Whats Lying on your Workbench MK IV

Urashiman

Got the russian rust bucket into the painting stage. I tried pre-shading with black this time, which took some time, but looking back I think I could have skipped that step.

49731841672_0a34957ec4_c.jpg

Next was a uniform layer of light sea grey as a "dirt" base.

49730972443_fd9a2128a5_c.jpg

Then the "artistic part: With a 2:1 mix of light blue and white, thinned 1:1, I basically filled the surface with a slightly cloudy hatching pattern panel by panel.

49731841832_2453b000d2_c.jpg

I try to change direction and intensity from area to area to avoid a uniform look. Working distance is 1 - 0.5 cm to the surface.

Using gloss white for the mix, you get a nice specularity effect as a bonus:

49730972618_dd59bb2a55_c.jpg

UPDATE: okay folks, got quite a bit more work done:

100_0908.thumb.JPG.1eeacbaefe532292f4fae0032c077db2.JPG  100_0909.thumb.JPG.c6608e0fe670ec5d39143da82591ddaf.JPG  100_0907.thumb.JPG.b9d1d1108057b762cbde263ec677ca8a.JPG

100_0910.thumb.JPG.ed0a6ac17ad99a95a8c85a07ae29ad9a.JPG  100_0911.thumb.JPG.c11d332ae01a9e6a43dc584a04985cda.JPG

Got the bird mounted to the launch arm, and mounted the weapons to the wings. Had to do a little rework on the reaction missiles (had big gaping holes in the tops!), but it's all good. I just need a few details here and there, including the arms that hold the valkyrie in place.

Stay tuned...

Nice to see you're all so active while staying at home.

As for me, I have been prescribed a stress ball to deal with my finger problems. I'm supposed to dig my nails into it for 5 minutes three times a day. Apparently it is not arthritis, but something degenerative which physio will likely clear up.

I mention this because doctor says it may be caused by our hobby work, so get yourselves a stress ball.  

And I wanted to share this tasty morsel new on youtube. Don't miss the chase camera crash collision :)

Edited by arbit

That is flat out gorgeous.. I hope I can get any of my set looking that good!  

I'm tempted to pick up more of those, honestly.  I've got the main three for a trench run, but would love to branch out and do a couple more schemes from the EU.

Of course.. I should probably take the time to finish the other dozen X-Wings I have stashed away.. I probably have at least six of the original MPC mold, plus the larger AMT electronic version, as well as two Fine Molds 1/48s, and four of the Bandai 1/72s.  With all the advances in the newer kits, I can probably use them for reference to make some huge improvements to the older ones.

Edited by Chronocidal

4 hours ago, Chronocidal said:

That is flat out gorgeous.. I hope I can get any of my set looking that good!  

I'm tempted to pick up more of those, honestly.  I've got the main three for a trench run, but would love to branch out and do a couple more schemes from the EU.

Of course.. I should probably take the time to finish the other dozen X-Wings I have stashed away.. I probably have at least six of the original MPC mold, plus the larger AMT electronic version, as well as two Fine Molds 1/48s, and four of the Bandai 1/72s.  With all the advances in the newer kits, I can probably use them for reference to make some huge improvements to the older ones.

Thanks!! I want to build the 6 models made for the first movie, all in 1/48. I all ready have Red 3 build from a 1/48 Fine Molds,  and other 2 Bandai 1/48. Red 5 Will be next. It's the same with Macross, I want the main valks from the TV in 1/48!!!!

Edited by joscasle

I swear.... This is the kind of sh*t that just happens to me. Overnight in the garage, I left the freshly clear coated engineering section to dry overnight. Come back this morning to some kind of wrinkled up clear coat and paint. What the actual F*Ck?! I've never seen THAT before. Temp change??? It was unseasonably cool last night here. I got no other explanation. Saucer is fine, but it was inside thank God. I've sanded off the bad bits. Back to the paint bench today. FML. 

