Whats Lying on your Workbench MK IV

Urashiman

7 hours ago, MechTech said:

Ha ha ha! OK, my parents wouldn't let me have ANYTHING that resembled a weapon (because they knew me too well). BUT, my glue all over the place models got re-used to add more weapons onto some unsuspecting valkyrie kit or other Robotech kit. Today, EVERYBODY gets involved in model building in this house! (see attached) - MT

0207180930a.jpg

Sh*t the cats out of the bag!!

8 hours ago, MechTech said:

Ha ha ha! OK, my parents wouldn't let me have ANYTHING that resembled a weapon (because they knew me too well). BUT, my glue all over the place models got re-used to add more weapons onto some unsuspecting valkyrie kit or other Robotech kit. Today, EVERYBODY gets involved in model building in this house! (see attached) - MT

0207180930a.jpg

I think your space fold drive has gone a bit faulty.

Have no fear, the only weapons I used for target practice on my models would have been a suction cup bow and arrow and other indoor mayhem.

Edited by arbit

19 hours ago, CrossAir said:

Oh, I got this Tomcat, too. It was too huge. And sadly it was one of the first kits I used my new air brush on. It looked awful - and it did not make it through the 90s'. But I still find some parts of it every now and then and use them as painting samples. ;)

Yeah; someday if I find one, I'd like to super-detail it and do it up right. For the one I had years ago, I scratched up a pilot and RIO. Ahh... those were the days lol

On 2/7/2018 at 6:22 PM, MechTech said:

0207180930a.jpg

That there's a Zentradi cat!

6 hours ago, pengbuzz said:

Yeah; someday if I find one, I'd like to super-detail it and do it up right. For the one I had years ago, I scratched up a pilot and RIO. Ahh... those were the days lol

Yes, due to its size you can really go for details. But nowadays I‘d like to get a Valkyrie at this size which I could hang down the ceiling (like I did with the Tamiya F14 those days)

On 2/4/2018 at 2:00 PM, MechTech said:

The paint is looking good Zombie. The colors on the ordinance will make it look more realistic.

Derex, you scored on that one! The lining will help it stand out nicely.

Brett, I didn't realize how small the Elysium kit is, but you're making it look great!

505, the natural light makes it look much better! I'm actually picking times of the day to do certain things because I find the natural light makes certain things stand out better.

The Tequila Gunner's gun barrels were both horrible. The smaller, auxiliary cannon had a ejection mark right into the barrel. So the easiest thing was to lathe a new one. It has a 1/16" bore that I rammed a smaller Dremmel bit into to create rifling. Same thing with the main gun. It was actually squarish or oval depending on what part of it you looked at. So I machined a new one for it too. I also made it a little longer. Likewise, I also made rifling marks inside of it too. Nearly done with the construction parts now. - MT

0204181338a.jpg

0203181526.jpg

0203181810b.jpg

0203181930a.jpg

0204181313.jpg

0204181315.jpg

The barrels look incredible.  Thanks for the kind words on my build.  Glad somebody "got it" with regards to the ordnance. ;)

Just finished: Gunhed 2025 Special Edition

I'm a big fan of Gunhed since I saw the movie the first time in the early 90s. I've seen the kit years before and now as I started modeling again, it was a must. At first I planned to put on some camouflage and rust like seen in the movie, but after lots of research I noticed that almost all other works on the web are done like that. And after the first application of the main body color (which came out as very dark blue-grey) I decided to let it shine as brand new just as Guney came out of factory for test drive. Only the tires, metallic exhaust pipes in the middle and the claws underwent some weathering. And the blank metal on the extendable parts on the arms and undercarriage got an oily look.

