Whats Lying on your Workbench MK IV

Urashiman

10 hours ago, Rock said:

Just a random unnamed pinup character from the cover of chapter 069. R, you did a great job with the colors even if the skin tone is too light for the tanned beauty. 😛

I found it more fitting to make her a creature of the night, hence the different hair, too.

Looks good in daylight also.

51642990167_6ae571495e_c.jpg

5 hours ago, arbit said:

@electric indigo What was your mix for the black, and the highlights? I have a little black dress I need to paint like that.

The base color is a 1:1 mix of semi gloss black X-18 and dark sea grey XF-54, which has a nice warm tone to it. The shading was then done with a 3:1 mix, the other parts are pure black.

The cast had simple tube stubs for the energy bits, I replaced them with casts from Kotobukiya thrusters.

51620340840_50b8825fe9_c.jpg

On 10/29/2021 at 1:23 PM, peter said:

250644859_2991867331130540_8594780117083669629_n.jpg.5a0911572000a7662fa020da05d496d1.jpg

@peter That's TOOOoooo funny! Too true too!

@wm cheng Your Eagle is looking awesome! Too bad about having to redo it, but sometimes its just worth knowing that you went that extra mile! I'll have to mess with colored pencils!

@electric indigo The details look great on that figure! The cast parts and finish on them is a nice touch!

I actually got a bit of modelling done this weekend!

Irony is using an actual exploded shell fuse to hold down a model exploded artillery piece. It was handy and worked perfect. Both the glue and glued sand mixture are drying now.

35-105.jpg.ab589b0ae09597296801bc2c93c787ad.jpg

Most of the turret parts and hull parts are now glued together. I forgot how easy it us to just glue together a model without having to make the pieces. - funny!

This is a GREAT kit! The parts fit is great and it came with brass antenna mounts and a brass muzzle brake. There are a bunch of clear parts and photo-etch too.

35-106.jpg.786890d60fe0aaf0de5413cdbf4f0f29.jpg

35-107.jpg.18c30bff077d1f1d6632911857a7fdea.jpg

35-108.jpg.83541154cf3a17c57315f94bdaedf360.jpg

I'm going to have to fix the end of the barrel. It has indents in from being attacked by a giant cat!

That's it for this weekend. Thanks for checking in! - MT

6 minutes ago, electric indigo said:

I collected my photos of the V-Siren Mortar Headd in a new Flickr album: V-Siren

Nice mix of glossy and satin finishes. And the detail painting is outstanding. Beautiful work.

UPDATE: not much. I'll post as soon as I have progress on anything. Right now, may have to pack up stuff, as our landlord decided to tell us only now that she's selling the building.

And I JUST got my displays situated after 2 1/2 years. 😠 Grrrr....

17 minutes ago, pengbuzz said:

UPDATE: not much. I'll post as soon as I have progress on anything. Right now, may have to pack up stuff, as our landlord decided to tell us only now that she's selling the building.

And I JUST got my displays situated after 2 1/2 years. 😠 Grrrr....

Well fudge! Clearly she thought you needed that too. 

On 10/31/2021 at 9:19 AM, MechTech said:

@peter That's TOOOoooo funny! Too true too!

@wm cheng Your Eagle is looking awesome! Too bad about having to redo it, but sometimes its just worth knowing that you went that extra mile! I'll have to mess with colored pencils!

@electric indigo The details look great on that figure! The cast parts and finish on them is a nice touch!

I actually got a bit of modelling done this weekend!

Irony is using an actual exploded shell fuse to hold down a model exploded artillery piece. It was handy and worked perfect. Both the glue and glued sand mixture are drying now.

35-105.jpg.ab589b0ae09597296801bc2c93c787ad.jpg

Most of the turret parts and hull parts are now glued together. I forgot how easy it us to just glue together a model without having to make the pieces. - funny!

This is a GREAT kit! The parts fit is great and it came with brass antenna mounts and a brass muzzle brake. There are a bunch of clear parts and photo-etch too.

