Whats Lying on your Workbench MK IV

Urashiman

Tonights meagre efforts... the install of the first of the Hallway display plates for the Valks.

IMG_20160409_184623_zps83nbvlcj.jpgIMG_20160409_194131_zpseuyrvgwy.jpgIMG_20160410_211257_zpszftzxakw.jpgIMG_20160410_211241_zpss9xecbr7.jpg

Each plate is held in place to the back frame by Extra heavy duty Cabinet Door Latch magnets for easy removal and swapping and will get a 3mm Acrylic cover and 4 hidden LEDs as mini spotlights glowing from under each Valk. They will be hooked into the same PIR sensor that turns on the end display rack as someone steps out into the hall. Each will light up at a 0.5sec delay down the hall as a night light.

Edited by NZEOD

Tonights meagre efforts... the install of the first of the Hallway display plates for the Valks.

Each plate is held in place to the back frame by Extra heavy duty Cabinet Door Latch magnets for easy removal and swapping and will get a 3mm Acrylic cover and 4 hidden LEDs as mini spotlights glowing from under each Valk. They will be hooked into the same PIR sensor that turns on the end display rack as someone steps out into the hall. Each will light up at a 0.5sec delay down the hall as a night light.

total madness! this project is gonna be of epic proportions when done! B)):D

That's cool NZEOD! Just keep in mind that LEDs emit IR and UV which may yellow your great paint jobs. UV filters over them may help out. Here's a link on it:

http://www.nouvir.com/index.cfm?ref=90200&ref2=9

We're in the same situation at the museum thinking of putting in strip LED lighting. We don't want them to yellow our artifacts.

That "rare bird" (Regult) came out great Derex! Good to see some 80's love! - MT

Waiting for these displays NZEOD, they already loo epic! Derex I wish I had your dexterity for painting...

My Vajra got final and perfect wires:

1) 0.5mm diameter Copper for the rear legs

2) 0.7mm diameter Copper for the head and front legs

I finished then the tail using a glow-in-the dark wrist band and the eyes with some super-glue+baby powder mix.

It also got stress-tested by my daughter haha ! It succeded and got a revenge from a 1/72 size figure :rolleyes:

Now I need to figure out if it needs matte or glossy finish, any idea ?

post-15880-0-10419400-1460408640_thumb.jpg

post-15880-0-71055300-1460408643_thumb.jpg

post-15880-0-14800500-1460408654_thumb.jpg

post-15880-0-84491500-1460408663_thumb.jpg

post-15880-0-29185400-1460408675_thumb.jpg

post-15880-0-93889800-1460408682_thumb.jpg

post-15880-0-44598700-1460408892_thumb.jpg

Edited by Xigfrid

That a great looking Vajra. I'm sure your daughter wants one of her own now.

The battlepod looks great. One of the better alien war mechs

And that display wall is gonna be awesome!

For me, back on my shelf is a /1000 Yamato that for the longest time, was scantily clad only in primer. The saucy minx!!

BBY-1%20Yamato%201-066_zpsbha4vvfu.jpg

Edited by Thom

Waiting for these displays NZEOD, they already loo epic! Derex I wish I had your dexterity for painting...

My Vajra got final and perfect wires:

1) 0.5mm diameter Copper for the rear legs

2) 0.7mm diameter Copper for the head and front legs

I finished then the tail using a glow-in-the dark wrist band and the eyes with some super-glue+baby powder mix.

It also got stress-tested by my daughter haha ! It succeded and got a revenge from a 1/72 size figure :rolleyes:

Now I need to figure out if it needs matte or glossy finish, any idea ?

Your beastie would look good in a similar wall display...

Cambrian Plastics have begun making the first of the Acrylic Covers for the displays today. They made my display cases for my Medals, Unit Plaques, Titanium and Stainless pins, plates and screws (broken many bones over the years) and IED/EOD souvenirs that I've collected from devices I've worked on or pulled from myself. Really good work, really good pricing and REALLY fast!

That's great Xigfrid! You've done something most of us would NEVER do - put our works into the hands of our children!

Cool Thom! I've got the 1/350th waiting for about five years now. I won't build it until I have display case to put it in.

NZEOD, if I'm ever over in your neck of the woods and invite myself over, make sure we don't tour "the little shop of horrors" section before dinner :D - MT

lol my family has a fascinating Genetic defect whereby we feel only sharp protrusion pain (ie needles etc) but little else. I can burn myself, break bones, tear ligaments etc with little reaction.

I've had 15 concussions, 7 punctured lungs, 9 dislocated knees, pins in both thumbs, plates in wrists and fingers, broken sternum, arm, ankles, collarbone in 5 places, nose, LOTS of Stitches and Staples, dislocated hip, jaw, fingers, especially thumbs and a ton of burns and so on...

Minor breaks like fingers I dont bother to get fixed now, I just reset them and tape them up myself and carry on. Most casting and taping and padding to really just to make people feel less discomfort... well... we can skip that step.

Kids are the same - my daughter is more level headed but still has broken an arm and her jaw racing, the boys... reckless.

