Whats Lying on your Workbench MK IV

Urashiman

The story here is that this figure started out absolutely awful, but ended up great.  Don't give up! Save your work, sleep on it, and come back later for another look... maybe much later when you've learned a new trick!

1197319077_Screenshot2022-11-0815_50_06.png.083903c59941d14581adfad2f9a71393.png

Edited by arbit

5 hours ago, Urashiman said:

@wm cheng yeah, the gwh f-14 is super awesome so far. I like it. The detail is awesome and it fits together nicely. The Finemolds F-14 has more open panel options though and I found the finemolds one to have better panel accuracy in general. I am going to use Hasegawa Macross Zero F-14 decals (purchased them as a reproduction from some Chinese company).

I got the clips off of eBay. They are like 8-10€ish.

Now on to my favourite task (not). Canopy masking!

6D51858A-B5B8-4685-9D4B-1BEFFD53309B.jpeg.c555e53482cd397c7fff9956fb3a0322.jpeg
8AB907B8-CBC5-482C-8B06-AFA1BFB4904B.jpeg.964b9fa48a34118bfae9a2b7ea4768e5.jpeg

DD068E6E-12D3-4B6A-B19D-0B2D101FC260.jpeg.34b0e44948d4b500a1908ccc5e993c8b.jpeg

And after that, it was prime time!

This is my first time using Alclad II lacquer primer. This stuff is really rising the game compared to any other lacquer primer I used before. 100% recommended for anyone still using lacquer paint.

640401BC-6870-401F-A558-46EB6A4C93F7.jpeg.2b5fa2bf74f177f40c628daae495b459.jpeg

And in the tradition of Macross, no elevators! :p

Whenever possible, I always get paint masks, they make it so much easier. Your build is looking good in prime!

Thank you guys, I REALLY appreciate your positive feedback! It helps, especially when things are going slower than you "plan" on.

@wm cheng I would probably be buying the stuff too, but nobody makes this stuff. So, I have no other choice. It pushes your skills though, so it helps.

Like Thoim said, that is a Phantastic Phantom (really the only way to say it). Right now, you could enter that in a show and do REALLY good, possibly get a gold medal. I'm learning to judge for our upcoming show next year. You have a LOT of great details into that besides the aftermarket parts. It's looking Phenominal!

@Urashiman That Tomcat is looking terrific!

For canopy masking, I really love the latex stuff. I just used it for the Spitfire I did and there was no way even the pre-cut masks I had were going to do the justice the latex did. The masks even leaked despite burnishing them down. It's also faster and pulls less paint than tape. They have it with needle applicators, but I used a blob and ran it around with a sharpened toothpick. It got into all the nooks and crannies.

Thanks again guys! - MT

@Urashiman I noticed you’re using Alclad grey primer too, same as me and I had some slight flaking or chipping when I pulled the mask off the freshly primed and painted canopy.  Use a very sharp new exacto blade to cut around the mask before you pull it up, it minimizes the chipping but sometimes even the sharp exacto blade caused the flaking.  I don’t know why, but it’s happened to my last 3 models (GWH F-14, F-15 & FineMolds F-4) at the edges only.  Maybe it has something to do with using Mr. Color grey lacquers over it?  This never happened when I was just shooting straight Tamiya acrylics before.  I’ve had to hand brush touch ups on all the frames.

Thanks @Thom and @MechTech I see too many of my mistakes to ever put it in a show!  I always say to myself maybe I might bring this in until I make the first mistake or something happens and I have to attempt the repairs.  I have yet to complete a single modeling experience where everything when smoothly.

@wm cheng From learning how to judge models and having models judged, your models will NEVER be perfect - in your own eyes! I see flaws all over the place in award winning models! The difference, those that bring their models in win and those who don't - don't!😉 I KNOW everyone here agrees your models are contest quality!

@SpacePirateNeko @arbit Sorry guys. I didn't see your stuff pop up on my earlier post.

The fast packs look nice-n-dusty! "I've been too busy battling Zentraedi to wash my ride."

That Hikaru looks like the poster child for Petit Cola! Makes me wanna go buy one. Oh wait, it's not available in my galaxy😁 - MT

I’ve always had issues with Alclad’s paints sticking. They seem to work fine for static parts, but I also had issues with paint lift on masked parts and rubbing off on joints of poseable kits. I don’t know if it’s true, I’ve heard that they aren’t true lacquer like mr color and that may be the issue. I love using their chrome with a color clear for sensors on parts that you don’t really touch, but I tend to stay away from things that need masking. I have found that eraser putty doesn’t lift the paint, but that’s a bit harder to do precision stuff like a canopy 

Edited by Big s

1 hour ago, Big s said:

I’ve always had issues with Alclad’s paints sticking. They seem to work fine for static parts, but I also had issues with paint lift on naked parts and rubbing off on joints of poseable kits. I don’t know if it’s true, I’ve heard that they aren’t true lacquer like mr color and that may be the issue. I love using their chrome with a color clear for sensors on parts that you don’t really touch, but I tend to stay away from things that need masking. I have found that eraser putty doesn’t lift the paint, but that’s a bit harder to do precision stuff like a canopy 

That's good to know, I like the Alclad stuff because its pre-thinned to the perfect consistency and goes on so smooth!  Hmm maybe its time to look for something different - at least on the clear parts.  There are so many new paints out there, anyone can recommend an alternative pre-thinned for airbrush lacquer primer?  Hopefully that can be thinned with either Tamiya lacquer thinner or Mr. Color thinners/cleaners?