35-106.jpg.786890d60fe0aaf0de5413cdbf4f0f29.jpg

35-107.jpg.18c30bff077d1f1d6632911857a7fdea.jpg

35-108.jpg.83541154cf3a17c57315f94bdaedf360.jpg

I'm going to have to fix the end of the barrel. It has indents in from being attacked by a giant cat!

That's it for this weekend. Thanks for checking in! - MT

Reminds me of our top heavy G-Wagons, which have a tendency to roll over a lot, lol!

http://www.army-armee.forces.gc.ca/assets/ARMY_Internet/images/pages/vehicles/g-wagon-02.jpg

g-wagon-m.jpg

1 hour ago, GMK said:

@MechTech - quick one, what kit is that French 4x4 vehicle you’ve got there? TIA. 

It is actually the Tiger Model AMX-10RCR T 40M (pictured) after I chopped and channeled it to reduce the size. It's about the same dimensions of a light tank. I made it closer to the width of a LAV-25, but shorter. This vehicle never went into production, it was a demo vehicle. A similar turret was used on the new French armored cars.

@peter A Mercedes with a light turret huh, interesting.

My model is armored with a lightweight turret. So it looks bad, but not as bad as it looks. Would I take a corner with it at high speed? Thankfully its not real, so no one has to worry about it!🤣 - MT

35-92.5.jpg

On 11/1/2021 at 4:54 PM, Thom said:

Well fudge! Clearly she thought you needed that too. 

Yeah...trying to resolve that issue as we speak. Not doing too well today; lost an auction for a 1/3000 SDF-1 (rather not go into it), and found out that we need the back struts changed on our car. Then, been having PC issues tonight (on top of everything else). The other day I downloaded a program that then got nasty when I had to to delete it, and I got several BSoD's and...

Tell everyone what: never mind.  I'm tired of trying.

See you folks in 2022... if I have any sanity left.

Edited by pengbuzz

On 11/4/2021 at 6:45 AM, pengbuzz said:

Yeah...trying to resolve that issue as we speak. Not doing too well today; lost an auction for a 1/3000 SDF-1 (rather not go into it), and found out that we need the back struts changed on our car. Then, been having PC issues tonight (on top of everything else). The other day I downloaded a program that then got nasty when I had to to delete it, and I got several BSoD's and...

Tell everyone what: never mind.  I'm tired of trying.

See you folks in 2022... if I have any sanity left.

Hoping for all good things! Or otherwise, at least a few less things. Sanity is important, so do what you can to keep that last thread in the fight!

Hi guys, So I decided to call this project done!

I've shown you what I've been up to, but not EVERYTHING. I saved my favorites as surprises.

I got 5 months of grueling work down to a two minute video.

Hope you like it.

Officially OFF the workbench!

Many defect but, I think I did alright in blending them together with the weathering. See if you can find the 30+ painted yellow touchup on the decals I had to do after chipping them when removing my masking. 😮

Difficulty in making the canopy clear on this on after the decal's application. Tried the Testors "Wet Look" Lacquer... had horrible issues with bubbles forming on the parts during curing. Back to poly urethane clears for the next one.

SV-51yNORA_cover_image50.jpg

20211106_124926-25.jpg

18 minutes ago, Rock said:

Officially OFF the workbench!

Many defect but, I think I did alright in blending them together with the weathering. See if you can find the 30+ painted yellow touchup on the decals I had to do after chipping them when removing my masking. 😮

Difficulty in making the canopy clear on this on after the decal's application. Tried the Testors "Wet Look" Lacquer... had horrible issues with bubbles forming on the parts during curing. Back to poly urethane clears for the next one.

SV-51yNORA_cover_image50.jpg

20211106_124926-25.jpg

I don’t see any defect, only a damn good looking sv51 in fighter mode!

Woohoo!!! Calling this puppy done.  After so much went wrong on it, I'm just happy I actually finished it.  Sorry about all the dust on the canopy, at 1/72 scale, it looked clean to my old eyes until the photos magnified the dust.  Love the Photo-etched canopy details, but can't recommend the AK paints, they don't seem to adhere very well (lifts with Tamiya masking tape) and a tad on the dark side compared to the FS color fandeck.  Highly recommend the Eduard Photo-etched set and KA 3d Printed exhaust nozzles though.