I pulled 2 pieces of door skin and one sliver of shell casing from my ribs and lung (didnt realise it had punctured it) after a roadside IED attack. They are my favorites now and make for great conversation starters... and enders.

My brother binned an MTB and buried the chainring in his leg starting at the ankle and shaving it to the bone to up under his knee. He lay on the ground complaining about a graze on his forearm, never even blinked at the leg impaling. Spectators were throwing up. 48 staples later its an epic scar!

Just imagine the fun I have with powertools and soldering irons when I'm modelling...

Nothing hard or heroic (perhaps moronic though), we just dont feel it, i'm sure if we did, we'd run screaming to mum.

On a more relevent note, as of last night I have completed the VF-0 series with the purchase of a VF-0B! So now have the VF-0A with QB2200 GHOST, 0B, 0C, 0D, 0S. Thinking I may seperate the Ghost and have that on its own display as I'll have Jasonc's ghost as well.

Edited by NZEOD

lol my family has a fascinating Genetic defect whereby we feel only sharp protrusion pain (ie needles etc) but little else. I can burn myself, break bones, tear ligaments etc with little reaction.

I've had 15 concussions, 7 punctured lungs, 9 dislocated knees, pins in both thumbs, plates in wrists and fingers, broken sternum, arm, ankles, collarbone in 5 places, nose, LOTS of Stitches and Staples, dislocated hip, jaw, fingers, especially thumbs and a ton of burns and so on...

Minor breaks like fingers I dont bother to get fixed now, I just reset them and tape them up myself and carry on. Most casting and taping and padding to really just to make people feel less discomfort... well... we can skip that step.

Kids are the same - my daughter is more level headed but still has broken an arm and her jaw racing, the boys... reckless.

I pulled 2 pieces of door skin and one sliver of shell casing from my ribs and lung (didnt realise it had punctured it) after a roadside IED attack. They are my favorites now and make for great conversation starters... and enders.

My brother binned an MTB and buried the chainring in his leg starting at the ankle and shaving it to the bone to up under his knee. He lay on the ground complaining about a graze on his forearm, never even blinked at the leg impaling. Spectators were throwing up. 48 staples later its an epic scar!

Just imagine the fun I have with powertools and soldering irons when I'm modelling...

Nothing hard or heroic (perhaps moronic though), we just dont feel it, i'm sure if we did, we'd run screaming to mum.

On a more relevent note, as of last night I have completed the VF-0 series with the purchase of a VF-0B! So now have the VF-0A with QB2200 GHOST, 0B, 0C, 0D, 0S. Thinking I may seperate the Ghost and have that on its own display as I'll have Jasonc's ghost as well.

yikes!! :o you guys sure are pretty robust in that respect! I had a fall on my mtb a few weeks ago resulting in a heavy concussion, a few seizures and a week in hospital! :rolleyes:

Yeah, what Plasticman said! I need my nerves, that's how I know to stop cutting my parts with a X-Acto :lol: There's more hardware in that one photo than in my fastener stock. - MT

Edited by MechTech

Theres a great article about him on the net. He raced the next weekend at the Last Daytona 200 on a Triumph Daytona 675R, had to be lifted on to the bike, qualified on the Saturday and still came in mid pack. That was last year.

They have to modify his leathers to suit. The sternum wires are from previous heart surgery. And he still does Road cycling and cleaned up the Georgia series. Seems when someone in my family gets knocked down, they are stupid enough to try to get straight back up.

Besides, his collarbone only snapped into 4 pieces, mine was 5 so I win that round.

Edited by NZEOD

What makes it more amazing is you both know you have this genetic trait but still go at it with your sports. A friend of mine has haemophilia and was wrapped in cotton wool as a kid, only later in life was he able to do things everyone else sees and normal. Like riding his MTB, running and hiking on his own. His parents would be happier if he just stayed in bed and watched TV.

well in our chosen sport not being at to be hindered by pain and discomfort is advantageous, same as it is for me as a soldier. Can't live in a bubble and lives not a journey its a Rollercoaster ride, and we are loving every minute of it.

From a sci fi point of view how come uncle Sam hasn't tried to clone you. Battle fields full of you.... Oh my legs been shot off.... How anoying... Oh a big bullet hole dammit its messed up my new combat jacket etc.

Saw one of those in a shop in nakano, and didn't buy it :(

You should! Thanks to Hasegawa, the prices on these have plummeted. I don't think I paid more than ï¿¥3000 for any of the ones I bought.

post-122-0-66014300-1461092370_thumb.jpgpost-122-0-98990000-1461092397_thumb.jpgpost-122-0-28442900-1461092452_thumb.jpgpost-122-0-09813900-1461092478_thumb.jpgpost-122-0-57357500-1461092501_thumb.jpg

Queen Mary 2 in 1:400 scale is DONE. Well, not quite, I haven't attached the engine pods, as this model is for a client who runs a travel agency, and we're waiting on the case maker to make a case for her to sit in, and I don't want to damage the delicate propellers. I started this model way back in July 2012, and worked on it off and on.

She's pretty much built as is out of the box, with an aftermarket wood deck kit applied, as I prefer the look of real wood (and saves my sanity in masking).