Whats Lying on your Workbench MK IV

Urashiman

On 1/23/2023 at 5:03 AM, Urashiman said:

Base shade color on the vf-19A done :)

9B365444-FEE4-4D91-8918-23D9E726DBF9.jpeg.6b6532446e78777e705c0cf8023bade5.jpeg

The purple looks good. Looking forward to seeing it blended.

On 1/23/2023 at 9:26 AM, derex3592 said:

Got my Aztecs in for the 1/1000 Reliant and Enterprise. Lightened up the preshading just a bit more then got most of the Aztecs down on the Reliant over the weekend along with starting on the actual kit decals. No real issues to report. Good quality decals. Also got the Enterprise basic assembly done and the saucer primed. Also got a 1st round of a mottled paint job down on my 1/350 US Attack sub. (Pictures later) 

20230121_192555.jpg

20230122_150526.jpg

20230122_150538.jpg

20230115_085624.jpg

Nice job.!

9 hours ago, arbit said:

Just for fun, I am taking votes for which Milia pilot I should release for free. Most votes wins.

851436484_Untitledpresentation2.jpg.2f32d0130bbad8bf534b9d150a5b4334.jpg

592599529_Untitledpresentation3.jpg.c313351ab0bb887312a6b8cd08a86578.jpg

#4 is my favorite, for sure.!

8 hours ago, arbit said:

I have been making a bunch of 3D figures, as you know, and didn't know what to do with them, so this is what I came up with.

I don't sell any figures. All my figures are free.  There are many reasons for this, but primarily it's just a hobby, and I have a lot of fun of doing it and sharing it with others.  I would rather 100 people have my figures for free, than selling 2 or 3 pieces online.  The big payoff is to see people use my figures in their projects. 

So, rather than hording my figures or monetizing them, I release each "main" figure for free, and give "variant" figure poses to my supporters on Patreon.   I also made my Patreon as cheap as possible at 2 dollars, so anyone can get whatever they need.  It's just for fun to chat with like-minded fans and get their encouragement.

That's very generous of you @arbit ! 
As I don't have a 3d printer, i will still be happy to buy some of your printed designs from you or anyone else. 

3 hours ago, Thom said:

She has her helmet on and it looks to be a more 'action' oriented pose, i.e. gripping the controls.

True, but this brings up a question, in that pose, what handles are they gripping exactly? The handles are way out on the side!!!  

8 minutes ago, Bolt said:

#4 is my favorite, for sure.!

Yes, but now that I look at it, For the "All Go" signal, her thumb should be more downward, shouldn't it? Or is it fine as is?

@Bolt I don't sell prints.  You could go to a print shop, or better yet, find a friend to print you one for free.  PM me if you don't know anyone, I'm glad to help the old-timers on the Workbench.  

1 minute ago, pengbuzz said:

Well, you could always do one of her and Max choking each other over the console and call it "wedded bliss!" lol

Im too much of a romantic for that lol.

10 minutes ago, arbit said:

Yes, but now that I look at it, For the "All Go" signal, her thumb should be more downward, shouldn't it? Or is it fine as is?

I mean i like the possible interpretations there. It's an "all go!" Or it's her telling a technician which thruster is lagging. Or she's explaining to the captain why she took the shot..😉

13 minutes ago, arbit said:

@Bolt I don't sell prints.  You could go to a print shop, or better yet, find a friend to print you one for free.  PM me if you don't know anyone, I'm glad to help the old-timers on the Workbench

Thanks ! Very much appreciated! I'll be looking at your patreon too, it's always good to support deculture!

5 hours ago, arbit said:

True, but this brings up a question, in that pose, what handles are they gripping exactly? The handles are way out on the side!!! 

Good point, good point! 😀

5 hours ago, pengbuzz said:

Well, you could always do one of her and Max choking each other over the console and call it "wedded bliss!" lol

That's a idea for a few more poses though, the knife 'fencing' on their first date.

macross-knife-fight-max-vs-millia.gif

Edited by Thom

1 hour ago, Goodman Models said:

@Boltenigma is looking great so far!

Thanks very much ! 
Here's the latest !

