Whats Lying on your Workbench MK IV

Urashiman

This WIP is almost done. I was able to airbrush it instead of hand painting, since there are not a lot of details. The 1/48 eye decals look good compared to by hand, but probably still need to be smaller.

I lost the split in the dress during processing, which shows her leg down the side, but I since learned how to keep it. So that will be in the version I release one day.

20210912_002031.jpg.26eaa30e9b599a1e91a94911198f8301.jpg

On 9/20/2021 at 2:58 AM, electric indigo said:

Best Nora scheme I've seen!

The  sabers could use some dusting, too.

They had one, just not as much. I expected the next round of weathering to make a big contrasting impact that may need to be toned down again with another dusting, so I left them a bit clean as with the crosses.  

Anyways. Few mishaps. Some of the microsol didn't play well so some of the streaking was messed up with bleeding. Not end of the world but pretty annoying. Mess up 2 was as I expected. I had some paint/decals pulled off when masking, repairing that should be fun. Thankfully it is all pretty minor and in places that aren't too visible (top inside stripes on the legs.) Despite pre-tacking the tape and also 3-4 round of clear sealing in weathering effects it still happened. :(

As far as weathering. Since the last round. I tried AK Weathering Pencils. They weren't very good and didn't seem to want to transfer onto the Alclad flat topcoat very well. I expect they might work better on white paint for a focused chipping effect. I ended up just switching back to some artist pastels (tan, brown and white) I had and then using a dry brushing esq technique to blend them in a bit. After that another topcoat and an old fashion dot filter was done with artist oils/cold wax (titanium white). I dotted the surface using a tooth pick and let it sit for a minute. I then used lighter fluid and a still brush to blend in the effect a bit. Didn't turn out quite how I wanted it but the pink-maroon color and yellow are far from my normal color pallet range. Following that was another maroon dusting and a semi-gloss sealing in preparation for painting the black parts and doing all the mind-numbing warning decals. Once they dry it is back to a flat coat for weathering the black parts, sealer and then I can paint the parts that will stay metallic.

Also picked up a new stand. Pretty cool. Would recommend if it was around half the cost. It's just hard to swallow at $22usd for what it is.

Contrast of the fresh black and the rest is quite something.

sv51wip2.jpg

Edited by Rock

13 hours ago, MechTech said:

@arbit Your figure is looking good!

@pengbuzz I look forward to your scratch-build. That is going to be a fun subject to tackle!

@Rock Your finish is looking good! - MT

Yeah; what's not fun is the lack of blueprints, let alone top and bottom views of the plane. I had to resort to looking at the old line drawings and cutting and pasting together a pic of a review in order to produce what I'll need. Even then, the stuff doesn't agree 100 percent and I know my tolerances will be affected by it.

This is what I have so far:

1174345420_1-72CatsEyeThreeView.jpg.77bd51839d4afb7396eff3106bcd88c6.jpg

Don't forget "anime magic!" Anyone here who has tried to scratch build something in Macross will be scratching their head as soon as they start comparing drawings. The only exception are the newer anime with actual 3D models taken from the animation. I wish you all the best!;) - MT

6 hours ago, MechTech said:

Don't forget "anime magic!" Anyone here who has tried to scratch build something in Macross will be scratching their head as soon as they start comparing drawings. The only exception are the newer anime with actual 3D models taken from the animation. I wish you all the best!;) - MT

Exactly; sometimes I wonder if the parts themselves are supposed to be so "advanced" that they change shape by contorting themselves to be plumper/ slimmer/shorter/ taller as needed?

Or if the animators need rulers? :lol:

@GMK I didn't know the CCP watched Macross or played Yukikaze!😄 I DEFINITELY see the resemblance.

@pengbuzz English accent: "And so our Maskingtape Master embarks on another adventure into the unknown." :D It's taking shape! - MT

Edited by MechTech

35 minutes ago, Gabe Q said:

@pengbuzz You have a real good eye for proportions. Your Cat's Eye is looking just the right shape so far!

Thanks! So far, it's just from the blueprints really. I still need to reinforce the nose to lengthen it, develop the wings and engine nacelles on the, and add the tail and winglets. After that, it's on to the radome and struts.

5 hours ago, Chronocidal said:

I'm also seeing a lot of this plane as an influence, especially in the tails.
714b5ba20dfd42a47d28bcbd48b66709.jpg

Really looks like someone mashed up that, the Mave, and the X-02 from Ace Combat.

