Whats Lying on your Workbench MK IV

Urashiman

13 hours ago, Dobber said:

Here are my R2 1/1000 Discoprise and the Moebius 1/1000 Kelvin. They size very well together. As you know I’m working on an old 1/650 TOS kit and while they are similar sized models (1/1000 Discoprise and the 1/650 TOS) honestly they don’t look right next to each other. The size of details are just off. The Discoprise is just clearly a larger ship or the details of the TOS ship are just larger more bulbous. It would be like taking a fletcher class destroyer and just saying it’s about the same length as an Iowa class Battleship. The lengths would match but the details are out of proportion. If that makes any sense. 

Some of the details do look larger, but what constantly sticks in my mind is the deck lighting.  The windows of the Discoprise's various sections seem to line up almost completely with classic deck diagrams of the TOS Enterprise.  The neck is shorter, and the bridge levels are mixed up, but the levels of lighting on the secondary hull almost look like a deck-for-deck copy.  Doesn't mean the ship wouldn't be longer or shorter, but the vertical scale of the hull and shuttlebay looks very similar.

Really, I'd just like to see an official deck layout for the new ship.  I love the visual update, and think it makes a great believable midpoint between the show Enterprise and the TMP refit (apart from the bridge design, just a personal nitpick), but I really miss the days when artists and designers reveled in creating diagrams for every last detail of a ship like this.  From reading some of the design process, it sounds like they did go into a lot of those details, but I haven't really seen anything showing all of that work off.

This article about the design is pretty interesting, and it talks a little about how they intended it to visually follow into the TOS design, before the VFX team who built the final CGI model made a few changes (mainly it seems they decided to give the nacelle pylons the TMP-style sweep).  https://trekmovie.com/2019/03/24/how-the-uss-enterprise-was-redesigned-for-star-trek-discovery/

On 7/7/2021 at 8:57 AM, electric indigo said:

V-Siren gives you the eye...

-Realize it is just where you stopped painting but, I really like the unpainted/white fades on the abdomen. I kind of reminds me of the underwater light refraction effects modelers used to do on the old Hygogg builds. Kinda fitting for the Neptune's name.

On 7/4/2021 at 12:47 PM, derex3592 said:

My Brother In Law got the glass back from the glass place this week and he did the print on the glass for me. It looks amazing.  Here is a pic of the glass fresh off the printer and also a mockup of how this 10 month long project is going to look in the end. More detail painting continues... but we're getting there! Bring the warp engines on line!! Hype train now boarding!!! 

IMG_76751_20210701_172048.jpg

20210704_113515.jpg

Looking nice so far!

meantime, I dare someone to take a Runabout model and do the Griswold Family's "green station wagon" space version, complete with Grandma on the top of it (National Lampoon's Vacation) and Lindsey Buckingham singing "Holiday Road" programmed into the base that can play when activated! :D

On 7/10/2021 at 7:20 AM, Dobber said:

She looks great @peter  What base Hull color did you use? It works really well with the paneling decals.

Chris

I went with an off white mix layered on top of Stynylrez Gray primer.  It was mostly Tamiya White with a few drops of Light Gray, but I'm still mucking around with opacity with the air brush so I just kept adding layers until it sort of looked right.  I was trying to match the box art from the 1/1000 Discoprise box, which looked more gray than metallic.

From the trailers that I've seen, the Discoprise looks like it's got a metallic finish in the show, much like the NX-01 did in Enterprise, which is a nice touch because it sort of connects the two generations.  There were images of the NX-01 Refit with a more whitish/gray finish (not officially canon?) which would have connected Enterprise with the TOS, but I guess STD now trumps all of that.

I never get tired of looking at your ST builds, and I still marvel at your hand-penciled Aztecs.

Edited by peter
edited for spelling

On 7/10/2021 at 6:14 PM, MechTech said:

@peter Your Enterprise came out great! Did you say it has STDs?😅 Seriously, it is sad how much it cost.

