Whats Lying on your Workbench MK IV

Urashiman

5 hours ago, MechTech said:

@Bolt The Spider bug is looking ready for service soon! I look forward to your pod build too!

@arbit I was thinking "Laputa", but that's 80's. "Future Boy"? I never saw it, just the models. Cool sculpt though!

The Ingram is getting there! I tried to post a GIF of the lights chasing on the shoulders. It looks like the lights aren't even on in the GIF creator software! So scrub showing you that.

Here's the head and cockpit lit up. The cockpit LED is one of those annoying multi-color changing LEDs like in toys. It looks like a CRT flashing images though in the cockpit. It happened to be purple when I took the shot. Still more work to do! Thanks for checking in! - MT

1354762428_1-35AV-98Decals(3).jpg.34082c7c4de5bcba93ac9cf283602938.jpg1270984147_1-35AV-98Decals(4).jpg.ef52cb373aae1d6a5adcaa98af648d5c.jpg1959105618_1-35AV-98Decals(1).jpg.808767b6ee4e4ea654fbb74f71d36a59.jpg176301116_1-35AV-98Decals(2).jpg.efc01e758db792e48c70dca1b716f2de.jpg

Really nice work there MT! BTW: I never knew the pilot sat just under the head; good thing robots don't sneeze! lol

5 hours ago, ahiachris said:

instructions1.JPG

instructions2.JPG

instructions3.JPG

instructions4.JPG

instructions5.JPG

Regult.jpg

One thing I like about Macross World Forums: if you need references (or just about anything else!), someone's bound to have them!

@MechTech On the money as usual! 

This was a fun project with my 6-year old daughter, who is a huge Future Boy Conan fan, and a good little artist herself. Since Figma has not made a Lana figure, I took the plunge and made one for her to play with.

All my kids are brought up on World Masterpiece Theater at this age, with shows like Conan, Heidi, Little Women, Anne, and Rascal locked and loaded on their TV.

There are few things in life as precious as lounging on the couch with my daughter, watching Conan try to rescue Lana😍🥰

With this larger scale figure, it was easier to practice some airbrush shading techniques I learned from those amazing Spanish miniature painters on Youtube.  For the dress, I picked four shades of red, from dark Hull Red to light Ferrari Red, and followed the zenithal highlighting as a guide, airbrushing darker shades first like a pre-shade, then building up towards the lighter shades for edge highlights.

Hope you like it!

936376769_2022-02-2200_15_45.jpg.9fcf865c84b3b001eb6fa113de6f73e4.jpg1071704821_2022-02-2200_15_23.jpg.ec87ed5d9c808c911260a9cc416b52bd.jpg1548843985_2022-02-2200_14_57.jpg.05b87e90671816937d927edacb647e56.jpg

Edited by arbit

On 2/20/2022 at 6:59 PM, MechTech said:

Here's the head and cockpit lit up. The cockpit LED is one of those annoying multi-color changing LEDs like in toys. It looks like a CRT flashing images though in the cockpit. It happened to be purple when I took the shot. Still more work to do! Thanks for checking in! - MT

Purple lighting is good. Reminds me of Patlabor 2. Nice work!

Which reminds me I do have a Bandai Ingram of my own for a future lighting project, plus a Pit Road police vehicle. 

@arbit Ha! I almost totally guessed that one! Regarding the Ingram model, save yourself the headache and use the legs to hold the batteries or circuit boards in. They have plenty of space and you can remove the leg sides to access batteries or the circuit board.

The cockpit just happened to be purple when I took the photo. The LED changes colors randomly and at different speeds. So it looks like a CRT running video or something.

Your figure looks great! I would have thought you bought it from a store if I didn't know better.

