Whats Lying on your Workbench MK IV

Urashiman

Tamiya clear coats are a synthetic lacquer which while safe to use on acrylics can re-activate solvent based enamels.

9 hours ago, Xigfrid said:

Thank you, I would really like to make better paint job but spray cans only are allowed in the house ;)

Well, I've been able to get pretty decent paint jobs out of the "rattle cans" myself. I don't know if you mentioned it earlier, but what issues are you having now with your paint?

37 minutes ago, Xigfrid said:

I would like to make thin paint layers ala airbrush but most of the time spray cans just make them thicker than expected. Fortunately tamiya sprays self level when drying. 

I've run into that with most cans myself. I found that Krylon works better than most when it comes to paint thickness. That said, I usually work in 3 layers, standing a little farther away from the piece so that I'm not piling so much paint onto it.

2 hours ago, Xigfrid said:

I would like to make thin paint layers ala airbrush but most of the time spray cans just make them thicker than expected. Fortunately tamiya sprays self level when drying. 

Do you warm up the cans before you spray?

i put my Tamiya spray cans in the sunshine fora couple of minutes when possible. It helps things greatly, Don't however get the bright idea to sit them on a lightbulb....i did that and forgot to remove it when the phone rang...LOL..almost had a disastrous outcome 

You can put it in water that's hot enough on your hand for a couple of minutes too. Definately not the oven and not too hot. 

Edited by wmkjr

That is a "finger LED" that you can buy in a 5-pack at the dollar store. As for my computer: been waiting on a friend to ship me Norton Ghost so I can clone my hard drive. UPS has it scheduled for Thursday delivery, after which I'm hoping to have my PC back up.

Yeah, it's been WAY too long. And I miss being able to do artwork on my computer. Not to mention I still need to get you the artwork I promised bro. :)

9 hours ago, Big s said:

Dude, pengbuzz. When I said keep up the crazy I would never have expected that.

Its now just absolutely epic.

Now you just gotta fit a sound system.

Okay...what sounds am I looking to put in btw? O.o

Ho... nice little thing! 

I have a question, generally for white i would stick with the White fine Primer as base and apply 2 gloss coat and call it a day. Unfortunately I am trying to color match the somewhat bright and pinkish white from yamato/Arcadia and found that the primer color is more in the yellowish compared to that white. 

I was wondering if I should go with Tamiya Ts-27 or this one will not be as near as VF-1 white? Or if I should reprint the whole Vf-1 in white primer...

I'd say primer and paint the whole thing to make it uniform. More work to do but I say if you put in all that effort to make those parts, you might as well go all the way to make it really stand out.

You're just trying to color match the head and rear leg parts only correct? Would spraying a red base then fine layers of white over it give it that pinkish hue?  

I have been trying to make a few layers of white wash on these, probably I can try to add some red in it. 

I think I will give a try to the ts-27 first then probably the easiest way is to have the head and rear leg parts to be a light grey instead of white

Edited by Xigfrid

Just out of curiosity, do your parts on the legs mount at different angles than the original super packs?  I only ask because the profile shot from a couple pages ago looks like everything is sitting at a slightly different angle, with the legs bending downwards a little. 

The whole thing looks absolutely amazing though.  One of these days I'm going to have to bite the bullet and get a stereo lithography printer and really go to town on making custom parts.

I do wish the material Shapeways uses was more friendly to finishing though, that stuff is really hard to sand.