck, but I think the add on part makes it look so much better. The new barrels look nicer, too. They do offer a super, insanely detail parts set, but as I've never used these types of parts before, I didn't want to go crazy. Besides, that part set is more than the model itself!

eh, I've only got 22 waiting to be built...

it was a birthday present from my wife, anyway. :wub:

Look for something called "flat base" that you can add to your paint. I know Mr. Color has that, think Tamiya does too. Add the recommended amount, gloss turns flat. Half the amount, semi-gloss.

Thanks man. What if I'm using a spray can? Is there something I can add after the fact to take the bling off?

Nice job on the Cat'seye Neptune. It looks like "it could be." It just needs some tarmac, a crew and no one would know it doesn't exhist in real life :D I've got one of EXO's Skull Squadron shirts. A retired Airman asked me if that was a new plane the Air Force had :lol: Some day... - MT

Wow, that's some pretty intense bling! Gold parts might not look too good if you're going for accuracy.

Thanks man. What if I'm using a spray can? Is there something I can add after the fact to take the bling off?

A word of caution when using Tamiya clear coats. I'm not sure about other paints, but if you're using Tamiya spray paints and top coating with the same brand of clear coat, DON'T wait for it to cure! There have been numerous reports of paint jobs cracking due to the different off-gassing times between the color and clear coat in Tamiya paints.

Try to spray your top coat as soon as your color coat dries. Apparently, doing so allows the color and clear coats to off-gas and cure at the same time.

If you choose to clear coat with FFP, some modelers have reported no incidents of hairline cracks if you allow the color coat to dry for about two weeks.

I've never had any first-hand experience with these things, though. I mostly build Gunpla, and prefer to simply spray a matte coat onto the plastic itself, since the colors are all accurate. If all this sounds too scary, you might want to avoid Tamiya clear coats and go for another brand instead.

Whow, That is awesome electric! And CW your a braver taper then me.

Heres the rough assembly,,, I thought masking this thing was going to be a hoot, but compared to that F16,,, should be cake. I do think I wore out a set of files matching the panels though <_<post-129-0-95488500-1336601138_thumb.jpg

That... ok, my head hurts. You know how people complain a lot that CGI never looks as real as an actual model? Well.. I'm torn. This is absolutely backwards, and I don't know whether saying "that model looks exactly like the CGI!" would be a complement or not.. :huh:

Either way, that's amazing. :lol:

Cool looking F-16 so far, if i didn't know better I'd swear theres gonna be a super cute Anime Girl on that wing & stabilizer! B))

HEH HEH!

I've really wanted to get and build the 1/48 iM@S F-22, but that kind of paint work really scares me.

It's actually not difficult to paint. Only 2 main colors. But the decal work is where it'll kill me.

Whow, That is awesome electric! And CW your a braver taper then me.

Heres the rough assembly,,, I thought masking this thing was going to be a hoot, but compared to that F16,,, should be cake. I do think I wore out a set of files matching the panels though <_<post-129-0-95488500-1336601138_thumb.jpg

The Masking job on the F-16 isn't as bad as it looks. Only 2 main colors to mask and the white is mostly straight lines. It's just time consuming.

Three quick pictures of my Yamato. A friend of mine suggested doing an Iowa class ship, so I'm doing the Missouri next, as soon as the wood deck for that ship comes in. I'm going to do her in her late WWII scheme, with her unique blue deck. Should make for an interesting contrast.

post-122-0-06205600-1336694055_thumb.jpg

post-122-0-97823000-1336694069_thumb.jpg

post-122-0-52454300-1336694138_thumb.jpg