Whats Lying on your Workbench MK IV

Urashiman

10 hours ago, Nyankodevice said:

do they come big enough to handle my SDF-1? :ph34r:

On 11/2/2016 at 9:05 AM, Nyankodevice said:

a little show and tell... ;)

post-14728-0-68721900-1478113517_thumb.jpg post-14728-0-92213200-1478113519_thumb.jpg

I think one should be enough lol :p.

If it says "King Bong" on the bottom, its gotta be good!:D

Does it need power to levitate, or is that for rotation and lighting only?

The diorama is a good idea with that LCAC too! - MT

2 hours ago, MechTech said:

If it says "King Bong" on the bottom, its gotta be good!:D

Does it need power to levitate, or is that for rotation and lighting only?

The diorama is a good idea with that LCAC too! - MT

3 LCACs... one on the beach deflated and unloading, one incoming on the beach, one in trouble burning in the breakers with the destroids wading ashore

Since our town will be doing Trick or Treating tomorrow, we had to finish up all the costumes today. My son wasn't wearing his final shirt for test fitting, though. 

My Barad Dur costume slumped a bit after painting, but I think it's fun. Not sure if I'm going to bother with the balaclava, it's a little too tight for my comfort.

IMG_5030.JPG

IMG_5029.JPG

IMG_5026.JPG

5 hours ago, Kelsain said:

Since our town will be doing Trick or Treating tomorrow, we had to finish up all the costumes today. My son wasn't wearing his final shirt for test fitting, though. 

Looks like you guys are all ready to go. The Eye of Sauron looks great. Got an LED for it?

Make sure catwoman doesnt eat the candy all at once :)

Edited by arbit

It was a good night. Batman couldn't keep up with Catwoman & her friend though, so he and I slowly plodded through the neighborhood. I was worried he'd get all mad at me and demand that he should be Sauron, cuz that's what he does lately. Fortunately, he was not jealous at all, except maybe that I got more attention.

the glow sticks were a bit of a let down though. You could only really see it once it got really dark and we got away from the street lamps. I also got snagged in a few trees...

Final assemblies for the boy and me:

IMG_5032.JPG

IMG_5033.JPG

Edited by Kelsain

On 10/25/2017 at 3:55 AM, wmkjr said:

I think one should be enough lol :p.

You lucky bastage!! And I don't mean the model! Please tell me she watches Macross with you... Nice model though. Awesome big.

On 10/25/2017 at 10:55 PM, Kelsain said:

My Barad Dur costume slumped a bit after painting, but I think it's fun. Not sure if I'm going to bother with the balaclava, it's a little too tight for my comfort.

IMG_5030.JPG

IMG_5029.JPG

IMG_5026.JPG

Awesome costumes, both you and the kids!

Progress on my Garfish. Finished drilling and customizing for the lighting, and began pinning and putty. (Using Diluted White Putty, seems good). The final two halves wont get putty because fiber needs to be installed after painting in this case (typical sacrifices needed for wiring), so I have made them as perfect a fit as I can for final step of pinning and super glue. 

59f306ab531db_2017-10-2714_03_06.thumb.jpg.c1d23570ba219a4a06e82fd6b2c07b0d.jpg

Nadia and Jean are back with a white base coat, after stripping and repriming. None the worse for wear, expect that I still dont know how to paint, as you can see (why do I get that rough grainy texture?). This time I plan to gloss the entire figures to avoid peeling problems during masking. 

59f306f2a9cdc_2017-10-2521_57_24.thumb.jpg.aeaf5bd60759e73300135e3421d08508.jpg59f306faefb56_2017-10-2521_55_59.thumb.jpg.c3e01a965c6ccec83e579f25616b3890.jpg

I had to have a break from the Okto modeling, so I decided that I could make some improvements to the Workroid ... then I spent more time to make a few variants of the destroid. And well, working on 4 variants now! 

More detail soon !

PS: At this point, I can take any advice or details about how the pilot enters / exit the Cheyenne. I know there is a trap on the left side, but I would love the exit from the head as described below.

03Q_V2_bD.png

03Q_V2_HEAD.png

Nice work on the Garshish. As for painting figures, buy some cheap plastic action figures and practice on them. FSM also has a tutorial section on doing figure painting in their recent magazines.

The design of that Workroid is coming along too. Can't wait to see it in plastic.

5 hours ago, arbit said:

Nice work Thom. Will that be visible once you close it?

Don't know how much yet! Probably best to err on the side of 'yeah' and hope that even a third is visible at the end.;)

Edited by Thom

8 hours ago, Xigfrid said:

I had to have a break from the Okto modeling, so I decided that I could make some improvements to the Workroid ... then I spent more time to make a few variants of the destroid. And well, working on 4 variants now! 

More detail soon !

PS: At this point, I can take any advice or details about how the pilot enters / exit the Cheyenne. I know there is a trap on the left side, but I would love the exit from the head as described below.

03Q_V2_bD.png

03Q_V2_HEAD.png

What if the pilot is off centre and actually sitting under that hatch cover? You could still have the pilot seat rise up and out like on the Battroid mode Valks

22 hours ago, arbit said:

Nadia and Jean are back with a white base coat, after stripping and repriming. None the worse for wear, expect that I still dont know how to paint, as you can see (why do I get that rough grainy texture?). This time I plan to gloss the entire figures to avoid peeling problems during masking.

Wrong distance from subject? If I want a smooth finishing, I usually use Mr. Surfacer 1500 spray cans. A slightly wet coat evens out nicely. I don't seem to be able to get the same result with Tamiya's fine surface primer...

1 hour ago, Salamander said:

Wrong distance from subject? If I want a smooth finishing, I usually use Mr. Surfacer 1500 spray cans. A slightly wet coat evens out nicely. I don't seem to be able to get the same result with Tamiya's fine surface primer...

You're right. I didnt use a wet coat. I was trying to cloud the white base coat. And I am not sure how quickly I can build up layers safely with that approach. 

It's a matter of needing years of experience.

25 minutes ago, electric indigo said:

Better skip the primer and just lay on a base coat of white or grey paint with an airbrush, where you have more control and can get closer to the surface.

On resin?

8 hours ago, electric indigo said:

Yup. I do that all the time.

My God, you break all the rules!

My little Garfish submarine made it through some tricky wiring. Twenty lights in there.

59f61b7c9770e_2017-10-2922_12_07.thumb.jpg.5d27b233fad1473c48abf1524437f7a0.jpg

Edited by arbit