Whats Lying on your Workbench MK IV

Urashiman

Update on the F-5B (CF-116).

I removed all raised panel lines and all incorrect engraved panel lines. Time to make new ones. Step number one: painting the new ones on the plane. I think I got the wrong F-5B panel line chart, though and have to remove most of them again. Yay... fun!

This 2.99€ kit is more work than it is worth, but I like the challenge :)photo1652903520.jpeg.d8813dc9a1c1d8f1ab279b2695597f94.jpeg

43 minutes ago, arbit said:

Looks like your designing details for your big SDF-1?

Yes it is 😊

I'm finally starting it up again, gonna go crazy with the city in the other leg, and details!

22 hours ago, Nyankodevice said:

Yes it is 😊

I'm finally starting it up again, gonna go crazy with the city in the other leg, and details!

Welcome back to Macross City.

I know I've been quiet here since I finished my last couple of projects; let me show you what's currently going on...

I've been working on the 1/72 Hasegawa Armored Valkyrie kit, and while working, got an idea for a concept I'm not sure anyone has done before.

Introducing the GBP-1LDU (Lunar Defense Unit); code name: Major Tom-

101_0416.JPG.b767c800034ebd401568c94f336969fc.JPG  101_0417.JPG.e8bc25d77699746fbe88dc481c2e54fb.JPG

101_0419.JPG.df5e27dc5e1ae4996bfcf043b3f51f25.JPG

This unit is intended to operate from the lunar surface/ medium lunar orbit. In addition to the standard loadout, it also comes equipped with dual-phase flat plane vernier thrusters (for added maneuverability), thermal coating and heat ablative blanketing in sensitive areas (operating in direct sun for extended periods), UV/ solar glare reflective gold tint coating on optics and canopy (to prevent burnout of targeting optics/ scanners and blinding of operator), two "Artemis' Hammer" reaction-warhead missiles and two RMS-1 Heavy Reaction Missiles (both rail- mounted to propulsion units on back).

Note: this is a work in progress (WIP), and as such, is still somewhat rough and missing some details. More to be added as I go.

Stay tuned...

Edited by pengbuzz

1 hour ago, pengbuzz said:

I know I've been quiet here since I finished my last couple of projects; let me show you what's currently going on...

I've been working on the 1/72 Hasegawa Armored Valkyrie kit, and while working, got an idea for a concept I'm not sure anyone has done before.

Introducing the GBP-1LDU (Lunar Defense Unit); code name: Major Tom-

This unit is intended to operate from the lunar surface/ medium lunar orbit. In addition to the standard loadout, it also comes equipped with dual-phase flat plare vernier thrusters (for added maneuverability), thermal coating and heat ablative blanketing in sensitive areas (operating in direct sun for extended periods), UV/ solar glare reflective gold tint coating on optics and canopy (to prevent burnout of targeting optics/ scanners and blinding of operator), two "Artemis' Hammer" reaction-warhead missiles and two RMS-1 Heavy Reaction Missiles (both rail- mounted to propulsion units on back).

Note: this is a work in progress (WIP), and as such, is still somewhat rough and missing some details. More to be added as I go.

Stay tuned...

NICE!

great idea, cant wait to se it finished!

Onward. Gave in on the cockpit. Academy didn't even bother including the correct console. Nabbed some 1/48 details made for the Revell kit I'll try to splice in. Wanted to glue the nose to the body and get that last gap finished so together she went.

20220522_183248.jpg

Edited by Rock

UPDATE: more progress on Major Tom, as well as scratching together a diorama for him as a side-project:

101_0420.JPG.3a8cc01c9e4ebb87460376268619f8c8.JPG 101_0421.JPG.b00e71c1b80526956ac87a429c3ca68c.JPG

101_0422.JPG.f5909a26c3315c50ca86479f359976f6.JPG

Still need to straighten out a lot of lines, paint more details and stuff, and decal this one. Since the panel lines are pretty shallow, I'm probably just going to draw those in.

