Whats Lying on your Workbench MK IV

Urashiman

On 1/8/2023 at 3:48 PM, Shawn said:

Can we do an alternate universe where we put these on the flight deck of the Enterprise instead of the Tomcats? :)

image.png.4ae53dc8b117b24ddb8784b7dfe147b9.png

23 hours ago, Shawn said:

Those are from the Mospeada Inbit carrier from the last page :)

image.png.57692ba9041b65a9ee1eb534e18ae94f.png

That's cool ! But geez, painting all those crabs..

8 minutes ago, pengbuzz said:

Where's a cauldron of boiling water, a mallet and a bowl of melted butter when ya need'em?

Lol. Mmm. Crab..tis the season! But it's been too stormy to go out and throw traps..

5 minutes ago, arbit said:

Back from a break and ready to rumble.  These are now up for free download, plus lots of variants. https://www.patreon.com/arbitscalemodels

1603682292_Screenshot2023-01-0815_18_58.png.cf5d148044a9ad6231a872a93090b7f2.png

943341658_Screenshot2023-01-1003_32_52.png.98538dbcb3c49bb2906abfdc0efa88e6.png

Awesome ! 

56 minutes ago, Bolt said:

Awesome! How about more deck crew!:acute:

My plan for deck crew is to use the base SDF and DYRL pilot uniforms.  They could be with and without helmets in deck poses.  I have no plans to sculpt anything new. What do you think?

@pengbuzz That Victory is beautiful! I love the stand with the fancy paint and text too!

@arbit Your pilots look fantastic! Thank you for making them available to everyone too! I'll have to download them some day to hopefully print some day! - MT

1 hour ago, arbit said:

My plan for deck crew is to use the base SDF and DYRL pilot uniforms.  They could be with and without helmets in deck poses.  I have no plans to sculpt anything new. What do you think?

Sounds good. If you're not planning on sculpting anything new, what will you use as base designs..🤔

19 minutes ago, Bolt said:

Sounds good. If you're not planning on sculpting anything new, what will you use as base designs..🤔

the base SDF and DYRL pilot uniforms

finished, overall i think its ok. I want to make the next build cleaner though...get better at the airbrush. A few parts warped a little bit because of placing it too close to a heater. I wish the fastpack wasnt connected just by the small hinges on the back. On to the next projects...i wanna get something done before may for the contest.

PXL_20230110_140306409 (1).jpg

PXL_20230110_140419724 (1).jpg

PXL_20230110_140207203 (1).jpg

17 minutes ago, SpacePirateNeko said:

finished, overall i think its ok. I want to make the next build cleaner though...get better at the airbrush. A few parts warped a little bit because of placing it too close to a heater. I wish the fastpack wasnt connected just by the small hinges on the back. On to the next projects...i wanna get something done before may for the contest.

Such a dirty VF-1... to the car wash! haha!

Nice build though :)

11 minutes ago, Urashiman said:

Such a dirty VF-1... to the car wash! haha!

Nice build though :)

yea never been a fan of the  off the factory line look with valks.....roys been smashing through spaceship hulls...i expect hes picked up some dirt and oil. I thought it would work good since i wanted to leave the leg panel off

Edited by SpacePirateNeko

1 hour ago, SpacePirateNeko said:

Looks pretty good. You could probably fix the warping with a blow dryer. Just heat it a little then bend it slowxly and dip in some ice water to set the plastic 

16 hours ago, Bolt said:

Ah yes, I misunderstood what you meant ..👍🏼

People can get all kinds of flight deck crew from Fujimi and Hasegawa and other garage kits.  I don't see any need to sculpt my own.  And the Macross line art for Deck Crew is either really boring or incredibly difficult like in Macross Zero.  But I plan to make SDF and DYRL pilots standing around and doing stuff.

