Whats Lying on your Workbench MK IV

Urashiman

6 hours ago, MechTech said:

@Urashiman I hope you you smoothed that over with water before it dried. That will be fun to sand down (in a bad way). It's looking good though!

@electric indigo Nice mod to the windscreen!

@pengbuzz WOW! Talk about whittling down some wood! I look forward to seeing what you do with that!

The hobby stuff has been slow. A lot of my spare time has been going to museum signage for the TACAMO organization guys.

For the Spitfire, this is the second canopy. The first was badly cracked by solvents I didn't know would kill it.

TF-59.jpg.dce94902cbfd26d709f6b93231e21c84.jpg

And the first pilot (for it too) I have done seriously in years! This is the OLD Monogram 1/72 Black plastic F-14 Tomcat snap-kit. Plane sucked, the pilot was cool and was kept over the decades. The visor is only Prismacolor silver pencil. Looks better in person. Also highlighted buckles with it too.

TF-60.jpg.27329bd108888a811a6f9aa213acc5f6.jpgTF-61.jpg.4edc363401016bb4ab01dd5c685c325b.jpg

The Spitfire needs an overcoat, but the humidity is too high right now. So I started a side project. This is for an upcoming light robot build. The model was cool, but as usual, the gun seemed to be an afterthought. So I drilled the holes out and made a steel barrel for it. Then a flash suppressor to make it look a little more cool.

648252932_1-72Rifle(1).jpg.7bbbe1d72d55d7f84feefd3c217d2d7a.jpg1022797956_1-72Rifle1.jpg.605d015176472b9f275a560698df0963.jpg524059996_1-72Rifle(3).jpg.c5f44a0f346252430235e1136e6b137d.jpg

That's it for now. Thanks for checking in guys! - MT

Is that one of the rifles from kyoukai senki?

3 hours ago, wm cheng said:

Cool @derex3592 - I just wished there was a pre-mixed with the grey solution.  If you mist it, would you do it as an overcoat or under coat and mist the grey over top?  Either way its a pretty risky and delicate paint job.  My guess is misting over the top might leave metallic particles/flakes that would be too big / out of scale.  Undercoat might be better but you have to work in both the lighter grey and darker grey without overlap on top.  There are pearlescent pigments that can be added to the base paint/grey (like how they do Star Trek Enterprise aztec paneling).  Maybe I'm just over-thinking it.  The canopy has gold reflective finish too doesn't it?  I'm thinking my F-22 kit might go to the bottom of my pile :(

@wm cheng -Yeh...LOL...I don't have an answer to any of that! Haha! But, I'm not scared to try some experimentation out sometime in the future on the 1/72 kit!  We'll see how things go eventually! Maybe you can learn from the mistakes I'm 10000% sure to make! 

4 hours ago, pengbuzz said:

768334080_101_05231.JPG.9f0b331e2337cfd02724a9480cdc9ba9.JPG

Still a LOT to remove...need to thin the diameter of the hull and correct proportions. Have to print out new blueprints (old ones are MIA).

Stay tuned... hands and wrists are sore...

Oh yeah - you are in sanding hell as well. have fun!

@Urashiman You sir are dedicated!!!

@Big s It is from the MAILeS BYAKUCHI kit(?). Never seen the anime, but Bandai has been pushing these kits like crack on the market. It looked cool at the local comic book store, so I thought I'd help their business out.

@pengbuzz I think you need to start with a chainsaw and work your way down from there!😁 You will be like the cartoons, whittling down a tree to make toothpicks. Don't get carpal tunnel from that beauty! - MT

51 minutes ago, MechTech said:

It is from the MAILeS BYAKUCHI kit(?). Never seen the anime, but Bandai has been pushing these kits like crack on the market. It looked cool at the local comic book store, so I thought I'd help their business out.

I haven’t seen the show either. I bought a bunch of the kits including the truck and everything design wise is great. Unfortunately I haven’t heard anything good about the show 

3 hours ago, MechTech said:

@pengbuzz I think you need to start with a chainsaw and work your way down from there!😁 You will be like the cartoons, whittling down a tree to make toothpicks. Don't get carpal tunnel from that beauty! - MT

If I had one, I would!!! Honestly though, if I had the choice and had the money for one, at this rate, I'd just get a kit!! O.o

Taking a break from this for a week or so... wrists no likey this kind of brutality... :(

Edited by pengbuzz

On 7/19/2022 at 3:43 AM, derex3592 said:

@wm cheng -Yeh...LOL...I don't have an answer to any of that! Haha! But, I'm not scared to try some experimentation out sometime in the future on the 1/72 kit!  We'll see how things go eventually! Maybe you can learn from the mistakes I'm 10000% sure to make! 

There is a "stealth grey" paint that has metallic pigments in it, but it seems to be available in Japan only. My approach would be to polish the flat grey slightly with metalizer or graphite powder.

3 hours ago, electric indigo said:

There is a "stealth grey" paint that has metallic pigments in it, but it seems to be available in Japan only. My approach would be to polish the flat grey slightly with metalizer or graphite powder.

