Whats Lying on your Workbench MK IV

Urashiman

6 hours ago, Gabe Q said:

I had some time to work on the Miria. I'm gonna throw a flat coat on her next and call her done. 

20200815_190801.jpg

That looks really good.  Makes me want to build TV stuff.

Well... We're all finished up here at the Imperial Shipyards. Please remember this was a 1st of many things for me. Deciding to design my own LED 2 light system and make a custom base for AC power, not batteries. Also first time trying out a new painting technique. Anyways, it's not perfect around the back, but the front, top, bottom and sides look damn good IMHO. The engines themselves look great, but the poor fit of the kit around the engine block was my problem. I might try to shove some old kit parts or grey styrene strips in there but I dunno. Enjoy the pics! 

20200816_112723.jpg

20200816_113045.jpg

20200816_113057.jpg

20200816_113109.jpg

20200816_113156.jpg

20200816_113303.jpg

20200816_113428.jpg

20200816_113527.jpg

20200816_114028.jpg

20200816_114133.jpg

Gabe - You are raising the bar! That's looking great!

Derex - I have a sudden phobia of tractor beams and villains with light sabers! Not something I'd like to meet down a dark cosmic alleyway! The lighting is realistic and brings it to life! If it wasn't for all the other stuff in the photos, I would think that was a huge model! Time to jump away from that at light speed!

Arbit - That hatch is AWESOME man! You just need a whiny kids voice asking for a soda now! That's cool!

Regarding paint stripping, I posted a new "how to" in the models section for some good stuff here:

So my original gun housing got ripped a new one - literally! Long story short, it couldn't be repaired so I had to vacu-form a new one and redo the doors. This time I got to add the hinge details in there. Still a few small details to go around the doors.

0816201440a.jpg.59a28c70c725d9deb7c34cec1f340dd7.jpg

The front grill took nine tries to get it right! Cutting those two stupid slots was a pain! A needle was then used in a drill press to "press-out" some bolt patterns around it.

0812201855a.jpg.bbcdb022b9fb12e72299baf093f28c62.jpg

0812201902a.jpg.2585e434110fcc1ac2be5bfa1c228879.jpg

0816201431a.jpg.e9aa3b056875eb2d660d41e502fcbdf4.jpg

0816201429a.jpg.af6fcac8e72f9ff820e57f47b36c9f87.jpg

0816201430a.jpg.252b7919aeb2806f0cae6d967ce3a983.jpgThen I added in the "Belly button" thing in the back. Not sure what it is, but it's on the real gun so it's here too. - MT

Edited by MechTech

17 hours ago, Gabe Q said:

I had some time to work on the Miria. I'm gonna throw a flat coat on her next and call her done. 

What shade of red is that?  I'm very picky about her shade of red, and I like that one.  (Or at least, how it looks on my PC monitor...) 

Just now, David Hingtgen said:

What shade of red is that?  I'm very picky about her shade of red, and I like that one.  (Or at least, how it looks on my PC monitor...) 

It's Tamiya Red X-7 painted over the dark grey plastic of the armor. It doesn't quite match the pieces that I painted over the white plastic.

I'll post pictures when I'm done and you'll see a slight difference in the red between the armor and the valk.

Derex, looks great. More pictures welcomed.

But what is wrong with the engine? I don't see it. Did it not close fully due to your customization? I always have to trim stuff to make my additions fit. That's the fun part for me. I actually don't enjoy modeling, I just enjoy tearing it up!

3 hours ago, Gabe Q said:

It's Tamiya Red X-7 painted over the dark grey plastic of the armor. It doesn't quite match the pieces that I painted over the white plastic.

I'll post pictures when I'm done and you'll see a slight difference in the red between the armor and the valk.

I think that would actually lend credibility to it, as in real life, paint doesn't always exactly match on craft even on the fuselage.

32 minutes ago, arbit said:

Derex, looks great. More pictures welcomed.

But what is wrong with the engine? I don't see it. Did it not close fully due to your customization? I always have to trim stuff to make my additions fit. That's the fun part for me. I actually don't enjoy modeling, I just enjoy tearing it up!

I'll try to get some better pics later tonight after dark. It's really hard to get a good pic of the thing with the lights on with my phone, I don't have a prof camera setup. I checked the engine block like 3 dozen times with my mod and everything was fine on the bottom part, It was when I tried to snap the top hull down that things got off. I trimmed off all the aligning pegs and then glued the top hull to the bottom. The sides closed up nicely, the back just didn't. It's not a perfect kit, maybe if you build it with Bandai's light kit it would be better, but I think their method was stupid with a huge battery pack you have to take the model apart for every time you want to turn it on. The main issue with the bigger gap on the right side of the engine block is there is no little triangle shaped wall piece on that side molded in like there is on the left. I guess Lucasfilm didn't have it so Bandai didn't to it either, which sucks. Whatever, I learned a lot, the model looks great at a glance, if I had it to do over, yeh, I wouldn't light it. just build it normal and call it a day. 

26 minutes ago, derex3592 said:

Whatever, I learned a lot, the model looks great at a glance, if I had it to do over, yeh, I wouldn't light it. just build it normal and call it a day. 

Naah man, it looks awesome. That thing NEEDS to be lit.

