Whats Lying on your Workbench MK IV

Urashiman

Great stuff guys! I can't wait to see how your to resin kits come out Neptunesurvey.

Shaorin, is it just me, or is your F-14 lookin' in the mirror going, "yeah baby, you got some nice set of intakes!"

An easy suggestion for a photographic background, just use some chairs or couch with a sheet draped over it. It's ghettofabulous! It works better if you can get natural light from a large window. To bight of light will give you extreme shadows. - MT

So I finally got off my butt, and finished the modifications to my VF-25F (the one I posted about building long ago), so I can finally call it nearly done. It's at least assembled now, and the custom wing tabs work beautifully to hold up the legs. :)

post-907-0-63589400-1335054017_thumb.jpgpost-907-0-18778300-1335054168_thumb.jpgpost-907-0-74338900-1335054205_thumb.jpgpost-907-0-87592100-1335054241_thumb.jpg

Haven't used any stickers or decals on it yet, I'm not sure what I plan to do for the rest of the markings. Everything so far has been painted on, and I really like the way it looks. Haven't transformed it though, because I know I'll probably scratch everything up.

So I finally got off my butt, and finished the modifications to my VF-25F (the one I posted about building long ago), so I can finally call it nearly done. It's at least assembled now, and the custom wing tabs work beautifully to hold up the legs. :)

Haven't used any stickers or decals on it yet, I'm not sure what I plan to do for the rest of the markings. Everything so far has been painted on, and I really like the way it looks. Haven't transformed it though, because I know I'll probably scratch everything up.

Nice paint job! For some reason, I really like the matte finish on the thrusters.

BTW, where are you going to get the decals? It's been a long time since I opened up my VF-25F V2 Alto, but I don't recall any stickers or decals included with the toy.

Yep :lol: And actually the nozzles aren't matte, they're a buffed bronze finish. Needed better lighting to see it, but I love how they turned out.

That's all bare plastic, with the markings hand painted with a little masking. In hindsight, I wish I'd sprayed it, but I didn't have my airbrush at that point.

Yep :lol: And actually the nozzles aren't matte, they're a buffed bronze finish. Needed better lighting to see it, but I love how they turned out.

That's all bare plastic, with the markings hand painted with a little masking. In hindsight, I wish I'd sprayed it, but I didn't have my airbrush at that point.

How you guys manage to get such good results with a paintbrush, I'll never know. BTW, if you're concerned about scratching off paint, just add some Future to the paint or paint it on as a clear coat.

I might suck at painting by hand, but I've gotten great results from clear coating FFP. Works really well in toughening your paint, and even makes a decent primer.

Shaorin, is it just me, or is your F-14 lookin' in the mirror going, "yeah baby, you got some nice set of intakes!"

heh, yeah, i just had it standing on end while paint was setting,

and that just happened to be when i had decided to add my two Yen to the pot there over modelling workspaces...

Reminds me of that Arii GERWALK VF-1J Hikaru I never got around to finishing. Bought it like ten years ago, but abandoned the build shortly after buying my first PS2. :D

that was my VERY FIRST MACROSS model, back in '93/'94. to be honest, it was what got me into MACROSS to begin with.

i did a VERY SUCKY job on it, and, in the late 90's, i actually found another of the same exact kit at a thrift, and did a MARGINALLY better job there.

both are long gone now, and long superseded by this;

VF-1JYAMATO1-60John.jpg

VF-1JYAMATO1-60John3.jpg

VF-1JYAMATOstrike-a-pose2-21-112.jpg

Edited by Shaorin

How you guys manage to get such good results with a paintbrush, I'll never know. BTW, if you're concerned about scratching off paint, just add some Future to the paint or paint it on as a clear coat.

Actually, I don't know if I'd call the paint job a great result. You can't tell from those shots, but the only paint that went on smooth at all is the black, and even that got a bit lumpy in places. I used all flat paints on it, and those do seem to give a better finish by hand than glosses, but it's only because you don't see the flaws a gloss coat would show.

Speaking off getting off butts and finishing things....finally added decals and some weathering and am calling 1:100 Mr. Glaug done. This kit is horrible. DO not attempt unless you are like WM Chang level. :ph34r: LOL. It sucks. Old kit, but after all my setbacks, it turned out OK in my opinion. At least I have a Glaug. ..... Toynami/Yamato... <_<

post-11393-0-58897300-1335123035_thumb.jpg

post-11393-0-07327400-1335123048_thumb.jpg

post-11393-0-67702500-1335123066_thumb.jpg

post-11393-0-17663800-1335123080_thumb.jpg

post-11393-0-73665200-1335123097_thumb.jpg

post-11393-0-47436200-1335123107_thumb.jpg

Speaking off getting off butts and finishing things....finally added decals and some weathering and am calling 1:100 Mr. Glaug done. This kit is horrible. DO not attempt unless you are like WM Chang level. :ph34r:

indeed, i'm beginning to think the same of that 1988 1/72 Hase F-14. over-engineered. beautifully over-engineered, but over-engineered all the same.

i'm beginning to think it just might be beyond my skill level to properly finish such a TINY, INTRICATE model...

