Whats Lying on your Workbench MK IV

Urashiman

4 hours ago, 505thAirborne said:

Finished the Raptor a few weeks ago (finally had time to take some pics), I'm tempted to get another one! B))

Beautiful work. The paint, the weathering... everything. My goodness you got skills :o 

The shade of brown would make a nice color for a Destroid, what color did you use?

Edited by arbit

Thanks arbit, I am humbled. B)) (I'm a big fan of your projects, always impressive!) 

The Raptor has a unique set of colors on in. I restore WWI & WWII Helmets for reenactors & collectors and happened to have some Japanese WWII Olive Drab Brown paint handy, so I used that as the base, airbrushed in some black for some depth, then the overall color is Testors Afrika Mustard (best choice overall for the Raptor... or perhaps a Tomahawk & Phalanx). I also made a mix of olive green, dark yellow and light brown acrylic paint to airbrush on for added details, then a good dose of weathering/aging.  

It's a little pricey for the Raptor & Armament set together, yet if you're a BSG fan I recommend it. If I get another one it will be a std. Raptor with the gear down & the door open. The decals for the control panels used by the RIO are insanely detailed and a major excuse to use LED's inside! 

Looking forward to your completed Motorized VF-1 project!! 

54 minutes ago, 505thAirborne said:

The decals for the control panels used by the RIO are insanely detailed and a major excuse to use LED's inside! 

Paragrafix has amazing photo etch for lighting. They use backlit films instead of decals, and the photo etch is prepped for lighting. I wish someone would do this for the vf-1.  This is for the Moebius model.

http://www.paragrafix.biz/product_detail.asp?MainCat=Photoetch&SubCat=blank&PPartNum=PGX207

The amazing Viper on youtube was done with their stuff.

I am dying to do this for my  valk, but havent figured it out yet.

Edited by arbit

Nice conversion UN Marine! I think that's from the "Side Story" isn't it?

The Raptor looks great 505! I wouldn't want to meet that down a dark alleyway - or ins space!

That's cool looking Nyankodevice! You need a bigger cannon on that thing!:D

Sorry I haven't been online much lately guys. Work and actually doing some modelling gets in the way.

The photos aren't loading in order, but long story short, I got an easel tri-pod for only $5 and decided to go all "styrene" on it and make a head for my camera and cellphone camera. That took a couple of weekends and a lot of styrene, but it functions pretty well.

Next, my son and I worked on the 1/100 Gundam Gusion. The kit comes with one frame that you can build either the original or rebake bodies onto. I hated to choose, so I took the original Gusion and used Kotobukiya ball joints and other spare PC parts and styrene to add joints to it. Then I built the Rebake version onto the frame since so much of it is exposed. The Gusion is mostly done with minor weathering and detail, but the Rebake is unfinished so far (sorry, cellphone didn't want to focus very well).

Lastly, I'm on a Dougram kick now. I got the 1/48th Tequuilla Gunner (Robotech "Commando") for around $49 (busted box - who cares) on ebay and am building it. If you guys haven't discovered Mandarake yet ( https://earth.mandarake.co.jp/shop/ ) you gotta check them out! I purchased the 1/48th Dougram Ironfoot / Hasty and Native Dancer (also Robotech Defender models) from them for a good price and no messing with bidding on ebay. They are next in line when they arrive. Yes, I am building some 1/48th scale models - it's been about two decades since I have!

Thanks for checking in guys! - MT

0201181900a.jpg

0127181215b.jpg

0201181858a.jpg

0201181859.jpg

0201181859a.jpg

So I primed and filled and sanded ad nauseum until I was happy enough with the build to proceed.

Not sure what's going on in the image below.  Anyone have a guess?

27336590_1176402695828442_33878455732580

Preshading is complete.  I did the usual black preshading with some white panels picked out here and there.  The upper panels I picked out where made more "stark" whereas the underside panels where just lightened a bit.  I also whitened the area in the fuselage just in front of the vertical stabilizer as well as the top of said stabilizer.  I think this will give a bit of depth or weight like any pseudo-zenithal painting.

27750544_1176402685828443_53885321892505
27459243_1176402692495109_70311539594483

Next up will be some work on the engine exhaust, more masking and some work on the ordnance.  Comments and criticisms welcome.

Kenny

new brotherInLaw got me a Lego SW set for Xmas... LOL... looks like fun actually, haven't touched a Lego since grade school so hey, why not.  Also 1/2 price Enterprise E from Diamond Select Toys for my desk at work. Detailing it up with some Flory's at the moment... not bad for $35! I couldn't make a model look that good with lights and sound for $35! That being said I wouldn't pay full price for one... 

20180202_150933.jpg

20180202_150833.jpg

20180202_150843.jpg

Thanks everyone, those comments have encouraged me to want to take on some more projects, I have a bunch of Macross kits still boxed up, I need to make some time for those too. 

I see lots of other great builds in progress, looking forward to more pics! 

One more of the Raptor! :D

IMG_0342-001.JPG

The paint is looking good Zombie. The colors on the ordinance will make it look more realistic.

Derex, you scored on that one! The lining will help it stand out nicely.

Brett, I didn't realize how small the Elysium kit is, but you're making it look great!

505, the natural light makes it look much better! I'm actually picking times of the day to do certain things because I find the natural light makes certain things stand out better.

