Whats Lying on your Workbench MK IV

Urashiman

4 hours ago, MechTech said:

@derex3592 The work on the Titanic is looking great! The windows look real with the lighting. I don't know what it is, but ammo works great for holding parts while gluing. Its too bad about your cutters. The God Hand cutters are the best from what I've seen. I guess they say cut the parts off with some of the sprue, then clean it off with those. I've found the cleanest cuts are actually SLOWLY cutting the parts, not nipping them quickly. That's the weird part.

@pengbuzz Sorry about your hand. You are making some 'UGE changes to that kit! They are vast improvements and looking great! Go crazy, add another gun turret! That stand also adds a richness to it. Classy! - MT

Thanks! I'll have further updates in a bit. I still need to do some custom work on the engine nozzle, the underside and considering some rigging perhaps. Just need to see what I can do here!

(please tell me that "Great Yamato" is a joke, right? lol )

As to the cutters working better when cutting slowly: at the microscopic level, you're applying pressure to a metal v-shaped wedge (the blade), trying to push it through the plastic material. When you try to do it fast, the plastic will tend to tear and break as it cannot move aside fast enough. With a slower, more even pressure, the plastic will move around the blade and separate more cleanly. You also take less risk in bending the blade cutting slowly.

Hi all, do you any of you know if their are fixed pose hands out there that might be the right size/proportions for these old 1/72's? 

I think these 11B's would look a lot better with some upgraded hands. B))

IMG_6621.JPG

P.S. I've already repaired this ones legs/hips. 

1 hour ago, Thom said:

Yeah, a few too many for me too. Otherwise a cool looking ship.

Speaking of ships, an update on the Yamato-

Redid the entire "wooden" portion of the deck in tape strips to mimic planking on the gun decks:

101_0592.JPG.66d686cbb704dd2e1107cccab5d83d53.JPG   101_0595.JPG.f85b18543a960495a7e384505b22c07f.JPG

Also, some work on the engine nozzle and the keel between the secondary engines (still needs some smoothing, as soon as the tape sets):

101_0596.JPG.4f5b02c558e89f276de49aeea37560fd.JPG101_0597.JPG.40be90155e97bfcac05a2dd290928854.JPG

And a bit of repair work: the plastic around the aerial on the bottom of the hull was getting a bit mushy, so I removed the aerial and then removed the mushy plastic so I could make a "plug" to glue in that would be much more solid. But before I did that, I took the liberty of adding some hot glue to the front of the hull via the hole, so that the ship wasn't so horribly overbalanced towards the aft:

101_0598.JPG.489975dbd5a61488bb67a312de42f2ee.JPG

Stay tuned folks....

101_0593.JPG

@Thom "Then the Amaterasu is your thing!" That's what I'm talkin' 'bout!

@pengbuzz Using the tape to your advantage! Your improvements make that kit look MUCH better!

@electric indigo It looks like Zveda is getting better with their molds. The last kit I built from them (A LONG time ago) was ROUGH. - MT

2 hours ago, MechTech said:

It looks like Zveda is getting better with their molds. The last kit I built from them (A LONG time ago) was ROUGH. - MT

I have only praise for their Su-25, it's miles above the competition. Cockpit interior details are very basic, but with a closed camopy and the awesome pilot in there, it won't be noticed, and the coaming & HUD are excellent. The surface details are great, even if the thumb-sized mushroom rivets of the original are clearly under-represented on the model. Part fit is perfect, and lastly, you can't beat the price, which is about 40 Euros around here.

Next episode will feature the aftermarket quality weapon loadout.

While working on the VF-9 today, I found another issue that I have to deal with.

vf-9_canopy_issue_001.JPG.4d8a1c6257553b8336336492a7a4e439.JPG

vf-9_canopy_issue_002.JPG.4810c7970d6574f3dd5b1a7df83848c3.JPG

That canopy is not rounded at the front, but has edges ...

I am unhappy and need to rework this again, but I don't feel like doing that today.

Hi all.

So my brother in law has this model. Its built from mahogany and steel and brass. The body seems some kind of pvc or fiber glass (I dont really know), with 7 layers of paint to get that shiny finish.

My question is what kind of glue can we use to reattach some of the loose fittings that would be strong and easy to wipe off. Super glue will leak and fog and ruin it.

Thanks in advance!

20220904_170621.jpg

20220904_170356.jpg

20220904_170337.jpg

20220904_170326.jpg

20220904_170319.jpg

20220904_170303.jpg

Edited by arbit

9 hours ago, electric indigo said:

That's one shiny boat!