Regarding World Masterpiece Theater, when are you watching it from? That sounds cool. My wife keeps buying anime at the store that is boring. I also have to watch "Future Boy Conan". - MT

1 hour ago, MechTech said:

Regarding World Masterpiece Theater, when are you watching it from? That sounds cool. My wife keeps buying anime at the store that is boring. I also have to watch "Future Boy Conan". - MT

To be honest, we are overseas and we watch WMT in a foreign language, partly as a language building exercise.

Conan is highly recommended, it foreshadows all later Miyazaki films in one way or another.  I am sure you can download it with subs somewhere. 

Thank you @arbit I was afraid you would say that. I did find a similar named channel on You Tube, but its mostly music videos from the series. I'll have to hunt for it some more.

Its great to teach your children other languages and cultures. It will help them a lot when they're out on their own. - MT

9 hours ago, MechTech said:

Thank you @arbit I was afraid you would say that. I did find a similar named channel on You Tube, but its mostly music videos from the series. I'll have to hunt for it some more.

Its great to teach your children other languages and cultures. It will help them a lot when they're out on their own. - MT

Try these (may need ad blocker):

https://animebee.to/watch/future-boy-conan-ra6j/episode-1.html

https://www.wcoanimesub.tv/anime/mirai-shounen-conan-english-subbed

Edited by pengbuzz

28 minutes ago, Thom said:

Not so much on the bench, per se...

XbXY7On.jpg

Still working on it, but this is the continent of Aelos, upon the world of Aranathea.

Wow! That's  really nice Thom! What medium is that, digital or traditional? If it's  traditional What size?

Really nice work on those mountains! I really like the treatment you chose.

25 minutes ago, Chas said:

Wow! That's  really nice Thom! What medium is that, digital or traditional? If it's  traditional What size?

Really nice work on those mountains! I really like the treatment you chose.

Thanks!

I can only take partial credit. I did a lot of it in Wonderdraft, which does mountains and rivers, forests and such. The basic shape I drew out by hand years ago and traced it into Wonderdraft just recently when I decided to redo it. So, digital and traditional..? Then I exported it to Gimp where it was grayscaled and I am currently shading in forests. Wonderdraft can do full color, but I'm not that good yet, and I kind of like the more traditional look for a fantasy map.

15 hours ago, Rock said:

Right shoulder out of focus. 2/5 😛

Is that a gloss finish? I don't think I remember you doing anything but matte in a long while. Looking good!

You must have missed this shiny blue boy then

51643906632_96a95ff876_c.jpg

Since the Tekkaman Blade design is already pretty flamboyant, I figured I might as well go full candy coat on it.

The Wave kit's quality is great, but some parts need a lot of pressure to go into the final position, so watch out for your paint.

8 hours ago, electric indigo said:

You must have missed this shiny blue boy then

51643906632_96a95ff876_c.jpg

Since the Tekkaman Blade design is already pretty flamboyant, I figured I might as well go full candy coat on it.

The Wave kit's quality is great, but some parts need a lot of pressure to go into the final position, so watch out for your paint.

R, Your going to have to resend me your imgur/flickr acct. I cannot seem to find it in my bookmarks anymore.
V Siren looks great! Straight gloss or any polishing on her? Come to think of it, is than an older resin kit? I can't think of any recent (fss "recent"=10 years) Neptune's with the mermaid on the shield like in the original art instead of the Fillmore Empire cross.

Tekkaman Blade and all the other tekkamen always appeared glossy to me. They weren’t worn down real robots as much as techno magical armor. There were some situations where they would get battle damage or in Daggers case, refused to heal. The soldier types may look cool in a dull color, but the animation made them look shiny as well.

i know orange cat industry has plans for a Tekkaman Evil and I hope there more down the line. The Orange Cat Blade definitely looks great and hopefully I’ll get the time to build it.

@Big s The kit is well engineered, but comes with it's own challenges: The way the joints are designed, you're better off if you paint all parts separately (you'll also profit from the color separation that way), but then you'll have to be extra careful not to mix left and right parts (and the differences are very subtle sometimes) when putting things together. I also recommend not to deviate from the sequence of assembly given by the instructions. Due to the tight tolerances, it's very difficult to pry the parts apart once you made a mistake. Widening the joints with a file also helpt to improve mobility and ease the assembly.