What could I possibly do as good as this? http://reedoak.com/?fbclid=IwAR1qZ0MgbpQmm4HghEROSZOB0KcyWSGqV3GLyVXP13JobJ5rLp0nDDLkw1I

Edited by arbit

3 hours ago, SpacePirateNeko said:

yea never been a fan of the  off the factory line look with valks.....roys been smashing through spaceship hulls...i expect hes picked up some dirt and oil. I thought it would work good since i wanted to leave the leg panel off

Fair :)

haha - yeah, roy is pushing the valks like crazy.

6 hours ago, SpacePirateNeko said:

Looks great! What contest?

4 hours ago, arbit said:

People can get all kinds of flight deck crew from Fujimi and Hasegawa and other garage kits.  I don't see any need to sculpt my own.  And the Macross line art for Deck Crew is either really boring or incredibly difficult like in Macross Zero.  But I plan to make SDF and DYRL pilots standing around and doing stuff.

What could I possibly do as good as this? http://reedoak.com/?fbclid=IwAR1qZ0MgbpQmm4HghEROSZOB0KcyWSGqV3GLyVXP13JobJ5rLp0nDDLkw1I

Those are all great. But they're 20th century, and they look it. I have Hasegawa deck crews in the box too. But they're not gonna look SPACY enough without some very tedious modifications. We need a new line of sci fi , Macross deck personnel and support vehicles! 

4 minutes ago, Bolt said:

Looks great! What contest?

Those are all great. But they're 20th century, and they look it. I have Hasegawa deck crews in the box too. But they're not gonna look SPACY enough without some very tedious modifications. We need a new line of sci fi , Macross deck personnel and support vehicles! 

I can be convinced.  But show me what you have in mind.  Pick one or two of your favorite "SPACY" suits.

Taking a quick break from the Reliant waiting on my set of Aztec decals to come in, so I've been slowly and bit by bit building my 1/350 Submarines when I have a spare minute here and there.  On these builds I am trying to apply ALL I've learned watching a bazillion YouTube videos the last couple of years on parts prep, gluing, sanding, putty, primering, rescribing panel lines (OMG THAT is some hard ish!!!) and painting.  And I mean REALLY trying! So I was sanding, sanding, sanding away on the main half seam down the side of the sub and not pleased with the results from everything on the right side of the picture....THEN I switched over to Barbatos Rex's recommendation of the two (black more course grit and white, finer grit) GLASS files and buffing stick. OMGGgggg....what a world of difference!  Now it's a little harder on a rounded submarine hull using a flat non flexible glass file, over a Tamiya sanding sponge or flexible sanding stick, but ohh man it's sooooo much faster and better. If you haven't tried some yet, do so! 

20230108_154806.jpg

@pengbuzz I'm sorry to hear about you losing parts. It's frustrating sometimes working in small scales just for that reason. One sneeze and bu-bye!

@SpacePirateNeko I think your weathering is perfect. Considering the SDF-1's crew was always flying sorties and always being attacked, who's got time for the wash rack!? That's a great finish!

@derex3592 The glass files are awesome! Also for doing clear parts. No more buffing out sprue marks in canopies. Those files do it for you! - MT

On 1/8/2023 at 1:06 PM, arbit said:

@wm cheng  Hi William.  This is what I have for your sugested "arguing" pose.    Both hands down may be easier to print, but I think I could do either well enough.

Let me know before finalizing. -arbit

884470359_Screenshot2023-01-0821_45_43.png.558e71d8b77618918ba8900f508f2325.png

1558558498_Screenshot2023-01-0821_46_11.png.bbb00dd8b8e0afc95c8605d0b77759d7.png

1708787200_Screenshot2023-01-0822_03_38.png.46669627dc2985c428c5d5ca4cf35a24.png

1360482135_Screenshot2023-01-0822_01_09.png.0039370d90bed4ad17b0e6cab97361ae.png

Sorry @arbit I missed this - they look wonderful!!! Especially the one with the arm up if that's possible?  Absolutely perfect!  How can I get my gubby little hands on a printed one? 😛

8 hours ago, SpacePirateNeko said:

Looking very gruby. Love it!

