Whats Lying on your Workbench MK IV

Urashiman

17 hours ago, Sanity is Optional said:

That 171 is in desperate need of panel lining and some detail work.

Now I'm feeling a need to do the one I've got in my (gigantic) backlog.

Yeah, I just snapped it together. Going to airbrush this thing soon and panel lining will happen too. No worries :D

and ... I have a giant backlog myself with kits that need building since 1999 ...

My newest project, with some "backstory" to it:

"Reporting as ordered, Sir."

"I take it the techs explained the new suit to you?"

"Yes Sir..."

"You seem ...dissatisfied. Explain."

"Sir, if this is supposed to be dual purpose for flight ops as well as SpecOps duty, armor panels are going to reduce the mobility and flexibility on both counts, and the suit's too damned...shiny."

"Shiny?"

"You may as well put christmas tree lights on it, as well as a bullseye on my ass, Sir."

"You did read the specs on the light refractive coating? It may look 'shiny' to you in full light with the system off,  but when active, it's designed to make sure you are anything but noticed, Lieutenant."

"If you say so Sir. i have my misgivings..."

"That's why you're going to test it out before we send you out there. As for those armor panels, those  are to make sure you don't get anymore holes punched in you."

"A little thin for that kind of protection, Sir".

"Did you plan on standing there while they shoot at you, Lieutenant?"

"Not particularly, Sir."

"Listen to me Lieutenant; the situation we are facing is grave. You know what the Black Rose Conspiracy did the last time around."

"I know all too well...the bastards almost killed me..."

"As  well as nearly took out this fleet. And seeing as we are out in the middle of uncharted space due to their 'escapades' with our navigation system the last time they reared their heads, the stakes are way too high. We need a combo of a Valkyrie/ SpecOps team that we can send in on a moment's notice".

"I see. So, if we screw up, we're done. Right?"

"You 'screw up', we're going to end up another footnote of a missing fleet, like the Megaroad-1. They don't particularly seem interested in sending a postcard back to the Unity Government to tell them they they took us out".

"Don't you mean NUNS?"

"Lieutenant, there are reasons I wanted to helm a New Macross Colony Fleet. One of those is that I really do not care for Earth's antics, let alone how they keep changing their minds on what they want the government to be called. I joined U.N. SPACY, not a convent."

"Understood..."

"Good.  Report to Testing Area 3 aboard the UNS Sagan; you're to test the suit there and once you're done, make a full report. "

"Yes Sir."

107_0042.thumb.JPG.9b18b3e71f31c41753cdc956fa96e136.JPG

107_0043.thumb.JPG.3b75f5c5bc318f84851fa4141e1ee64b.JPG

107_0047.thumb.JPG.84a9339978936c35cfc1fd6aa23f05d2.JPG

107_0048.thumb.JPG.498432130f65588fa685f773f5723728.JPG

107_0050.thumb.JPG.3825cfaa1206ba46be5790b4fff34a95.JPG

Edited by pengbuzz

Been a while since I last updated. I finished the mini-knight seen here munching on some xenos:

20180505_123916-1612x1209.jpg.773df55e7c739822d6e7525ce9127387.jpg
And his bigger brother

20180513_213051-1612x1209.thumb.jpg.ee56f8186f286808695956ddb74e9baa.jpg
Here's more work on my next Imperial Knight of House Jenius I'm doing. 

20180519_234913-1612x1209.jpg.e20159d2f056d3ef22933e77c9bda241.jpg

On 5/22/2018 at 3:23 PM, MechTech said:

Great looking builds guys! Pengbuzz, your photos are so dark I can hardly see them.

Well, guess the stealth feature worked!!!

Seriously, I reshot some pics with all the lights and lamps I could find AND a flash::

107_0053.thumb.JPG.770379c9651a19ad03f371480f481f75.JPG

This one is with a lamp directly on the figure:

107_0056.thumb.JPG.7c256e1a44116ec4599d6fe54f02568e.JPG

And normal light: you can see the shadow behind the fig-

107_0064.thumb.JPG.f2d8d5901a4f61088eafe14450323a9c.JPG

Camera was on different settings: for the brightest ones, I had it on high ISO, while on the rest, I had the camera set for low-light.

