Whats Lying on your Workbench MK IV

Urashiman

Love that red and white. I started building the Zeta (red) a few weeks ago, then,  just as I got to the stage it's at, I got the Eta  (blue) in the mail, from Thom on a trade. I was at a pause in the Zeta build as I was contemplating what colour to use for  the panel lines. So instead of figuring it out I stated the Eta. Now I need to figure out what to do about the panel line colour on the red.

Edited by Chas

20200817_193257.jpg.768c6e75f48897d9ed28a60744988247.jpgGonna try out Tamiya's Hull Red. And see what that's like.

Edited by Chas

On 8/13/2020 at 6:45 PM, peter said:

Lol, it couldn't possibly be worse than the AMT 1/537 Enterprise Refit kit, hahahahaha!

This is my second one.  Long story short, I bought my first one years ago and my dad  decided he wanted to build it so I let him have it.  My dad is a casual builder and never got too serious, so he put it together and I have a complete one to look at for reference.  There are definitely gaps in his build, so at least I know what to look for. 

I bought a second one at a model swap meet last year, but sadly, it will probably go into the pile of things to do for a while.  I actually don't have space to display another monster like that so I have to do a little house cleaning and make some space :)

Well, mine was standing in the shopwindow for a while. I saw it there for at least 2 or 3 years. This might be a cause of the terrible quality of the model. It has been there, standing in the sun for ages until someone (me) purchased it.

Even after the putty it looked terrible. I kept it for a year until I decided to destroy it in the Silvester cleanup (for my family that means, sticking fireworks into discarded models and watch them blow up for fun).

I had the TOS Enterprise NCC-1701 from AMT/ERTL. It was a terrible kit, but not as terrible as most of the Revell stuff. Most kits I bought in the 90s were Revell kits, and one would notice that the injection forms were worn out pretty much. Every kit needed putty and heavy sanding. I remember a 1/48 F-15E I've worked on. I kinda got the cockpit and nose right and the mainbody just didn't fit. So much putty and sanding. I looked aweful. So it ended up in a ball of fire after sending it to an attitude of ~50m with two D-Class model rocket motors. That day I decided to never buy Revell stuff again and I am happy with my decision. I broke my promise for an OV-10 Bronco kit, the new Trabant 601 Deluxe GDR car kit (which actually has a really good quality), a recast of the F-19 stealth kit (it just looked so nice) and the 1/144 Su-47 Berkut (which was actually a cast from DRAGOON kits that revell purchased).

I mostly stick with Hasegawa, Tamiya, Academy and Trumpeter now.

The good old space issue. I only have so much space in my vitrine. I usually pic out the worst looking model, put it in bubblewrap, store it in a box with the other kits in my cellar and replace it with a new build. Now, as the kits I purchase are so expensive (macross stuff and so on), they don't end up as fireworks anymore.

Chas - That looks like it would work!

Urashimen - Is the "Silvester cleanup" short for Silvester Stalone?:p I had friends that did that. It's funny at night. I had one friend stick a cherry bomb in a model car. It exploded and then you heard all the parts fall to the ground a second or two later! - MT

33 minutes ago, MechTech said:

Chas - That looks like it would work!

Urashimen - Is the "Silvester cleanup" short for Silvester Stalone?:p I had friends that did that. It's funny at night. I had one friend stick a cherry bomb in a model car. It exploded and then you heard all the parts fall to the ground a second or two later! - MT

Sorry - "Silvester" is the German word for "New Years Eve". Yeah - we did it at night, some hours before new years eve. I remember sticking a normal firework rocket into the revell 1/32 F-104 Star Fighter. It had a removable jet engine, so the rocket was fitting really good in there. The model had rubber tires and the wheels were rolling. So we put it on the street and ignited the rocket. Due to the F-104s messy aerodynamics, especially at a scale of 1/32, there was no lift off. It just raced down the street and then blew up in a glorious fireball. Later we found the lower part of the main body, with the cockpit still sticking to it. The landing gear was still there, but the rubber tires were molten due to the friction. It was awesome.

I still can't believe I was able to breathe some new life into the thing:

IMG_20200813_005159.jpg.42437643e22d1776992e708aa3bd5a2d.jpg

The pylon and the nacelles, lol!  What a mess.

IMG_20200813_005208.jpg.c8e3fc8a3651ae1f5a5ea48bae3c4cab.jpg

Just waiting on a few more decals before weathering.