I think we're going to see prices fluctuate. The Chinese Communist Party is cracking down on freedom in Honk Kong. They are already responsible for shutting down several companies including some model companies. A lot of kits for other companies were made there too. As new sources have to be found, including home grown molding, we may see higher costs - even for age old molds.

**SNIP**

TT3.jpg.c2252d84e5b31ecaddeede9a2309f92e.jpg

That's it for now everyone! Thanks for checking in. - MT

Your workshop looks like a lab, with the yellow/black stripped lines on the ground and everything, at least in this pic :)

By the way, your turtle sun-deck reminded me of your Daedalus build for some reason.

On 7/11/2021 at 9:26 AM, derex3592 said:

Runabout detail painting continues... We're getting down to the small details now.. Stay tuned! 

20210711_112251.jpg

I honestly had no idea the Runabout had so much detail, wow.

@Thom - Thanks! 

@peter - Yeh it has greeblees on top of its greeblees! LOL! I don't know how much more I'll do though...haha! 

@Dobber - You have no idea -- this is the longest I've ever taken building a kit - I'm at the 10.5 month mark, BUT, the custom interior was a HUGE chunk of time, and the lighting, and the terrible fit of the fit in general! Been a breeze other than that! :crazy: 

Edited by derex3592

@derex3592 The Runabout is looking great! All those colors. They looked so blah in the series - or maybe its just my memory.

@peter Thanks, Peter. The tape is just around the doorway. People like to stick stuff there and block it. The tape helps say "no." As far as looking like the Daedalus, they are both boxy looking! Maybe the ramp for destroids, errr, ah a turtle too. - MT

2 minutes ago, derex3592 said:

@Dobber - Going with the good ole Rio Grande from DS-9, however, I'm gonna do a couple small TX state flag symbols/flag decals just for fun! Cause hey, gotta represent my great state of TX! :)

Oops, double post.

Edited by derex3592

@derex3592 Nice! Have you ever seen this F-16 from the TXANG? I’m not from Texas and I think that looks AWESOME! Hobby Master is making this in 1/72 Diecast. Got one on preorder😎

554C404B-5FD1-40DB-9D81-5AF71CEA32C7.jpeg.2bde238f691588d7978a7cfda0e3fc9e.jpeg
A9142F7D-499F-49FC-82B7-9524F2C8187E.jpeg.fc8522970a15e5c3c82093e5e484f1d2.jpeg

1230F90D-4D99-4C29-BBC5-578FB5F3929C.jpeg.db8ea2c4129eafd5a85370febbadcb41.jpeg

Edited by Dobber

56 minutes ago, derex3592 said:

@Dobber - I had NOT sir and that I must say if FREAKIN awesomeness!!!! :good:

If you’re interested:  https://www.petescollectibles.com/display.asp?ItemNo=HA3884#item

HM makes great models. Saves me th frustration of not having to build EVERYTHING I like. ;)

Chris

10 hours ago, derex3592 said:

@Dobber - Going with the good ole Rio Grande from DS-9, however, I'm gonna do a couple small TX state flag symbols/flag decals just for fun! Cause hey, gotta represent my great state of TX! 

Go large man, cover the entire bottom of the ship with the flag...or the top.

I didn't think the Roy colors would work with the Defiant so I just did the bottom, and it still looks Star Trek from the top, but I think it turned out ok anyway.

BTW, I really want to visit Texas one day.  Two things I love, steak and guns, and I hear there is an abundance of both there.

Couple of builds on the table. I'm painting and weathering the cockpit to my Eduard F6F-5 Hellcat.

NXS60yg.jpg

4f4k13c.jpg

JIVqcte.jpg

And the Sprite is out from a recent trip to the paint station. It'll go back in again, as there was some paint peel, but not much and I'll be adding more colors to her. but as she is now...

lFkK7uj.jpg

5HrMaoQ.jpg

More to follow.

Model on!