FA-37 Talon from the movie stealth (which was basically a Macross Plus Rip-Off)

4 hours ago, Urashiman said:

FA-37 Talon from the movie stealth (which was basically a Macross Plus Rip-Off)

We're going from "art imitates life" to "life imitating art"! I don't know if that's a good or bad thing!:wacko:

@pengbuzz Your Catseye is looking good! Are you going to use wood or something like that for the engine nacelle ends? - MT

6 hours ago, MechTech said:

We're going from "art imitates life" to "life imitating art"! I don't know if that's a good or bad thing!:wacko:

@pengbuzz Your Catseye is looking good! Are you going to use wood or something like that for the engine nacelle ends? - MT

Nope; I simply cut small "v"'s out of the corners and folded them in:

1247512730_100_05801.JPG.2caedb5bb6f7a7409ef53a2a3bcb7fd0.JPG

I'll be refining them as I go, using cardboard edging to sharpen and achieve the beveled look. Still have to get the disk and supporting arms done, and start refinement work overall on the wings and body. Cockpit and pilots are going in somewhere during that time (which should be pretty soon-ish).

As a general note: this model is still in "Phase 1" initial forming mode, before I step into "Phase 2" refinement mode. "Phase 3" will be detailing and adjustments for the final look before the "Phase 4" paint and final detail mode.

(Yeah, I get bored and create new terms for my work! :lol: )

@pengbuzz There is a lot of "suspicious" updates for Windows right now. I'm seeing the same problem. There is one PC I'm thinking of resetting back to original drivers and updates. It crawls like a snail all of a sudden, and it isn't used in a way a virus would normally hit it. Why can't everyone just play nice!:wacko: - MT

2 hours ago, MechTech said:

@pengbuzz There is a lot of "suspicious" updates for Windows right now. I'm seeing the same problem. There is one PC I'm thinking of resetting back to original drivers and updates. It crawls like a snail all of a sudden, and it isn't used in a way a virus would normally hit it. Why can't everyone just play nice!:wacko: - MT

PM coming your way (so I don't derail the thread here).

5 hours ago, MechTech said:

It will just be M$ playing the usual games when they are about to drop a new OS. Patch the hell outta the old ones and make anything they don't want anyone using so rubbish that the user upgrades either buy buying the new os or buying a new pc with it already installed.   If you are on Win7 or Win8  then M$ want you off it and on 10 or 11 as soon as its out of final beta.   To use a phrase we all know that fits , “All this has happened before, and will happen again”

One step closer. My Tamiya red spray paint is on the way and with that I can finally finish painting it. Luckily the legs easily disconnect. 

Applying decals is going to be fun! 👍

IMG_0884.JPG

IMG_0890.JPG

IMG_0888.JPG

Edited by 505thAirborne

13 hours ago, big F said:

It will just be M$ playing the usual games when they are about to drop a new OS. Patch the hell outta the old ones and make anything they don't want anyone using so rubbish that the user upgrades either buy buying the new os or buying a new pc with it already installed.   If you are on Win7 or Win8  then M$ want you off it and on 10 or 11 as soon as its out of final beta.   To use a phrase we all know that fits , “All this has happened before, and will happen again”

Sadly so; as my wife says: "I feel like it isn't my computer, it's theirs". And unless you keep a PC off the internet and never update it, I'm forced to agree.

11 hours ago, 505thAirborne said:

One step closer. My Tamiya red spray paint is on the way and with that I can finally finish painting it. Luckily the legs easily disconnect. 

Applying decals is going to fun! 👍

IMG_0884.JPG

IMG_0890.JPG

IMG_0888.JPG

Wow! Really looking sharp there!

Meantime, just got for a really good price on Ebay the following model:

322114134_ebayxwingsealed.jpg.2c42923b2cc78e84b2104fcd0ae75a8c.jpg

Still sealed, so that's a nice plus. It will be the replacement for one I built about 20-ish years ago that I loaned to a hobby shop for display and they still cannot find where it went! Just waiting for it to arrive, and one thing I need to do is find a replacement pilot for it (I recall the one included has..erm...issues...)

Edited by pengbuzz

I was building this over the past weeks, as a present for the fiancé of my wifes sister (not sure if there is a proper term for that relationship in a family).

He really likes One Piece and didn’t want to purchase the 300 bucks Going Merry. So I got the bandai kit for cheap and smashed it together rather unprofessional. Still looks better than the 300 bucks version.