8 minutes ago, wm cheng said:

That's good to know, I like the Alclad stuff because its pre-thinned to the perfect consistency and goes on so smooth!  Hmm maybe its time to look for something different - at least on the clear parts.  There are so many new paints out there, anyone can recommend an alternative pre-thinned for airbrush lacquer primer?  Hopefully that can be thinned with either Tamiya lacquer thinner or Mr. Color thinners/cleaners?

I don’t know about pre thinned ones unfortunately. The last few years I’ve been using mr surfacer either through the airbrush or by rattle can and that’s been the toughest one that that I’ve found that doesn’t cause damage.
Just make sure to test any thing before use. Keep the junk parts from a kit and see how things react when switching to new methods. Some kits have multiple types of plastic and sometimes something that works great on one type of plastic gets weird or destructive on another 

@wm cheng Don't sell yourself short. Or assume that your build may not place. At the last show I went to, one of the models I entered was Airfix's 1/48 Race 80 Spitfire.  A model I know I made a fair number of mistakes on. I still got first place against a dozen other models that, to my eye, looked so much better. Sometimes it is best to let others be the judge, rather than ourselves.;)

@Thom Thanks a lot! Paint masks ... I haven't seen them around here in Germany. Would have to order them and ship them across the world.

@MechTech Thanks! I have the humbrol latex stuff, and used it on my VF-22. Ripped a bit of the paintjob with it. Next time I will peel more carefully. Hahaha!

@wm cheng I actually had that with any primer and any color, no way how and with what I mask it. It always rips if not peeled slowly and with care. I actually saw the Alclad primer in one of your old build threads and wanted to give it a try. :) For testing I sprayed some left over sprues and then used thinned revell email color over it. It worked so far. I know that the tamiya primer is really bad with the revell email colors. So tamiya spray can primer and acrylics works super good. The revell primer is super bad, but once you get it to stick to your model, it works good with any lacquer color. I had some humbrol primer for lacquer colors year ago. That was good stuff. I used mr. color lacquers on my SV-51 nora and totally wrecked that model. The color started to get britle and fall off, and as I lost a wing during a move, I just canned it and purchased a new kit (which still is in queue). If you want to mix lacquer and acrylics, always follow the rules:
1. Give it time to cure.
2. Never lacquer over acrylics, the lacquer thinner easily melts away acrylics even when cured.
3. Acrylic colors over lacquer colors work, but not acrylic colors over lacquer primer. It'll just fall off, or will brush off easily.
4. Lacquer colors can work over acrylic primer if you apply the first two coats super careful and thin.

At least this is my experience.

As for pre-thinned lacquer colors, the revell airbrush ones are really crazy. I got the blue for my old YF-21 (build around 2003-2004ish). That color sticks like crazy. You don't even need to prime or seal.

On 10/2/2022 at 7:12 PM, Urashiman said:

Aww man, I didn’t mean to disencourage you. Feel free to post as much as you like. I started off with a 0.3MP cam and a super old photoshop version as well. I just wanted to give some advice. :(

I apologise 

No, it's okay. I'm the one who should apologize. I flew off the handle when I should have just read what you said without assuming anything was inferred. Please forgive my attitude. :(

On that note: a family friend talked with my wife and pulled some strings for her to get me a couple of gifts for this Christmas: Photoshop CS5 Extended and a Digital Camera with an f-stop setting (Kodak Easyshare Z650), so by the time my new CVN-65 carrier is finished, I'll be able to photograph it properly and do all the stuff you suggested in Photoshop (finally!). :D

21 hours ago, pengbuzz said:

No, it's okay. I'm the one who should apologize. I flew off the handle when I should have just read what you said without assuming anything was inferred. Please forgive my attitude. :(

On that note: a family friend talked with my wife and pulled some strings for her to get me a couple of gifts for this Christmas: Photoshop CS5 Extended and a Digital Camera with an f-stop setting (Kodak Easyshare Z650), so by the time my new CVN-65 carrier is finished, I'll be able to photograph it properly and do all the stuff you suggested in Photoshop (finally!). :D

No worries - and man, that is awesome!

On 11/9/2022 at 12:32 AM, MechTech said:

Sorry guys. I didn't see your stuff pop up on my earlier post.

The fast packs look nice-n-dusty! "I've been too busy battling Zentraedi to wash my ride."

That Hikaru looks like the poster child for Petit Cola! Makes me wanna go buy one. Oh wait, it's not available in my galaxy😁 - MT

@MechTech That's so nice of you.  I wanted to thank you for your positive encouragement to all the member on this forum. 

