Whats Lying on your Workbench MK IV

Urashiman

28 minutes ago, electric indigo said:

I got the back blocked out, now I need some help: The film prop has a mesh area that would translate to 0.5 mm mesh width in scale. Can somebody point me to photoetch/military modeling supplies that would fit? 

TIA

I searched mesh on Ebay and not pleased with what I found...

1 hour ago, electric indigo said:

I got the back blocked out, now I need some help: The film prop has a mesh area that would translate to 0.5 mm mesh width in scale. Can somebody point me to photoetch/military modeling supplies that would fit? 

TIA

http://hlj.com/product/PITTA0002

I've only recently found out about Tetra Model Works but they seem to have a ton of useful photoetch for general use

On 1/23/2017 at 2:58 PM, electric indigo said:

TIA

31677322663_a726c7d96e_z.jpg

32337294382_f6c402d321_z.jpg

http://www.am-works.com/products/tools/tw007-square-mesh-small-0-45mm-spacing/

Nice Chyll, that new head has great detail on it!

Got on the lathe and mill to make half drive dogs , with 3mm set screws to lock them.  Then machined a motor mount out of aluminum.  I could have made a styrene one in half the time, but I don't know how hot the motors will get and the aluminum will also act as a heat sink (and can easily be removed).

Filled the tub with only 1.5 inches of water and it was more than enough!  This design has a shallow draft.  Both motors running on high equate to about a pound or two of thrust!  I had to back off to keep water from flowing back up into the hull!

Next step will be to design and make some rudders.  As best as I can tell from the tub, the jets are flowing smooth and straight.  The lake will tell!

Sorry, the server keeps randomizing the photo orders despite my attempts to fix it! - MT

14.jpg

7.jpg

8.jpg

9.jpg

10.jpg

11.jpg

12.jpg

13.jpg

Your mech is looking awesome Nyankodevice!  It's got a good look to it and plenty of armament too!

Thanks guys, I appreciate it!  I wouldn't go that far!  I haven't rebuilt a plane tossed across the room, but I did rebuild one my daughter "played with" to pieces.  It never was the same if it makes you feel better  :^)

I've been building R/C boats for a while (working in a hobby shop back in the day helps too).  Basically I took Voith's design and modeled it (guessing about dimensions and stuff).  Here's more if you're interested (movie and booklets): http://www.voith.com/en/products-services/power-transmission/voith-linear-jet-40389.html

So that's what's in the nacelles, a five bladed impeller and seven stator ring.  It's a water jet but with more low speed efficiency, more power and reverse without a reverser bucket (and another channel / servo / more weight).  They are in tunnels in the hull to make the draft (depth) of the boat shallower.  Less stuff hanging down to drag the boat back too.

The motors are just brushless outrunners and two two brushless speed controls coupled to two transmitter control sticks.  That means I can use one motor to save battery or use both to haul butt!  It also means I can reverse them for tight turning in place like a tank.  The metal ball and cups are what transfers the power to the nacelles.

I waited YEARS to get a lathe, but it was well worth it!  They say you can build just about anything with a lathe and a mill - it's nearly true.  They're expensive, but the Sherline lathes and mills are HIGH quality and rock solid - no play and no calibrating or clean-up needed.  My Chinese mill has had A LOT of work on it, and it still doesn't compare or work as well and has lots of play in the movements still too.  But it works!  If you guys are serious or curious, drop me a PM and maybe I can save you some hassle and research I had to go through.

Next step is to get some rudders going. - MT

On 1/26/2017 at 2:38 PM, MechTech said:

Nice Chyll, that new head has great detail on it!

Got on the lathe and mill to make half drive dogs , with 3mm set screws to lock them.  Then machined a motor mount out of aluminum.  I could have made a styrene one in half the time, but I don't know how hot the motors will get and the aluminum will also act as a heat sink (and can easily be removed).

Filled the tub with only 1.5 inches of water and it was more than enough!  This design has a shallow draft.  Both motors running on high equate to about a pound or two of thrust!  I had to back off to keep water from flowing back up into the hull!

Next step will be to design and make some rudders.  As best as I can tell from the tub, the jets are flowing smooth and straight.  The lake will tell!

Sorry, the server keeps randomizing the photo orders despite my attempts to fix it! - MT

*snip*

13.jpg

Madness! I miss my RC boats.. In fact I miss everything I had in RC! I have nothing in RC now.. -_-

That's really cool Nyankodevice!  Nice touch!

Galactic Diva, that's why I'm building this.  I no longer have any functioning R/C boats (sold the Daedalus a year or two ago).

Arbit, I couldn't even do that with an electron microscope:o  But I could probably make one fire off like a dart:p  Thanks for that animation.  I've never actually seen how that is all supposed to work.  It's impractical and an engineering / maintenance nightmare for just one jet (or two). - MT

6 hours ago, arbit said:

I think it could take out any Destroid, except the Monster.

(Whats the CIWS from?)

It's made from the destroid phalanx searchlight and styrene sticks and a Gundam arm joint xD

It should be able to take out monster, that right arm cannon should be able to take out smaller ships and installations..