20200405_101515.jpg

5 minutes ago, derex3592 said:

I swear.... This is the kind of sh*t that just happens to me. Overnight in the garage, I left the freshly clear coated engineering section to dry overnight. Come back this morning to some kind of wrinkled up clear coat and paint. What the actual F*Ck?! I've never seen THAT before. Temp change??? It was unseasonably cool last night here. I got no other explanation. Saucer is fine, but it was inside thank God. I've sanded off the bad bits. Back to the paint bench today. FML. 

We feel you. you're not alone.

10 hours ago, joscasle said:

Some advances wit my Bandai 1/48 X-Wing (Red 4)

Very nice paint and damage progress.  I've had my eye on that kit, but for the opposite reason to you: motorized wings!!! 

On 4/4/2020 at 12:01 PM, Bolt said:

Making some progress.. I'm lucky enough to still be working. Not sure how long it's going to last , so pulling long days..

Bolt, nice scheme there. I assume that's the v2? How are the retractable wheels and other gimmicks?

On 4/3/2020 at 9:15 PM, electric indigo said:

Got the russian rust bucket into the painting stage. I tried pre-shading with black this time, which took some time, but looking back I think I could have skipped that step.

Nice to see a step-by-step from you. The pre-shading looks nice to me, unless you were aiming for a clean new look.

25 minutes ago, arbit said:

Bolt, nice scheme there. I assume that's the v2? How are the retractable wheels and other gimmicks?

Hey @arbit i hope you're doing good.  It's the V1. I'm waiting on my V2 in the mail still. Hope it arrives soon..

1 hour ago, derex3592 said:

20200405_101515.jpg

Wow, that's terrible! There's a million things that can go wrong when painting. Hope it didn't set you back too much!

2 hours ago, derex3592 said:

20200405_101515.jpg

Wow man...that royally sucks! Yeah, it looks like the outer coat contracted and split as it was drying; a cool night and the item having been just painted would probably do that.

I'm thankful on your behalf that it was in an area that you could sand and repaint without losing details!

On 4/4/2020 at 3:58 PM, arbit said:

Nice to see you're all so active while staying at home.

As for me, I have been prescribed a stress ball to deal with my finger problems. I'm supposed to dig my nails into it for 5 minutes three times a day. Apparently it is not arthritis, but something degenerative which physio will likely clear up.

I mention this because doctor says it may be caused by our hobby work, so get yourselves a stress ball.  

And I wanted to share this tasty morsel new on youtube. Don't miss the chase camera crash collision :)

I have the start of a degenerative issue with my hands, probably brought on by engineering and modelling, with a heavy dose of 20 plus years of IT for a job.

That said im not intending to change my life as the doctors suggested. 

A flying VF 1 is on my list of things I need in my life.

Pengbuzz, great scratch building details! That dio looks great too!

Bolt, that hex pattern is looking nice n clean! That is going to look smooth.

Derex, that sucks about your paint. Hopefully you can recover. I've lived places that where the weather was too cold or too humid. I got through it by painting outside (rattle can) and then leaving it in a closet or empty room in the house. That way it's inside, but not stinking up the house. Got an spare room/closet?

Arbit, I'm glad your hand is fixable. The human body is pretty much "use it or lose it" for everything. So I'm surprised our hobby is not considered good on the hands keeping them moving. Thanks for posting the video too!

Joscasle, The chipping on that X-wing looks great! Its looking like it took some "hits."

It is nowhere near complete yet, but attached are some views of the parts I have been building. This is the guts in my ships cannon that will fire-off cap strips. The core is a geared motor with a sleeve that fits over it with a helix around it. The motor started slipping so I had to make a brass cross piece to lock it in. That spins inside the frame you see. It still needs refining. The helix also has a tab that engages the flower looking piece which feeds the cap strip through the chute where a bolt cocked by the helix strikes it. Still got a way to go to make everything function smoothly. The chute is styrene so technically its still a model;) - MT

0405201902.jpg

0405201901b.jpg

0405201859c.jpg

0405201859a.jpg

0326201711a.jpg

Top came out very good. I had 1 boo boo on the bottom but that was my fault.

