Whats Lying on your Workbench MK IV

Urashiman

WOW! LOTS of cool builds going on! I've been too busy to post lately. Just to highlight:

@arbitAWESOME sculpts and the painted bridge crew NEVER disappoints! The new sculpts look great to include the Capn's pipe in hand!

@bzwacks Welcome aboard! AWESOME sculpt and rendering of the SDF-1! Are you doing that in ABS? If so, Acetone is an awesome and cheap cement for it - you're gonna need a lot! - MT

5 hours ago, Bolt said:

Hey @arbit i just had another thought. How about a leveled up Misa? 😉Standing (giving orders) or sitting ("")..

Did you see my Captain Misa?  I have lots of Misas. And more coming. Check out my Patreon.

On 2/7/2023 at 4:39 AM, bzwacks said:

My first post. but long time lurker and collector. I have been 3D printing for quite a while, but have recently started applying it to my Macross hobbys. This is my current build. It's my take on the SDF-1 DYRL version.

Whoaaaaaaaaa!

8 hours ago, MechTech said:

@arbitAWESOME sculpts and the painted bridge crew NEVER disappoints! The new sculpts look great to include the Capn's pipe in hand!

😍 Thanks.

Reliant getting final flat coat today when it warms up. In the mean time... The current three projects I have running concurrently.... The wife had NEVER seen The Hunt for Red October so I made her watch it last night.. She was bored...🤔 🙄 😂 I give up....Pressin on! 

20230212_094207.jpg

41 minutes ago, derex3592 said:

Reliant getting final flat coat today when it warms up. In the mean time... The current three projects I have running concurrently.... The wife had NEVER seen The Hunt for Red October so I made her watch it last night.. She was bored...🤔 🙄 😂 I give up....Pressin on! 

20230212_094207.jpg

Love that movie! The 'making of' is pretty good too. 

Some nice shading going on the Dallas.

The arms of the Pegasus are glued into place, but there are some gaps to fill, seeing how they have been moved from their original positions. 

uD3BBVH.jpg

I have plenty of scrap plastic to fill those! But before then, I needed to get the parts for the arm faces done up. Moebius left them flat rather than making some cover pieces, but Paragraphix has a good set, though quite flat. The Shapeways alternative looks better, but that is too price, esp as I'll need two sets.

So beefed up the PE with plastic backing, some misc parts to make it a little more 3D and then the resin magic started.

kUMvrJz.jpg

Jm0xeme.jpg

The first pull is pretty good. There are a couple of air bubbles to contend with, but that should be easy. Now I need to cast a second set, and maybe a third if I need it, who knows?!

Thom

Edited by Thom

3 hours ago, derex3592 said:

20230212_094207.jpg

Looking GOOD! The Hunt For Red October is such a great movie! But the wives don't care.🤷

2 hours ago, Thom said:

The arms of the Pegasus are glued into place, but there are some gaps to fill, seeing how they have been moved from their original positions. 

uD3BBVH.jpg

I have plenty of scrap plastic to fill those! But before then, I needed to get the parts for the arm faces done up. Moebius left them flat rather than making some cover pieces, but Paragraphix has a good set, though quite flat. The Shapeways alternative looks better, but that is too price, esp as I'll need two sets.

So beefed up the PE with plastic backing, some misc parts to make it a little more 3D and then the resin magic started.

kUMvrJz.jpg

Jm0xeme.jpg

The first pull is pretty good. There are a couple of air bubbles to contend with, but that should be easy. Now I need to cast a second set, and maybe a third if I need it, who knows?!

Thom

Good job mate. I love the details!

@derex3592 The next step is to ask your wife if she wants to go to the "Submarine races." No, you can't see them. It's an OLD attempt as a make out trick🤣

@Thom Those mods and details are looking great! Your effort is definitely going to make that an awesome build. - MT

10 hours ago, derex3592 said:

The wife had NEVER seen The Hunt for Red October so I made her watch it last night.. She was bored...🤔 🙄 😂 I give up....Pressin on! 