3 hours ago, Nyankodevice said:

It's made from the destroid phalanx searchlight and styrene sticks and a Gundam arm joint xD

It should be able to take out monster, that right arm cannon should be able to take out smaller ships and installations..

Maybe in close range, it could deal with the Monster. It has good maneuverability, lots of scanning radar, and serious firepower with good variety. But sorry, from a distance, the Monster would smack it down. Maybe I'm biased :) 

8 hours ago, MechTech said:

Arbit, I couldn't even do that with an electron microscope:o  But I could probably make one fire off like a dart:p  Thanks for that animation.  I've never actually seen how that is all supposed to work.  It's impractical and an engineering / maintenance nightmare for just one jet (or two). - MT

Mechtech, True, cant do all of it. But I think part of it could be done. If we manually remove those doors, one servo can raise the lift to get the Zero at the level of the launcher.

It would be so cool.

Edited by arbit

3 hours ago, arbit said:

Maybe in close range, it could deal with the Monster. It has good maneuverability, lots of scanning radar, and serious firepower with good variety. But sorry, from a distance, the Monster would smack it down. Maybe I'm biased :) 

The monster is awesome...

In the end it comes down to who shoots first.. (which of cause Han did ;))

Not quite a model, but my workspace has been covered in bits of YF-19 for the past couple weeks. :)

IMG_2641.JPGIMG_2645.JPGIMG_2649.JPG

Working on getting these new wing pivots set up for laser cutting.  Takes a little work to get the original swingbars out, but the wings are rock solid with the new pivot points.

Maybe Arbit.  The 1/350 kit is still small though in that area.  I think it would be doors or lift, not both because of size.

I think it looks good Chyll.  Unless you're going for a "non-canon" scheme.

Chronocidal, what work are you doing with a laser on them?

It's tough to see in these bad photos, but half of the nacelle is still round while the other half that is exposed is actually nacelle shaped now making it hydrodynamic.  I got the rudder shafts in, but no photos yet.  Still working on the final design. - MT

0128171837.jpg

0128171835c.jpg

If you'd told us all about this before starting it, "it'll have this gun, and this one, and this canon, and a lasers, and energy weapons, and missiles..." I'd have thought it was seriously overkill and would look crazy busy and well, ridiculous.  But now that you've built it, it's just awesome!  Love what you've done with it and all the parts I recognise from other kits, but they all blend so well.

Can't wait to see it painted and finished!

3 hours ago, MechTech said:

Chronocidal, what work are you doing with a laser on them?

I'm not doing the lasering myself, but I've been working on a CAD model to get these parts easily reproduced.  It's a replacement wing mounting point for the Arcadia YF-19 that removes the high-speed mode, and keeps the wings much more solid in fighter mode.

IMG_2628.JPG

Top is handmade out of 1mm styrene, bottom two are laser cut from 2mm POM and stainless steel sheet.  My first test batch came out almost perfect, but the lower edge needs adjustment to not collide with the sides of the legs.  The POM works, and is much cheaper, but has some variability due to the laser cutting.  The metal came out nearly flawless, and just feels sturdier all around, so I ordered a second set of those with the necessary adjustments.

3 hours ago, Chronocidal said:

I'm not doing the lasering myself, but I've been working on a CAD model to get these parts easily reproduced.  It's a replacement wing mounting point for the Arcadia YF-19 that removes the high-speed mode, and keeps the wings much more solid in fighter mode.

IMG_2628.JPG

Top is handmade out of 1mm styrene, bottom two are laser cut from 2mm POM and stainless steel sheet.  My first test batch came out almost perfect, but the lower edge needs adjustment to not collide with the sides of the legs.  The POM works, and is much cheaper, but has some variability due to the laser cutting.  The metal came out nearly flawless, and just feels sturdier all around, so I ordered a second set of those with the necessary adjustments.

hey put me down for a set of the finished product! B))

Had some paint peel with Mr Hobby Primer Surfacer 1000. I am hand retouching as you can see, because I can't strip with all the wiring inside.

I let it cure for 48 hours. So I either had some greasy thumbs, or I was too light with the primer based on the "before" picture.

2017-01-30 05.55.44.jpg2017-01-30 05.55.16.jpg

2017-01-25 01.01.26.jpg

Edited by arbit

On 27/01/2017 at 10:14 AM, Nyankodevice said:

Looks awesome MT! ;)

first draft of Battle scanner/rader suite

also a little change on the left arm.

IMG_20170126_211907.jpg

IMG_20170126_211927.jpg

IMG_20170126_212021.jpg

Very Mech Warrior Online... like it alot! A pilot leaning on the leg would look awesome

On 27/01/2017 at 3:26 PM, pengbuzz said:

I wonder if he can reassemble a valkyrie that's been thrown across a room at a wall?

*hides mess*

Don't joke about that... We were repainting the hallway and my hall display cases ($55 each) were stacked up outside... my wife in a hormonal Pregnancy rage moment put the boot in and kicked the stack flying.

Did I mention they still had the 1/72 Macross models inside... some of them heavy brittle resin ones like the VF-4 and the ES-11B...