It looks sort of naked without the Aztecs when next to my most current build, but hopefully the "battle damage" will draw attention away from the fact that I cheaped out and was too lazy to do the Aztecs on it.IMG_20200816_225836.jpg.4bf1594a41dc31040f24dc43d1e3121c.jpg

Edited by peter
Edited for spelling.

I tend to dip in and out of this thread as it depresses me that I cant work on any of my kits as still have no workshop space.....

looks like it wont be any where completed till next year, due to issues with drainage....

but I am always impressed by all the work shown here.

17 hours ago, peter said:

It looks sort of naked without the Aztecs when next to my most current build, but hopefully the "battle damage" will draw attention away from the fact that I cheaped out and was too lazy to do the Aztecs on it.IMG_20200816_225836.jpg.4bf1594a41dc31040f24dc43d1e3121c.jpg

This work is awesome. Just shows that even the most broken of kits can be made to look great, even when you’d think its next journey would be the bin.

17 hours ago, peter said:

I sure hope you display that with some Before pics right beside it.

Urashiman - OK, I REALLY did laugh out loud!!!:lol::lol::lol: That is TOO funny!!! It reminds me of the time my dad and I put a whistling Pete firework on the back of one of our R/C cars, lit it, and watched it go screaming down the street! Pyrotechnics make models better - that's why the cap gun cannon on my ship;)

Peter - That's why your ships make perfect book ends! They won't be close together to compare;) But hey, fireworks are fun too!

Big F - Don't let that stop you! I sometimes build on a TV tray table over my lap on the couch to sit with my family (especially when the TV is boring). One of my first workshops was on top of the laundry machines. Even now, I'll sit on the floor and use the coffee table while everyone watches TV.

F18Legios - That is nice and clean looking! That glossy red color looks perfect! - MT

Yeah that's  neat lookin. What is it?

Finished the Zeta. Pics with and without flash. Now to finish up the Eta.

20200820_164948.jpg

20200820_165007.jpg

20200820_164753.jpg

20200820_164912.jpg

Edited by Chas

25 minutes ago, Chas said:

Yeah that's  neat lookin. What is it?

Finished the Zeta. Pics with and without flash. Now to finish up the Eta.

20200820_164948.jpg

20200820_165007.jpg

20200820_164753.jpg

20200820_164912.jpg

Kind of want a Legioss kit now.  I had one when I was a kid....hand painted that thing into a huge mess....still have it around somewhere.

K'Tingas sitting in a Simple Green bath, decals arrived.

Where are my Strongbacks decals??!?  Ordered them from HDA before the K'Tinga decals, lol!

IMG_20200820_134534.jpg.34becd3126a84a98787d0a1f45ae54e9.jpg

IMG_20200820_142917.jpg.b08e8263c800bd95a2f1c3c2ff036a2a.jpg

Edited by peter

On 8/18/2020 at 11:12 PM, peter said:

I ended up putting mine away after a brief stint today, trying to see if I could resurrect mine. The point where the pylons meet the hull is badly chewed up, i already replaced them once, and the rear of the secondary hull is tilting back slightly. So I don't want to have to replace parts again. Not to mention not having the decals to finish it... just not interested in trying now

Not in a good mood right now anyways. I wonder if i still have a nice, big hammer somewhere for that piece of #$@%....

1 hour ago, pengbuzz said:

I ended up putting mine away after a brief stint today, trying to see if I could resurrect mine. The point where the pylons meet the hull is badly chewed up, i already replaced them once, and the rear of the secondary hull is tilting back slightly. So I don't want to have to replace parts again. Not to mention not having the decals to finish it... just not interested in trying now

Not in a good mood right now anyways. I wonder if i still have a nice, big hammer somewhere for that piece of #$@%....

Lol, you just described the way I felt almost every step of my latest attempt, just wanted to take a hammer to it, or find some fireworks and go to town on it.  

If I had known it would be such a pain in the dick to build, I would have gotten the 1/350 instead, and went straight to Auto Destruct version on the 537.  In the end, it turned out ok and looks reasonable from a distance.  And since I also had my old grade 8 Refits laying around, it was either into the recycle bin, or see if I had the ability to polish a bowl of diarrhea into a turd (the jury is still out on that).

I still want a Polar Lights Refit one day, but will have to arrange space for it.

Decided to get back into weathering, but this time trying out some new products to give me something new to do and learn/practice some new techniques.

Bought some stuff from Mig Jimenez like Oilbrushers, shaders, and a few pigments.

