Whats Lying on your Workbench MK IV

Urashiman

On 03/04/2017 at 4:15 AM, Thom said:

It's actually brass! But gold was what i was looking for and it fits the looks just fine.

As for brand, it's Model Master Brass laquer, non-buffing metalizer. For airbrush only, it says on the label.

tesr2317.jpg

Very appreciated, guess I should try it even if I am planning to use a classic brush!

2 hours ago, MechTech said:

That illustration looks great Pengbuzz!

Which kit is that Electric Indigo? - MT

Thanks!

Meantime, been trying to resist weathering, modifying or even thinking of changing anything about my VF-1J:

101_0944.thumb.JPG.d6426fda63d63193fb0f233537c2137e.JPG101_0947.thumb.JPG.1e717403645e80760fefe1daa3d7b368.JPG

Of course, out of boredom, I put three of my collectibles from the 80's together:

101_0948.thumb.JPG.a988892b9ced3f778bfed822444443ce.JPG

But of course, out of boredom, they began to chat amongst themselves...

101_0949.thumb.JPG.52323256b399215d27a886b69054693a.JPG

Meantime (in all seriousness), I'm considering selling the "battle fortress" I kludged together. Stay tuned on that one...

Edited by pengbuzz

11 hours ago, pengbuzz said:

Meantime, been trying to resist weathering, modifying or even thinking of changing anything about my VF-1J:

Looks great Pengbuzz. Very sleek.

Fianally making some progress on my Nautilus after endless studying, thinking, measuring, re-measuring, stressing, anxiety-ing, and generally procrastinating.

58e6664aa8bfc_2017-04-0619_39_13.thumb.jpg.38488289f65ce7ca6db31258034abcae.jpg

Edited by arbit

1 hour ago, electric indigo said:

Arbit, are you familiar with Dorobou's build of the Nautilus?

http://dorobou.blog.so-net.ne.jp/2015-01-13

Yes sir. I reference it regularly. He knows what he's doing... I don't. However, Mechtech and I came up with the solution before seeing Dorobou.

Also, by using Arduino, the electronics are much easier than the home made electronic boards he uses. 

Edited by arbit

That's cool Electric Indigo. I had the kit they did of the giant flamethrower from 88 or 89? It was a great big expensive kit! I also didn't have a family to feed then:D

The Mistrel is looking good Herve!

You can do it Arbit! - MT

So I decided to start the q-rau. I haven't  gotten too far yet, just the feet. But man, what's up with the plastic they used? One of the foot mounts broke and I can't get it to stick together with anything I have. Ca, epoxy, even tried to encase it with aves, but nothing will adhere to the break.

On 4/6/2017 at 4:13 AM, Hervé said:

Hello,

still working on my 1/48 Mistel 1.  The Ju-88 is completed :

gf123FA183-5152-48E0-B3AB-CC1DE6CEF51D.jpg

And the paintjob on the Bf-109F-4 will start sooen :

Great progress on that. Those always look so weird!

On 4/6/2017 at 0:01 PM, arbit said:

Fianally making some progress on my Nautilus after endless studying, thinking, measuring, re-measuring, stressing, anxiety-ing, and generally procrastinating.

I remember watching the first Nadia. Never saw the one with this ship. does it come with all the gear and electronics?

3 hours ago, NZEOD said:

after a break the VF-1 production line is back up and running

IMG_20170408_0853151_zps7yxavzgz.jpg

IMG_20170408_0853041_zpsijxzbav6.jpg

And the squadron is certainly coming together! Which one is it?

1 hour ago, Kelsain said:

So I decided to start the q-rau. I haven't  gotten too far yet, just the feet. But man, what's up with the plastic they used? One of the foot mounts broke and I can't get it to stick together with anything I have. Ca, epoxy, even tried to encase it with aves, but nothing will adhere to the break.

Try devcon plastic welder. I use it for all my work and it usually works. it's a two-part epoxy-like adhesive, but far stronger and not nearly as brittle.

4 hours ago, Thom said:

I remember watching the first Nadia. Never saw the one with this ship. does it come with all the gear and electronics?