What metalizer or graphite powder would you recommend?  I'm a bit out of the loop with latest and greatest in technique and supplies.

I have a jar of Kosutte (a lifetime supply), but it's not available any more (probably because it's mostly made of toxic lead or something). There seems to be a replacement product:

https://www.hlj.com/c1-metalizer-c1m1001

Oh and graphite powder from the hardware store provides good results if you just want a slight sheen.

Edited by electric indigo

No real world fiddling around today, but some progress on the VF-1P. Slow progress ... super slow, because things don't turn out how I want them and then have to do it again, but I love doing it, else I wouldn't be doing it, eh?vf-1p_20220721_001.jpg.54e1efada25ef844bdf9b45ed5b46b5c.jpg

vf-1p_20220721_002.jpg.0c9de1b928a8392745bae076f05ca086.jpg

UPDATE: sadly, I must abandon the Yamato project.

I ended up injuring my hands and wrists more seriously than I first suspected. The sheer force of trying to carve the wood ended up causing damage to the tendons in my arms; I'm under medical orders to rest and not continue the project.

Anyways, sorry folks (especially Thom!). I tried, but this one beat the peng. :( My wife was kind enough to dispose of it for me, and it's long gone now.

I'll be around.

5 hours ago, pengbuzz said:

I ended up injuring my hands and wrists more seriously than I first suspected. The sheer force of trying to carve the wood ended up causing damage to the tendons in my arms; I'm under medical orders to rest and not continue the project.

Anyways, sorry folks (especially Thom!). I tried, but this one beat the peng. :( My wife was kind enough to dispose of it for me, and it's long gone now.

I'll be around.

Ack! Sorry to hear that, but you have to take care of yourself first. 

Standing with you in memorium...

419a03.JPG

17 hours ago, pengbuzz said:

I'll be around.

Really super sorry to hear that. Your health and ability to wipe your backside are definitely more important. Take care of yourself and maybe do a Viking funeral for the project. Hope to see you back in action soon

@pengbuzz That totally SUCKS about your injuries! I empathise with you after having BOTH carpal tunnels worked on. I pray you feel better soon!

@derex3592 Nice chain work! Getting into the stretch now...

@electric indigo Great looking paint as always! - MT

On 7/24/2022 at 11:43 AM, pengbuzz said:

I'll be around.

aww man, get well soon!

@electric indigo Great looking paint and colors! Nice color panel variation too!

@derex3592 Those details are REALLY making it pop!

By the grace of God, I somehow got the strength to re-shingle a 24 foot length of strip on our roof. It was done wrong by the original contractor. It was made with a "valley" that was collecting water which made its way through the roof. I was exhausted and almost heat stroked afterward! After chilling, I went outside and noticed the humidity was low. My glasses didn't fog up. Thank God the humidity was low in the afternoon. I've been waiting weeks to put a clear coat on my Turbo-spitfire with humidity like this on our windows:

Humidity.jpg.2f1e0377ceb52998346eb052abeaaf59.jpg

This was my chance! So I mustered up the strength and put a clear coat of Mr. Super Clear Matt on it. I think it is the best clear coat I have EVER used!

TF-62.jpg.e124416d89104d42d8bd12e6a0d8e4ad.jpg

Now on to the canopy and paint details. Thanks for checking in guys! - MT

Hey Derex, rattle can. It comes out perfect every time! It's never gotten a rough finish and always lays down smooth. I also shake it for THREE minutes to ensure a good mix. - MT

15 hours ago, MechTech said:

Hey Derex, rattle can. It comes out perfect every time! It's never gotten a rough finish and always lays down smooth. I also shake it for THREE minutes to ensure a good mix. - MT

Speaking of which: the other day I needed to touch up a counter top and my can of Rustoleum wouldn't spray. Can's still hard (when no pressure, I can dimple the can with my hand), but nothing comes out of the spray stem. Spray nozzles are all clean and work on other cans, but nothing will come out of this one. I would try compressed air in the stem, but I don't have a compressor.

Really starting to dislike this hobby right about now...

@pengbuzz That stinks; I hate it when that happens.  You can try soaking the nozzle and the can opening with thinner /lacquer thinner. Maybe another can's nozzle? If that doesn't work, then definitely try soaking the can opening in thinner or solvent of some kind. I hope that helps. - MT

On 8/3/2022 at 4:12 PM, MechTech said:

@pengbuzz That stinks; I hate it when that happens.  You can try soaking the nozzle and the can opening with thinner /lacquer thinner. Maybe another can's nozzle? If that doesn't work, then definitely try soaking the can opening in thinner or solvent of some kind. I hope that helps. - MT

It's definitely the stem (can opening); it has a white plastic stem that comes up from it. Nothing has worked on it (even tried brake cleaner!)... probably going to have to declare it DOA.

At least I don't have any active projects right now, and I won't for the foreseeable future. Hands are still largely out of commission (takes time just to type), and broke as all get out.

Going to go hide under a rock for a bit.