A closer look at base (styrofoam sprayed with clearcoat and acetone, then primed and painted with acrylic colors):

101_0423.JPG.14cf84ce10c62a45d7db0b43bff71d89.JPG 101_0424.JPG.b8164cdaaae393376d11162aaa27d4f0.JPG

I know the Moon's usually a bit darker IRL, but I wanted the look most folks think it should have. Also, did my best with the surface detailing, but I have limits to being able to reproduce a lunar surface. :( We'll see how this goes.

Stay tuned...

Okay ... aside from the crazy things I do and have on my workbench, I am always on the hunt for "the perfect F-14 Tomcat". I know there are some F-14 purists on the board as well, and getting a proper F-14 is just crazy.

One could get an original 1970s Hasegawa F-14, remove the rised panel lines and engrave new panel lines, or look around what else we got in our hobby stores. We got the new tool F-14 from hasegawa. Give or take, this might be a valid option, but needs much work as well. There are a lot of resin kit add ons ... you get the idea. Getting a new mold Revell F-14, it looks okay, is cheap but the panel lines are super wrong and look like someone encarved them with a chainsaw. So now let's look at the two best kits out there (from my perspective). The Fine Molds F-14, and the GWH F-14. I know, there is a Hobby Boss F-14 out in the wild, but I am unable to get a hold of one.

Boxart:

msg772080877-21895.jpg.6688b5bdb9092741fc8fde6967d3c714.jpg

contents

msg772080877-21896.jpg.82ca638e2adb75945e4ea15b1416d2fd.jpgas you

As you can see, the GWH F-14 has a bunch more runners. But this won't say much about the quality.

Have a look at the fine molds nose:

msg772080877-21898.jpg.f770f1da576252d4c1ef9a16fe754278.jpg

Versus GWH:

msg772080877-21897.jpg.5bd5cbba0c2089e86c555e3cad169155.jpg

On both kits the panel lines are super fine and detailed, but the interior of the Fine Molds F-14 is giving away way more features. The GWH has a lot more wing configurations. The panel lines on the GWH F-14 are detailed, but there are annoying inaccuracies. The panel lines on the Fine Molds F-14 are almost perfect.

I want to use one of these for my new Macross Zero F-14, and I think I will go with the GWH one, as the F-14D version is fitting more the visuals of what we see in Macross Zero. On the down side, I have to use a limited Edition F-14D for that, because I wasn't able to get a normal F-14D from GHW here. I wish there was a Fine Molds F-14D available (apart from the limited and super rare Model Graphix Magazine edition). So far the Fine Molds kit has really impressed me. But, even though there are mine inaccuracies in the GWH kit, it is looks super fun to build. It will be on my workbench now. Updates to follow tomorrow :)

0D9D627D-35BA-4C8B-86DD-A1F1F328BD96.jpeg.3c6c98eddb9a7281198cfaa3b4b8afc0.jpeg

Edited by Urashiman

1 hour ago, Urashiman said:

Okay ... aside from the crazy things I do and have on my workbench, I am always on the hunt for "the perfect F-14 Tomcat". I know there are some F-14 purists on the board as well, and getting a proper F-14 is just crazy.

One could get an original 1970s Hasegawa F-14, remove the rised panel lines and engrave new panel lines, or look around what else we got in our hobby stores. We got the new tool F-14 from hasegawa. Give or take, this might be a valid option, but needs much work as well. There are a lot of resin kit add ons ... you get the idea. Getting a new mold Revell F-14, it looks okay, is cheap but the panel lines are super wrong and look like someone encarved them with a chainsaw. So now let's look at the two best kits out there (from my perspective). The Fine Molds F-14, and the GWH F-14. I know, there is a Hobby Boss F-14 out in the wild, but I am unable to get a hold of one.

Boxart:

msg772080877-21895.jpg.6688b5bdb9092741fc8fde6967d3c714.jpg

contents

msg772080877-21896.jpg.82ca638e2adb75945e4ea15b1416d2fd.jpgas you

As you can see, the GWH F-14 has a bunch more runners. But this won't say much about the quality.