Damn that thing looks so cool :wub:, hard to find an appropriate display location :unsure:

IMG_2259.thumb.jpg.0da4c9364743bfbb92ccc1aedb0168d2.jpg

IMG_2241.thumb.jpg.c02838a3dd38b1768aea6ee806215537.jpgIMG_2307.thumb.jpg.0fbd2c124d326286f6505efb563cd428.jpg

IMG_2250.thumb.jpg.2f5189cf18d71719cd2b6da665a190cf.jpg

IMG_2222.thumb.jpg.fcd6e607a8bdfea414de520ce310504e.jpg

On ‎1‎/‎02‎/‎2018 at 8:06 AM, arbit said:

Paragrafix has amazing photo etch for lighting. They use backlit films instead of decals, and the photo etch is prepped for lighting. I wish someone would do this for the vf-1.  This is for the Moebius model.

http://www.paragrafix.biz/product_detail.asp?MainCat=Photoetch&SubCat=blank&PPartNum=PGX207

The amazing Viper on youtube was done with their stuff.

I am dying to do this for my  valk, but havent figured it out yet.

that's Will Vales Viper from here in NZ. He used an Adruino board to do the lighting with his own coding for the "noise" that makes the engines flicker so believably. Unfortunately he wont share the coding with ANYONE.  

5 hours ago, Thom said:

That looks sooo good! The camo pattern is quite attractive. What comic is that from?

Thanks !

it comes from the french comic book « Le Grand Duc » (translated in english, « The Grand Duke). By Romain Hugault and Yann. 

https://nouvellesduglobe.wordpress.com/2015/10/31/la-trilogie-le-grand-duc/

Edited by Hervé

6 hours ago, NZEOD said:

that's Will Vales Viper from here in NZ. He used an Adruino board to do the lighting with his own coding for the "noise" that makes the engines flicker so believably. Unfortunately he wont share the coding with ANYONE.  

Ha ha, I asked him myself on his channel! 

I need some good engine sketches. I just blink them fast and alternate the color. No idea what's that "noise" he's talking about is. 

14 hours ago, CrossAir said:

Just finished: Gunhed 2025 Special Edition

Nice Gun Unit of Heavy Eliminate Device.

That thing is huge!

3 hours ago, arbit said:

Ha ha, I asked him myself on his channel! 

I need some good engine sketches. I just blink them fast and alternate the color. No idea what's that "noise" he's talking about is. 

Noise is where his code for the flicking isn't predicable... his engines flicker in intensity and also colour... so it looks like real flame and not an LED.

Thanks guys!

Herve, your comic based paint scheme came out great! You could slice it in half down the center and display it in the comic book it matches so well!

CrossAir, your Gunhead model looks nice and clean! I never saw the series, but the ads I saw drove me nuts because they were so foggy and you couldn't see the mecha very well.

Nearly done with construction. I got the seems clean and the color is good, so matching paint will be used to look like dirt and cover the seems without going through the whole process of priming and painting only for it to get scratched up. One missile pod will be built to open and display the ordnance since they include it. This kit is a LOT of fun and not too bad fit wise. The toughest part is building the tiny tri-pod to put the range finders on that goes with the troops! - MT

0211181247c.jpg

As the delivery of my order at CDJ for my next projects will take some time, I decided to start work on my Bandai VF-25F 1/100 kit which I purchased back 2013 right after I got my first DX RVF-25. I did not realize that it had no waterslide decals included, only those horrible stickers, so I left it on the shelf.  But today I gave that kit a chance. As fan of the YF-25 livery, I'll gonna paint it in the Prophecy's white-orange pattern. Of course I'll still have the same problem to get N.U.N.S decals as with my repaint of the Alto's Tornado Parts for my YF-25s. Now I ordered some inkjet waterslide decal sheets. At least I give this solution a try.

Todays paint job was quite extensive, it consumed lots of masking tape: ;)

IMG_2344.thumb.jpg.0adbf1200e5fe350bd8b48c6dad3e283.jpgIMG_2345.thumb.jpg.339a39c3a5085951c619155dbd87d987.jpg

Edited by CrossAir

8 hours ago, MechTech said:

Thanks guys!

Herve, your comic based paint scheme came out great! You could slice it in half down the center and display it in the comic book it matches so well!

CrossAir, your Gunhead model looks nice and clean! I never saw the series, but the ads I saw drove me nuts because they were so foggy and you couldn't see the mecha very well.