FUN FACT! Did you know that with enough Micro Sol, your Perfect Plastic Putty EVEN UNDER a primer coat or 3, 3 paint coats and a clearcoat WILL soften and crumble making your saucer rim look like complete sh*t again?!!!!  I love and hate this hobby so much... LOL! Nothing a little sanding and touch up paint won't fix but still.. FML. 

20200406_065926.jpg

20200406_065937.jpg

3 hours ago, derex3592 said:

Top came out very good. I had 1 boo boo on the bottom but that was my fault.

FUN FACT! Did you know that with enough Micro Sol, your Perfect Plastic Putty EVEN UNDER a primer coat or 3, 3 paint coats and a clearcoat WILL soften and crumble making your saucer rim look like complete sh*t again?!!!!  I love and hate this hobby so much... LOL! Nothing a little sanding and touch up paint won't fix but still.. FML. 

20200406_065926.jpg

20200406_065937.jpg

Yeah, I've been there Derex. Is there any chance you could use a color printer and a sheet of clear decal film to make a new decal?

16 hours ago, MechTech said:

Pengbuzz, great scratch building details! That dio looks great too!

Bolt, that hex pattern is looking nice n clean! That is going to look smooth.

Derex, that sucks about your paint. Hopefully you can recover. I've lived places that where the weather was too cold or too humid. I got through it by painting outside (rattle can) and then leaving it in a closet or empty room in the house. That way it's inside, but not stinking up the house. Got an spare room/closet?

Arbit, I'm glad your hand is fixable. The human body is pretty much "use it or lose it" for everything. So I'm surprised our hobby is not considered good on the hands keeping them moving. Thanks for posting the video too!

Joscasle, The chipping on that X-wing looks great! Its looking like it took some "hits."

It is nowhere near complete yet, but attached are some views of the parts I have been building. This is the guts in my ships cannon that will fire-off cap strips. The core is a geared motor with a sleeve that fits over it with a helix around it. The motor started slipping so I had to make a brass cross piece to lock it in. That spins inside the frame you see. It still needs refining. The helix also has a tab that engages the flower looking piece which feeds the cap strip through the chute where a bolt cocked by the helix strikes it. Still got a way to go to make everything function smoothly. The chute is styrene so technically its still a model;) - MT

0405201902.jpg

0405201901b.jpg

0405201859c.jpg

0405201859a.jpg

0326201711a.jpg

Thanks! Meantime, I gotta hand it to you for making the world's most professional capgun system! lol Seriously though, it looks like you've got quite the system going there. GOing to be very interested to see it in operation when completed.

34 minutes ago, pengbuzz said:

Yeah, I've been there Derex. Is there any chance you could use a color printer and a sheet of clear decal film to make a new decal?

No. Just No. I'm getting Trekked out.  These kits are a real battle.  I'm ready to finish these up and get back to my Star Destroyer and other projects that have been languishing for some years now...

17 hours ago, MechTech said:

Congrats on developing your own steam punk design. Looks beautiful.

Reminds me of when we used to buy tons of cheap Chinese fireworks as kids during summer. It's a miracle we never hurt ourselves. I'm sure that's all illegal now.

53 minutes ago, derex3592 said:

No. Just No. I'm getting Trekked out.  These kits are a real battle.  I'm ready to finish these up and get back to my Star Destroyer and other projects that have been languishing for some years now...

I'll say it flat out, one of my favorite things about Star Wars kits is that they generally don't need decals at all.  I much prefer just masking and painting all the markings.

Edited by Chronocidal

Thank you guys, I appreciate it!

Yes, decals are evil!!! That's why i try to avoid them too! My Dougram kits took almost as long to decal as to build! - MT

See I don't fear water slide decals at all. , I've gotten pretty good over the years. It's just these that are made to wrap around 3 dimensional shapes and conform down into recesses. It's stupid.  On flat surfaces or just over panel lines they are great.  I'll quite complaining now!