Have a look at the fine molds nose:

msg772080877-21898.jpg.f770f1da576252d4c1ef9a16fe754278.jpg

Versus GWH:

msg772080877-21897.jpg.5bd5cbba0c2089e86c555e3cad169155.jpg

On both kits the panel lines are super fine and detailed, but the interior of the Fine Molds F-14 is giving away way more features. The GWH has a lot more wing configurations. The panel lines on the GWH F-14 are detailed, but there are annoying inaccuracies. The panel lines on the Fine Molds F-14 are almost perfect.

I want to use one of these for my new Macross Zero F-14, and I think I will go with the GWH one, as the F-14D version is fitting more the visuals of what we see in Macross Zero. On the down side, I have to use a limited Edition F-14D for that, because I wasn't able to get a normal F-14D from GHW here. I wish there was a Fine Molds F-14D available (apart from the limited and super rare Model Graphix Magazine edition). So far the Fine Molds kit has really impressed me. But, even though there are mine inaccuracies in the GWH kit, it is looks super fun to build. It will be on my workbench now. Updates to follow tomorrow :)

0D9D627D-35BA-4C8B-86DD-A1F1F328BD96.jpeg.3c6c98eddb9a7281198cfaa3b4b8afc0.jpeg

I have the 1/72 Academy kit in the 'continuous build process.' So far, it is a nice looking kit, and except for some updated seats, you can build almost any variant out of the box.

joctHgU.jpg

Build log.

https://imgur.com/a/EPA6tVh

3 hours ago, Urashiman said:

And then there is the F-14 shaming to worry about from all the perfectionists out there 😄

Hi @Urashiman - I have both the FineMolds and GWH and the Hasegawas.  I don't know if I'll build the older Hasegawas, maybe as in flight someday (they just don't hold up to the current kits I even have all the resin Verlinden aftermarket stuff and even those don't hold up to the current stuff).  The GWH is amazing except for the RIO console housing, its just way too narrow to display it with the canopy open - its just fine if you close the canopy.  If you want canopy open, there are amazing 3D printed cockpit instrumentation that are leaps above and beyond Photoetched stuff from a Russian company called Quinta.  They have North American hobby companies that carry their stuff as well.  The wings are great as it has great flaps, slats and even spoilers which is rare.  Just don't use the GWH decals or the instructions, its placement is suspect of some of the data stenciling and the graphics are way too large on a few items and wrong placement on the sparrow missile stripes.  The FineMolds seems to be begging to be built with everything opened to see all the access panels.  Can't wait to see your build, most importantly, have fun!  Don't worry, we're not ARC around here 😛

Edited by wm cheng

12 hours ago, Thom said:

I have the 1/72 Academy kit in the 'continuous build process.' So far, it is a nice looking kit, and except for some updated seats, you can build almost any variant out of the box.

joctHgU.jpg

Build log.

https://imgur.com/a/EPA6tVh

Oh yes, the new Academy one. I wasn't able to find one for a decent price in Germany. I remember the old Academy F-14 to look super bulky with huge panel line, but the new one looks really good.

11 hours ago, arbit said:

And then there is the F-14 shaming to worry about from all the perfectionists out there 😄

Oh yeah. I went on an F-14 forum once and all they did was complaining "Nah, what the #?@! is that? Is that supposed to be an F-14? Blargh Blargh Blargh". It is fun hahaha

8 hours ago, wm cheng said:

Hi @Urashiman - I have both the FineMolds and GWH and the Hasegawas.  I don't know if I'll build the older Hasegawas, maybe as in flight someday (they just don't hold up to the current kits I even have all the resin Verlinden aftermarket stuff and even those don't hold up to the current stuff).  The GWH is amazing except for the RIO console housing, its just way too narrow to display it with the canopy open - its just fine if you close the canopy.  If you want canopy open, there are amazing 3D printed cockpit instrumentation that are leaps above and beyond Photoetched stuff from a Russian company called Quinta.  They have North American hobby companies that carry their stuff as well.  The wings are great as it has great flaps, slats and even spoilers which is rare.  Just don't use the GWH decals or the instructions, its placement is suspect of some of the data stenciling and the graphics are way too large on a few items and wrong placement on the sparrow missile stripes.  The FineMolds seems to be begging to be built with everything opened to see all the access panels.  Can't wait to see your build, most importantly, have fun!  Don't worry, we're not ARC around here 😛

Oh - advise from the master himself. The original F-14 from Hasewaga (the 1970s mold with the rised panel lines) is from a dimensions point of view really good. It just needs a lot of love and work to make it look awesome. And yeah ... saw a ton of extra pieces for the GWH one, but I think it'll do like this at the moment. So many little pieces on this I tell you. Panels as big as 2x2mm that need to be glued to the nose somewhere. The GWH will be closed panels with gears out and missiles added.