My lady isn’t into older movies or anime or absurd B movies, so there’s certain things I watch when she’s not around. There are things that we do like watching together and she has a few shows that she watches when I’m not around. Sometimes there will be a movie or show that I think she’ll love and she’s just not interested. And sometimes it’s the other way around. Just don’t get too disappointed when things aren’t a match and remember that it’s only entertainment 

@Big s Yeh, I hear you man, she likes oooolder stuff and I'm a kid of the 80's/90's. when (as everyone here KNOWS, ALL the BEST stuff was made!!!) But we do watch TV shows together, Star Trek TNG, she LOVED DS-9/Breaking Bad/LOST and now we're about half way through Better Call Saul. She loves that too. Anywhooo...good advice!  Reliant final pics when I get a chance later tonight or maybe tomorrow. Just gotta finish up the stand. 

21 hours ago, electric indigo said:

When you don't have any F-18 walkway decals...

52687253250_5ab6ca3445_c.jpg

Awesome man!

I‘ve done some paperwork yesterday.

D65E81F2-0A70-4F25-BA30-D623C47BB2A0.jpeg.7450af88e95d421089fcba5b2d67e7be.jpeg

C8A1235F-17B0-40DA-A871-C1CC2FD352BB.jpeg.ea035d6da70fd11f7fee705baf5de81d.jpeg

had to many cardboard boxes flying around and decided to build this. Glides through the air like an unfolded box. Hahaha

did some pre-shading on the VF-19A, X-29 and VF-1A.78389451-FC4B-4007-8E86-419D6B375288.jpeg.ede67efbb7c00d11448ac668e2f74aa1.jpeg

2 hours ago, Urashiman said:

did some pre-shading on the VF-19A, X-29 and VF-1A.

Wow, busy workbench!

The Fighter, Ladder and Figure are theoretically the same scales.  How do they look?

Screenshot2023-02-1420_20_33.png.ec81806c40ffc56da68ccb21a29ed444.png

Edited by arbit

3 hours ago, Urashiman said:

Awesome man!

I‘ve done some paperwork yesterday.

D65E81F2-0A70-4F25-BA30-D623C47BB2A0.jpeg.7450af88e95d421089fcba5b2d67e7be.jpeg

C8A1235F-17B0-40DA-A871-C1CC2FD352BB.jpeg.ea035d6da70fd11f7fee705baf5de81d.jpeg

had to many cardboard boxes flying around and decided to build this. Glides through the air like an unfolded box. Hahaha

did some pre-shading on the VF-19A, X-29 and VF-1A.78389451-FC4B-4007-8E86-419D6B375288.jpeg.ede67efbb7c00d11448ac668e2f74aa1.jpeg

Looking great 👍🏼. Did the kitty fly the cardboard plane :D

1 hour ago, arbit said:

Wow, busy workbench!

The Fighter, Ladder and Figure are theoretically the same scales.  How do they look?

Screenshot2023-02-1420_20_33.png.ec81806c40ffc56da68ccb21a29ed444.png

Looks perfect!

10 hours ago, Big s said:

That’s an impressive use of what normally would just be trash.

My dad once build an RC model boat from old cardboard and basically drenched it in clear lacquer color to make it waterproof. It worked!

Unfortunately it tipped over due to a large wave and sank, but hey, that was the risk of RC boats in the 80s.

1 hour ago, pengbuzz said:

Hey Arbit,

Most of it looks pretty good, but to me at least, the legs seem a tad too ling in both the upper and lower leg.

good feedback. Thanks. Maybe I can adjust a bit for that kind of pose.

But you know, the legs are pretty long in the line art.

Screenshot2023-02-1516_09_03.png.0354b9f7c12c3dcee29f6ee38fb273c8.png

Edited by arbit

2 hours ago, arbit said:

That is what they call "superhero legs". Proportionally too long legs for the characters in comics and mangas. Just look at hand drawn females and such. It is just over the top. It is troublesome to draw men with realistic shorter legs. The characters look really weird then. You can either choose the manga/comic style and keep the long legs, or do realistic style but shorten the legs. The inbetween causes the uncanny valley to trigger and something seems off all the time.

2 hours ago, arbit said:

Those definitely should be long, but seeing it right next to the line art and maybe the feet are too small. He’s like a size 16 or something for the shoes