Whats Lying on your Workbench MK IV

Urashiman

1 hour ago, pengbuzz said:

Looking pretty good there, derex! The panel-lining on the main "eyepiece" really makes the detail pop, and the thrusters look good as well.

One thing I have noticed though in some older kits is that the parts after a while tend to get brittle when cutting them. Have you run into that at all with this kit? I'm not sure how old of a kit you're working with of how new it is if it's a re-pop.

Haven't run into that with this kit. This is one of the originals as far as I know. That being said I'm veeerry careful when trimming parts and cutting them off the sprues with these old Macross kits. 

16 hours ago, MechTech said:

Cool Derex! I love that kit despite its fit.

Pengbuzz, what old kits have you experienced that brittleness with? Just curious.-MY

On my first VF-1S kit build, much of the plastic was brittle in places. It was an Imai early issue (1/72, transformable), where you switch the nose out to go from Fighter to Battroid. The Battroid nose practically crumbled, so I was forced to develop a transform to compensate for this and it became more like the Bandai version (plug-in legs).

I also ran into this with the SDF-1 Storm Attacker model from Arii, where the arm connection to the carriers was pretty brittle as well. Additionally, the pin connecting the leg to the body disintegrated and I had to dig its remains out of the upper thigh.

For non-Macross models, I recently had an LST (Landing Ship Tank) model kit that was so brittle that even snipping the parts off the trees using any method (snipper, xacto knife, scissors) would cause the part to turn to crumbs.

Edited by pengbuzz

That's too bad Pengbuzz! It almost sounds like something got to it to attack it for parts that got brittle. For the whole kit being bad, that's just bad chemistry.

Poor Derex, can't get any slack around here!

Cool Pengbuzz, except, "My eyes!" That just hurts looking at the light :shok: - MT

Edited by MechTech
Additional text.

15 minutes ago, MechTech said:

That's too bad Pengbuzz! It almost sounds like something got to it to attack it for parts that got brittle. For the whole kit being bad, that's just bad chemistry.

Poor Derex, can't get any slack around here!

Cool Pengbuzz, except, "My eyes!" That just hurts looking at the light :shok: - MT

Yeah; I'm working on making a way to block the actual light so all we get is the light coming from it and not the glowing "bulb".

As for the model kits: since i got them secondhand, who knows?

Great shots of ongoing projects, everyone. 

My own progress has been very slow. Managed to get an hour or so in on the DC missile project last night. 

IMG_20190815_195900.thumb.jpg.ac49f1847ba0b64cf0c1f81c2d99d1b4.jpg

For anyone who hasn't seen previous posts, I'm using the Hasegawa VF-1 Weapons set in 1:48 scale to fit to the Bandai DX VF-1 toy.

I've decided the magnet mounts for the missiles was a fun little mini project but it's just a bit too tedious to continue on the other three pylons.  It's also very tricky to get the alignment just right and in the end, I figure it'll be easier to just glue the silly things in place and call it a day.

Next step is to putty over the 3d printed adapters.  The gorilla glue on the first test worked but it's a bit softer than I'd like.  I think I'll use miliput on the rest of these and if possible, do some very light panel lines or something.

Edited by mickyg

10 hours ago, MechTech said:

Well, then this should help ya out:

lol just kidding, MT! :D I managed to reposition it a bit so the bulb isn't "front and center":

100_0508.thumb.JPG.3f7411f0b328d4574a546d3e5dfb3a57.JPG

And of course, without:

100_0511.thumb.JPG.32247b87839bed3c6d33976d22ab3c7c.JPG

I just need to build a thing or two more and I'm thinking I'm done with this one.

Stay tuned...

Edited by pengbuzz

17 hours ago, pengbuzz said:

Well, then this should help ya out:

ol just kidding, MT! :D I managed to reposition it a bit so the bulb isn't "front and center":

100_0508.thumb.JPG.3f7411f0b328d4574a546d3e5dfb3a57.JPG

And of course, without:

100_0511.thumb.JPG.32247b87839bed3c6d33976d22ab3c7c.JPG

I just need to build a thing or two more and I'm thinking I'm done with this one.

Stay tuned...

That looks great! And something you could add on to.