Looking smooth @derex3592 👍🏼

2 hours ago, arbit said:

I can be convinced.  But show me what you have in mind.  Pick one or two of your favorite "SPACY" suits.

First, thanks for entertaining this idea, it means a lot  :rolleyes:  Secondly, it's understood this is just an idea and there are no expectations. B))

Curtesy of Sketchley's Stats.

http://sdfyodogawa.mywebcommunity.org/Stats/Statistics/Flightsuits/Spacesuits.php

So you've got the "Space Suit " pretty down, shown here. Some of these in the standing pose, as you've done, will look great in a hangar. Especially adjacent to the RC-4E Rabbit !347F4D73-A49B-4950-9369-9F8D08010C5E.jpeg.27b431a1e47ae5783014bc0dc0c6c5a7.jpeg

As far as actual deck crew, there's three great examples .Though the first two are more appropriate for something like the VF-1/VF-11 era. The last one is Frontier era. The last one is my favorite, but I would be happy to see ANY of these or better yet, a combination of either. Obviously, it's also what works best for you @arbit,  in your design process. These may be just design cues or you can interpret them literally. I think there's a lot of wiggle room for designing deck crew..
SDF-1 era

ABD00B6D-6F76-40B0-A854-1CEF01CD2C75.jpeg.79a4b1e2010dfc869c86ac783553c632.jpeg
Digital Mission VF-X game era

8488E78C-73DC-4719-97E4-7FB3AB8E92EC.jpeg.21631d5ebdbd7fe58302a4c91231d39e.jpeg

Frontier era
E6F3AB79-BCB2-42DD-88D7-5E39F4C2EE10.jpeg.55c1880d970cddfc620edf67990f9bf6.jpeg
If you care for any input or cheerleading, just shout out ! 

Edited by Bolt

1 hour ago, Bolt said:

First, thanks for entertaining this idea, it means a lot  :rolleyes:  Secondly, it's understood this is just an idea and there are no expectations. B))

Curtesy of Sketchley's Stats.

Thanks for narrowing down the selection.  You gave me a good idea to use the Rabbit pilots, I had not thought of them as deck crew.  And I have Misa's SDF space suit ready as well. 

I did study Sketchly's page in depth when you sent it to me.  My thoughts: 1) The SDF deck crew space suit looks like a rush job by the designers.  I've studied it a lot, and I just can't figure out what to do with it to make it "SPACY". If I do that one, it would be sleeker, because I am just not that attracted to it.  2) The VF-X is way too complex for me, so that's out.  3)  The frontier crew look nice, kind of like a sci-fi rendition of modern real world deck crew.  They may be doable with some dedicated modeling time, but they will have to wait their turn.  

The good news is I plan a TON of deck crew with the base SDF and DYRL space suits I already have designed. I'm thinking 10-20 variations. 

Your encouragement and ideas are always welcome.

Edited by arbit

4 hours ago, Bolt said:

Who'd have thought that 'what's lying on my desktop' would end up on the 'workbench'. 😊

Please refer to the other links under 'Clothes & Equipment' for more ideas on such things as flight suits, uniforms, and equipment to round them out (E.g. Hikaru's SDFM Hand Light: http://sdfyodogawa.mywebcommunity.org/Stats/Statistics/personal/ClothesRadiosCampingSurvivalEquipment.php#SDFhandLight )

2 hours ago, arbit said:

I did study Sketchley's page in depth when you sent it to me.

Fixed!

2 hours ago, arbit said:

2) The VF-X is way too complex for me, so that's out.

Kazutaka Miyatake's design for that suit is both the most realistic, and the least like the other crew suits seen before and after it appeared—in short, it doesn't have EVA thrusters at the bottom of the backpacks, like all the other crew suits do.

I really like how Miyatake-san added all the floating straps to help sell the idea that the person is working in a vacuum in zero gravity.  However, it was only designed for a single shot (maybe two) for the opening animation of Digital Mission VF-X, which is why it is so much more complex then the other suits.

Edited by sketchley