Whats Lying on your Workbench MK IV

Urashiman

On 9/10/2017 at 0:24 AM, derex3592 said:

Bandai 1/144 AT-AT complete. Tamiya snow effect, along with an old Micro Machine snow speeder I had from many  years ago, not perfectly scaled, but close enough! 

You need Luke hanging from the belly on a string with his light saber!

Finished Nausicaa with the Ohm some time back:

IMG_8712.jpg.5862ba1a95238fbf9c7887af35661187.jpg

And the Bertone Panther last week:

IMG_8713.jpg.5791cc3e188211ec9b88d0da800f0402.jpg

Looks pretty decent for a 50 year old kit with a mostly scratchbuilt interior (for which I had exactly one reference drawing). Surprisingly, the decals were a) still usable, b) reacted really well to MicroSet/Sol, and c) had white that was opaque enough to mostly hide the green paint below them.

I'm about to start a project, the Fold Booster I bought (used) for my YF-19 turns out to have non-functional LEDs and some sunburn. I've already disassembled it (thank god just screws, no glue) and probed it with a multimeter to check that the LEDs themselves are still good. 

Looks like it just needs wires replaced and a coat of paint. Might re-mold some of the transparent parts that are a little yellowed.

I guess it's not scratch-building, more of repair/re-building.

Edited by Sanity is Optional

7 hours ago, Sanity is Optional said:

I'm about to start a project, the Fold Booster I bought (used) for my YF-19 turns out to have non-functional LEDs and some sunburn. I've already disassembled it (thank god just screws, no glue) and probed it with a multimeter to check that the LEDs themselves are still good. 

Looks like it just needs wires replaced and a coat of paint. Might re-mold some of the transparent parts that are a little yellowed.

I guess it's not scratch-building, more of repair/re-building.

Cool. Show us the process. Good to know for others who might need to repair.

I assume there is some kind of logic chip inside because it has a led cycle. Did you check it?

5 minutes ago, arbit said:

Cool. Show us the process. Good to know for others who might need to repair.

I assume there is some kind of logic chip inside because it has a led cycle. Did you check it?

Here's some preliminary pictures. Unfortunately one of the plugs over the screws got a little damaged getting it out, so I'll have to cast a replacement molded off of the undamaged one.

l3JtuSp.jpg

RwEYxrF.jpg

I'll put together a list of the wire lengths, a connection diagram, and resistances of the LEDs (which appear to all be good still)

Imgur album: https://imgur.com/a/D7SBP

So much good work here.  I've been away for two weeks and missed so much! 

The concept behind this model was pretty simple - it's a late Mark (block 43) "Black Tiger" from the Space Battleship: Yamato universe. It's along the lines of the late model F-16s and Spitfires, who have the same basic resemblance to their earlier versions but more "warts" and different/fewer weapons. Similar to the Cosmo Zero build, I'm aiming to also make it a little less whimsical, for lack of a better term. It will also get proper American markings, not that U.N. garbage. It is based on the Bandai 1/100 EX-model kit.

I got rid of the "swoopy" vertical stabilizer and wingtips and added some antenna warts and auxiliary intakes:

No automatic alt text available.

Added a sensor boom and new armament bay:

Image may contain: drink and indoor

Deleted some cannons and filled in the main undercarriage bays (this will be an in-flight build):

New drop tanks, some canards, scratchbuilt pylons and wingtip rails and two types of scratchbuilt missiles:

Image may contain: shoes and outdoor

Image may contain: outdoor

Comments and criticisms welcome.

Kenny

Edited by Lt. Z0mBe

On 7/29/2017 at 1:22 PM, electric indigo said:

Viggen ready for the finishing touches

36245388685_eb683d640f_c.jpg

36203589576_346e2f8c96_c.jpg

WOW!  Absolutely stunning EI!!!  So clean and perfect flawless finish.  (sorry just catching up on all the smazing work over the summer on this thread - away with the family:P)

Currently working on my version of "ROM the Spaceknight". These pics are kinda out of date, as I killed down the scrollwork a bit by overcoating it with pearlescent white. I'm trying for a subtle effect on the armor, as it's a compilation of the "best of" features from the 70's toy, 80's comic and the new IDW version.