This is the Neo Nautilus which appears in the last 5 episodes of the original Nadia TV... some of Gainax's best work. Yamato and Macross fans should get a kick out of it. Its a direct descendant.

Electronics dont come with the kit, if that's what you mean.  

Edited by arbit

4 hours ago, Thom said:

Great progress on that. Those always look so weird!

And the squadron is certainly coming together! Which one is it?

two with the EX cockpits are the Delta Trainer VFs, ones the Minmay 2009 special, ones the Angel Birds no.4, ones the 001 rollout special, ones the 30th Anniversary special

and there is one more for the 5000th special

The only Q rau kit I know of that's plastic was the Imai one bandai bought the old molds for reproduction. I think that was the one pictured and I had problems with joints breaking as well. My problem was the thigh mechanism. I was trying to line up the two halves of the upper leg and the inside joint broke. I think I remade it using a kotobukiya ball joint set and filled the upper leg with epoxy to hold in the poly cap and replaced the peg joint with the ball peg. 

I always had to do weird replacements on joints of kits from the old days, up until the  domtropen from gundam. That one I broke a shoulder peg and replaced it with a piece of sprue.

48 minutes ago, Big s said:

The only Q rau kit I know of that's plastic was the Imai one bandai bought the old molds for reproduction. I think that was the one pictured and I had problems with joints breaking as well. My problem was the thigh mechanism. I was trying to line up the two halves of the upper leg and the inside joint broke. I think I remade it using a kotobukiya ball joint set and filled the upper leg with epoxy to hold in the poly cap and replaced the peg joint with the ball peg. 

I always had to do weird replacements on joints of kits from the old days, up until the  domtropen from gundam. That one I broke a shoulder peg and replaced it with a piece of sprue.

Sounds mostly like just about every joint on my VF-1 Strike valk.

The thing is: depending upon the age of the kit, the quality and the formula used in the polystyrene for the parts and whether or not the kit was stored in relatively stable conditions (mine had a few parts break due to them being discolored by sunlight (UV). There's a lot of factors that can cause a part to give out, and it's usually at the worst time for it and the worst place on the model for it to happen.

But another issue can be the design of the part: some pieces don't have a lot of plastic to them to begin with. In those areas, they would probably be better served by replacing them with ABS (which Bandai still managed to screw up on their new version VF-1 series), rather than risk styrene's weaknesses. I've seen load/weight-bearing parts on kits look like someone took a power drill to the insides for whatever reason, while others you can understand why they were made that way.

Regardless, as you had to do Big s: replace, modify, rebuild and continue. Then we get a soda and some chips and complain on the boards about it! :D

unfortunately the 1/144 Q Rau's are virtually worthless, that's how I acquired so many for the Gimix city fight diorama, $6 each on Yahoo.jp

That's the first I've heard of issues with Bandai's plastic from those kits. Were the parts well washed? Maybe some wax got onto the joints preventing adhesion?

NEED YOUR HELP guys! FINALLY got to build something! These are ONLY THE TOP HALF of the 1/72 scale Mk-141 Harpoon launcher tubes. The older ships used them so I went with them for accuracy (of course they have WAAAAY more detail on them too versus the lightweight mounts which are smoother). I still have to build the bases. I can't decide whether to let them hang over the stern (back) or from the sides. What do you guys think?

Note the metal tube? You can guess whey it has to hang over the edge. These took a lot of work to get all aligned right with a depth gauge for placement and a jig to cut part of the braces.

Now I just have to get some tiny model rockets! - MT

0402170854c.jpg

0402170855.jpg

0408171339.jpg

0408171341d.jpg

0408171437.jpg

0409170850a.jpg

0409170851a.jpg

0409170852b.jpg

0409170852e.jpg

It's the bandai re-pop of the old imai queadluun rau that I'm working on. I'll see if I can find some plastic weld to fix it. It's just a little discouraging, because I've only gotten as far as the feet! If I can't find anything, I'm formulating an idea for a polycap replacement.

Im going to forego the cockpit gimmick and add articulation to the head sensor & bicep, if needed. I also figured that I'd replace the old hips with ball joints. I'll snap a few photos tomorrow.

