Whats Lying on your Workbench MK IV

Urashiman

@pengbuzz That is a great Design! I love the gunpod too! I like the head being on the upper surface where it might be of more use like firing to cover the rear or defending the upper area of the mecha.

No new photos worth posting of the lighthouse. Just wiring and a switch, so now at least it has it's own power. I think I need to redo the brushes on the rotor though. - MT

You are correct. Tamiya slaps their name on the Olfa hobby stuff and jacks up the price. Today I made a center console for the Runabout cockpit so it matches the later seasons of DS9. Next I need to construct a standing center console to go about halfway back in the cockpit and also construct the transporter. 

Stay tuned! 

20201101_172545.jpg

Edited by derex3592

On 11/1/2020 at 7:29 PM, pengbuzz said:

Sorry, not familiar with that one. O.o

An XBOX360 exclusive space shooter. The planes in that game were actually designed by Shoji Kawamori.

The game was kinda fun, but the story was mediocre.

2213620-box_psaod.thumb.png.560162c90099f2f8ea16ea76b521ba7e.png

It's a pleasure to see such a masterful finish on this gem of a kit. What a funky design, right down to the entrance ladder. And putting the model down on this delicate landing gear must have been nerve-wrecking.

Red is a difficult color to weather, how did you achieve the look?

8 hours ago, valkyriepm said:

Hi guys! As promised, made a quick base and better pics of the Schira DOW. Hope you like it! --pics heavy--:unsure:

Martin

Thanks for the photos! Very nice build. Going through it now carefully to see what I can learn.

@valkyriepm Absolutely gorgeous build! I agree, the weathering is superb and harder to do on red colors.

@electric indigo Cool build! I just finished an awesome book called, "A Higher Call" about pilots Charlie Brown and Franz Stigler. Not only is the main part of the story cool, but it goes into Stigler's experience as one of the last 262 pilots before the fall of the Nazis. Then it covers after the war and their reunion. It's cool reading about the 262 and all the pilots experience with it. - MT

On 11/5/2020 at 4:23 AM, electric indigo said:

Red is a difficult color to weather, how did you achieve the look?

Thank you! Sorry for the late response. In fact I gave it quite a thoght. First gray primer wich will gave me a nice base to darken the red. Then pre-shading on panel lines with white to work as the faded color. Then a dark red all around. Chipping with a light pink. Seal it with gloss varnish, then panel lined with dark brown. Faded paint with yellow oil paint on top surfaces and some panels. Some other with light gray. Then streaks and etc. :)

Thank you all for your replies!

Martin

Don't you just LOVE when a simple early Sunday morning re-prime turns into a f*ckin nightmare. I'm forever done with resin kits. This one is gonna be the death of me. Back down to the resin we go, if I can, if I can't, it's gonna go in the trash. 

20201108_100955.jpg

Edited by derex3592

1 hour ago, derex3592 said:

Don't you just LOVE when a simple early Sunday morning re-prime turns into a f*ckin nightmare. I'm forever done with resin kits. This one is gonna be the death of me. Back down to the resin we go, if I can, if I can't, it's gonna go in the trash. 

What happened? Was the paint not sticking?

1 hour ago, derex3592 said:

Don't you just LOVE when a simple early Sunday morning re-prime turns into a f*ckin nightmare. I'm forever done with resin kits.

Aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaarg!

Argh, sorry man @derex3592  Looks like there was mold release agent on the resin.  If it makes you feel any better, I've been there as have most people who starts out with resin.  It certainly teaches you to scrub it down really well, I use detergent AND comet with a toothbrush - it taught me a lesson I won't forget.  But yes, I feel your pain.

2 hours ago, derex3592 said:

20201108_100955.jpg

If you can't, I can see if I can save it for you bro.

So what happened was.....I've had this kit for years, it's been cleaned properly, primed, painted, then sanding back as the light grey went down rough.  So..this morning I was ready to re-prime and move forward with a fun "Dazzle" Camo grey paint job as discussed a few pages back.  I was out of Tamiya Fine Surface Primer and my one hobby shop locally is out as is everywhere on line. I did have Tamiya Liquid surface primer in white. Ok, fine, so I thinned it 50/50 with lacquer thinner and went to spraying. That was working laying down fine, but taking forever to cover, I'd forgotten resin takes sooooo many more coats of things. So ok, I whipped out the spray can of High Build Black Primer I used to light block the runabout a couple of weekends ago remembering how great and smooth it laid down. Great! Outdoor temp check -- 65 degrees. Humidity, a bit high but whatever, it's north TX.  Let's do this! 

Not 30 seconds after I applied the spray primer to the model I knew I was screwed.  It started cracking like shattered glass. Looked kinda cool honestly, wished I taken a picture. I believe what happened is this.  When I airbrushed the Tamiya Primer with the lacquer thinner, it made the resin very cold. It does make the airbrush cold. Something in the thinner, feels cold on your skin as well, I'm not a chemist so I can't tell you why.  

What I can tell you is it cooled the resin down enough so the black spray primer cracked when it went to dry immediately after I applied it. It's the same thing that happened on my Enterprise D engine paint that one cold morning. It was fine in the garage, but when I opened the garage door and the cool air came in, the paint spiderwebbed.  

Dammit. 3 hours of time wasted this morning on what should have been a 10 minute re-prime IF I had my good old Tamiya Fine Surface Primer (Grey) in a spray can. 

