Whats Lying on your Workbench MK IV

Urashiman

Xigfrid, you're a genius!

Here are the smallest components I could find for the motorized valk: 7mm height motor and 2mm height limit switches. This might actually be doable. 5939b1a824fbe_s-l1600(1).jpg.bd5d21ecfc48da822424788b8990f4b9.jpgs-l1600.thumb.jpg.9491bd289bb7177278b6e32cc96264ad.jpg

Screenshot 2017-06-12 22.48.35 b.png

Edited by arbit

4 hours ago, Xigfrid said:

A question though... what does it take to put 3 landing gears to the fan racer?!

It takes a real toy company.

UPDATE:

Booms are pretty much shaped. They just need some detailing and to have the final joint connection to the rest of the ship built-

101_1220.JPG

101_1221.JPG

101_1222.JPG

101_1223.JPG

101_1224.JPG

Yeah, they look massive; but better than than the anemic, wimpy ones it originally had. These put the "BOOM" into the booms.

Stay tuned folks...

Edited by pengbuzz

UPDATE: Final "sealing up" of booms to vessel took place today. Justwaiting for adhesives to dry before showing a full-on transformation. I also took the liberty of doing some detailing not only to the booms, but to Daedalus and Prometheus as well. Prometheus' flight deck was not at all accurate to the designs, while Daedalus' bridge "bar" needed to be hollowed out so it wasn't a "one piece" with the deck anymore:

101_1229.JPG

101_1230.JPG

101_1231.JPG

101_1233.JPG

101_1234.JPG

While the details are a bit exaggerated to scale at this point, as i sand, they will slowly get to the point where the lines are no longer valleys.I added a bridge and extension to Prometheus, as it had neither and the line art showed it having both.They aren't perfect (yet); as I go, it will be refined. I want to do the weathering for Prometheus like you'd find on a modern carrier, and perhaps focus on weathering Daedalus like a modern nuclear sub. The overall paint job for the entire model, I'm going to be doing a bit differently than most would think.

Stay tuned...

Edited by pengbuzz

2 hours ago, Kelsain said:

She's looking great, dude!

Thanks! :D Here's a current progress shot:

101_1240.thumb.JPG.b31fd05527299d80582384f505679857.JPG

I just redid the feet last night: that required cutting the 4 "corners" off the feet, grinding both the insides of the corners and where they meet the rest of the foot down, then re-gluing them as close as possible to to the correct positions.It was kind of a pain, but the results were worth it!

Right now, I'm working on making the 4 rail gun turrets (shoulder emplacements) positionable, so they can face forward in cruiser mode. After that, it's on to the head where it needs the transparent bubble and antennae (both will be made using "heat and smash" for the bubble and sprue stretching for the antennae). Once that's done, super-detailing the hull and seam clean-up.

Stay tuned folks...

That SDF-1 is coming along nicely Pengbuzz!

For those of you in the U.S., I found some great LED tape that is only 5mm (about 3/16") wide with a surface mount LED every 2cm or about 1" apart. It has a peel off tape backing and only runs on 3 volts! The best part, it is on printed circuit tape and is 2.4 meters (7.9 feet) long (not clumsy wrapped wire). It comes with a A battery pack too. The warm white makes them perfect for carrier or hanger styled scenes and lighting. These are only about 3mm or 1/8" thick too. They will hardly take up any room. The tape color comes in white, chrome and a blackish chrome color too. Michael's has them on sale for only $6.00. Almost 8 feet of tiny LED tape for 6 bucks! The name of the attached file is also their UPC code. Oddly enough, I couldn't find it online, so it may be in-store only. Back to schoolwork... - MT

No 886946207761.jpg

20 minutes ago, MechTech said:

That SDF-1 is coming along nicely Pengbuzz!

For those of you in the U.S., I found some great LED tape that is only 5mm (about 3/16") wide with a surface mount LED every 2cm or about 1" apart. It has a peel off tape backing and only runs on 3 volts! The best part, it is on printed circuit tape and is 2.4 meters (7.9 feet) long (not clumsy wrapped wire). It comes with a A battery pack too. The warm white makes them perfect for carrier or hanger styled scenes and lighting. These are only about 3mm or 1/8" thick too. They will hardly take up any room. The tape color comes in white, chrome and a blackish chrome color too. Michael's has them on sale for only $6.00. Almost 8 feet of tiny LED tape for 6 bucks! The name of the attached file is also their UPC code. Oddly enough, I couldn't find it online, so it may be in-store only. Back to schoolwork... - MT

No 886946207761.jpg

Nice find, MT! I might consider that for one of my dioramas (the carrier launch one comes to mind). I just found this the other day at a second: hand craft supply st101_1244.thumb.JPG.2cfae6ec1ef61d70539e2d70538b6ce4.JPGore:

It thickened up, so it's no longer much good for airbrushing; I tried it with a brush and it works beautifully! I'm planning on doing lights on the Macross once it's painted up, and that should save on battery power. :D

3 hours ago, Xigfrid said:

Pengbuzz, the arms came nice, Arbit is this motorized yet? 

