Whats Lying on your Workbench MK IV

Urashiman

:(  I never knew how much they went up (never kept track).  You never said find a cheap one :P

The only Frontier Hasegawa I have was their VF-31A Kairos.

8 hours ago, NZEOD said:

https://www.rocketpunch.biz/wip-hasegawa-vf1s-5/

Not mine but I'm doing this after seeing it!

Ah, it's the splinter camouflage that got you! Nice site.

Question for you aeronautics guys, if I were to make a vf-1 with open wing flaps, what would be the correct position for ascending (and look cool at the same time)?

Edited by arbit

Full flaps extension if landing gear is lowered and you are heading for a carrier trap. This would be on the downwind leg of the landing circuit (ie… travelling in the opposite direction to the carrier). Based on the settings for an F/A-18.

http://krepelka.com/fsweb/learningcenter/aircraft/flightnotesboeingfa18hornet.htm

Notice in the photos below the ailerons are also acting as flaps and are down (flaperons) and the leading edges are extended and down to maximise low speed lift.

1257469176344238921cpdjca-md.png

US_Navy_051202-N-3488C-026_An_F-A-18C_Ho

HFE1F6.jpg

HFC81X.jpg

HFE14Y.jpg

Edited by NZEOD

3 minutes ago, NZEOD said:

Full flaps extension and speed brake if landing gear is lowered and you are heading for a carrier trap. This would be on the final leg of the landing circuit. Based on the settings for an F/A-18.

http://krepelka.com/fsweb/learningcenter/aircraft/flightnotesboeingfa18hornet.htm

I'm thinking gears up, but accurate open positions for the flaps.

1 hour ago, arbit said:

I'm thinking gears up, but accurate open positions for the flaps.

flaps would only come down to full when the gear does, so maybe half flaps during a descent before gear down?

3 hours ago, wm cheng said:

:(  I never knew how much they went up (never kept track).  You never said find a cheap one :P

The only Frontier Hasegawa I have was their VF-31A Kairos.

Im paying for it so cheap is best... I just need one LOCATED.

2 hours ago, NZEOD said:

flaps would only come down to full when the gear does, so maybe half flaps during a descent before gear down?

Cool. they never come down during an ascent? I guess in a valk, the feet thrusters substitute the tail wings.

In many dioramas, they have the flaps up and down, which doesn't look right... maybe that's repair position?

Edited by arbit

23 minutes ago, arbit said:

Cool. they never come down during an ascent? I guess in a valk, the feet thrusters substitute the tail wings.

In many dioramas, they have the flaps up and down, which doesn't look right... maybe that's repair position?

I think maybe you're confusing the flaps, with "other bits that can move".  It might help to circle exactly what you mean?   

The only time the flaps would be down when climbing, would be immediately after takeoff, while still slow but accelerating. In a fighter jet, this would only last a few secs.  (and they'd only be down a little)

15 minutes ago, David Hingtgen said:

I think maybe you're confusing the flaps, with "other bits that can move".  It might help to circle exactly what you mean?   

The only time the flaps would be down when climbing, would be immediately after takeoff, while still slow but accelerating. In a fighter jet, this would only last a few secs.  (and they'd only be down a little)

Here's a good example, not mine.

There are all kinds of flaps there in repair positions: Leading edge (down), outboard flaps (up), inboard flaps (up), and ailerons (down).

So if I wanted to have a wheels up configuration at any point in flight, with as many of those displayed open accurately, what could I do?

I;m ignoring other real-world flaps that are not in this model.

MModelers2019_02.jpg.6412a78bfae94d2d98b46f3e6ece128e.jpg

Edited by arbit

Those are split flaps. I'm going to assume from the rear you'd see them split in two with red painted between and the other half down. They are using them as speed brakes/dive brakes. I'd have to check the master file on if this was ever the intent.

Cool diorama too but... not enough tiedowns on that plane. Should be two to 4 more on the nose gear or main gear. Only bugs me because I'm doing a similar diorama with a vf4

Edited by NZEOD

Pengbuzz - That's a nice score!