8 hours ago, derex3592 said:

Well... We're all finished up here at the Imperial Shipyards. Please remember this was a 1st of many things for me. Deciding to design my own LED 2 light system and make a custom base for AC power, not batteries. Also first time trying out a new painting technique. Anyways, it's not perfect around the back, but the front, top, bottom and sides look damn good IMHO. The engines themselves look great, but the poor fit of the kit around the engine block was my problem. I might try to shove some old kit parts or grey styrene strips in there but I dunno. Enjoy the pics! 

20200816_112723.jpg

20200816_113156.jpg

It is an outstanding bit of work there, good sir! As for the ill-fit, thin styrene wedged into there will probably be your best, easiest, fix.

7 hours ago, arbit said:

This is something I was planning for a long time, but have not been able to get on it for various reasons.

Hope you like it!

Arbit, you bring that scene to life! The only way it could have been better, is if the vending machine was circling like a predator for the kid's attention!:D

6 hours ago, MechTech said:

0816201431a.jpg.e9aa3b056875eb2d660d41e502fcbdf4.jpg

0816201429a.jpg.af6fcac8e72f9ff820e57f47b36c9f87.jpg

0816201430a.jpg.252b7919aeb2806f0cae6d967ce3a983.jpgThen I added in the "Belly button" thing in the back. Not sure what it is, but it's on the real gun so it's here too. - MT

And some top-notch work on that gun! Howie Gee Wizz! And it fires, right?!:o

Wow @derex3592 your SD looks fantastic!!!  I just received the Greenstrawberry resin engine and photoetched upgrade parts for this kit and if I don't go back to work, it will be my next build (if I ever finish my F-14) - you're inspiring!  The upgrade is pretty crazy, they included separate antennas for the little pointy tips for the shield generators - don't know if I can get that small.  Congrats on a beautiful build!  BTW I'm curious about that bowing your talking about and the light leaks and not fitting - could you point me to any threads about that and if there's anyway of mitigating this problem if you were to do it over again?

@MechTech your scratch builds are just astounding to me.  You are the opposite of me, I hate the building and will pay through the nose to get all the upgrades and the most detailed kit just so I don't have to make stuff up so I can get to my favourite part which is painting and decaling.  I can't even imagine what you do, but I love the real metal materials.  Can't wait to see it finished.

@Gabe Q those packs are looking great, can't wait to see them on the birds! 

14 hours ago, Thom said:

Arbit, you bring that scene to life! The only way it could have been better, is if the vending machine was circling like a predator for the kid's attention!:D

Good idea. We can build an RC 1/ 6 scale Macross Cola machine.  Who's up for a group build?

Edited by arbit

4 minutes ago, derex3592 said:

Thanks! My whole office is basically another model/toy display space away from my house..LOL. My bosses are cool like that though. 

In my business field they are not cool about these things. I was working on a project once, and the hiring guy asked me, "what's this toys thing we found you are involved with online? Our client needs to know of any of your business activities." I was soooo pissed. Nearly blew my cap off. "It's a hobby [a..hole] nothing to do with my work." Still infuriates me to this day. 

1 hour ago, arbit said:

In my business field they are not cool about these things. I was working on a project once, and the hiring guy asked me, "what's this toys thing we found you are involved with online? Our client needs to know of any of your business activities." I was soooo pissed. Nearly blew my cap off. "It's a hobby [a..hole] nothing to do with my work." Still infuriates me to this day. 

F that.  I had an employer question why I am vegetarian. He seemed to think it would affect what I did at work. I didnt stay. He was a total prat anyway, the company has now folded, largely due to his management. I think if I had mentioned I make models and  other similar skill set hobbies, I would have left sooner. He’d already made it clear he didnt like classic VW’s which I do so his card was marked already.

I feel for anyone who's employers seem to think that your private life is somehow theirs.

Thom - Thank you very much! Yes, it fires plastic strip caps. I'll post video when I get a chance to get it all together.

WMChaneg - Thank you very much! I like making something out of nothing (in models - not life :lol:) Funny thing is I used to be a "styrene purist." No metals, just plastic. When I started machining stuff, the styrene doesn't hold up to some loads and heat when a blade is applied. But metals are just that much cooler to add into some projects, especially to add strength.

Derex - That looks great with your movie posters in your office! It's a nice personal touch! I do too much on my desk to have anything nice on it!

Arbit - That is definitely jacked up! Let's see, you either have decent hobbies in your spare time, or you're a crack head and an alcoholic. Dah! You pick the guy with decent hobbies!

Big F - "He’d already made it clear he didn't like classic VW’s which I do so his card was marked already." That's funny! We had two growing up as a kid, so I suppose my family is alright with you:lol:. That is messed up though. You don't judge a person by what they eat. If they're looking anorexic and about to pass out, then maybe you ask if they ate something at least. Not, "Do you prefer beef or beans?"

Chas - The Legios are lookin' good! - MT

@derex3592 Your office looks like it doesn't have much room for much else now! Then again, it belongs at work because building that thing must have felt like a full time job! It has a commanding presence. 

@Chas Your pair of Legioss (Legi-ii???) are looking great. That finishing stretch always feels great. I try to avoid building multiples of a kit at once. I tend to get overwhelmed and put the project back on the shelf.