For wood pieces, PVA glue (white glue or elmer's glue) should do the job. It's solvent free and pretty strong, but the piece needs to be pressed down until the glue bonds. Excess glue can we wiped away with a damp cloth while it's still liquid.

You can also use wood glue, which has a stronger bond.

@arbit That is a SHINY boat! I would NEVER actually put that in the water - to afraid to jack it up on some rocks! I agree with Pengbuzz. In fact, some wood glues are waterproof when set. Nothing likes to stick to that chrome. If you're feeling lucky, you actually can use A LITTLE superglue, but you have to thoroughly clean the area of oils / fingerprints. Also mask the surrounding areas to be careful. At the factory they use something like contact cements, but lots o luck getting that precisely applied.

@HWR MKII You're still alive! Good to see you on the boards.  - MT

48 minutes ago, MechTech said:

@arbit That is a SHINY boat! I would NEVER actually put that in the water - to afraid to jack it up on some rocks! I agree with Pengbuzz. In fact, some wood glues are waterproof when set. Nothing likes to stick to that chrome. If you're feeling lucky, you actually can use A LITTLE superglue, but you have to thoroughly clean the area of oils / fingerprints. Also mask the surrounding areas to be careful. At the factory they use something like contact cements, but lots o luck getting that precisely applied.

@HWR MKII You're still alive! Good to see you on the boards.  - MT

Exactly MT! On that note: where the chrome has to be glued, maybe buff it down with some steel wool or 600-grit sanding film so the glue has purchase, then after gluing, hit it with clearcoat so it won't flake off.

Edited by pengbuzz

UPDATE: DISASTER.

The Yamato is fine (before anyone asks). That said, our upstairs neighbor had a blockage upstairs Friday that was supposedly fixed by the maintenance from our property manager.

Well...they didn't fix it and the neighbors ran water today, flooding their bathroom and sending water through the ceiling in ours and the closet where I store some of my models:

101_0604.JPG.4bdc9f387c258cd88b274317137531d9.JPG

Bathroom ceiling and light:

101_0607.JPG.663c8dc1d124be120331aa27c25fad99.JPG 101_0608.JPG.a86dcf3824dceccaaf41862e3a2cbadc.JPG

Ceiling in closet (closet is in the computer room, which is next to the bathroom):

101_0602.JPG.47c547c576d4a43663ffdaedf83a8e60.JPG  

Bucket catching water from leak:

101_0604.JPG.4bdc9f387c258cd88b274317137531d9.JPG

Maintenance has been forwarded these pics with a severe notice about the danger to the electrical; since it's Labor Day, they cannot get a hold of anyone.

The casualties:

1/700 Scratchbuilt (masking tape) U.S.S. Enterprise Carrier (CVN-65):

101_0606.JPG.3f67392babc66e26b08e4b6bf669885b.JPG                                        XKUZkhv.jpg.1e51923d9a62f75434dfb8baeb7f536b.jpg

The model is soaked and the tape unraveling; no wy to save it.

1/72 Macross Launch Arm Diorama: (Masking tape and plastic, fighter was crushed under boxes that fell due to collapse from water damage):

101_0613.JPG.d0af3d40b3772da81a310e410e3fe9e2.JPG                              YaHSyFb.jpg.0a3392f3319dcc99a272079c59eaa5c3.jpg

The Masonite bord is soaked and shortly after this pic, crumbled to pieces.

12 inch cusom painted world globe (made to look like Earth in space as it actually appears):

101_0605.JPG.87821eeb653a9faeb744bf1f737854eb.JPG                                                            (I lost it at this point)

Also lost (no avalable pics; broke dwn crying just trying to take the previous) due to landslide when several stacked bxes imploded from the deluge, crushng them irreparably:

1/48 F-16 alcon (General Dynamics Test version)

1/48 F-177 nighthawk concept israeli version)

172 starfighter (foiled fiish

Box, decals and instructions for 1/500 U.S.S. Nimitz

currently on life support:

1/350 Refit/ Enterprise A (trying to save her...decls took a walloping fr m lime in water due to dissolved plaster).

with the proprty mangement company, they state that they want renters to carry insurance (w cannot aford it), so talking to them about the loses is goig to go nowhere.  i do not have the mney to replace them, and even if i did, this just tore th hart right o t of my (explitve) ches. i dnt want to evn thin about buldng anything/

not t menton tryng not to hve a seizur.

with that pdate, i am oing to b on an extendd leave from hre

engbuzz out

101_0603.JPG

Edited by pengbuzz

@pengbuzz What a total cluster fk! So sorry to hear about all that. It sounds like a one in a thousand disaster. On the apartment side, I hope they can fix all that quick, and certainly watch out for mold! As to your lost builds, there are hardly any words. I know I've lost a model a time or two, but that's a kit, and not something really fashioned by hand. Closest I can equate it to would be to type out a paragraph or two of a story and end up losing all of it. Sure, you tell yourself you'll rewrite (rebuild) it better than ever before, but you're right, it still takes the heart out.