096D8971-6C28-41E8-AA4F-4C7A62C5D375.jpeg.23cc2ef5d9fe30b4f2b13e057b73b025.jpeg

priming the crew :)

A2921183-2C1E-45F1-9016-DB2F6DCBEC23.jpeg.906d34ef63fa47c76cf2e49b4f61afc7.jpeg

pre-shading the ship.

8D0D21D1-9D1A-4A26-B763-7ED71DCFE355.jpeg.6ea85dfe11fea35fb29afba5dad897f1.jpeg

first airbrush stage done

EC902F3B-C5FA-44DE-91A6-43FDC5A4B4C9.jpeg.a07e7eec0290216ba047e1b6c003a1a8.jpeg

heavy masking tape job for white parts.

0E8B02AC-14E9-46FF-8BB1-31B860867F12.jpeg.f46e3e7d99ce5af89c4eeb4538ffa386.jpeg

color was a bit to thin and went under the masking. Had to fix that later.

E118BFA9-64AC-40D7-A092-2D16DAAD56E6.jpeg.933e69d277bd8994eed88491b17ac101.jpeg

the finished crew. My index finger next to them for size comparison.

157C957A-1DA9-440E-AF5E-821ED273257C.jpeg.a050323aa75c4c7a3c2fe4a5dde41fbd.jpeg

the finished ship.

0D9C6715-23BA-4238-BD78-19344769402F.jpeg.6830b37db868b4449393fb93c0479689.jpeg66B6724B-70E6-4EC7-9598-1812501576AC.jpeg.67614fded1679e0356c844803b901793.jpeg

I liked the kit. It was fitting really well and was a pleasure to build. 100% recommended for any One Piece fan. :)

wasn’t my best build though, as I was a bit under time pressure to get it done until his birthday.

10 hours ago, Urashiman said:

I was building this over the past weeks, as a present for the fiancé of my wifes sister (not sure if there is a proper term for that relationship in a family).

Nice gift! Hope he likes it and many happy years ahead.

So this is what's on my workbench. I've been trying to figure out the easiest way to paint these little figures in an anime style, but still get some depth, without turning them into weathered warhammer figures.

After sanding and priming in white, I am basing them in white to get vibrant anime colors. I then preshade with a hand brush using complementary colors. I need the pre-shade to be toned up or down depending on the final base coat. For example, I lost the preshade under the hair because it need to be darker. And I don't want it too strong under lighter shades such as the skin and clothing.

Lining everything also really helps with the painting process especially with small details, because I can go up to the lines and not be worried about going over, and it serves as lining as well. 

202896979_2021-09-3018_08_23.jpg.3d239d3a83c161515802632250dd8c7e.jpg

Then I just paint the blocked out areas with a normal brush on a wet pallete, and make out the details with cheap 000 fine liners. I try to paint hard to reach areas first and light colors, then dark colors last. Light colors first because I don't need to worry about hitting the edges perfectly.

295515943_2021-10-0300_26_45.jpg.0f2e0b9627b55dd753746676f1027c0f.jpg

With this approach I can avoid wetblending.  The next step could be some edge highlights or lining. But for a small figure, it could be good enough.

Any advice to improve appreciated.

Edited by arbit

UPDATE:

100_0581.JPG.d1d1fee39d35e97b2bd7ae1d6d8c59de.JPG  100_0582.JPG.e01ab3868dce0b2296844aacf6422657.JPG

Did some more body work, refined the wing nacelles a little more and tried to shape the wing to be more aerodynamically-appropriate. I also managed to get the flaps on the rear of the wings. She's still a bit rough, but starting to "get there"...

Stay tuned...

Edited by pengbuzz

@big F You're still alive!:D You are too right! Same ole' MS shenanigans!

@505thAirborne You're paint is looking good! I look forward to the final finish.

@Urashiman Your gift looks REALLY good! Great details. "One Piece" is a trip of a series! We got one of the movies without seeing the series and almost got lost - but it was funny!

@arbit Your Ranka looks good! I think you are on the right track with painting. The only thing that might make your lined areas straighter is decals, but she looks really good! And you printed her. She's not a mass produced kit.

@derex3592 OG QRau!:lol: The primer is looking smooth!

@pengbuzz I always like to see a coat of primer, it helps bring the model together!

I've been busy doing graphics, but got a little modeling in this weekend. All of the original bolt detail on the gun had to be filed off to clean up the seems. So I replaced that. Then glued stuff together for "junk" on the diorama. - MT

35-101 (1).jpg

35-102.jpg