Whats Lying on your Workbench MK IV

Urashiman

I decided to work on my 1/72 Matchbox F-5E Tiger again.

Before putting it on hold some months ago, I was in the process of creating a new canopy, forming it with FIMO by hand and sticking it to the cockpit, so I can pull down some heated clear stuff over it. You know the process :)

Anyway, what I didn't keep in mind was, that FIMO uses plasticizer to stay clay like. So now I am having an issue here...IMG_8037.JPG.d30adfd58bba78bd7d4a85d151abb558.JPG

IMG_8038.JPG.5a622556ea739075c6e8aaad6c75d8c9.JPG

The cockpit section just melted away.

So three options now:

- Trying to figure out how to dry out the plasticizer without melting the rest of the body

- Purchasing Evergreen plates and cutting off the nose, then completely scratchbuilding a new nose with cockpit

- throwing it away and going on to the next project.

Any suggesstion what else can be done?

3 hours ago, Urashiman said:

I decided to work on my 1/72 Matchbox F-5E Tiger again.

Before putting it on hold some months ago, I was in the process of creating a new canopy, forming it with FIMO by hand and sticking it to the cockpit, so I can pull down some heated clear stuff over it. You know the process :)

Anyway, what I didn't keep in mind was, that FIMO uses plasticizer to stay clay like. So now I am having an issue here...IMG_8037.JPG.d30adfd58bba78bd7d4a85d151abb558.JPG

IMG_8038.JPG.5a622556ea739075c6e8aaad6c75d8c9.JPG

The cockpit section just melted away.

So three options now:

- Trying to figure out how to dry out the plasticizer without melting the rest of the body

- Purchasing Evergreen plates and cutting off the nose, then completely scratchbuilding a new nose with cockpit

- throwing it away and going on to the next project.

Any suggesstion what else can be done?

I think, if you are confident in fully rebuilding the nose, maybe just cutting it from below the canopy sill and forward would be enough. Certainly less to rebuild and more to build up upon.

Best of all fortunes!

I just started tackling this Megazone 23 Hargan kit. I've never worked with a resin kit or at this scale, which feels tiny. The screws alone caused me an hour of frustration.  When I got the kit the intention was to find a suitable rider and the Sentinel Mospeada 1:48 pilot is pretty close. Not sure of any other articulated figures at that scale. Diaclone maybe?20211110_222348.jpg.03a37bdc1f022a2677e7ab66483e41e5.jpg

4 hours ago, Thom said:

I think, if you are confident in fully rebuilding the nose, maybe just cutting it from below the canopy sill and forward would be enough. Certainly less to rebuild and more to build up upon.

Best of all fortunes!

The whole front section is soft now, starting from the edge of cockpit, all the way to the front. I think I‘ll go with building the whole cockpit section anew. Shouldn‘t be too hard. Three plates left, right and buttom, landing gear box, the front plate to attach the actual nose, then some sanding and panel line scribing. Done.

1 hour ago, Urashiman said:

The whole front section is soft now, starting from the edge of cockpit, all the way to the front. I think I‘ll go with building the whole cockpit section anew. Shouldn‘t be too hard. Three plates left, right and buttom, landing gear box, the front plate to attach the actual nose, then some sanding and panel line scribing. Done.

Than hack at it!😄

8 hours ago, Salamander said:

@UrashimanThe first thought I had was "What happened to those poor pilots to turn them into meat moss like that?". The whole cockpit section looks like something from a horror movie...

Hahaha meat moss - no, there was no actual cockpit in those to halves. Only the struts to hold the seats. Red FIMO is bad...

@joscasle That is a BEAUTIFUL show-worthy build! All the little details look clean and so does your paint! It's hard to tell the difference between the model and the real thing other than the backdrop. Congratulations on a good modelling year too!

@Urashiman Too bad about the melted plastic. With it being a rough kit already, I think I would personally bin it and get a modern kit😧 But I'm sure you can resurrect it!

@daBlah! That is a small, but cool looking kit!

@electric indigo That's a great composite photo! The lighting adds dynamic movement to it along with the tracers. - MT

7 hours ago, MechTech said:

@joscasle That is a BEAUTIFUL show-worthy build! All the little details look clean and so does your paint! It's hard to tell the difference between the model and the real thing other than the backdrop. Congratulations on a good modelling year too!

@Urashiman Too bad about the melted plastic. With it being a rough kit already, I think I would personally bin it and get a modern kit😧 But I'm sure you can resurrect it!