Maybe I should have used orange instead! lol That, or a lighter backdrop and broad sunlight (if my psycho neighbor lets me without trying to gnaw my leg off)

Right...moving on to my next project, coming soon...

Edited by pengbuzz

thanks! I used tamiya acrylic (with airbrush) as well as the tamiya weathering set (rust and oil stain). 

For the inner frame I followed this process:

1 - all painted with a generous layer of chrome alluminium

2 - very very super thin layer of a mixture of flat black and nato black 

3 - hadbrush detailing with silver, goald leaf and copper colours

4 - all pieces gently passed with a) toothbrush and b) a brush whith metal for shoes to randomly "scratch" the black layer and expose the chrome

5 - weathering with rust and oil stain powders

6 - sealing with Future top coat

the armor is more a normal black preshading, colour and then enamel wash proces.

9 hours ago, pengbuzz said:

Nice job! Though for some reason, i can imagine Han, Leia and Chewie outside discoing to those lights. :p

Ha. Very true. It's for the kids, so the more bling the better.  But I do like some bling myself...

Finally got in some GOOD bench time this afternoon, and making good progress on the Cat's Eye.. puttying/sanding is my least favorite thing to do in the entire world... but I'm getting it done so I can move on to final assembly and paint. Engines are primed now at least... more to come tomorrow as I'm off work! 

...P.S...who wanted my landing gear around here??? I can't remember.

20180527_200552.jpg

20180527_200616.jpg

20180527_200547.jpg

Edited by derex3592

3 hours ago, Lt. Z0mBe said:

I'm calling this one finished.  Is it perfect?  No.  Am I happy with it, sure.

It's a work of art. I would say it's perfect.

I grew up as a fan of the Black Tigers in the original series.

They stole every scene with their slick black and yellow uniforms. 

Edited by arbit

14 hours ago, derex3592 said:

puttying/sanding is my least favorite thing to do in the entire world...

Well, you're really good at it! I especially admire your priming skills. 

But take it easy there, you're losing those panel lines and rivets,

Probably @NZEOD wanted your gears.

Edited by arbit

3 hours ago, arbit said:

Well, you're really good at it! I especially admire your priming skills. 

But take it easy there, you're losing those panel lines and rivets,

Probably @NZEOD wanted your gears.

SEE!!!  ...and that's precisely why I HATE having to putty and sand, with Tamiya putty there is NO WAY NOT to loose rivets and panel lines IMHO when sanding down the excess putty because it's like effing concrete once it sets, and don't get me started on that green squadron crap or whatever it's called, it's 10 times worse.   I use to use regular old spackling, like from Home Depot, because you could wet your finger and simply wipe away the access and leave a nice filled crack!  I don't understand why SOMEONE can't come up with something like that that won't crack over time, which is what the spackling eventually did. 

Edited by derex3592

5 minutes ago, derex3592 said:

SEE!!!  ...and that's why I HATE having to putty and sand, with Tamiya putty there is NO WAY NOT to loose rivets and panel lines IMHO when sanding down the excess putty because it's like effing concrete once it sets, and don't get me started on that green squadron crap or whatever it's called, it's 10 times worse.   I use to use regular old spackling, like from Home Depot, because you could wet your finger and simply wipe away the access and leave a nice filled crack!  I don't understand why SOMEONE can't come up with something like that that won't crack over time, which is what the spackling eventually did. 

Well I cant' putty or paint worth crap anyway, but I prefer to keep the models details rather than a perfectly sanded seam.

I use Tamiya putty only in minimal amounts and switch to polyester putty for anything critical. Mori Mori was the brand of my choice, but it seems to have gone extinct. It's very easy to sand and to feather into the surrounding surfaces.

21 hours ago, CrossAir said:

Nice one. Do you plan any certain paint scheme?

I have something with muted red and some weathering on my mind.

leave it to the Brits to come up with it.  Water soluble putty ...I ordered a tube from MegaHobby. Dammit..1 day to late for the Cat's Eye. Should ALWAYS Google things before you start something..LOL

Edited by derex3592

54 minutes ago, DarkArchon3000 said:

Bummer. :(  I've been thinking of purchasing some myself but I prefer water sanding to prevent dust.

The putty? You can still wet sand once it's dry.