Proto in tape:

105_0026.thumb.JPG.c04c3a77688fde024f03456440e5b003.JPG

"First colors":

105_0028.JPG

105_0029.JPG

105_0030.JPG

105_0031.JPG

And of course, helmet off:

105_0032.thumb.JPG.6feeb394c7dc461e464d770220b9fea1.JPG

105_0033.thumb.JPG.31a90f4516e311db6fb032dc947d77f6.JPG

The base figure is an old ToyBiz LoTR Aragorn,  with a "shave" and some repainting of the face to represent ROM"s original human form (I checked the old comics for that one). I want the armor to kind of reflect the old medieval knights armor, but at the same time be true to ROM's. The one concession i had to do was on the eyes, as our apartment is small and she REALLY doesn't like the red eyes on the original. So, to keep peace, I changed them to blue.

(I have an "insert" I'm working on for photography for the figure, to put over the eyes and sensors on the armor).

Stay tuned folks...

Edited by pengbuzz

Awesome job on ROM! He is one of my favorite characters. I think the original Marvel comics are very underrated. I wasn't too impressed by the artwork in the new IDW books though.

Anyway, love to see ROM getting some attention! Can't wait to watch him come together!

Great stuff guys all the way around. I've been missing out!

I was busy prepping for the Andrews Airshow for two weeks prior and recovering last week! It was worth it though! https://www.facebook.com/paxmuseum/

So the problem I've been having is machining things on the mill and I can't cut parts off cleanly. Dremel bits are too flimsy and don't cut straight. So I realized I need a jeweler's slitting saw. But the Sherline arbor is $50 before you buy the blades and it is too short! So I machined a $2.50 bolt (actually 2 because I blew the first try) and made one today. It is tapered to fit into the mill where a draw bolt holds it in place. Now I can cut slits in brass to make props and cut model parts more accurately. The blade is as thin as Xacto's thin razor saws.

Next step is to finish the boat and the Nausicaa's Gunship. - MT

0925171845a.jpg

0925171844.jpg

8 hours ago, MechTech said:

I was busy prepping for the Andrews Airshow for two weeks prior and recovering last week! It was worth it though!

Of course, a Macross fan needs to actually work at the Airshow! 

The airshow was great! Most of the people I was with were Navy/exNavy. We all agreed the F-22 Raptor put on the best show by far. What else can flip head-over heels and then go Mach 2? It was so humid that you could see the transonic shock cone forming over it on the high speed pass. It was also the loudest hands down!

That looks great Pegbuzz! I never saw ROM, but your details help make him convincing. - MT

That's an impressive video.  I half expected it to go from fighter-to-battroid!

I've got an update on my Black Tiger - Block 43.  Here's my post from SSM:

It seems like there's been a lot of work for such a small update.

Finished scribing on the underwing pylons and drop tanks:

I had a problem trying to add the exhaust nozzle assembly. I tried to add the assembled and preshaded assembly so that masking would be a bit easier later. However, the ventral stabilizers cracked and when I tried to back the assembly off, one completely snapped off and took half of the nozzle with it:

Here you can see I've got it all re-assembled, trimmed a bit for installation and back to its old self:

The wingtip rails were a lot of trouble to get their seams filled properly as well as their panel lines scribed. But, they're nicely in place along with their antennae and sensors:

Got a lot of re-scribing done on the bottom of the wings. Some lines had to be re-scribed following filling of the wing-fuselage seam and the wingtip rail seam:

That's all I've got for now. Next up is a bit of preshading on the exhaust nozzle and scrbing in the undercarriage doors and RCS thrusters. Comments and criticisms welcome.

Kenny

Thanks Arbit! Yep, it was so noisy the engine sound blocks out most of the PA system sound in the video when it flies nearby.

That looks good so far Zombie! I have the 1/350th Yamato and the Tigers are my favorite. They just look like they could actually fly. The other craft look too small to even fit pilots in.

I was hoping to have a machined gun barrel for my ship model, but had some issues with the thin material bending. Trying another way. - MT

I found a cheap solution for bases to hold my electronics, as custom building bases turned out to be a pain in the rear.

These bases on ebay come in different sizes and they are thick enough to take all the electronics inside. I unscrewed the cover and ripped out all the internal wiring, and kept it hollow for my stuff.

59d35dd21bb30_s-l1600(7).thumb.jpg.595425bb4e1e5fe295645ea84871cbc7.jpg59d35dd5c4633_s-l1600(6).jpg.cad4ed9f1e846da9279e67e6ef4df573.jpg

Remodelling the old Palitoy, Action Man, Multi Terrain Vehicle. Think the 12" GI Joe called it the same too.

As I have custom made 1/12 scale Action Man/Joe figures, well be nice to reuse some of the old hardware and rescale interior for the little guys.