On 8/17/2019 at 12:54 PM, derex3592 said:

Wifey hooked it up for my BDay Friday!!! 

20190817_115329.jpg

Nice score by your wifey! BTW: if possible, could you get another refit to represent the E-A?

8 minutes ago, derex3592 said:

Some progress on the Q-Rau parts. The decals actually came off the sheet and went down fairly well. Not perfect but pretty good. Pretty amazing for 1985ish decals. 

20190818_141557.jpg

Hey, for 1980's era decals, that's pretty impressive! I've had them either refuse to come off the sheet, or simply shatter. O.O

Edited by pengbuzz

Cool MickyG! I found Gorilla glue is best when you don't see it. It's weird stuff.

Funny Pengbuzz! But the changes look great!

Electric Indigo: Awww! It is cute. Is that going to be one of the Arab Nations schemes?

Derex, that's good! You're wife understands and accepts your hobby! Now you know she's a keeper:D

No photos yet. My maniacal cap gun design is still being machined and experimented with. I'm hoping to finish it soon and get back to the styrene assembly of the ship. - MY

Another 3D printed project in the works, though I might have to settle for farming this model out somewhere with a higher resolution printer (or just making one from scratch).  Seems my printer just isn't up to printing a 20mm long replacement part.  That lump of knobbly waste is the closest my printer can come to making a Tie Interceptor cannon. :lol: 

1467434261_ss(2019-08-24at01_07.37).jpg.68dc693c73759a1f8cef0552c7e99e1f.jpg   94820890_ss(2019-08-24at01_13.31).jpg.b6ecf93cbb8e657f29eed1e094b24459.jpg

On the other hand, if I scale it up about 4x, and replicate the rest of the kit, I could print myself an awesome 1/18 Tie. ^_^ 

@derex3592 That old Q-Rau kit is coming along nicely! That mockup shot is awesome. I can't wait to see it finished. 

@pengbuzzYour hangar turned out great! I love all the little details you put in. And to think it's all scratch built. That just blows my mind. 

@anubis20Your ghost looks really cool. I love that flat red finish. Good luck on your Hasegawa kit. We're always here to help if you get stuck on something. 

@UN_MARINE Your SDF-1 is super impressive. From an engineering standpoint, I like the parts breakdown. It seems like it would go together nicely. I like how you proportioned the head.

@ChronocidalI hope you figure out that cannon. That print is just disappointing! I'd be punching the wall in frustration if that were my print. 

Pengbuzz, That came out great. Your figure work looks good too. My hat's off to you. I SUCK at making figures from scratch!

Anubis, nice clean build! It is weird that the colors came out like that. Its looks great all the same.

That's cool UN Marine! You gonna do the acetone fog, or just sand down the bias marks? Looks like the seams aren't so bad at all.

Chronocidal, what kind of printer are you using? I've never seen one blob up like that before. Sorry about that. I'd be frustrated too.

Cool Gabe! I haven't seen a male power armor done in a while. I'm guessing that's a newer release? I'm used to seeing the ugly purple styrene.

If you're looking at the picture saying, "What the heck is that!?" Its the third and hopefully final version of my ship's cap gun (cap cannon). The barrel and bolt are stainless steel. They travel back and forth inside the brass tube in the middle. They strike the cap which will fit behind the whole thing. The gear and helix piece are whole and rotate around the barrel cocking the bolt/barrel back and then letting it fly into the cap to set it off. It's only half way done now. The barrel still needs shaping and the other half of the motor drive and cap feed still need to be done. At least it looks like something now. - MT

0825191402.jpg

13 hours ago, Gabe Q said:

@UN_MARINE Your SDF-1 is super impressive. From an engineering standpoint, I like the parts breakdown. It seems like it would go together nicely. I like how you proportioned the head.

Thanks! I figured it would be the easiest way to split up parts for color separation & printing in batches. The head proportion's pretty much a side-effect of not wanting a parts-former.

12 hours ago, MechTech said:

That's cool UN Marine! You gonna do the acetone fog, or just sand down the bias marks? Looks like the seams aren't so bad at all.

0825191402.jpg

Thanks! I've never tried acetone, sand paper's always been the preferred method.

The printer and I have a mutual understanding, where it doesn't embarrass me too often. :lol:

That is truly impressive work!