8 hours ago, MechTech said:

That's the first I've heard of issues with Bandai's plastic from those kits. Were the parts well washed? Maybe some wax got onto the joints preventing adhesion?

NEED YOUR HELP guys! FINALLY got to build something! These are ONLY THE TOP HALF of the 1/72 scale Mk-141 Harpoon launcher tubes. The older ships used them so I went with them for accuracy (of course they have WAAAAY more detail on them too versus the lightweight mounts which are smoother). I still have to build the bases. I can't decide whether to let them hang over the stern (back) or from the sides. What do you guys think?

Note the metal tube? You can guess whey it has to hang over the edge. These took a lot of work to get all aligned right with a depth gauge for placement and a jig to cut part of the braces.

Now I just have to get some tiny model rockets! - MT

0402170854c.jpg

0402170855.jpg

0408171339.jpg

0408171341d.jpg

0408171437.jpg

0409170850a.jpg

0409170851a.jpg

0409170852b.jpg

0409170852e.jpg

I think from the stern looks better, JMO. BTW: that ship just rocks! :D

On 06/04/2017 at 6:01 PM, electric indigo said:

It's the '92 Volks kit from their Super Spirit Series. It's an original cast, but full of nice surprises.

33743837075_76058741fd_z.jpg

Ah yes, Volks and their excellently cast kits (except for the molding lines that show up in the most inconvenient of places). I would be interested in seeing how you tackle that.

On 6.4.2017 at 6:01 PM, arbit said:

Great - I like the N-Nautilus. I have it in my "need to be build someday" queue too. The kit is of really impressive quality. I am still busy building and doing paintjobs on alot of Warhammer 40K minifigs and a VF-1J in Kakizaki Colors... Too much to build, not enough time :S

IMG_5286.JPG

Thanks Pengbuzz! I'm thinking the stern too, plus the "blast zone" is farther back in the event of any issues.

Arbit, my favorite thin (solvent) cement is Microscale Micro Weld. The best part is it's solvent free and non-toxic. It has that citrus smell, BUT IS NOT like the other junk on the market that is non-toxc! It is just as strong and fast as the solvents and if you like all the Microscale decal chemicals, you'll love this stuff too (same bottles). You can use an old brush to apply it too. There are faster cements on the market, but you have to wear a mask with them and use on a windy day outside! My daughter and I found that out the hard way with Plastruct Plastic Weld. It is a neural toxin and kept my daughter and I awake all night after we built her first model. I tossed it the next day. Someone on the boards here was like, "Never use that stuff man!"

For superglue, long story, but the only stuff I could get locally overseas back in the day was Duro Superglue. So for superglue I use that. Plus it comes in 2 and 4 packs pretty cheap at hardware stores (blue and white label). The formula has remained consistent through the past 20 years or so I've been using it. I date the tubes so I keep my stock rotated.

For CA accelerator, I use Arm and Hammer baking soda (and it keeps the fridge fresh too):p Just put a little in a small bottle. I use a small soy sauce bottle like they used to give at sushi take out places and still sell in some sushi places. Whatever works for you. Just a little powder sprinkled into the joint and BAM! No stink and fumes. Then you can use it to build up and fill in gaps. My ship has places where the plastic was sanded away and only the glue and baking soda remain. It makes a stronger faster bond than stinky accelerator, its edible and CHEAP! Did I say it's strong?

I attached a photo from a tutorial I did four years ago so you can see what I mean. - MT

CIMG5771.JPG

Thanks. The reason I asked is because with moving parts and hitting micro switches, I need a stronger bond than a typical model. 

I guess your boat needs to be water-tight and strong for the water too.

So here's the foot of my Q-rau, as of yesterday.

First photo shows how the back half of the foot core piece has broken off. As I was preparing to take this photo, the broken bit was claimed by the Carpet Gods, never to be seen again.

So, second photo shows the fix I'm going for. I shaved and incorporated this extra poly cap into the foot. Fits pretty well so far. I've trimmed the excess plastic from the core piece and need to drill a hold for the poly cap. As I don't have my drill at work right now, I'll have to try to remember to bring it home for that.

IMG_3978.jpg

IMG_3979.jpg