The oilbrushers are especially nice because they're already premixed and there's no mess like with oil paints from a tube where you have to squeeze some out onto a palette or container and mix and then have to do the clean up afterwards. Just unscrew the cap and use the applicator attached to the cap and pop it back in when done.

Started with my Arcadia Ivanov SV-51 as my guinea pig.

I panel lined with a stone grey wash first and then used an metallic aluminum oilbrusher paint thinned with some turpenoid and applied that in the panel lines, heavier in some areas than others like in the show.

sv-51_ep1_1.jpg.52f52bf5e55c90cd7d717f9fd2e4e6b2.jpg

Then I used a medium gray oilbrusher and dotted it around on the wings and legs and such and then stippled it with a small stencil brush and some turpenoid to see how it would look. Then I took my black oilbrusher and dotted that around and did the same. Took some experimentation, but this is what I ended up with.

sv-51_wip1.jpg.451495995e53015ae97b67aff27865a0.jpg

Figured that didn't look too bad so I went ahead and did the rest of the top side including the head, fuselage and nose, but not the tail fins. The effect looked pretty strong so I figured the next step would be to clear coat it and see how it looked. It was still pretty strong with the medium gray color turning the surface gray so I then took a black shader and started spraying with random movements to add more to the mottled look and then toned it all down by spraying general sections to bring it back closer to black.

sv-51_wip2.jpg.52e3759136a04e2cd1b8b98af974f1db.jpg

The gloss coat adding to the reflectivity in addition to the crappy phone camera kind of hides most of the detail, but you can get a general idea of how it went. 

I'll need to do the rear stabilizers and the underside and then transform it and finish with the rest of the currently hidden areas. It's just hard to handle since it's so big and has a number of floppy parts.

After that, I'll add in decals once they arrive and do some post shading and streaking and then do my final clear coat. I'm thinking matte, but I'll start with satin and see how it looks first.

Edited by MacrossJunkie

Lookin' good Chas! I like the color. How did the panel lines come out, it's hard to tell with the shadows in the photo. - MT

That shading looks great Macross Junkie!It looks realistic, especially with all the carbon they would build up in the vertical launch tubes. - MT

12 hours ago, peter said:

Lol, you just described the way I felt almost every step of my latest attempt, just wanted to take a hammer to it, or find some fireworks and go to town on it.  

If I had known it would be such a pain in the dick to build, I would have gotten the 1/350 instead, and went straight to Auto Destruct version on the 537.  In the end, it turned out ok and looks reasonable from a distance.  And since I also had my old grade 8 Refits laying around, it was either into the recycle bin, or see if I had the ability to polish a bowl of diarrhea into a turd (the jury is still out on that).

I still want a Polar Lights Refit one day, but will have to arrange space for it.

Yeah...mine I bought as a "smoothie" and have been trying to rework it since 2010. I can't stand the inaccuracies, so it drives me absolutely nuts until I correct it.  That also means having to find accurate decals as well too.

I really wish round2 would just do a new kit this size, but better accuracy. But I'm betting the money's not there (amongst other issues).

4 hours ago, pengbuzz said:

Yeah...mine I bought as a "smoothie" and have been trying to rework it since 2010. I can't stand the inaccuracies, so it drives me absolutely nuts until I correct it.  That also means having to find accurate decals as well too.

I really wish round2 would just do a new kit this size, but better accuracy. But I'm betting the money's not there (amongst other issues).

Ohhhhhhh.....a smoothie.  I wish I had one of those to start with.

If I don't look at mine too closely, I can live with the inaccuracies, hahahaha!

Thanks MT. After I posted about the XF-9 I realized it is an acylic and I didn't  want to go with trying to do and acylic panel line wash over fruture. I've yet to be able to do that and get satisfactory results, so I mixed up some Light Rust oil with a little bit of Starship Filth.

20200821_131556.jpg.7ac16bef6eb4a694ff772f75ea13d79b.jpg

Hopefully this pick shows it a bit better.

5 hours ago, pengbuzz said:

A new Refit model the same size as the new DiscoEnterprise would be awesome!, The old 1/600 TOS is close, and having a new Refit in the same size range to sit down the line would look great on a shelf.

Chas - That looks great! It makes it pop without hitting you upside the head with dark black panel lines. Great color combo!

Cool Derex! You gonna light it up? - I'm not talking about fireworks guys!;) - MT

Thanks MT. I really try to avoid using straight black on models. Those 'black' stripes are actually painted on with tamiya sea blue.