7 hours ago, Bolt said:

@Urashiman I'm looking forward to seeing what you come up with !

I am not coming up with much. The creative work has been done by the Macross Zero team XD

But yeah, can't wait to see how it comes out myself.

Here is what I got together yesterday evening while watching Another Life on netflix. I didn't glue the nose yet, just sticket together so I can paint the cockpit and so on. Was easier to take care of those tiny panels with my saussage fingers.

photo1653477309.jpeg.f887a42f3861057d6edbde8fa88a8042.jpeg

I don't have the really old Hasegawa F-14s with the raised paneling - I haven't seen those.  I have the 80s version with very finely recessed panel lines - I'm afraid they'd disappear with a coat or two of paint, shape seems really good and all the panels are there, just no riveting.  I've heard that they are a bitch to align and get the gaps out - a bit over engineered from what I've been told.  I do love the GWH, just wished the RIO coaming was correct.  I have the original F-14D that were in the magazines from FineMolds - I didn't know they were rare - I was hoping to turn one of those to a F-14B.

Update on today's progress.

Tinted the canopies of the VF-19A and the VF-22. Light smoke for the VF-19A and yellow for the VF-22.

msg772080877-21923.jpg.71fac3589aae32b7cf0790567671d2f9.jpg

And some progress on the F-14D. Airbrushed the cockpit and the panels, as well as the engine exhausts.

msg772080877-21924.jpg.be3e8a1accf8ce5fced336f77f0856da.jpgmsg772080877-21925.jpg.5af09fa6fe856c32e276c89502fccb88.jpg

Been some time since I really commented on other folks' stuff here (my apologies everyone!), so time for Da Pengbuzz to answer some mail:

10 hours ago, Thom said:

Great work, @pengbuzz! Really like that you have it in-flight, and that shadow box just clinches it!

Thanks Thom! Admittedly, I'm still not done with this one, as I need to do some more things. But with this shadowbox, the diorama simply sits inside of it, and the box is removable (I learned that lesson a while back!) . I have 1 1/72 scale figure that I'm 'bashing into a spacesuited one, to add scale to the scene. I also wanted to print up a placard for the display, and I'm thinking about thrust effects for the armored valk as well.

While my painting skills aren't exactly "crystal clean" like other folks', I'd like to try to knock this project out of the ball park and see if I can finish it off well enough to go viral online! I really think this concept is unique as far as the armored valk goes, so suggestions are welcome folks!

On 5/25/2022 at 2:15 PM, wm cheng said:

I don't have the really old Hasegawa F-14s with the raised paneling - I haven't seen those.  I have the 80s version with very finely recessed panel lines - I'm afraid they'd disappear with a coat or two of paint, shape seems really good and all the panels are there, just no riveting.  I've heard that they are a bitch to align and get the gaps out - a bit over engineered from what I've been told.  I do love the GWH, just wished the RIO coaming was correct.  I have the original F-14D that were in the magazines from FineMolds - I didn't know they were rare - I was hoping to turn one of those to a F-14B.

I have actually taken in the past and rescribed panel lines into models (the 1/48 monogram F-14 was a royal pain!); I don't know if you would consider that. Also; considering how panel lines would be fairly faint anyways at that scale, would drawing them in with a mechanical pencil be a viable option for you?

On 5/25/2022 at 7:28 PM, Urashiman said:

Update on today's progress.

Tinted the canopies of the VF-19A and the VF-22. Light smoke for the VF-19A and yellow for the VF-22.

msg772080877-21923.jpg.71fac3589aae32b7cf0790567671d2f9.jpg

Really like the tint job on the canopies there, Urashiman! the 19 and the 21 are really starting to come together here!