Both of you I admire that white paint work... last time I tried white I failed so hard ;P

Xigfrid, you dont know failed white paint till you see mine.

It is motorized, you can see on my youtube page. Electronics will be re-installed after finishing the painting,

Edited by arbit

47 minutes ago, Nyankodevice said:

are the white details something you are gonna paint on yours?

No, those are styrene custom details I have already added and painted in the photos above. That's just how I planned them out.

They are based on the old J-Factory resin kit.

Edited by arbit

6 hours ago, arbit said:

No, those are styrene custom details I have already added and painted in the photos above. That's just how I planned them out.

They are based on the old J-Factory resin kit.

looks good Arbit B))

24 minutes ago, Nyankodevice said:

looks good Arbit B))

Nothing compared to you masters. But i tried to go light with the airbrush and mist on the coats. I wanted to keep some of the pre-shading. Not sure if I did it right. But maybe the gloss coat will bring it to life.

Currently working on Fan Racer Mk III (my own) and this is a KO kit I got from Taobao and its been a PITA. Stuff doesnt fit too well, getting the canopy to close was a task, lots of puttying and sanding and re-sanding... I hate sanding :lol:... but i think it will look good once its finished. 

54AAE905-8888-4382-81E8-B5984BFA88D8.jpg

Edited by anubis20

10 minutes ago, anubis20 said:

Currently working on Fan Racer Mk III (my own) and this is a KO kit I got from Taobao and its been a PITA. Stuff doesnt fit too well, getting the canopy to close was a task, lots of puttying and sanding and re-sanding... I hate sanding :lol:... but i think it will look good one its finished. 

It gets everywhere!

Edited by Kelsain

Teeny, tiny update:

I couldn't find the radar mast in the kit for the SDF_1 Macross (probably went missing a long time ago before Kelsain ever got the kit himself). Anyways, some stretched sprue, glue, and a LOT of determination, pati9ence, and profanity later ( :p ), I managed to get something that kinda resembles it:

101_1252.JPG

101_1253.JPG

Not the prettiest in the world, but hey, at this scale, I'm lucky to do any fine work. Pepsi cans for fingers, ya know.

101_1256.thumb.JPG.9840967f8aadb624eaa53b39eba6820f.JPG

Stay tuned... (now with radar!)...

Edited by pengbuzz

Got the clear coat down on the deck. Thats my Humbrol clear in light coats.

The hull is ready for its clear coat.

Engine color matching test is good enough for me.

59428f1734214_2017-06-1514_42_55.thumb.jpg.94b29ab304694c8b422e9463237c52b1.jpg59428f5770569_2017-06-1514_45_17.thumb.jpg.6608c30ad326e1ec6abdf355b719c5b8.jpg

18 hours ago, Thom said:

I like it, PB. You do what you want and you get the job DUN!

The last pic looks like a homage to the Star Trek ep with the hand. ;)

Can't wait to see her transform.

lol Yeah; it's just showing how big my mitts are.

I'll have pics in a day or so. Got a nasty stomach bug that had me vomiting up my entire digestive system. I still feel like utter crap. :(

Okay...cruiser mode:101_1257.thumb.JPG.0b950fe19869a5c66c7db7bb24bb92e5.JPG101_1258.thumb.JPG.bef48066d44c99f69a30444d694d3c00.JPG101_1259.thumb.JPG.920e895fd50e4427154abeabf470423b.JPG101_1260.thumb.JPG.4a7834ce1606aab89b21ac2559d78fef.JPG

You can see on the last pic the "frame" that I had to build to enable it to transform. Unfortunately, there was just no good way to really disguise it at this scale, as it would require the legs to slide up (or the chest thrusters to slide down), and it was already getting kind of "fiddly" in that area. The hips snapped off twice before I finally gave in and simply glued them into a fixed position.

Another limitation is the arms: they are by necessity longer in the elbow mountings than the actual ship. I didn't want to keep tearing up the plastic with continual modifications, having learned my lesson with the VF-1S model. So, I settled for this. For any artwork in Photoshop, I can simply edit out the frame and shorten the arms as needed.

Finally: the halves of the bridge don't separate and slide to either side. I couldn't figure out a decent looking way to do that which wouldn't break about every 2-3 transforms.

(Makes me wonder if Capt. Global ever had thoughts like that? "Hmm...we should transform to attack mode, but is the ship gonna break again? Hikaru had to go run and get the radar mast for the third time this week!")

Stay tuned...