Speaking off getting off butts and finishing things....finally added decals and some weathering and am calling 1:100 Mr. Glaug done. This kit is horrible. DO not attempt unless you are like WM Chang level. :ph34r: LOL. It sucks. Old kit, but after all my setbacks, it turned out OK in my opinion. At least I have a Glaug. ..... Toynami/Yamato... <_<

Now you just need to build a squadron of VF-1's and it'll be a true Battle Royale! I had one those 1:100 Mr. Glaug kits years ago, agreed not a very fun to work with, still yours looks great!!

Edited by 505thAirborne

Now you just need to build a squadron of VF-1's and it'll be a true Battle Royale! I had one those 1:100 Mr. Glaug kits years ago, agreed not a very fun to work with, still yours looks great!!

Thanks!

LOL---Yamato's 1:60 Ver 2's make up my VF-1 squadron....they're not in scale with all the pods...but mehhh...close enough. B))

Edited by derex3592

that was my VERY FIRST MACROSS model, back in '93/'94. to be honest, it was what got me into MACROSS to begin with.

i did a VERY SUCKY job on it, and, in the late 90's, i actually found another of the same exact kit at a thrift, and did a MARGINALLY better job there.

both are long gone now, and long superseded by this;

Same here. In recent months I was planning to salvage the VF-1J kit, maybe strip the paint and redo it. Was even planning to get some Gundam hands to replace the ham fists, and mod the legs to make a decent GERWALK. But every time I take a glance at my Yamato 1/60 V2 VF-1J Hikaru all suped up in armor parts, I start to ask, "Why bother?"

Said project is in the backburner right now, piled under a stack of Border Break kits and a couple of DMK TF's.

Actually, I don't know if I'd call the paint job a great result. You can't tell from those shots, but the only paint that went on smooth at all is the black, and even that got a bit lumpy in places. I used all flat paints on it, and those do seem to give a better finish by hand than glosses, but it's only because you don't see the flaws a gloss coat would show.

Man, I thought it was just me and my Tamiya acrylics.

Damn, hand painting isn't quite as easy as I thought it'd be. I was hoping to go from spray painting to hand painting because it's easier to clean up, and you could do it in an air-conditioned room (acrylics, at least), but it seems the results just can't match those of an airbrush or canned spray.

Nice job for an old kit. The first kit I ever built was an old Arii VF-1J Battroid Max Custom. It was a nightmare; warped parts, pegs that don't fit.... <_<

Edited by GU-11

Wow, nice house! Marble countertops, pool table...

Nice little collection goin there, too! Nice clean builds.

1:72 baby!

post-12411-0-41442800-1335172205_thumb.jpg post-12411-0-18494700-1335172201_thumb.jpg

Ah, the old kits can be a fun challenge. I'll still take a modern Hasegawa/Wave over this, though.

hey, any of you guys ever try 91% isopropyl alcohol to remove TAMIYA paints?

i have, and it works GREAT!! the stuff will even remove the paint when FULLY DRY/CURED. how's about that?

make a mistake, no problem!! ^_^

I TRIED SO hard to find that 1:72 kit. But no luck!

Those old Arii Glaug kits are a pain. It took a lot of time and careful planning to get my 1:100 and 1:72 versions into decent models. Too many gaps and mismatched parts to deal with.

post-7534-0-40492000-1335236269_thumb.jpegpost-7534-0-52834000-1335236294_thumb.jpeg

I TRIED SO hard to find that 1:72 kit. But no luck!

I picked it up off of Yahoo Japan auctions probably in 2002 or so. Still see them floating to the surface once in a while.

Wow, that's some great paint jobs done on these Glaugs!

There's also this "to-be-annouced" Glaug in pre-painted version that looks nice http://www.e2046.com/product/15641

Or its original version here http://www.e2046.com/product/15489

They're SD but, I may give it a try later if nothing comes from Yamadaïnami (or Toyamadai, don't remember) :p

There's also this "to-be-annouced" Glaug in pre-painted version that looks nice http://www.e2046.com/product/15641

They're SD but, I may give it a try later if nothing comes from Yamadaïnami (or Toyamadai, don't remember) :p

That looks freaking awesome! I hope it actually does come out!

d55084b800db716b6509d9e0cc65a887_4.jpg

e2046.com don't sell original kits what they sell are recasts

Spartans never get any love... have to brush up the skillz before attempting the Yammie SDF-1post-129-0-86793400-1335993253_thumb.jpg

Man did I have to grind away to get some movement out of the feet

Edited by pfunk

Spartans never get any love... have to brush up the skillz before attempting the Yammie SDF-1post-129-0-86793400-1335993253_thumb.jpg

Heh, you're gonna be doing a lot of grinding on those old kits to make them look right/fill in the seems etc...

Heh, you're gonna be doing a lot of grinding on those old kits to make them look right/fill in the seems etc...

off to the right of the pic sits the dremel with sanding disk attached,,,, already been at it

This is a difficult one to build. I remember doing a lot of sanding and filling on mine. The way Imai designed these kits are not build friendly like the modern Wave kits. It is also disappointing that the shoulder missile hatches don't open. But this is a rare kit and worth putting together. Good luck. ;)

This is a difficult one to build. I remember doing a lot of sanding and filling on mine. The way Imai designed these kits are not build friendly like the modern Wave kits. It is also disappointing that the shoulder missile hatches don't open. But this is a rare kit and worth putting together. Good luck. ;)

Thanks, ive been going through putty like crazy. And the way it builds you have to assemble dang near everything jointed before paint. Hope it comes out OK, been a long time since I did a model