On 5/25/2022 at 7:28 PM, Urashiman said:

And some progress on the F-14D. Airbrushed the cockpit and the panels, as well as the engine exhausts.

msg772080877-21924.jpg.be3e8a1accf8ce5fced336f77f0856da.jpg msg772080877-21925.jpg.5af09fa6fe856c32e276c89502fccb88.jpg

VERY nice work with the engine nozzles! And I'm looking forward to seeing what you do with the control panels as well; I recall on my 1/48 "TOP GUN" F-14, I struggled with those AND the paint job overall, only to find someone did the correct references AFTER I just said "the heck with it" and declared it done! Going to be watching your project closely! :)

On 5/18/2022 at 3:56 PM, Urashiman said:

Update on the F-5B (CF-116).

I removed all raised panel lines and all incorrect engraved panel lines. Time to make new ones. Step number one: painting the new ones on the plane. I think I got the wrong F-5B panel line chart, though and have to remove most of them again. Yay... fun!

photo1652903520.jpeg.d8813dc9a1c1d8f1ab279b2695597f94.jpeg

This 2.99€ kit is more work than it is worth, but I like the challenge :)

Like I told wm cheng: you could always just pencil them in with a mechanical pencil at that scale. That said: I think the final result you'll get with this model once you're done will be far more valuable than that 2.99€ you spent on it! The nose work you did on it alone is outstanding, and I would swear up and down that it was how the model came originally!

On 5/24/2022 at 10:56 PM, wm cheng said:

Don't worry, we're not ARC around here 😛

Yeah; there are reasons I don't post there anymore! I figure that while accuracy and fine detail are goals to strive for, if folks get so wrapped up in that to the point where the fun is gone, then it's just being a slave to unappreciative critics. I also nuked my account with HobbyTalk, as they changed owners and the new tone of the board is just plain awful!

On 5/18/2022 at 10:30 PM, Nyankodevice said:

image.png.5c54f4bbb74315e28e4148226d61d922.png image.png.c79ef1e71e143d5d3850e95fa0b8f8b0.png

image.png.7fb2240573c4a828639c589fd67ef7ee.png

Y'know Nyankodevice...I'm gonna have to go back to my big SDF-1 and detail out all my turrets now!!! lol

Seriously, those look absolutely incredible!!!

Stay tuned folks; need to answer more mail after checking my other mail...

@Urashiman Your F-5 is looking great! I think its worth it. I love that airframe anyhow. I always thought it was elegant and sleek. T-38s fly over my house all the time and I love the sound of those "tiny" turbines. Your Tomcat and Valks are looking good too! You're gonna have an unusual Air Force from this year's builds.

@arbit Your Alto figure looks great! Can we have the VF-4 without Alto?😅 Just kidding!

@pengbuzz Those are some VERY original mods to the GBP! I love your paint scheme and additional load-out too. Your base is VERY realistic and looks like you sliced a chunk of moon rock for the base. Congrats on another cool and accomplished build! - MT

2 minutes ago, MechTech said:

@pengbuzz Those are some VERY original mods to the GBP! I love your paint scheme and additional load-out too. Your base is VERY realistic and looks like you sliced a chunk of moon rock for the base. Congrats on another cool and accomplished build! - MT

Thanks!! For the moonscape, I went back over it by adding a think layer of glue and then sprinkling actual sand I got from a trip to a local inland beach recently! After that, it was just a dusting of primer and a few washes of orange, brown and blue; the moon's actual colors aren't simply grey!

https://www.skyatnightmagazine.com/space-science/what-colour-is-the-moon/

https://airandspace.si.edu/multimedia-gallery/11807hjpg

The last thing I did after that was to: 1) seal the surface with Rustoleum matte clear, and 2) drybrush the surface lightly with FolkArt White Pearlescent paint. This added a sparkle to the grains and made the texture really pop!

Things have been busy here lately! Here are some project updates. We had a Sci-Fi theme this past club meeting, so it was time to complete EVERYTHING with little bits waiting in the wings.