Thom

Edited by Thom

You guys showed up with lots of great builds and projects the past weeks! I could follow up scarcely. My own little project, the repaint of my yellowed DX VF-25F was completely on hold for weeks. Well, until a few days ago. Since then I made some significant progress as the Main colors are almost done for now.

Used up one and a half roll of masking tape already.

DF1E24FD-0282-4A6B-A66B-4FFABB72E458.jpeg.e2bfc3a87a87125149b0272f9491c316.jpeg

I did not try to disassemble the main part of the upper fuselage with the wings as all joints are pinned or glued tightly:

2B5CFD81-153F-49AC-9B28-E721DF67F37E.jpeg.d97d7d0841f550e77a4c131df2b7745b.jpeg

Had to sand down the area around the swivel mechanism of the side rudders to avoid paint scratches as the gaps are very tight. Hope it was enough sanding after clear coating:

19F267FC-004E-4662-80E5-4A4711FA10C3.jpeg.33013e84e2ab109a70509b5ab348e2be.jpeg

On 7/15/2021 at 4:49 AM, electric indigo said:

That looks good already!

Btw if anybody has got an appetite for the Aestivalis Artillery Battle Frame from @MechTech's build, the kit was re-released today:

https://www.1999.co.jp/eng/10067325

Thanks Electric Indigo! And speaking of the Battle Frames... I got some color on them now. There is still a lot of paint hoses, cables and hydraulic pistons to add, but at least they don't look like a patchwork quilt anymore.

The right unit's gun barrel took the bluing compound (an acid) really well. The left unit didn't do a thing after the acid was brushed and even allowed to sit on it for a while. So obviously it's not just some steel, but an alloy. So I got a torch out and gave it a little color (maybe too much). It can be sanded back if overdone.

That's the fun part about scrapping old electronics. You don't always know what you got. Speaking of which, an old drive belt from a printer (already cut up) was used to line the fingers and give them some grip. I cheated. They were hollow and needed filling. Forget the putty and add some grip instead!

@electric indigo Those colors do look cool! Why do I feel like putting 80's music on all of a sudden? On a semi-related note, our local comic book store has the Bandai L-Gaim models. I'm tempted to get one.

@CrossAir That paint is looking good! I hope it sticks down for you without getting scratched up too badly. - MT

35-71.jpg

@Thom Thank you, I'm curious if all will really fit together in the end as I imagined.

@MechTech Thanks, it's a little bit of trial and error and luck tonot overdo sanding and keep the gaps small enough while avoid scratches in the end. Your Battle Frames looking great - I really love those gun builds of yours with those highly detailed barrels and shells!

@electric indigo As everybody else already said: awesome looking colors. Can't wait to see all set together.

3 hours ago, MechTech said:

The right unit's gun barrel took the bluing compound (an acid) really well. The left unit didn't do a thing after the acid was brushed and even allowed to sit on it for a while. So obviously it's not just some steel, but an alloy. So I got a torch out and gave it a little color (maybe too much). It can be sanded back if overdone.

35-71.jpg

Muzzle brakes look great!  For reference:P1273982.JPG

Cerakote finish, not cleaned after 500 rounds.

P8011924.JPG.8d7d97f69a81d684d876ae99b36ccb1a.JPG

Cheap 1911, original factory blued finish

P8190042.JPG.b83388ed81382a37b1e89f5a154bb504.JPG

After sanding and some custom engraving

P8190048.JPG.6d377b2e9dfba3ae142bfc4e94f146fc.JPG

After using a cold blue (Birchwood Casey Perma Blue from the local hardware store).  I did a horrible job, but the metal was protected.  It never looked as good as the factory blue, but that's not saying much, the original finish was pretty nasty anyway, lol!

6 hours ago, CrossAir said:

You guys showed up with lots of great builds and projects the past weeks! I could follow up scarcely. My own little project, the repaint of my yellowed DX VF-25F was completely on hold for weeks. Well, until a few days ago. Since then I made some significant progress as the Main colors are almost done for now.

Used up one and a half roll of masking tape already.