Arbit - Like David said, there's not much in the way of flaps down on takeoff. It's not a VF-1, but the next best thing... Flaps are usually for slower flight or landings (fully extended). That Valk diorama looks cool with the spoilers up. I don't think I've seen that before. Also go to Navy.mil (like I did) and under "Media" check out photos. Do a search like landing or takeoff. There are videos out there too. - MT050916-N-0295M-138.jpg

1 hour ago, arbit said:

Untitled.png.873ee88f9742304dcf7143e890e6e5a9.pngTiedown heaven.

I have a bunch of PE intricate 1/72 tiedowns and another Italeri carrier deck I'm working on at the moment...

6 hours ago, arbit said:

Here's a good example, not mine.

There are all kinds of flaps there in repair positions: Leading edge (down), outboard flaps (up), inboard flaps (up), and ailerons (down).

So if I wanted to have a wheels up configuration at any point in flight, with as many of those displayed open accurately, what could I do?

I;m ignoring other real-world flaps that are not in this model.

MModelers2019_02.jpg.6412a78bfae94d2d98b46f3e6ece128e.jpg

LOVE that build!!! looks like 1/48

UPDATE: Some work on the Defender 1/72 (Matchbox/Playmates)...

What I started with:                                                          Where I am now:

1089286391_100_09641.JPG.52a7631dc7b1d869b4923b890b3eb195.JPG           279972278_100_09811.JPG.750fffa56e9dd7f22208fc17be9a4802.JPG

Stay tuned...

Those aren't "split flaps", split flaps are something totally different.  (and similar to zap flaps).  

The VF-1 has no ailerons, same as the F-14.  The VF-1 wing and F-14 wing are quite similar, though the VF-1 actually has more complex flaps, flat-out airliner-esque.

Leading edge has SLATS, no flaps there.  Moves downward only, and must extend laterally to move down.  (F-16's and F-18's have flaps there, can move down AND up and pivot to do so, no lateral extension)

Trailing edge has slotted fowler flaps, rare for a fighter jet but usually seen on airliners.  Much like the slats, downward-only, also has lateral movement, but an even more complex and effective system than the slats.  Inboards are doubled-slotted, outboards are single-slotted. (F-14's are single-slotted all the way across) 

Immediately ahead of the flaps, are the spoilers. I don't think I've seen anything canonically showing them, but it's very logical to have them, based on the F-14 and the details we can see.  Effectively upwards-only on most planes, but on the F-14 they can depress downwards by a few degrees when the flaps are out to close up the gap/reprofile the upper surface. When they're all up (both wings) they're basically speed brakes. When they're up on only one wing, they're for roll control, replacing the ailerons.  

8 hours ago, pengbuzz said:

UPDATE: Some work on the Defender 1/72 (Matchbox/Playmates)...

What I started with:                                                          Where I am now:

1089286391_100_09641.JPG.52a7631dc7b1d869b4923b890b3eb195.JPG           279972278_100_09811.JPG.750fffa56e9dd7f22208fc17be9a4802.JPG

Stay tuned...

The changes made to the chest are done really well. Are you using putty to reshape the chest area?

11 hours ago, nightmareB4macross said:

The changes made to the chest are done really well. Are you using putty to reshape the chest area?

Thanks! :) and no; I am simply sanding them down and filling whatever voids that are left with plastic welder (epoxy). There's a lot of plastic there, which allows for most of what I need to do. Aside from the boxiness and being slightly out of scale, it's not too bad (although I did have to cut the sides off and remove about 1/8" of material):

146398795_100_09781.JPG.c2001de237a666348568c91dad9e2818.JPG

when I first got this a few days ago, it didn't even have the radar blade at top; that I scratched up from a couple of planks of thick styrene and simply glued to the post (after consulting the design drawings at Macross Mecha Manual:

destroid-defender-schematics.gif

pic courtesy of Macross Mecha Manual.

(http://www.macross2.net/m3/sdfmacross/destroid-defender/destroid-defender-schematics.gif)

Here's wherre the project is as of today;

576052234_100_09851.JPG.28af76054d9a80e64f7ccf7393fc597c.JPG

The light makes it look a bit more yellow than it actually is; it's kind of an olive drab instead of the khaki the painting instructions I found for the old 1/72 scale model suggested. But I guess they come in all sorts of colors from what I've seen. i just need to build the sensor eye and the ammo boxes for the shoulders now and I should be good to go.