The oldest project was the AV-98 (2), I believe. Finally completed that! I LOVE this kit! Model accuracy with near "action figure" pose-ability.

A couple of building tips to help you with this one. Parts are Styrene and ABS. Superglue works, but could tough to get in small spots. I used Acetone which fused both together great. You might need a little more than standard thin cements. Acetone dries QUICK!

981292026_1-35AV-98(4).jpg.335cd856da790a91afd3e03e7211d095.jpg977944_1-35AV-98(5).jpg.79a9159b4907b1009ef7c2b31f3fce44.jpg

1576830353_1-35AV-98(8).jpg.2e9914cd47a5b2fea941e84d7a9d96ea.jpg2109211381_1-35AV-98(6).jpg.05a51fe5e13caa0393c1b7ccf3845993.jpg

This kit has dry transfers and stickers. When you're careful, the transfers are awesome and look clean - no clear "halo" around decals and no clear coat needed (unless you want to seal it). I left off the clear coat since it could get scratched and look funny over time. You can see the micro power switch and push-button for switching light modes.

The "Remington 870" looking shotgun "chambered for 90mm rounds!" It actually has a pump-action movement!

1167790801_1-35AV-98(7).jpg.863da9e7d857a4acd6b409a750496c7c.jpg

I SUCK at painting figures! The PVC material didn't glue well either with super glue. The bad glue job didn't show up until paint was applied. I found out later that Acetone works on gluing this material too! Isao Ota's eyes came out looking like he was high. So what do you do when you look high (not that'd I know), you wear sunglasses! So I took sprue, shaped it and cut thin slivers to make him sunglasses. Now its harder to tell when he's angry all the time under there.😁

262257162_1-35AV-98(9).jpg.cc0e08cd3f8421bcf43aafdfba93eba7.jpg1490555609_AV-98(10).jpg.988e944502b3570028390d6431bdfef2.jpg

The 1/35th ARMOR Diorama was basically done, but needed a creative label for it. There were pictures posted before of the shell being soldered and lacquered. It took three tries to get this right. Here's the completed label now. "Assault Reconnaissance Mechanized Operations Robot."

35-150.jpg.3ade4ec365239badb820ea6674c0c86f.jpg35-149.jpg.b4ca2be09656ae34cdf1764354fdd1c7.jpg

The Turbo Spitfire is coming along slowly. LOTS of repainting parts to get a good finish on the name plate (to be shown later). A Zinc Chromate looking undercoating was applied. This will show up with chips and rub marks under the main color later on.

TF-47.jpg.97e7a5061d229933377e721814428733.jpgTF-48.jpg.9f1a7ac073f3854e704c35ba33fd2203.jpg

While waiting for paint to dry, I started work on the next base for an upcoming project. It is a sliver of oak cut from a fallen tree. It looked so cool and organic, I knew it would get used one day. Pegs were added to level-out the top of it.

LAP-1.jpg.d550d6b208f6da64fff39f837c51d2a9.jpgLAP-2.jpg.7f71d8e774f8c90aa2ceffa5faa2035e.jpg

That's it for now. Back to the Spitfire (hopefully this weekend). Thanks for checking in! - MT

14 minutes ago, MechTech said:

The 1/35th ARMOR Diorama was basically done, but needed a creative label for it. There were pictures posted before of the shell being soldered and lacquered. It took three tries to get this right. Here's the completed label now. "Assault Reconnaissance Mechanized Operations Robot."

You worked long and hard on this. Lets give it some glamour pics with a full black background.  It deserves the effort for some clean photos.

@pengbuzz@Thom & @MechTech Thanks for the nice words. I hope everything will come out nice in the end.

Some more work on the F-14 today. Water slide decals are for babies and communists. Look at this cockpit. Went on the darker grey here, because in Macross Zero the cockpit is dark grey as well, compared to the light grey F-14s usually have.

msg772080877-21934.jpg.f6f9c17a45ad2dd2a15f24eca284b460.jpg

msg772080877-21933.jpg.d853da27e479397db0f65d8d30a9574b.jpg

msg772080877-21932.jpg.79f2cbb128893009f0d1123539df1be6.jpg