Nearly done with construction. I got the seems clean and the color is good, so matching paint will be used to look like dirt and cover the seems without going through the whole process of priming and painting only for it to get scratched up. One missile pod will be built to open and display the ordnance since they include it. This kit is a LOT of fun and not too bad fit wise. The toughest part is building the tiny tri-pod to put the range finders on that goes with the troops! - MT

0211181247c.jpg

And beware the decals. The ones with mine @ least were the thickest, most non-conforming decals I have ever dealt with. Even Solvaset didn't do much to them. Love the new barrels.

9 hours ago, CrossAir said:

As the delivery of my order at CDJ for my next projects will take some time, I decided to start work on my Bandai VF-25F 1/100 kit which I purchased back 2013 right after I got my first DX RVF-25. I did not realize that it had no waterslide decals included, only those horrible stickers, so I left it on the shelf.  But today I gave that kit a chance. As fan of the YF-25 livery, I'll gonna paint it in the Prophecy's white-orange pattern. Of course I'll still have the same problem to get N.U.N.S decals as with my repaint of the Alto's Tornado Parts for my YF-25s. Now I ordered some inkjet waterslide decal sheets. At least I give this solution a try.

IMG_2345.thumb.jpg.339a39c3a5085951c619155dbd87d987.jpg

Looks like a great start!  I do love that scheme. :D

I actually stocked up hard on these 1/100 kits when they came out, they were too cheap to pass up.  I never intended to use the included markings at all though, because I figure I have enough of the standard schemes from the show represented in 1/72 and 1/60.  All of the 1/100s are getting custom paintjobs. :) 

On 2/11/2018 at 3:23 PM, CrossAir said:

IMG_2344.thumb.jpg.0adbf1200e5fe350bd8b48c6dad3e283.jpgIMG_2345.thumb.jpg.339a39c3a5085951c619155dbd87d987.jpg

Looking real nice. Really like the color scheme.

Hey Derex, Do you have the Bandai 1/72 Star Wars T65 X-Wing Fighter?

I want to know the diameter of these nozzles, to see of the PE grills will fit in the Hasegawa VF-1.

5a861542c32f4_s-l1600(3).jpg.38248ca96bf9ea6006b46c970c96e7e1.jpg

19 minutes ago, Chronocidal said:

So, looks like inner surface of the nozzle is 6.5 mm, while the inside of the inner area between the baffles is 5.9 mm.

Cool. You would think that Hasegawa would make more interesting PE.

You know the rather sad thing is that the 1/72 Bandai engine interiors look much better than the 1/48 ones.  They just made the larger ones much thicker proportionally, probably due to the lighting included in the kit.

I'm still hoping that we someday get a normal 1/48 one.  I've been gradually working on a mod to the wing motor so the wings can be opened without power, but the kit is just so over-engineered, and I'd much rather have quick snap open/closed wings like the 1/72 one.

My 1/100 YF-25 custom is near the finish line. I gave those waterslide decals for inkjet printing a try and after a few adjustments I got satisfying results. The edges of the decals are not completely sharp, but on a little distance they are looking great. I had to cover them with three layers of clear coat and let them dry up to 8 hours. But after this procedure they were water proof and the color did not tend to bleed out any more. Also the decals are very thin and follow the surface. 

One problem is of course, that the carrier material ist transparent. Luckily the YF-25 has a lot of white areas where decals have to be applied, but the orange and black areas are a problem when the decals itself has a lot of light colors in it. For the N.U.N.S-Logo on the side of the engine inlets and the Test-Team-Logo on the yaw rudder I cut out white areas from remaining decals as background. The Test-Team-Logo does not please me yet, so I ordered some white decal sheets. With these I plan to get the remaining white letters on the black fins, too (Especially the PROPHECY-letters on the inside) .

IMG_2360.thumb.jpg.d37d45b6df3d34092c26f1cd93dc5e47.jpgIMG_2361.thumb.jpg.e790d69b5ac5899ac5506c797dbf5b0b.jpgIMG_2362.thumb.jpg.bfbda37ac50371ee2c15da27da7b1585.jpg

IMG_2363.thumb.jpg.0af32d7b0b64b78d299b33ea34eee22d.jpg

Edited by CrossAir