Actually Fits better too.

This could work nicely for Macross/Mospeada too moreso when the Sentinel 1/12 arrives :D

zzzzzmtv.jpg

zzzzzmtv1.jpg

zzzzzmtv3.jpg

zzzzzmtv4.jpg

zzzzzmtv5.jpg

3 hours ago, teckno viking said:

Remodelling the old Palitoy, Action Man, Multi Terrain Vehicle. Think the 12" GI Joe called it the same too.

As I have custom made 1/12 scale Action Man/Joe figures, well be nice to reuse some of the old hardware and rescale interior for the little guys.

Actually Fits better too.

This could work nicely for Macross/Mospeada too moreso when the Sentinel 1/12 arrives :D

zzzzzmtv.jpg

zzzzzmtv1.jpg

zzzzzmtv3.jpg

zzzzzmtv4.jpg

zzzzzmtv5.jpg

OMG!!!11!

We had one of those in yellow. But since GI Joe had migrated to the 3.75" figures by the time my brother and I became interested, my Dad retrofitted the interior with 2 decks & 1/18 scale chairs & consoles. He cut & carved them all out of wood & painted them too. 

OK, and now I'm getting teary thinking of that. Last night I found out that he has cancer...

Edited by Kelsain

17 minutes ago, Kelsain said:

OMG!!!11!

We had one of those in yellow. But since GI Joe had migrated to the 3.75" figures by the time my brother and I became interested, my Dad retrofitted the interior with 2 decks & 1/18 scale chairs & consoles. He cut & carved them all out of wood & painted them too. 

OK, and now I'm getting teary thinking of that. Last night I found out that he has cancer...

I am Sorry to hear that Kelsain.
I Hope they are successful in fighting the Cancer/ removing it for your Father. 
Had Cancer hit my family a few times with losses but there are success stories out there.

Wishing the best news for your father, your family and you.

As for the MTV, Oh yeah at 1/18 scale this truly would have been a huge beast! I thought it Looked a beast for my custom 1/12 lol

3 hours ago, teckno viking said:

I am Sorry to hear that Kelsain.
I Hope they are successful in fighting the Cancer/ removing it for your Father. 
Had Cancer hit my family a few times with losses but there are success stories out there.

Wishing the best news for your father, your family and you.

As for the MTV, Oh yeah at 1/18 scale this truly would have been a huge beast! I thought it Looked a beast for my custom 1/12 lol

Thanks.

It sounds like his prognosis is decent, and his oncologist is supposedly pretty positive about it. I also lost my father-in-law to prostate cancer a little over a year ago, so hearing the news that my Dad also had it was pretty jarring. The FiL's was a very nasty type, though, which had already metastasized before it was even diagnosed. Seems like my Dad's is a little more vanilla, but still very scary. And now I have to start thinking more about mine too.

Dad was always doing stuff like that for us as kids: Helping with custom paint jobs, customizing & repurposing other toys, making stop-motion movies with our toys while we slept. Once he brought home a giant 8' long cardboard box, and we made our own USS Flagg. He did some stupid things later and broke the family, but growing up; he was pretty much the best Dad ever.

Heh, sorry - a bit off topic. Like I said, it's a little fresh. 

I'll try and get some photos of my current, non-Macross related project on here shortly,.

Edited by Kelsain

4 hours ago, Kelsain said:

Thanks.

It sounds like his prognosis is decent, and his oncologist is supposedly pretty positive about it. I also lost my father-in-law to prostate cancer a little over a year ago, so hearing the news that my Dad also had it was pretty jarring. The FiL's was a very nasty type, though, which had already metastasized before it was even diagnosed. Seems like my Dad's is a little more vanilla, but still very scary. And now I have to start thinking more about mine too.

Dad was always doing stuff like that for us as kids: Helping with custom paint jobs, customizing & repurposing other toys, making stop-motion movies with our toys while we slept. Once he brought home a giant 8' long cardboard box, and we made our own USS Flagg. He did some stupid things later and broke the family, but growing up; he was pretty much the best Dad ever.

Heh, sorry - a bit off topic. Like I said, it's a little fresh. 

I'll try and get some photos of my current, non-Macross related project on here shortly,.

I love these old toys, they bring back some awesome memories.  I wish I still had them to pass on to my son but when your 10 years old you don't think about that kinda of stuff.

He sounds like a really cool dad, Kelsain.  Stay positive and he'll beat it.