On 11/8/2022 at 4:28 PM, SpacePirateNeko said:

small update...id say they are around 50 percent there

@SpacePirateNeko Those are some dusty fast packs. Love 'em!!!

8 hours ago, derex3592 said:

So this happened.... LOL. Add em to the "stash"! 

So how did it happen exactly? You slipped and bought two giant subs 😁?

3 hours ago, arbit said:

@MechTech That's so nice of you.  I wanted to thank you for your positive encouragement to all the member on this forum. 

@SpacePirateNeko Those are some dusty fast packs. Love 'em!!!

So how did it happen exactly? You slipped and bought two giant subs 😁?

What? No mayo or green pepper on either one of them? And they're not even roast beef! O.o

I was a bit bored today, so I grabbed a kit, which a friend brought me, during a Japan visit. A re-issue of the original bandai 1980 RX-78 kit. Gonna be a quick in between build.

C168514F-72E7-439E-AA1D-72120A38F763.jpeg.66139b7413ab34d341f6de9e066537d3.jpeg

The kit is okay, for a 1980s kit, but by today’s standards, it is super bad. I had to use clamps all the time to make sure stuff isn’t taking itself apart.

here are some progress pictures.

80C7E0A8-1156-4611-B261-69ECF3E26F40.jpeg.71ac584c2a2ab35ccd9a88005d1d7543.jpeg

94A86E11-BF91-439C-8C2F-8C6CB05A001B.jpeg.a0989499a2790da303568c850906e477.jpeg

2D962CC8-DB39-4746-9E86-1D20E849796E.jpeg.d0acd55dca76712a9daef0b413da1c4b.jpeg

3F649776-8D8C-4661-BC06-21F9F83A6871.jpeg.d3e835032f70bd23abfde6a3827d873b.jpeg

15AFA484-1C23-4D96-B8FF-A722780F7216.jpeg.d624fbf86db8402d864f1c72b7e98634.jpeg

It‘ll be primed tomorrow and then be painted with acrylics.

On 11/13/2022 at 1:23 AM, Thom said:

@Urashiman, did the kit come with all those clamps?!:p Just kidding. It is sure to go together nice for you.

Hahaha - that would have been great! There is no way you ever have enough clamps!

So, I was priming that RX-78 yesterday evening with a rattle spray can primer from Citadel. Corax White! I will start to brush paint it with acrylics today evening.

rx-78_002.jpeg.39eda4ca936b66430a6649bb933aa9a6.jpeg

rx-78_001.jpeg.583bb553410ead72a235d0a0c491f93a.jpeg

I am way too lazy to sand all those seams. I tried to sand them, but they are super big. One probably can make a good model from that kit, but I don't care. hahahaha. It is not a MG RX-78, and I want to use my "motivation" to continue on that F-5B I still have unfinished on my bench.

Edit:

Some F-14 preshading happened today, and I love my new airbrush. No more "burping" and uncontrolled splattering. It was a good idea to get new ones.

IMG_7190.JPG.2e1820bf0d8cd9fdaac98e7456807c28.JPG

IMG_7191.JPG.72abb3fa0d9144a21ad31a9865af733c.JPG

Edited by Urashiman

On 11/14/2022 at 3:55 AM, Urashiman said:

Edit:

Some F-14 preshading happened today, and I love my new airbrush. No more "burping" and uncontrolled splattering. It was a good idea to get new ones.

Funny enough, splatter effects are what I want to add/try on mine this round. https://www.aviationmegastore.com/en/modelling/airbrush-template-set-airbrush-stencils-for-spraying-stains-set-a-propeller-77-prp007-171316.html

20221114_073624.jpg

Trying out 2 new things tonight. 1. Robot Kai's paint bottles ( love 'em and will be ordering 25 more.) 2. for the first time in a long time, airbrushing my primer instead of spray cans! Using black surfacer 1500 thinned 1:1.5 paint:thinner. This should allow less paint thickness and prevent allow me to do my black-basing in one go. Decided to fix everything to the craft. Last time I left parts separate and the tonality differences between the assemblies was a pain to hide/correct. More masking downside. Going tri-tone with free hand color separations for this one!

Cleared for takeoff One Five Four!

20221119_163303.jpg

@Rock Tomcats looking GREAT!

TITANIC update! - PE smokestack ladders folded, painted and installed yesterday. First rigging lines attached to the deck too!  Life boats all going on hopefully later on today! Last weekend consisted of making custom canvas looking covers for ALL of them using newspaper. Came out good though! Moving on! 

20221120_072618.jpg

20221120_110420.jpg

20221120_113850.jpg

13 hours ago, derex3592 said:

@Rock Tomcats looking GREAT!

TITANIC update! - PE smokestack ladders folded, painted and installed yesterday. First rigging lines attached to the deck too!  Life boats all going on hopefully later on today! Last weekend consisted of making custom canvas looking covers for ALL of them using newspaper. Came out good though! Moving on! 

20221120_072618.jpg

20221120_110420.jpg

20221120_113850.jpg

That is coming out great.

Will you be adding any passengers?