Taking a step back is a good idea. Take care of yourself first and foremost, and concentrate on the apartment. Thinking of you!

Dude, sorry to hear of your loss. It was always a treat to see you scratch build your projects. Thank you for always sharing their progress.

My limited understanding of apartment insurance is that the insurance of "he who leaks", pays for the damages to the affected properties. Hopefully they have a policy for that. Your scratch builds are the big unknown as the are unique. Extremely difficult to place a value on those. If you have an association they may be able help or give guidance on the repairs. Hopefully they're not the unaccommodating type.

I'm so heartbroken to hear @pengbuzz - I've always admired your tenacity and perseverance when you create your models from literally nothing.  I hope you get a speedy resolution to your satisfaction with your apartment.  As for your models, know that you're not alone in your loss and we will be happy to follow you in your future and better builds!

Even if they say you should have had insurance, that doesn't mean they're not liable.

Insurance in this case would just be paying for the lawyers to extract the money out of them for their liability.

Good luck, hopefully you can get at least something from either the above tenant's insurance or the management company.

It won't repair/replace the work you did, but it would at least let help pay for a new project.

@pengbuzz -Duuuuude...that really sucks man!!! So sorry to hear that. Hopefully all of it works out for you compensation wise.

In other news....got some more PE railings done last week and weekend along with some more parts down on on the top. LOTS of cleanup and puttying to be done yet, and lots more railings and more little parts and ohhh yeh...THE RIGGING...dear Lord help me....but slooooowly getting there me thinks!    

original_a65db69a-857a-45df-b609-973f4ddb5706_20220904_112350.jpg

20220904_084334.jpg

20220904_112413.jpg

20220904_112418.jpg

@pengbuzz I'm SO SORRY to hear that happened! Law is not my specialty, but I believe Sanity is Optional is correct. It's usually your lawyers going after theirs. Another issue may be valuing things. Models are hard to do that with. Other items are easier. I pray this works out for you! - MT

8 hours ago, MechTech said:

@pengbuzz I'm SO SORRY to hear that happened! Law is not my specialty, but I believe Sanity is Optional is correct. It's usually your lawyers going after theirs. Another issue may be valuing things. Models are hard to do that with. Other items are easier. I pray this works out for you! - MT

not doubting that MT... but to be honest: I cannot plce a value on those things. The models are irreplacable on many levels (especially the scratchbuilt ones).

anyways, thanks for your support folks; I appreciate it. Just wanted to check in while i hd a clear moment before I went to lie down fo a while...

Edited by pengbuzz

22 hours ago, Thom said:

@pengbuzz

Sorry about the lack of compensation. They'll value hundreds of dollars worth of electronic equipment over something made by your hand and imagination. I'm assuming you at least don't have to pay for repaints to your apartment?

No, its' covered (we didn't cause it, so we're not being charged for it). And today, my box fan fell over and snapped a blade. So there goes even more money out the blasted window.

Seriously, I may as well just throw away all my worldly possessions and go live in a cave; knowing my luck, the bear that owns it would probably come back and serve me with eviction papers.

Going to go outside and scream my lungs out for a while. Meantime folks, please enjoy this lovely tune courtesy of Napoleon XIV:

4 hours ago, pengbuzz said:

No, its' covered (we didn't cause it, so we're not being charged for it). And today, my box fan fell over and snapped a blade. So there goes even more money out the blasted window.

Seriously, I may as well just throw away all my worldly possessions and go live in a cave; knowing my luck, the bear that owns it would probably come back and serve me with eviction papers.

Going to go outside and scream my lungs out for a while. Meantime folks, please enjoy this lovely tune courtesy of Napoleon XIV:

At least the big stuff is covered. I do feel really bad about the hobby stuff though. At least you have some pictures of most of those items and you still got a bit of a sense of humor. Maybe pick up some lotto tickets. When you’re luck is down, sometimes it picks up in odd ways.