Curses...

@derex3592 The shuttle looks great! Nice and clean wiring too. Sorry about your paint. I think Arbit might be right. I was thinking the same thing. When I was in England, it seemed like I was always painting in the cold (and wind) and then bringing stuff to dry in the house (in a vacant room). I hope things work out for you!

Slow going on the lighthouse and it needs to be done for the 20th! The spring brushes on the rotor were causing too much resistance for the week pulley (remember, it's there to act as a clutch in case someone nails the plane while it's spinning). Plus the light blinked occasionally. So I machined a new type of brush that will use gravity to hold it against the copper rings.

00000PORTRAIT_00000_BURST20201107153020628.thumb.jpg.44b428652022d8a106c5aeb79c5f5273.jpg

You can see how the brushes will swing on the rotor now.

00000PORTRAIT_00000_BURST20201107192043191.thumb.jpg.88662c043e079832acb7d1f3249508ca.jpg

There will be two rows of brushes, one on either side so that one set will always make contact to eliminate breaks in the circuit.

00000PORTRAIT_00000_BURST20201108151056138.thumb.jpg.be9584eded112c22b02e48743ab571a8.jpg

Then I got the micro connector installed in the wing to "plug" the plane into the swinging arm.

On the other hand, I have another dilemma. My cats have no concept of the space time continuum. Two cats can't fit into a small box and one 24" inch cat cant fit into a 9.5" box! - MT

IMG_20201103_165410.jpg

IMG_20201107_210528.jpg

That's

10 minutes ago, MechTech said:

On the other hand, I have another dilemma. My cats have no concept of the space time continuum. Two cats can't fit into a small box and one 24" inch cat cant fit into a 9.5" box! - MT

Hilarious. Cat's love your cardboard boxes I guess. Sleeping in your territory is how they strengthen their bond with you.

21 hours ago, derex3592 said:

Got some actual work done today... 

20201107_175437.jpg

Quick thought about those bussard lights, I've been following the videos of a few Trek modelers, and one of them works wonders with something he refers to as "fiber fill", which looks like some kind of fibrous stuffing from cushions of some sort.  He uses it to great effect as a light diffuser.

I don't know how warm the lights you have might get, and I would still do a bit of research about how any sort of filler would react to heat, but I think it would make a great enhancer to the lights there.  What color bulbs are you using?

13 hours ago, MechTech said:

@derex3592 The shuttle looks great! Nice and clean wiring too. Sorry about your paint. I think Arbit might be right. I was thinking the same thing. When I was in England, it seemed like I was always painting in the cold (and wind) and then bringing stuff to dry in the house (in a vacant room). I hope things work out for you!

Slow going on the lighthouse and it needs to be done for the 20th! The spring brushes on the rotor were causing too much resistance for the week pulley (remember, it's there to act as a clutch in case someone nails the plane while it's spinning). Plus the light blinked occasionally. So I machined a new type of brush that will use gravity to hold it against the copper rings.

00000PORTRAIT_00000_BURST20201107153020628.thumb.jpg.44b428652022d8a106c5aeb79c5f5273.jpg

You can see how the brushes will swing on the rotor now.

00000PORTRAIT_00000_BURST20201107192043191.thumb.jpg.88662c043e079832acb7d1f3249508ca.jpg

There will be two rows of brushes, one on either side so that one set will always make contact to eliminate breaks in the circuit.

00000PORTRAIT_00000_BURST20201108151056138.thumb.jpg.be9584eded112c22b02e48743ab571a8.jpg

Then I got the micro connector installed in the wing to "plug" the plane into the swinging arm.

IMG_20201103_165410.jpg

IMG_20201107_210528.jpg

Gotta love them furballs! lol

UPDATE: in a really miserable mood right about now. Main transform joint for the cockpit snapped clean in half, and the legs were looking a bit spindly. Took my frustrations out on the fighter in the form of tearing it all the way back down to components and rebuilding the cockpit joint and the legs. I only have a couple of pics right about now, but I hope to have more later:

104_0085.thumb.JPG.42b4e7d1afff1b0c0ea0ce73bd719c9d.JPG104_0086.thumb.JPG.0e15b47a72c1b3bf6901933c0fc1f932.JPG

Added note: the fighter looks far more purple-red in the photographs than it does IRL. All the red seems to just pop out, while normally, it all looks about purple/red/black when viewed normally, with only a shade or two difference between the colors.

Edited by pengbuzz

11 hours ago, derex3592 said:

Not 30 seconds after I applied the spray primer to the model I knew I was screwed.  It started cracking like shattered glass. Looked kinda cool honestly, wished I taken a picture. I believe what happened is this.  When I airbrushed the Tamiya Primer with the lacquer thinner, it made the resin very cold. It does make the airbrush cold. Something in the thinner, feels cold on your skin as well, I'm not a chemist so I can't tell you why.

Was the black primer enamel?

Putting enamel over lacquer [a mistake I made in my youth] results in almost exactly what you've described... especially if the lacquer wasn't cured...

That sucks... hope you can fix it!

Edited by slide

7 hours ago, derex3592 said:

Dang, apparently we're all havin bad model days today! Sorry to hear that Peng! In other news, I made a floor and a transporter this evening! My first 3D structure made of styrene! 

20201108_210922.jpg

20201108_210928.jpg

Thanks; meantime, really liking what you have here on the Runabout! Some top-notch work on fleshing out the interiror!