IMG_2932.JPG.65863b353053123f2098b9fdd9ba5075.JPGIMG_2944.JPG.682f282550efc758952ceb769e43b5e7.JPGIMG_2942.JPG.ddb3a3e606cae89e54428a7a9be73913.JPGIMG_2943.JPG.1ac1d3947c570e3d5ec7e0fa8c5cd7aa.JPGIMG_2936.JPG.7b008acb76ce16ab32f6463ac9acf053.JPGIMG_2938.JPG.a7054872b14fbcd71471f167b4f44219.JPGIMG_2946.JPG.d2ca8a2308a646307e1b56aaab62e961.JPGIMG_2947.JPG.d82b50658b2005df857d00d5015a57cc.JPGIMG_2940.JPG.d397d6f5153663fc4b4bebc8db40da3f.JPG

@arbit Your work looks awesome in that video! Brilliant work creating all those figures and compiling them together. I haven't seen the video separately, but hopefully you mentioned what scale they are so people know how small they are and look that good! AWESOME job again Arbit! What's he up to next?:ph34r:

@Rock I don't see your flaws. That's a great build AND finish! All the work with those crazy decals paid off!

@wm cheng That's a awesome looking Eagle! I think you got the weathering just right for an Air Force bird too. The extra effort in the canopy and nozzles paid off. The details make it stand out and "pop"! - MT

@arbit Some really cool work on that dio and all the figures.

@wm cheng Damn! I hope my F-4J looks half as good as that! And here's hoping I have better luck with the AK paints I'm going to try...

@derex3592 Those are some tiny ass PE windows! I could probably loose one of those under a finger nail! Too bad they don't just print the window frames onto some clear plastic sheet that could be glued in from behind.

As for me, I'm finally getting the fuselage together on Showtime 100.

BjmaCii.jpg

@Thom what F-4 is that?  Is that the new F-4 1/72 from FineMolds?  I just got my kit (next one maybe next year) and waiting on aftermarket to get their acts together to get some detail sets for it.  It helps if you primer the entire plane.  I use Alclad grey primer, but I only spray the areas where I glued or filled or sanded to see any mistakes or need for further sanding - I usually don't primer the entire plane because I'm afraid that sometimes the finer engraved detail might get lost.  It seemed to only lift in areas where the AK was on top of bare plastic.  However I did primer the canopy and it lifted both the AK paints and primer from the canopy frames - don't know what happened there.

10 hours ago, wm cheng said:

@Thom what F-4 is that?  Is that the new F-4 1/72 from FineMolds?  I just got my kit (next one maybe next year) and waiting on aftermarket to get their acts together to get some detail sets for it.  It helps if you primer the entire plane.  I use Alclad grey primer, but I only spray the areas where I glued or filled or sanded to see any mistakes or need for further sanding - I usually don't primer the entire plane because I'm afraid that sometimes the finer engraved detail might get lost.  It seemed to only lift in areas where the AK was on top of bare plastic.  However I did primer the canopy and it lifted both the AK paints and primer from the canopy frames - don't know what happened there.

I may have to test the AK before I use it on the plane then. Thanks.

As for the model, it's Academy's 1/72 kit with the Showtime 100 markings.

https://imgur.com/a/TLOqoMI

ynkVBJI.jpeg

A real nice kit for exterior details, though lacking in the 'pit and the gear wells, at least where the IPs and panels are concerned. Odd that, as their F-14A puking Dogs has a great looking cockpit OOB with beautiful decals. Their F-14A is also a far newer tooled kit though, and the 'our we or our we not a snap fit kit' makes it suffer a bit. I ended up scratching detail in both and using the PE set meant for Hasegawa's F-4 in the cockpit. Had to nip and tuck it a bit to fit and hand paint the gray to color match.

