Whats Lying on your Workbench MK IV

Urashiman

3 hours ago, derex3592 said:

wow! I don't know what it is, but great paint job!!! 

I don't know about it being sad, but Nausicaa is one of the best 80's anime movies IMO. Its worth watching.

Has a nice music sound track as well of which "Awakening the God Warrior" or " Resurrection of the God Warrior" was my fave.

My drying bench, this metallic blue is gorgeous, but my paint job is meh... and I just keep forgetting to let the gloss coat dry for at least 24h before assembly. Luckily the paint chips are small and in the insides. 

The VF-1x++ also got some gunmetal accents on the wings and nose to complete the look. It holds well the gunpods for a speed racer ;)

IMG_2165.JPG

14 hours ago, Xigfrid said:

My drying bench, this metallic blue is gorgeous, but my paint job is meh... and I just keep forgetting to let the gloss coat dry for at least 24h before assembly. Luckily the paint chips are small and in the insides. 

I think its the texture of your 3D printing that is giving paint issues. We need a solution for that. I am not good at such fine sanding. 

When I did the VF-1X++  head unit by kurisma, it was printed in FUD and Still have to do sand/prime cycle a lot (wet sand after the first few heavy sanding) until I was satisfied with the finish. I painted it with AS tamiya spray can which dry to satin or matte finish and there are still some area that gets highlighted. I agree with Arbit, what makes that paintjob meh are the lines produced by the process of 3D printing.

Well... since my last massive failure with my AT-AT.. grrr..... and getting the fiancé moved in and alllll that that entails, my model time lately  has been exactly zero, however!, I had a few minutes the other day to start decals on my low-viz 31...I don't really know where I'm going with this, just kind of having fun and not caring... 

20170712_065627.jpg

3 hours ago, arbit said:

Derex, Nice clean finish. Looks ready for the wash.

I guess that wont be transforming ever again.

thanks, yeh, this one will stay in fighter mode, got my Messer 1/60 DX to transform!

Looking great Gabe Q! 

Edited by derex3592

My latest project: Monogram's 1/48 F-16-

101_1385.thumb.JPG.d5a81434414b5f97b01e94b7cd80b358.JPG101_1376.thumb.JPG.113d49512e8ffa43d23fccaf5b139146.JPG101_1384.thumb.JPG.d9d9f9f14f96b6740c919953318e85b2.JPG101_1386.thumb.JPG.14eda0077fa802131069e5d87aa1f4b3.JPG101_1387.thumb.JPG.5a0b5f3bc0e414d4d5250ce6cc624501.JPG

Yeah, it doesn't transform. But I wanted something a bit simpler after the SDF-1 and the Zentraedi battleship, and this was a bit of "mindless fun", if you will. I messed up the "USAF" on the top right wing and had to stencil the decal back in by hand (that was a literal pain!). Everything on the paint job before decals was hand-brushed, so it looks...well... streaky (not to mention a light wash that decided to be stubborn in it's removal phase!).

At least it isn't brown...  :p

Edited by pengbuzz

On 13/07/2017 at 9:07 PM, electric indigo said:

I think there's less discussion than on the hull color of the TOS Enterprise, so plain white will do (though I'm no authority on that matter).

-

Updating the Viggen cockpit

35895304335_9f0713c523_z.jpg

35725983122_2262a48a9f_z.jpg

Seeing as you where the only person who answered me I will take your advice and blame you if its wrong ;)

Thanks 

On 7/13/2017 at 5:12 AM, latheboy said:

So this is what I'm working on, I need some help with the final color though .. I know its white but Is it an off white or something?

IMG_20170713_130818.jpg

Just plain white will do ^_^

On 14/07/2017 at 10:35 AM, pengbuzz said:

My latest project: Monogram's 1/48 F-16-101_1387.thumb.JPG.5a0b5f3bc0e414d4d5250ce6cc624501.JPG

Everything on the paint job before decals was hand-brushed, so it looks...well... streaky (not to mention a light wash that decided to be stubborn in it's removal phase!).

Red (and yellow:() are notoriously hard to get right when handbrushing them...even with a backing coat. I think it looks quite good.

Edited by Salamander

15 minutes ago, Salamander said:

Base drybrushing finished + layer of Tamiya Smoke in guise of clearcoat before washes + missiles and harpoons inserted:

Wash look great. How could you harpoon the Ohmu?

Try some metallic dry brushing on all the edges of the scales, bronze and steel and brass.

Of course I would put some leds in the eye holes ;)

Edited by arbit

Projectiles painted, blood added, washes done, eye socket masking removed, eyes in place:

IMG_8569.thumb.jpg.cf3866a9a408450852d41d6ddd1d7348.jpg

The camera flash brings out the aluminium background I used on the eye sockets, which combines nicely with how I painted the eye domes (clear orange + clear smoke light blue on the inside, clear blue on the outside). I's all a bit darker in normal light. I'm pretty psyched with how the eyes turned out - they look real:wub:. The different sized pupils and color differences are not a problem; the kit replicates the scene where Nausicaa's clothes are soiled by the dying Ohmu's blood after she calmed it down (eyes change from red to blue), and any creature with eyes with pupils will display uneven pupil sizes when dying. So this is more realistic.

(It's actually a bit strange Bandai chose to make the eyes similar to those found on vertebrates, considering the Ohmu's decidedly arthropod looks...)

Then I added the mouth tentacles:

IMG_8570.thumb.jpg.3969bdfc6da3e28e5ea13b802c41e147.jpg

Now to try arbit's suggestion for the metallic drybrushing...^_^

2 hours ago, Salamander said:

Now to try arbit's suggestion for the metallic drybrushing...^_^

Maybe Gunmetal? And some sand? I would try the underside first and see how it looks.

Looking fantastic! Really pops.

Edited by arbit

Your eyes are nice, and I know how difficult it is to paint clear parts from behind: this is only at the end, when you seal everything with the metallic coat that will act as a mirror for the previous layers that you know if you have failed or not.

Working on a "rescue" model: an F-14 Tomcat in 1/72 scale:

101_1392.thumb.JPG.f2ef5bc0278dc860c6735d0128d79e7a.JPG

Well, while stripping it down to soak in oven cleaner and prepping to make new decals, the canopy decided it was going to shatter on me, front windshield and all.

Great. And I just spent my budget on micro-sol. >:(

So, I'm trying to find a new one (both pieces actually). Meantime, I'm just gonna go ahead and get this stripped down. We'll see what happens from there.

Stay tuned folks (I HATE working with clear parts!!!)...

Edited by pengbuzz