Whats Lying on your Workbench MK IV

Urashiman

3 hours ago, wm cheng said:

Amazing Arbit!!!  Congrats on an amazing build.  You can be proud.

Thanks so much wmcheng. Youre our hero. I dont have 1/10 your skill. 

I couldnt be doing this without the guys on the workbench showing me the way. They taught me everything I know. I just try to have fun with everyone. It's a team effort.

Edited by arbit

10 hours ago, arbit said:

Exactly 250 grams. But I dont trust this levitating display. It comes crashing down with a bang from imbalance. Anyone experienced one that doesn't do that?

I made this for my kids because this is exactly what I would have wanted. My 7-yr old gave it a 10/10. But my 13-yr old only gave it a 9... Tough customer... Too preoccupied with Fortnite. I'm beginning to really hate that game...

That look super-fine, Arbit! And your eldest should be grounded for that low number!

On ‎9‎/‎8‎/‎2018 at 5:41 PM, electric indigo said:

Thanks, wm. The Draken is Hasegawa's superb kit, the Viggen from Sweden's small model company Tarangus, formed by two Saab enthusiasts.

Here's more of the Thunderbolt, I'm struggling with my camera to get some decent shots for composite work.

42744075200_cdd383d26a_c.jpg

44503419162_80bb52749d_c.jpg

42502659140_6eb79db9db_c.jpg

Fantastic looking Viggen.
The colours look spot on.

Just a few remarks if you don't mind. As this depicts a JA 37 Jaktviggen (the fighter version) there are a few things that is different. It should have a fourth activator for the elevons on each wing and the navlights should be moved to the vingtips. Just a few nitpics on anothervise fantastic looking build.

/Johan

That came out AWESOME Arbit!!! Somebody's video game privileges should be revoked!

The only thing that struck me funny was "Darth Vader's Theme" from the first video. One couple had that played at their wedding as the bride came down the isle :D

The Viggen and VF-1J are looking great too guys! - MT

I made a toy! This is the final video showing the Bluetooth controls.

Hope you like it!

Don't ask me what XYTV is. It's from a paid app, Viva Video, that's not supposed to have watermarks!

Edited by arbit

On 12. Oktober 2018 at 12:55 PM, Flarpen said:

Fantastic looking Viggen.
The colours look spot on.

Just a few remarks if you don't mind. As this depicts a JA 37 Jaktviggen (the fighter version) there are a few things that is different. It should have a fourth activator for the elevons on each wing and the navlights should be moved to the vingtips. Just a few nitpics on anothervise fantastic looking build.

/Johan

Thanks for your comments, Flarpen. The actuators were included with the kit, but I only found out after I finished it that I forgot to put them on. And since I only collected pics of the earlier generation Viggens with the splinter camo (the JAs were painted grey later) I never noticed the navigation lights were in the wrong position.

A Draken is in the works btw...

On 10/13/2018 at 12:33 PM, MechTech said:

The Viggen and VF-1J are looking great too guys! - MT

Thanks MechTech!!

A few more pics with principal decals applied and a few stencils. I use decals from the SUPER Max/Miria kit and the NO STEP stencils from a Tomcat decal sheet, same color of the grey stencils that came with the Super, so I take that liberty.

P4fiTme.jpg

a9M00Ha.jpg

tkeRJhq.jpg

6 hours ago, arbit said:

joscasle, Looking sharp. Very nice finish. And you pulled off the Miria red very nicely. 

What's your next step?

Thanks Arbit!! Next  step is applied all the stencils, then panel lining and detail the landing gear and very important the clear parts, some minor watering and that's all. After these one I will do Max's Super VF-1J :)

I have a modeling question and this seems to be the most applicable thread to ask in.

I have no model building experience but finally caved and ordered a few Frame Arms kits form HLJ cause they looked cool and the description said they didn't need glue or paint; looking into them further though they apparently do need paint for the details and accent work. Will the Gundam paint markers HLJ sells work for the details rather than having to use regular paints?

I'm hoping they will cause I just don't have the patience to deal with painting. Any insights on the paint or other advise for building these would be welcome.

8 hours ago, Jaustin89 said:

I have a modeling question and this seems to be the most applicable thread to ask in.

I find Gundam Markers impossible to use and control. You are better off hand brushing details with some Vallejo Acrylics (any kind will do). You will save money and they will last a long time.  They are easy to use and not toxic. I use Chinese zero size brushes for details.

Learn how to set up a wet palette and you will be set for life (takes one sec). You wet a paper towel on a plate of any kind, and lay some baking paper on top. That's your painting palette which will keep your Vallejo paints from drying out.

What a masterpiece Arbit! That came out great! That is something show quality AND cool. Its one thing to build a model and another to make it come alive! Congrats on another great build!

@ Jaustin89 - If you paint your parts, just make sure to wash the parts first thoroughly and rinse/dry thoroughly too. The models have mold release waxes or grease on them and the paint or glues won't adhere properly. I think you will find the Frame Arms kits go together easily. Assemble pieces first and decide if you want to paint. Some of the kits won't need much paint if you just want to have fun. See if you like the hobby first. I think you will enjoy though! My son and I love building robot kits together. - MT

Thanks for the advise everyone; I've ditched the marker idea and have some Vallejho mecha color acrylics, primers, coatings, and supplies en route, I figure if I'm going to be painting it I might as well try and do it right.

Besides with what I spent on the Frames and MSG weapons + kits (an impulsive shopper, Kotobukiya's line up, nothing to do, and a extra paycheck is a bad combination) I really want to get some decent looking pieces out of it so I don't feel like I wasted a ton of money.

1 hour ago, Jaustin89 said:

I've ditched the marker idea and have some Vallejho mecha color acrylics, primers, coatings, and supplies en route, I figure if I'm going to be painting it I might as well try and do it right.

Whatever approach you choose, I have found that watching a lot of Youtube tutorials first really helps avoid trial and error.

11 hours ago, MechTech said:

What a masterpiece Arbit! That came out great! That is something show quality AND cool. Its one thing to build a model and another to make it come alive! Congrats on another great build!

Thanks Mechtech. I'm really glad you had fun with it. That's my only goal. I'm not interested in making any masterpiece, I'm just trying to survive the process!!!

Sorry, I'm not much of a photographer. Capturing video of those light panels is really difficult. I lost focus on the Falcon, because I was so concerned with the  lights not washing out. Although I made my best effort to get a good video, I still screwed it up.

That was a phenomenal waste of money; I got the first frame arm kit assembled and completely lost any motivation to do anything further. The amount of time and effort to get this to something I would consider displayable vastly exceeds what I'm willing to put in for something that can do nothing more than sit on a shelf picking up dust.

If anyone's interested in some Frame Arm and M.S.G. kits (and some un-opened acrylic paints and modeling supplies) I'm going to have a ton available in a sale thread once I sort through what I have and how much it cost per item.

joscasle, that's a perfect looking valk! I'm lovin' it! What'd that take? Say about 40 hours or so?

I just can't get around to finishing mine. I'm inspired by how good yours looks but I'm also discouraged because I know mine won't turn out as good as yours.