4ZTM5sw.jpeg

I was going to buy Academy's Jolly Roger boxing next, but then I saw what Fine Mold had to offer and now that should be on its way soon, with aftermarket decals for the Skull and Bones.😉 Still liking the Academy kit though, it just takes a little extra work.

Thom

Edited by Thom

@derex3592 Those windows look good! About 5 minutes per window, what a drag.

@Thom Your Phantom is looking good so far! What is it with Phantoms this year? There are multiple new kits out on the market for them. It looks like Tamiya's 1/48th is the best fitting from what I've seen. - MT

1 hour ago, MechTech said:

@derex3592 Those windows look good! About 5 minutes per window, what a drag.

@Thom Your Phantom is looking good so far! What is it with Phantoms this year? There are multiple new kits out on the market for them. It looks like Tamiya's 1/48th is the best fitting from what I've seen. - MT

No idea! I just know that until a month ago I had no interest in building Phantoms, and now I have at least three! It must be a phever!

On 11/8/2021 at 5:46 AM, Thom said:

@arbit Some really cool work on that dio and all the figures.

Thanks Thom. PM me if there is something you MUST have for a project.

On 11/6/2021 at 11:05 PM, electric indigo said:

Holy Idol Madness! That's brilliant.

Thanks. But how did you know "Holy Idol Madness" was my project concept?

On 11/6/2021 at 11:41 PM, CrossAir said:

That's an awesome idea! And you printed and painted almost every main female character of the whole Macross universe. And they are looking really good, especially at that size. I Like it, definitely!

Thanks my friend. I ended up covering an Idol from each series, but I didn't start with that plan. I just kept going and going.  The world's greatest Macross Zero Fan @Xigfrid made Sarah Nome's necklace to complete the project.  

I was really excited when I realized I could make unique figures I always wanted like Ishtar, Sharon Apple, Sarah Nome, and Captain Minmay. 

856844542_2021-10-0511_00_28.jpg.e29d534beef8413dec450b64736b3a97.jpg

On 11/7/2021 at 5:59 PM, MechTech said:

@arbit Your work looks awesome in that video! Brilliant work creating all those figures and compiling them together. I haven't seen the video separately, but hopefully you mentioned what scale they are so people know how small they are and look that good! AWESOME job again Arbit! What's he up to next?:ph34r:

Why would you think I'm up to something? Guess you know me too well :)  What I lack in artistic skill, I make up with the element of surprise.

But lets just say I have seven new Macross figures for the Life Boat Platform for my Flight Deck.  And my motivation is to make neglected Macross figures.  

They are really small for a complete beginner painter like me.  But I figured if I painted 20 figures, I would learn something by the end.  I definitely learned some basics of hand brushing during the process, which you can't get from a tutorial, only from practice.

@derex3592  You didn't tell me what you think of the little back dress?

722709454_2021-11-0413_20_59.jpg.2ad302991840936887ec0c36f4e66fce.jpg

Edited by arbit

3 hours ago, Thom said:

@joscasleThat's quite the impressive line-up of models! And though I'm not normally 'into' Slave 1 that one is fantastic!

Thanks

2 hours ago, wm cheng said:

Beautifully done @joscasle - are the aircrafts 1/48?  Is the Tomcat the Tamiya kit?

Thanks! Yeah, it is a Tamiya 1/48 F-14A with some resines to updated to a mid late (seats, chin pod, tail reinforcements and ECM blisters. The Y-19 is in 1/48 too. The Slave One is 1/72 from Fine Molds 

I got the top of the wings glued on, and hit the gaps with a smear of PPP. There were some big ones where the intake parts met the fuselage, and I think if I was to build this model again it would be to add the intakes and trunking before the bottom of the fuselage was offered up. I think I could have gotten a perfect fit doing it that way. The wing/fuselage join also wasn't the best. There was a slight gap on both sides, but I ran some TET alng the join a few times and managed to anchor them together so I'm not afraid of any flexing cracking the PPP.

KlGDXy8.jpg

Thom

Edited by Thom