Whats Lying on your Workbench MK IV

Urashiman

Well, it's not bad considering it was the world's first jet fighter designed for use as carrier-based night fighter. You gotta start somewhere. They did missile tests with them. You can add some sparrows to it ^_^ - MT

Yeah... apparently there were a few that were operational and could be deployed onto carriers but never were.

I'm actually slowly building all of the aircraft from the US Navy's early composite Fighter Squadrons VC-3 and VC-4. Their main task was to deploy night fighter detachments, but they provided nuclear weapon delivery aircraft as well. The first photo is a bit crappy... sorry.

4G18.jpg

4c3-1.jpg

Edited by Noyhauser

Ahh, hot rod Navy A/C/ Man's planes to be sure. Very nice.

A bit more work on the Alliance Frazi build:

Finished cleaning up the canopy plug. It took a long time. But, after several hours with the diamond rifflers and knives, it looks like it was made this way:

111_3641.jpg

Began making the pieces of glazing for the canopy. I made templates for each opening and then cut three pieces for each to laminate. For the toughest openings - the front ones - I also place clear sheet backing on there to makes things easier when I start laying the pieces in:

111_3642.jpg

Finally I made all of the panes. I thoroughly cleaned each pane with Windex. Then I laminated them using Future to bond them together. The process is simple: Apply a clamp to the laminate to press the pieces together while keeping the clamp jaw from touching the outside edges of the panes. Then apply Future to those outside edges and capillary action sucks it between them. This does three things: 1.) Bonds them together but not permanently if I need to fix them, 2.) Corrects minor surface flaws, and 3.) Seals the laminate edges to prevent capillary action from sucking paint in later.

111_3643.jpg

Comments and criticisms welcome.

Kenny

Finished up the main painting. Now, the fun part; figuring out where and how to mask for the body lines. :wacko:

post-12411-0-06805900-1339842770_thumb.jpg

I think my figure modification came out pretty good.

post-12411-0-71591400-1339842765_thumb.jpg

Shoulder pads are a little big for a the First pilot. but I'm sure the different paintjob will show the difference.

So I've been working to clear my bench a bit. I bought this little guy last month in Japan and couldn't help but tear through it. Its got a Mr Surfacer basecoat, with White Aluminum Alclad all over, mixed White aluminum and jet exhaust for the area around the engine and dull aluminum for the access panel. I also used Gunze for the tail and tamiya for the nose.

Right now I feel as if its a blank canvas to put decals and weathering on. I'm a bit worried that the surfacer may have penetrated underneath the canopy masking (which I used scotch tape to do. )

5J2.jpg

5J1.jpg

finally got around to finishing up that PLUM/PMOA "ASSAULT SUIT LEYNOS" AS-E53 LEYNOS that i picked up early this year.

i replaced the stock head antenna assembly with one of my own fabrication, scratch-built from a steel sewing needle,

and decorated the model with old ZOIDS decals i had around;

AS-E53LEYNOS-6-20-12.jpg

Edited by Shaorin

Hey Zombie

Very nice work. HAve you thought of using woodglue to put the panels into place? (in addition to the future) Given the material and the shape it might work out well.

Nice work though... that's scratchbuilding beyond my level.

You read my mind. :) It's a staple at my bench. I smooth it with my silicone sculpting tools moistened with water or saliva. TER-OR taught me a trick with any of those PVA glues. Use them straight (or thinned just a hair) and they're transparent as usual. Add a bit of Winsor & Newton ink to it, and you have gray (or whatever color) caulk for those times when that canopy gap has snuck up on you at the end of your build and you can't do any repair/filling/sanding work.

Kenny

Edited by Lt. Z0mBe

finally got around to finishing up that PLUM/PMOA "ASSAULT SUIT LEYNOS" AS-E53 LEYNOS that i picked up early this year.

i replaced the stock head antenna assembly with one of my own fabrication, scratch-built from a steel sewing needle,

and decorated the model with old ZOIDS decals i had around;

AS-E53LEYNOS-6-20-12.jpg

I like the paint job. I just recently picked one up myself. Any hints to pass along on the build?

Nice work and great masking! You should have your own thread for this.

Thanks! Don't think I need to go that far, though. Just takes a lot of patience. And a lot of masking tape!

I scanned the color illustration in from Macross the First Vol 3, and also made a 1:1 enlargement copy. Do a little cutting for a template pattern, and many references looks at the source material, and I'm starting to get there. I think the black will be easier, though, since a majority of it is right next to the red.

So I've been working to clear my bench a bit. I bought this little guy last month in Japan and couldn't help but tear through it. Its got a Mr Surfacer basecoat, with White Aluminum Alclad all over, mixed White aluminum and jet exhaust for the area around the engine and dull aluminum for the access panel. I also used Gunze for the tail and tamiya for the nose. Right now I feel as if its a blank canvas to put decals and weathering on. I'm a bit worried that the surfacer may have penetrated underneath the canopy masking (which I used scotch tape to do. ) 5J2.jpg5J1.jpg

I missed these the other day. B's and C's are my favorite ponies. Look forward to seeing them completed.

Thanks Zombie....

Yeah its really grown on me. I hope I can build another one in the near future.

So the kit has been a bit of a problem; the decals are weird... very very thin (good) but extremely finnicky (bad). It easily folds back on itself and then disintegrates... which I discovered when trying to attach the plane's name "sit". It also happened to the squadron code on the same side. So I took a graphite pencil and drew the lettering on directly, then using thinned vallejo paint I painted it on by hand. Sorry for the crappy photos... it was taken at night but you can see the outcome.

5K4.jpg

5K3.jpg

Edited by Noyhauser

Time for a 1:72 FM Falcon update! Been gluing :blink: hundreds :wacko: of tiny parts on for the last few months and am now happy to report that all upper and lower hulls and sidewalls are complete and everything is primed and pretty much ready for some pre-shading!

post-11393-0-66181800-1340670512_thumb.jpg

post-11393-0-21244900-1340670520_thumb.jpg

post-11393-0-50798200-1340670527_thumb.jpg

post-11393-0-65868600-1340670534_thumb.jpg

post-11393-0-26426100-1340670541_thumb.jpg

Here's a really demented thought.. I wonder if anyone's considered kitbashing all the little greeblies in the MF kit, and using them to build up a Y-Wing? I doubt all the parts would actually be there, but I definitely recognize the Y-Wing's rear panel glued all over the upper surface.

It's amusing seeing kitbashed pieces recreated directly in smaller scale, since you can find the relative sizes of the studio models by comparing shared parts. I know a lot of the kitbashed pieces from many of the ships have been identified, but collectors hate that kind of thing, since it drives up the prices on old kits they might want (same thing that happened with Graflex flashbulb handles.. photography enthusiasts HATE star wars fans).

Fortunately most of the stuff used to kitbash some of the ships is still readily available in newer models, it just won't look quite the same since the kits are newer. I still want to kitbash a studio scale A-Wing one day, but I have a really hard time justifying cutting up that many 1/32 F-14 kits. :lol: