Whats Lying on your Workbench MK IV

Urashiman

Currently running a Qidi X-Max, but also have an UP! Plus 2, similar to UN MARINE's, which is what he printed his SD SDF-1 with.  They're both very capable printers.  

What you run into is that while the software and hardware can make very smooth shapes, any time the print head has to jump around to make details, it will leave ripples in the material, just due to natural vibrations in the machine.  You can reduce this if you finely tune the speed of the printer head, but it also greatly increases the length of time of the print.

8 hours ago, Chronocidal said:

Currently running a Qidi X-Max, but also have an UP! Plus 2, similar to UN MARINE's, which is what he printed his SD SDF-1 with.  They're both very capable printers.  

What you run into is that while the software and hardware can make very smooth shapes, any time the print head has to jump around to make details, it will leave ripples in the material, just due to natural vibrations in the machine.  You can reduce this if you finely tune the speed of the printer head, but it also greatly increases the length of time of the print.

Haven’t heard of those actually, I have Prusa MK3S, been pretty happy with the prints so far. I was surprised how fine a finish I can get with it.  You’re right about how much tweaking can be required, but it’s been so much fun designing and printing various things. 

Vibrations really have to do with the stiffness of the machine. Belt-drives will vibrate more than acme lead screws, and the frame stiffness plays a huge role, alongside how much play there is in the linear bearings.

It's quite possible to make a printer that has next to no vibrations, but it requires using costlier (usually tight tolerance/high precision) components.

Salamander, Nice start on the diorama. I'm actually doing something similar to scratch build Hagrid's Hut with my daughter. This is a practice run before we do it again with better materials.

20190927_132922.thumb.jpg.62c59cc66f8cb412550606e38e918da9.jpg

I've made some progress with my gear set up for the 1/72 Flight Deck. I put a detailed tutorial on my Model Kits Thread.

1300781721_2019-09-2315_02_21.thumb.jpg.1b5f858b89b4454e001f4c1745b41888.jpg

1868624697_2019-09-2319_24_23.thumb.jpg.fc4a9e361677c42f2e8d79f36f814498.jpg

5 hours ago, nightmareB4macross said:

Soon to be on the work bench!

8C8CCE56-44E3-49E0-8D46-37D791D35A53.jpeg

Quoted for sheer beauty.  They look amazing!

I'm working on a similar printing project of my own, so I'm curious, did you need to do any major sanding/polishing on the prints beyond what the printer did, or were you able to smooth them out with coats of primer?  Or both?

Edited by Chronocidal

10 hours ago, Mazinger said:

@nightmareB4macross Did you print those yourself or order them from the dude in South America or ?

From the dude in South America.

He’s a really nice guy!

These are on route and scheduled to arrive Oct 3.

The wait is killing me.

8 hours ago, Chronocidal said:

Quoted for sheer beauty.  They look amazing!

I'm working on a similar printing project of my own, so I'm curious, did you need to do any major sanding/polishing on the prints beyond what the printer did, or were you able to smooth them out with coats of primer?  Or both?

Thank you.

I’ve done none of the work described above.

After being printed he did all the work to sand and smooth out the printed vessels.

Once I get these, I’ll put up more pictures when they arrive.

16 hours ago, arbit said:

Salamander, Nice start on the diorama. I'm actually doing something similar to scratch build Hagrid's Hut with my daughter. This is a practice run before we do it again with better materials.

20190927_132922.thumb.jpg.62c59cc66f8cb412550606e38e918da9.jpg

I've made some progress with my gear set up for the 1/72 Flight Deck. I put a detailed tutorial on my Model Kits Thread.

1300781721_2019-09-2315_02_21.thumb.jpg.1b5f858b89b4454e001f4c1745b41888.jpg

1868624697_2019-09-2319_24_23.thumb.jpg.fc4a9e361677c42f2e8d79f36f814498.jpg

That Hagrid's Hut looks very promising. Cool way to sneak your kid into modeling! Cool work on those blast deflectors too.

2 hours ago, nightmareB4macross said:

Thank you.

I’ve done none of the work described above.

After being printed he did all the work to sand and smooth out the printed vessels.

Once I get these, I’ll put up more pictures when they arrive.

How much did that set you back? I want to get a set 

1 hour ago, Kicker773 said:

How much did that set you back? I want to get a set 

All can afford this set. Just remember I was the first and pushed for this scale. So once you guys ask for your sets at the same time expect a slight delay.

It pays to be a pioneer.:drinks:

Thanks for posting pictures Derex. I ddin'tknow that was a kit yet! I'd use the surprised look on Woody's face. It would go perfect with some of the modeling conundrums I face!

Cool mods UN Marine. My son and I have been watching Gundam Origins so we're kinda in the Gundam frame of model building now. - MT

On 9/28/2019 at 10:31 AM, nightmareB4macross said:

1/8000

1/10000

1/20000

1F18D85F-A683-4D29-AEC2-B8AAF1B2FA29.jpeg

They look a little on the short/stubby side. But they look great though! Any idea on prices per scale?

On 9/29/2019 at 3:17 PM, derex3592 said:

Those Zen ships are spectacular. Can't wait to see them painted up. In other news, this new line finally showed up on Amazon with 1 day Prime shipping, hoping Bandai does more than just Buzz and Woody!!! 

20190929_141454.jpg

20190929_141413.jpg

So, you're saying you got a Woody...:spiteful:

18 hours ago, UN_MARINE said:

Got a hold of the new MG Ex-S. Pretty significant improvement over the old one, but didn't feel "modern" enough, so I did some modifications.

Big missed opportunity of a Ver.Ka release!

Your Booster mods look great. Did you change the face, too?

11 hours ago, MechTech said:

Cool mods UN Marine. My son and I have been watching Gundam Origins so we're kinda in the Gundam frame of model building now. - MT

Thanks! That's great! never too early (or late) to get into the hobby.

1 hour ago, electric indigo said:

Big missed opportunity of a Ver.Ka release!

Your Booster mods look great. Did you change the face, too?

Yeah, they should've held off until a proper 2.0.

Thanks! They're based on the Hummingbird boosters, which they also used on the Signature Ka. Robot Damashii Ex-S - I figure this will be as close to a Ver. Ka. I can get, until they actually make one.

The face is still stock, didn't feel like it needed further improvement.

On 9/30/2019 at 6:36 PM, Thom said:

They look a little on the short/stubby side. But they look great though! Any idea on prices per scale?

I just got them in late yesterday and only opened the box to discard excess packaging.

Only saw the antennas but I am waiting to debut this set at SDCon. From what I can see through the bubble wrap...this is going to be an incredible set.

I have had several inquiries about the set. If you’re really interested you might ant to ask the producer of these directly about price. 

The print is inexpensive. A 1/5000 Nuptiet Vergnitz runs 250.00 and that includes smoothing and priming of the vessel. Shipping extra. The prints are hollow but feel very sturdy.

The seller uses an online translator to communicate in English, but if you need help I don’t mind helping out a fellow MW member.

FYI-I have no stake in any of the particulars of this or any transactions. I just really hit it off with this seller and got the entire fleet of my dreams from a really great guy. I just want others to have their dreams fulfilled as well.

7 hours ago, nightmareB4macross said:

The prints are hollow but feel very sturdy.

They're hollow? Okay that has me interested. How thick would you estimate the shell is? 2-3mm or even thicker? Rough estimate. 

Also, I assume it is one piece, so there is no access to the interior for the hull, right?

I'm going to ask him for a two part mold so I can get inside the hull for lighting.

Edited by arbit

"You've got a friend in me....doo doo doo..." You guys know the words....sing along! :lol:.  Semi cool morning here so we're painting Woody! Just using what I had lying around paint wise. Doing this the quick and easy way this time around, just painting on the sprues and then putting him together. Maybe a tiny bit of detail painting on his vest, that'll be about it I think. Stay tuned for the next exciting episode of "Woody's Roundup!" 

20191006_100435.jpg

20191006_100427.jpg

This is what I'm up to in my dark cave. Took a lot of trial and error to get the right motor and gear set up, given that I don't know physics and how to calculate torque or the stall weight on this contraption. But it got done finally.

22 hours ago, arbit said:

This is what I'm up to in my dark cave. Took a lot of trial and error to get the right motor and gear set up, given that I don't know physics and how to calculate torque or the stall weight on this contraption. But it got done finally.

Cool work on the elevator. Nice motion to it.

On 10/6/2019 at 11:09 AM, derex3592 said:

"You've got a friend in me....doo doo doo..." You guys know the words....sing along! :lol:.  Semi cool morning here so we're painting Woody! Just using what I had lying around paint wise. Doing this the quick and easy way this time around, just painting on the sprues and then putting him together. Maybe a tiny bit of detail painting on his vest, that'll be about it I think. Stay tuned for the next exciting episode of "Woody's Roundup!"

20191006_100427.jpg

Those Woody faces actually look a little freaky...:shok:

20 hours ago, CHAVAKAISER said:

Impresión de leggios en 3d :)

IMG-20191006-WA0007.jpg

That's cool. What scale is it?