Freshly peeled masking from the canopy (It's just sitting on the cockpit) needs some touching up. Needs it all over! The decals need a sharp blade to cut in the panel lines. And speaking of decals, these are beautiful, they came as an additional  set to the Hasegawa VF-1 clear model set.  I was immensely surprised and Stoked when I discovered them . I omitted the left breast NC decal, for now, as i think it might be too much. One thing I decided  to roll with was the light color of the decals i ended up using. There were two shades darker , as an option. It looked like they too closely matched the low viz though, like it does on the intake decals (I'm planning on pasting lighter ones over the intake decals ) What looked like the lightest gray option, ended up looking closer to white. Not my ideal, but it's ok. 
I'm planning on adding a tow bar to the forward landing gear . And i still have to finish installing landing gear doors and finish the pilot. Etc, etc.  :rolleyes:

There will be Missiles mounted to it , in the end. And a gun pod sitting on a carriage nearby, ready for mounting.!

Sorry about the bad pics.30908D0D-8E8A-4E54-96C7-2C639DF38634.jpeg.04c4b3c3e9ae5b46576d1b770f79ed7e.jpeg9CA7FC4E-C3EA-4F72-BDFC-2ECA6A4F4E06.jpeg.862d17a8e0fb161158d6c63d596a47c5.jpeg

See you Space Cowboys next Deculture.

Edited by Bolt

WOW! I miss getting online for a few days and there's two pages of stuff to go through! I ran out of "likes" going through the photos!

Just some quick comments, though everyone's work is looking great and is encouraging!

@Urashiman Your models are looking great and so is all that paint work you're doing!

@arbit Thank you for sharing all your work on the figures! They are looking awesome as always! Which Myria pose? I don't know! The one with her and the baby are very different from what you might normally see.

@pengbuzz I'm sorry one of your Tomcats didn't make it back to the carrier! The rest of the work you did is superb and the details are awesome! I hope you come across that lost Tomcat soon! You need to launch a search another rescue mission!

@Bolt Your modifications and revised paint schemes are cool and look great!

@wm cheng Absolutely AWESOME photos of your models! I may have to try out your methods. Photographing models and even tiny parts is tough with such short focal lengths.

@derex3592 Your aztec decals and paint are looking good. Those details help build its scale up and add realism.

@SpacePirateNeko I remember building that Star Wars ship MANY years ago! It's a good platform for detailing and highlighting paint.

Quick updates on the Oto Melara Cannon.

The mantels and gun bases have been painted. The mantlets need some cleanup. This is NOT an easy masking job.

1203451718_1-72F97.jpg.9e05fb372e3bc7aff250c36cb2075dae.jpg

2131895590_1-72F98.jpg.f04fb9243fd4063cce29047826ab4de1.jpg

Paint crackle looks cool on antiques, BAD on your models! The top paint coat reacted badly with the base. Used the "LA's Totally Awesome" cleaner to strip the paint down to the plastic and repaint it with only one color.

1538222710_1-72F99.jpg.101039de0a406857de38d667893c8545.jpg

The barrels and muzzle brakes were colored with acids to make them more durable vs using paint.

1622810341_1-72F100.jpg.b0d3776e11a252b773b7b7a7f0d56c51.jpg

That's it for now. Thanks for checking in guys! - MT

6 hours ago, pengbuzz said:

UPDATE: the CVN-65 project is now on permanent hold. A major financial issue has shut down all of my projects now until further notice.

Thanks for watching folks; please consider this project closed. I don't think I'll be posting much at this rate. :(

-pb.

Aww man :(

12 hours ago, pengbuzz said:

UPDATE: the CVN-65 project is now on permanent hold. A major financial issue has shut down all of my projects now until further notice.

Thanks for watching folks; please consider this project closed. I don't think I'll be posting much at this rate. :(

-pb.

Hang in there, we’ll be waiting in hopes that one day we’ll see the end of this project. Good luck and keep your spirits up.
Personally everything I’ve worked on over the last couple years has been on hold at the paint process due to packing and moving. Got the place, but weather has added some challenges to setting aside a lot of time and space. Basically sideways rain somehow try to get underneath the door on the second floor. But hoping to finally be getting back to posting some updates. Got a few kits either cleaned and ready for paint or snipped and glued just needing some putty to fill seams. Got projects from Obsolete, Macross, Ghost in the Shell, Gundam, Votoms, and Front Missions coming hopefully very soon. 