@daBlah! That is a small, but cool looking kit!

@electric indigo That's a great composite photo! The lighting adds dynamic movement to it along with the tracers. - MT

I'll give it a try to resurrect it - if it doesn't work, I will discard it.

Edited by Urashiman

2 hours ago, Urashiman said:

When messing up a €2.99 kit, just purchase €6.00 Evergreen stuff to fix it.

hahahahahahahahahaaha

photo1637062942.jpeg.fac0c04f653877e778ec4e07c302182b.jpeg

Get loads of that. Blank styrene always comes in handy. There was a plastic supply business right in town where I am, pre Covid, and I could just walk into there and buy a cast off sheet for just a few bucks. They gone now though... Still, whenever I'm at the 'local' hobby store I'm always looking for more Evergreen stuff.

2 hours ago, electric indigo said:

Finished my weekend build of Ace Combat's X-49 Night Raven.

Whoa!!  Great photos.  The combination of flat black and white is impressive. Now I know why you painted that girl figure in black outfit, painting practice.

Edited by arbit

Beautiful work @Thom!!!  The belts are PE?  What did you use to fill in the gap at the wing roots?  So perfect that its only in the gap and no where else outside?!?!  I hate filling and sanding and often sand off a lot of fine details that I have to go back and put back in afterwards :(

4 hours ago, wm cheng said:

Beautiful work @Thom!!!  The belts are PE?  What did you use to fill in the gap at the wing roots?  So perfect that its only in the gap and no where else outside?!?!  I hate filling and sanding and often sand off a lot of fine details that I have to go back and put back in afterwards :(

Dude, Perfect Plastic Putty!

81dpkxQzsbL._AC_SL1500_.jpg

I squeeze a bit out and apply with a toothpick along the seam or gap, and then wipe with a wet q-tip. Not meant for big gaps obviously, but for wing roots and such it is pretty perfect. And it's water-based, so just add more water to reactivate it.

Edited by Thom

@Thom that PE looks the part!

_

I took more shots of the Night Raven and pasted it onto another Terragen backdrop:

51690533126_89f86443e0_c.jpg

Some more pics on Flickr

@Urashiman that is the Kotobukiya 1/144 plastic kit. Their Ace Combat line is awesome, but very pricey IMO. Of course I couldn't avoid the Night Raven.

@Gabe Q It's a small kit with few parts, day 1 is prepping the parts and paint the white inlet & exhaust and the scramjet engines, day 2 mask the white areas, assemble the upper and lower hull and prime everything in black, day 3 dark blue panel shading (that actually took two hours).

@Thom That cockpit looks great! Those details including the velcro seams on the seats makes it VERY realistic AND clean looking. I've never heard of that putty before - cool!

@electric indigo That's a great looking composite of your fighter!

@Urashiman You are brave! It's looking much better now. - MT

Hi everyone, I got some more work done over the past couple of weekends. Sorry for photo-bombing you guys with so many photos!

The armored car I'm modifying is based on the French Panhard AML-90 (below). I modernized it a bit. You can see where the over-sized turret comes from.

35-109.jpg.1f0fb780f10e78fbc36c1556cb9873a5.jpg

Normal people remove screws from their tires and plug the hole. I punched a hole and glued some hanging out! These are what will hold the model to the base. I used silicone RTV to glue them in place.

35-110.jpg.d6942c6a6f11095287f6977814be3690.jpg

Here's the completed tires and base with screw heads underneath.

35-111.jpg.1d8e76972a33feca40412682e546b76f.jpg

35-112.jpg.4a334c253569c889765ef63a9c4728ed.jpg

I FINALLY got to put a base coat of paint on my model this weekend. Time for A LOT of weathering and detailing.

35-116.jpg.bfac29e7f5a72de1883cbf60543fecf8.jpg

Last weekend was spent doing landscaping on the base by adding more sand and more dead plant life. This was BEFORE I drilled the holes for the screws in the base. I also rusted parts from an old artillery carriage frame. I'm thinking of calling this diorama "The Sands of Time" or "Haunt of Jackals", but I'm not sure yet.

35-114.jpg.d63ce06bd5996d4993c6dc5bda1e8dfc.jpg

35-115.jpg.e931bd0a2bf6bd5a19481ef215c6fdad.jpg

35-113.jpg.a13a5781543665e639fd3604106f69ba.jpg

That's it for this time. Thanks for checking in everyone! - MT