Edited by pengbuzz

Pengbuzz - That Defender is looking great! It must be "fun" working in ABS. I think I have that same toy holed away somewhere in my stash. - MT

2 hours ago, MechTech said:

Pengbuzz - That Defender is looking great! It must be "fun" working in ABS. I think I have that same toy holed away somewhere in my stash. - MT

Yeah, it's "fun" all right; considering I'm using nothing more than an xacto knife and a sanding block with 80 grit in it to work this, it keeps "the joys of Carpal Tunnel Syndrome" firmly in mind. But that said: at least the plastic is holding up well to the mods! :D

That's cool. I hear you about carpal tunnel. Right hand is healed, may need to go in for work on the other.

ABS doesn't like to sand smooth like styrene. It gets "hairy." Sometimes acetone can give it a nice surface afterwards like 3D printers use to clean up bias marks on their prints. I started building a model in ABS and that was the only model I ever sold "halfway" done. The cements for it are toxic and then there's the whole sanding thing... - MT

WOOHOOO!!! Found a reasonably priced 1/72 VF-31E Chuck version! The collection is complete and added to the pile of shame

Edited by NZEOD

4 hours ago, MechTech said:

That's cool. I hear you about carpal tunnel. Right hand is healed, may need to go in for work on the other.

ABS doesn't like to sand smooth like styrene. It gets "hairy." Sometimes acetone can give it a nice surface afterwards like 3D printers use to clean up bias marks on their prints. I started building a model in ABS and that was the only model I ever sold "halfway" done. The cements for it are toxic and then there's the whole sanding thing... - MT

I'd say "fuzzy", but yeah---working with ABS sucks.  Doesn't sand nicely, doesn't glue nicely.  It'll paint nicely, but really likes its "shape/structure" left alone.  

4 hours ago, MechTech said:

Yeah; they offered me surgery, but after hearing about the "bowstringing" effect it can have, I declined.

42 minutes ago, David Hingtgen said:

I'd say "fuzzy", but yeah---working with ABS sucks.  Doesn't sand nicely, doesn't glue nicely.  It'll paint nicely, but really likes its "shape/structure" left alone.  

As far as sanding goes, I found hitting it with 0000 steel wool works. As for gluing, I use Devcon Plastic Welder, which sticks pretty well.

Shaping it: I wait until i'm in a really rotten mood, then sand the living daylights out of it, white threatening it:

"Listen, you heaven-forsaken piece of crap: you give me ANY trouble and so help me I have a microwave with YOUR NAME all over it!!!"

(Usually works :D )

Congrats NZEOD! It's cool when you can track something down  -especially when it doesn't cost an arm and a leg!

Pengbuzz - That's funny about sanding! Concerning surgery, bow stringing effect? That's a new one on me.

Electric Indigo - You are totally right! Add air bubbles for more fun! - MT

9 hours ago, MechTech said:

Pengbuzz - That's funny about sanding! Concerning surgery, bow stringing effect? That's a new one on me.

With the surgery they wanted to do on my hand, they were going to split the ligament holding down the tendons in the wrist (Carpal Tunnel Release surgery). that would loosen then and stop the sticking so much, but they would also lose tension and be a bit slacker:

https://www.jprasurg.com/article/S1748-6815(13)00218-0/pdf

On 5/26/2020 at 7:37 PM, wm cheng said:

Look for this package... yeah... its packed full of bubble wrap with a tiny canopy inside. 

20200531_140106.jpg

Good to see MW members helping one another out! :D We have an awesome fandom indeed!

Speaking of destroids...

UPDATE: I'm just goign to call this one "done":

1886386123_100_09891.JPG.d497100dbbfae72eee298beb0a811637.JPG  1901071826_100_09901.JPG.03184df28bb6e06d65ae935d6d7ae165.JPG

I weathered this one like I would a tank: with some subtle "oil dot filters" and varying shades on the hull. Also dd a couple of heavy oil sludge washes, and some heavy drybrushing. i wanted this to look like it had seen some hard service aboard the SDF-1. It now graces a spot in the maintenence hangar:

1983035601_100_09961.JPG.a212ce0356044c90963e90f9fe1bcd73.JPG

And that's a wrap! Next project: figuring out what's for dinner....