I managed to eek along some today. Worked a bit on the VF-4 Enigma. Landing gear and gear doors, prepped pilot and missiles. Much more devil in the details to do.. Also worked some on the Moscato Tomahawk. I pinned the ankles , knees (both points on each knee) hips , waist and shoulders, so far. For maximum pose ability. Gonna switch hats, at some point, and really focus on finishing the Super Lancer too..D421C2AC-1B63-400C-BCC8-9C4019C7FCA0.jpeg.d938e61587e17ab6d74fe032472c7e89.jpegA523B38E-2166-454E-9899-564649CF9706.jpeg.42d55911ecbff48afff7a0a1a1a5b6fc.jpegF21617F9-9776-4064-937F-5913F6B6C160.jpeg.5e4efc529e52b4a9ff44124f3ff96732.jpeg

See you Space Cowboys next Deculture..

@Bolt Your Enigma looks great! I love that scheme. The Tomahawk is showing a lot of promise. I'll be keeping a close eye on this thread hoping to see more progress!

@MechTech I'm scratching my head here. With all of that insanely difficult precision work that you do, you're commenting on the difficulties of masking? Too funny! As always, your work is looking great. You're the best scratch builder on the site!

On 1/25/2023 at 7:42 AM, MechTech said:

Paint crackle looks cool on antiques, BAD on your models! The top paint coat reacted badly with the base. Used the "LA's Totally Awesome" cleaner to strip the paint down to the plastic and repaint it with only one color.

Set backs are always frustrating! But it looks like you're still making great progress!

20 hours ago, Thom said:

We all have kits on the Suspend Shelf @pengbuzz. It's a good looking model and just needs to wait a bit before it gets put back into fine fashion. Til then, we shall anxiously await your return!😁

That will be sometime in early 2024, when we can finally the situation we're in now straightened out. :(

I think I have a problem..... 🤔  Voyager has been added to the to build pile... LOL 

Reliant decals proceeding.... Screwed one up, kind of a main one on top of course! U shape rounded decal over a complex multi level curve.... Yeh... Ok. Polar Lights. My biggest problem was that I was looking at the decal placement sheet and not the freakin box art. Would have seen immediately that it was supposed to go higher. Oh well. Tried soaking it in Micro Set but no good. Once these things are down they are down for good 😧

20230128_114537.jpg

20230128_164318.jpg

10 minutes ago, derex3592 said:

I think I have a problem..... 🤔  Voyager has been added to the to build pile... LOL 

Reliant decals proceeding.... Screwed one up, kind of a main one on top of course! U shape rounded decal over a complex multi level curve.... Yeh... Ok. Polar Lights. My biggest problem was that I was looking at the decal placement sheet and not the freakin box art. Would have seen immediately that it was supposed to go higher. Oh well. Tried soaking it in Micro Set but no good. Once these things are down they are down for good 😧

20230128_114537.jpg

20230128_164318.jpg

Could try light sanding to remove it. If you don’t have a sore for it, it looks like you could just paint that section grey and either get some stripe decals or mask and paint the red lines

4 hours ago, derex3592 said:

20230128_114537.jpg

20230128_164318.jpg

Use some tape. Stick it down on the decal and pull it up, just watch out for the other ones.

4 hours ago, pengbuzz said:

That will be sometime in early 2024, when we can finally the situation we're in now straightened out. :(

Hope it's sooner than that, and not because of modeling, but because you certainly don't need any more shite. Don't be a stranger.;)

@Bolt That is a great looking force you are building up there!

Edited by Thom

Finally got the head redone! Will need to clean some things up, but this part is basically finished, Yay!😁

The blue are pieces from a small TIE fighter kits, as are the nine resin 'missile arrays,' the beige are cut up pieces from the old head, and the central piece at the back is a resin copy from a part of a AMT/ERTL X-Wing. The HEW turrets are just press-fit into drilled holes.

zYwsAUa.jpg

b7D3BQo.jpg

With that out of the way I can move onto reattaching the arms to the flight pods.

Thom

Would kind of be a waste to not get this star destroyer wannabee not loaded up with LEDS. Anyone know any good guides to getting that done in a fairly cheap manor? Ive seen many guides but they all seem to focus on the drilling and installing...thats the easy part though. Im trying to find out how to actually get this stuff wired up..like whats the power source, hows that all work. Yodabashi sells pretty cheap LEDS.