DF1E24FD-0282-4A6B-A66B-4FFABB72E458.jpeg.e2bfc3a87a87125149b0272f9491c316.jpeg

I did not try to disassemble the main part of the upper fuselage with the wings as all joints are pinned or glued tightly:

2B5CFD81-153F-49AC-9B28-E721DF67F37E.jpeg.d97d7d0841f550e77a4c131df2b7745b.jpeg

Had to sand down the area around the swivel mechanism of the side rudders to avoid paint scratches as the gaps are very tight. Hope it was enough sanding after clear coating:

19F267FC-004E-4662-80E5-4A4711FA10C3.jpeg.33013e84e2ab109a70509b5ab348e2be.jpeg

Looking good so far! 

I still have to find a toy that's so far gone I'm not afraid to repaint.  Most of the toys in my collection are in pretty good shape so I can't seem to find the nerve to repaint yet.

3 hours ago, peter said:

Looking good so far! 

I still have to find a toy that's so far gone I'm not afraid to repaint.  Most of the toys in my collection are in pretty good shape so I can't seem to find the nerve to repaint yet.

I think this will be the only repaint of a DX toy for me. I'll rather use peroxide or bleach on my other yellowed ones next time. My three yellowed VF-25 toys were the first ones I got and it seems I was too careless in the beginning and exposed them to direct sunlight too often. My newer toys currently on display are still in perfect condition as they are always kept away from the sun.

So I took my 1st step into a larger world..... After watching massive reviews and comparisons on  YouTube (shout out to Barbatos Rex) his hobby channel is amazing.. I now own a pair of excellent nippers. These are truly amazing to use. Can't wait to use them while building kits. The quality is beyond great and the packaging is 1st class all the way. I'm now a fan of Dspiae. My old Xurons (which I have used for years now and never had any issues) will be relegated to big sprue cutting. 

20210716_170126.jpg

20210716_170142.jpg

20210716_170204.jpg

20210716_171513.jpg

46 minutes ago, derex3592 said:

So I took my 1st step into a larger world..... After watching massive reviews and comparisons on  YouTube (shout out to Barbatos Rex) his hobby channel is amazing.. I now own a pair of excellent nippers. These are truly amazing to use. Can't wait to use them while building kits. The quality is beyond great and the packaging is 1st class all the way. I'm now a fan of Dspiae. My old Xurons (which I have used for years now and never had any issues) will be relegated to big sprue cutting. 

20210716_170126.jpg

20210716_170142.jpg

20210716_170204.jpg

20210716_171513.jpg

OK, historically, I've always gone cheap on nippers, how awesome are really good nippers?

I used to use whatever I found at the local hardware store, and last year, I spent what I thought was a fortune on Tamiya side cutters.  But recently I've been seeing GodHands pop up on the model groups:

https://www.sunwardhobbies.ca/godhand-parts-nipper-limited-production-gh-pn-165/?gclid=EAIaIQobChMI98-hgdvo8QIVga7ICh2utQvjEAQYASABEgI94_D_BwE

That is a buttload of money to spend on nippers, but is it worth it?  I honestly don't know.

@peter -- It's kind of like driving a REALLY good car or firing a REALLY good gun.  There's just a difference.  In this case the really good nippers allow you to 99.9% flush cut off the sprue/gate with no damage to the plastic part and extremely minimal cleanup by sanding.  Something I REALLY wish I'd had on my 7 Enterprise builds around the #$%$$^& saucer sections of the ships!!!   I almost went for the Tamiya side cutters, but decided on these based upon reviews I watched and read.  The GodHands are a benchmark, but the Godhands model I was looking at were about $65 dollars on Amazon, the 5.0 Model 120.  I believe the ones you posted were for resin cutting and yes, that is a ridiculous amounty of $$$!  Here's the best video review I found, you can skip around to see an assortment of higher end models, including the Tamiya, GodHands and the ones I went with. Happy nipping! 

Edited by derex3592