@Rock If you click on any of my embedded pics, it will take you to my flickr. I also got around to set up a Twitter account for my modeling activities.

The V-Siren was painted with Tamiya acrylics as usual. I used gloss paint without additional clear coats; some of the larger areas, especially on the shoulders, were polished with Tamiya compound.

The kit dates back to 1995, it has a slightly complicated history with a struggle between sculptor, producer, and distributor, and as a result, as I understand, was never properly licensed, so it's not visible in the MH publications. Volks released a somewhat lumpy 1/144 version.

21 hours ago, electric indigo said:

The V-Siren was painted with Tamiya acrylics as usual. I used gloss paint without additional clear coats; some of the larger areas, especially on the shoulders, were polished with Tamiya compound.

The kit dates back to 1995, it has a slightly complicated history with a struggle between sculptor, producer, and distributor, and as a result, as I understand, was never properly licensed, so it's not visible in the MH publications. Volks released a somewhat lumpy 1/144 version.

Great work on this old resin kit.  They are a challenge to build.  I've been focusing on the IMS kits lately, but got sucked into Yahoo auctions and got a few rare resin kits.  I'll post them in the FFS thread when I receive them.

UPDATE: while waiting on parts from a friend, I just wanted to see what I could do with some wood and a bit of boredom:

The base hubs for the booms shattered just as finished the upper booms, so I got to work:

101_0122.JPG.9fd1f0baf48241cbc688133801bacd46.JPG

Basically complete booms; having a hard time though with the base components. I also need replacement parts in the legs as well :( :

101_0125.JPG.de608958f5fd27e3df8dfce4536e0f0a.JPG 101_0126.JPG.9692458e455df39d45f5f2e929266109.JPG

101_0127.JPG.fee888e126a49b81afbf726a80b81e00.JPG 101_0128.JPG.b36b250d684b692d859b448c62c2902c.JPG101_0129.JPG.64957fa44bce5ce7e5b87e21a045ac3f.JPG

I truly despise working with wood because of the mess, not to mention a plethora of other reasons that I'd rather not discuss. Easier for me to work with plastic overall.

Anyways, these are just fill-ins until I can get real parts for it.

˙˙˙˙pǝun┴ ʎɐʇS

My map is DUN! I would have liked to have done it in color, but that can come later. As for now, here is the world of Aranathea!

Started from a hand drawn map imported into Wonderdraft, then moved to GIMP for wording and art. There are a lot of downloadable 'brushes' for this stuff.

hFtkxIH.jpg

I cropped the center, making a central map with names for cities lakes and rivers, and ruins.

XnnpkuQ.jpg

It started on paper, being hand-drawn, and this was the first 'finished' product, with the incl of some clip-art. Some names have been changed since this was finished, but most stayed the same.

GxiHVDz.jpg

Now, I just need to finish the book...🤪

Thom

Edited by Thom

1 hour ago, Thom said:

My map is DUN! I would have liked to have done it in color, but that can come later. As for now, here is the world of Aranathea!

Started from a hand drawn map imported into Wonderdraft, then moved to GIMP for wording and art. There are a lot of downloadable 'brushes' for this stuff.

hFtkxIH.jpg

I cropped the center, making a central map with names for cities lakes and rivers, and ruins.

XnnpkuQ.jpg

It started on paper, being hand-drawn, and this was the first 'finished' product, with the incl of some clip-art. Some names have been changed since this was finished, but most stayed the same.

GxiHVDz.jpg

Now, I just need to finish the book...🤪

Thom

Well, I couldn't resist. But I only had 10 minutes, so please don't kill me Thom:724558749_ThomsMap.jpg.e0fc5518fdb2deb069b64a807dde7d43.jpg