5 hours ago, SpacePirateNeko said:

Would kind of be a waste to not get this star destroyer wannabee not loaded up with LEDS. Anyone know any good guides to getting that done in a fairly cheap manor? Ive seen many guides but they all seem to focus on the drilling and installing...thats the easy part though. Im trying to find out how to actually get this stuff wired up..like whats the power source, hows that all work. Yodabashi sells pretty cheap LEDS.

I've only ever done single LED's , individually powered , on my models, so far. But i think Arduino boards and modules will be what I look into, once I've started in ernest on my hangar diorama. Haven't considered other sources yet. There's a lot of information on LED wiring, out there, i would hope someone has a good link for you. There's also utube..

7 hours ago, SpacePirateNeko said:

I could help you with your power plan. What do you have in mind? An On/Off switch for the entire lighting, or something more controlled with an arduino? Either can be fairly simple.

Question 1: Do you plan to solder?

@SpacePirateNekoCheap LED strips/LED tape are super easy to wire up and use and most come with a dimmer knob/on off switch.  I've used them on all of my lighted builds thus far. They come in different styles, but if you can get the double density ones, they give you more diodes per inch.  Also, you can spray Tamiya acrylics directly into them to change the color. Just my .02

Edited by derex3592

Thank you guys!

@BoltYour mecha collection and finishes are very diverse! Your diorama is getting there bit by bit too.

@Gabe QThank you! I'm humbled and honored. Yes, I HATE masking. I always seem to have issues.

@Thom Your mods are looking great! Nice details.

Got some painting done this weekend, but I'll post photos when it's all finished. - MT

On 1/30/2023 at 4:22 AM, arbit said:

I could help you with your power plan. What do you have in mind? An On/Off switch for the entire lighting, or something more controlled with an arduino? Either can be fairly simple.

Question 1: Do you plan to solder?

Not sure about soldering, i think i can get a cheap one in akihabara though. Def wanna do an on off switch. Thanks!

On 1/30/2023 at 4:42 AM, derex3592 said:

@SpacePirateNekoCheap LED strips/LED tape are super easy to wire up and use and most come with a dimmer knob/on off switch.  I've used them on all of my lighted builds thus far. They come in different styles, but if you can get the double density ones, they give you more diodes per inch.  Also, you can spray Tamiya acrylics directly into them to change the color. Just my .02

That sounds good...i basically wanna get the side lights on the ship  and then a few strong deep blue ones for the boosters. Do you have any links to the set you purchased? I looked up strips on amazon and there  is a ton of variety out there. Thanks for the tip!

I just bought these;

https://www.amazon.ca/dp/B01M1G1G6L/?coliid=I1QDKBTY9ITT92&colid=1IOYU7HL5MO03&ref_=lv_ov_lig_dp_it&th=1

They are so cheap at less than $2/strand of 20 LEDs - I was thinking I'd use these in my Moebius NuGalactica - they come with watch batteries and battery holders.  I just worry if they are so cheap if they'd burn out but they seem fine so far.  Just trying to find a accessible spot to put the battery pack.

10 minutes ago, wm cheng said:

I just bought these;

https://www.amazon.ca/dp/B01M1G1G6L/?coliid=I1QDKBTY9ITT92&colid=1IOYU7HL5MO03&ref_=lv_ov_lig_dp_it&th=1

They are so cheap at less than $2/strand of 20 LEDs - I was thinking I'd use these in my Moebius NuGalactica - they come with watch batteries and battery holders.  I just worry if they are so cheap if they'd burn out but they seem fine so far.  Just trying to find a accessible spot to put the battery pack.

Regarding LEDs burning out:

1. If they are parallel wired, you don't have a big worry because one burning out will not effect the rest. In serial wiring, if one goes out and they all go out.

2. I would worry about the 3v source going to those LEDs.  Most LEDs cannot handle 3v for very long.  Some white LEDs are rated for 3-3.2 forward voltage, but best practice is that each LED needs at least a 50 Ohm resistor for long-term safety.  So unless these LEDS are special and are rated above 3V, I would not trust them.

3. I definitely would not trust the white battery pack, so make sure you have access to switch it out.