The Tequila Gunner's gun barrels were both horrible. The smaller, auxiliary cannon had a ejection mark right into the barrel. So the easiest thing was to lathe a new one. It has a 1/16" bore that I rammed a smaller Dremmel bit into to create rifling. Same thing with the main gun. It was actually squarish or oval depending on what part of it you looked at. So I machined a new one for it too. I also made it a little longer. Likewise, I also made rifling marks inside of it too. Nearly done with the construction parts now. - MT

0204181338a.jpg

0203181526.jpg

0203181810b.jpg

0203181930a.jpg

0204181313.jpg

0204181315.jpg

59 minutes ago, MechTech said:

The Tequila Gunner's gun barrels were both horrible. The smaller, auxiliary cannon had a ejection mark right into the barrel. So the easiest thing was to lathe a new one. It has a 1/16" bore that I rammed a smaller Dremmel bit into to create rifling. Same thing with the main gun. It was actually squarish or oval depending on what part of it you looked at. So I machined a new one for it too. I also made it a little longer. Likewise, I also made rifling marks inside of it too. Nearly done with the construction parts now. - MT

Turning your own barrels? That totally next level - right on MT!

-Brett

Edited by Return To Kit Form

On ‎2‎/‎2‎/‎2018 at 1:22 PM, derex3592 said:

new brotherInLaw got me a Lego SW set for Xmas... LOL... looks like fun actually, haven't touched a Lego since grade school so hey, why not.  Also 1/2 price Enterprise E from Diamond Select Toys for my desk at work. Detailing it up with some Flory's at the moment... not bad for $35! I couldn't make a model look that good with lights and sound for $35! That being said I wouldn't pay full price for one... 

20180202_150833.jpg

That's an awesome deal!  And glad to see you got the "fixed" version.  I actually have two of those, because the first one I bought was a very different paint job, and left out a ton of details, including the entire underside of the ship, a bunch of the escape pods, and the blue panels on the engines weren't even transparent or lit.  I still intend to repaint that one actually, because it's still a huge improvement over the old AMT kits.  It just needs a lot of love and care.

On 2/5/2018 at 1:07 AM, Hervé said:

final steps for a 1/48 Fw-190D9 from Eduard:

Really nice paint scheme Herve!

19 hours ago, Thom said:

For me, I have this old flying disc...

Which kit is that Thom? 

The 190 is looking great Herve!

My next two vintage victims came in! I actually had a choice of two "Native Dancers" so I picked the cheaper one with a dirty box. Mandarake is SO cool to shop on! I built both models when I was a LOT younger! I forgot how advanced the Ironfoot kit is complete with various shaped PC parts for articulation and several cool details like a full cockpit and all the missiles being separate and removable. I'm thinking of lighting the "headlights" and cockpit. Did anyone every use the TINY lead tube of glue that came with these things:huh: - MT

0206181808a.jpg

7 hours ago, MechTech said:

The 190 is looking great Herve!

My next two vintage victims came in! I actually had a choice of two "Native Dancers" so I picked the cheaper one with a dirty box. Mandarake is SO cool to shop on! I built both models when I was a LOT younger! I forgot how advanced the Ironfoot kit is complete with various shaped PC parts for articulation and several cool details like a full cockpit and all the missiles being separate and removable. I'm thinking of lighting the "headlights" and cockpit. Did anyone every use the TINY lead tube of glue that came with these things:huh: - MT

0206181808a.jpg

I had an Iron foot back in the day. Back in 85 the local toy shop had all the Imai Macross kits and the Revel Rowboat heck ones. Along with all these. We just lapped them up, paper boy money spent as soon as we got it. 

Fyi the glue tubes were nasty then so 30 year later I cant see that they are like wine and have improved.

Edited by big F

3 hours ago, big F said:

10 hours ago, MechTech said:

My next two vintage victims came in! I actually had a choice of two "Native Dancers" so I picked the cheaper one with a dirty box. Mandarake is SO cool to shop on! I built both models when I was a LOT younger!

I had an Iron foot back in the day. Back in 85 the local toy shop had all the Imai Macross kits and the Revel Rowboat heck ones. Along with all these. We just lapped them up, paper boy money spent as soon as we got it. 

And we built them beautiful back in the 80s, didn't we? B)) 

I never used sandpaper or putty or anything. Just Xacto Knife and nasty Testors glue spilling everywhere. Then after hand painting the model, right out of the bottle without any solvents, I would eventually use it for target practice! 

9 hours ago, arbit said:

I never used sandpaper or putty or anything. Just Xacto Knife and nasty Testors glue spilling everywhere. Then after hand painting the model, right out of the bottle without any solvents, I would eventually use it for target practice! 

Minus the target practice, thats exactly it... Come to think of it did you used to live next door to me :lol::mellow:

Edited by big F

Ha ha ha! OK, my parents wouldn't let me have ANYTHING that resembled a weapon (because they knew me too well). BUT, my glue all over the place models got re-used to add more weapons onto some unsuspecting valkyrie kit or other Robotech kit. Today, EVERYBODY gets involved in model building in this house! (see attached) - MT

0207180930a.jpg

19 hours ago, arbit said:

15 hours ago, derex3592 said:

Sounds just about like every modeling experience I had as a kid in the 80s yes.... LOL 

HAHAHAHAHAHAHA!!! Yup, me too.  I still have my Tamiya 1/32 Tomcat from the 80's that my parents got me for my 12th birthday... but it looks like an 8 year old did it.

2 minutes ago, vincemoto7 said:

HAHAHAHAHAHAHA!!! Yup, me too.  I still have my Tamiya 1/32 Tomcat from the 80's that my parents got me for my 12th birthday... but it looks like an 8 year old did it.

Oh, I got this Tomcat, too. It was too huge. And sadly it was one of the first kits I used my new air brush on. It looked awful - and it did not make it through the 90s'. But I still find some parts of it every now and then and use them as painting samples. ;)