Whats Lying on your Workbench MK IV

Urashiman

1 hour ago, NZEOD said:

Don't joke about that... We were repainting the hallway and my hall display cases ($55 each) were stacked up outside... my wife in a hormonal Pregnancy rage moment put the boot in and kicked the stack flying.

Did I mention they still had the 1/72 Macross models inside... some of them heavy brittle resin ones like the VF-4 and the ES-11B...

I wonder how much horror set in when she realized what she just did to your models?

BTW: I ask because in a fit of frustration, that's what I did to my then-current 1/72 project. It went sailing across the room after I had about enough of it. :( I'm sitting here wondering if I even want to try to repair this. I fought with this bloody thing for almost a year now, and I've had it. After my cats' hijinks in knocking it over and then losing it and sending ti airborne, I'm about ready to take up something cheaper like origami.

1 hour ago, pengbuzz said:

I wonder how much horror set in when she realized what she just did to your models?

BTW: I ask because in a fit of frustration, that's what I did to my then-current 1/72 project. It went sailing across the room after I had about enough of it. :( I'm sitting here wondering if I even want to try to repair this. I fought with this bloody thing for almost a year now, and I've had it. After my cats' hijinks in knocking it over and then losing it and sending ti airborne, I'm about ready to take up something cheaper like origami.

Have fun with it (said optimistically).  Turn it (or parts of it) into a kitbash.  Or (and I think this is more interesting), make a battle damaged version (just think of the fun you can have melting the plastic... er, adding bullet holes with a hot soldering iron).  If that's not possible, you could use the salvageable parts and turn them into a debris field that another completed Valkyrie is standing over in a display.

Haven't built anything in years; never feel like I'm going to do a kit justice. Decided it was time so I pulled a kit off the stash pile and just got started. Nothing fancy to be done here; just build, paint and detail.

Ended up choosing my Lunadiver Stingray as my first victim.

ZPxiKwJ.jpg

3 hours ago, chyll2 said:

Another update. Almost done with the armor. I can now focus on the VF-1 and redo some parts. The thigh that got seam fixed opened up again.

20170131_113533(0).jpg

1485834200898-1945070300.jpg

I liked both the previous and this schem, this head is really nice, the more I see it the more I want to make the complete upgrade set...

i still got an unpainted version lying around

That scheme looks good Chyll!  It adds a modern touch to it.

The Yamato is coming along Arbit!  Hopefully you have a safe place or case to put that in.

The rudders are finally done - except for the tear drop shaped fairings that will cover the hole in the middle.  The photo is deceptive, but that's a micro servo.  I tried to build everything so there is no play in the rudders.  The rudders sit in the jet flow so any slight moves equate to big course changes.

The rudders are also nearly round to fit right up into the nacelle jets for extreme deflection.  A water jet drive style nozzle wouldn't fit here so the rudders were the next best thing. - MT

0131172223.jpg

0131172220a.jpg

0131172221c.jpg

Looking amazing MechTech!  I especially love all the simple ways you have of making micro adjustments to the alignment on the rudders.  I'm guessing you may need to fiddle with them a bit before you lock them into place?  Can't wait to see how this performs on the water.

Also makes me wonder how something in 1:1 scale does with this arrangement.  Looks like a really great way to make and direct thrust in the water.

Alclad II Polished Ali base with a 1:1 mix of Tamiya transparent blue/Transparent Smoke. About 4 layers. The darker colour is a single layer of Alclad II Smoke over the base candy blue. 20ml of tint was used in total!

Turns out I needed 22ml as you'll notice no intake shrouds are fitted... I need more paint mixed to finish those two pieces.

Edited by NZEOD

56 minutes ago, NZEOD said:

Alclad II Polished Ali base with a 1:1 mix of Tamiya transparent blue/Transparent Smoke. About 4 layers. The darker colour is a single layer of Alclad II Smoke over the base candy blue. 20ml of tint was used in total!

Turns out I needed 22ml as you'll notice no intake shrouds are fitted... I need more paint mixed to finish those two pieces.

Lookin good. Did you stick to our friend's recipe, or make some adjustments?

just did what I thought looked right, Primer coat, Tamiya Black X1 1:1 thinners, Alclad, Clear, Tamiya Panel line accent, Tamiya Tint mix x4 coats, Alclad for the chrome wing tips, final panel line with Florys, Clear.

Engines were Primer, Alclad Steel on everything, Alclad Jet Exhaust on the inside of the nozzles, Alclad pale burnt metal on the outsides

Intakes were a mix of Alclad Ali and Magnesium with chrome on the inside of the covers

YA-MA-TO!!!  That came out awesome Arbit, especially for a project that small!  Congrats!

That's some serious paint NZEOD!  The paint probably weighs more than the plastic. - MT

Got the running hardware DONE!  The rudders now have a "bulb" on them to improve the flow and hydrodynamics.  They will probably stay paintless since the paint will get water blasted off eventually anyhow.  I also found a bad solder joint on the starboard side rudder so fixed that too.  It just won't be as "clean" as the other side.  On to the hull and topside now. - MT

0203171926.jpg

0203172204.jpg

0203172205.jpg

0203172226.jpg

0203172227a.jpg

On 2/2/2017 at 11:04 PM, arbit said:

Thanks guys. I'm shocked that my bad painting would get you to take on the Yamato.

If Nyanko paints one, wow, that will be special.

actually i did a 1/500 Yamato for a friend of mine w/ battle damage and very heavy weathering...

but at the time i was more occupied with my first SDF-1 build :ph34r:

so i forgot i wanted a yamato kit:o

btw yours looks awesome with all lights and soundsB)), and is that a display base meant specifically for yamato?