Whats Lying on your Workbench MK IV

Urashiman

That speeder bike base came out great; excellent use of natural materials for an authentic looking result. However, the bike is only 99.9% finished;... you're supposed to cut off the little slug spanning the two belly-gun square blocks, unless you decided to keep that there as a bit of extra, non-canon, detail -- like a small pressure cylinder. ;)

post-664-0-64784200-1471140749_thumb.jpg

Edited by mechaninac

Love those little Y-wing kits to death, tiny parts and all. :lol: They just feel better engineered to me than the 1/72 X-wings, especially in terms of the colored parts breakdown.

Planning a stock build, or going to customize it any? I accidentally "customized" one of mine when I pushed too hard on the little tubes coming out the back end, but each of the filming models was unique, and I don't think they all had those anyway.

Still trying to get my Imai/ Bandai VF-1S together:

100_7600_zpsao9tbkj4.jpg

Just got JB Weld, but I should have gotten the Kwikweld version instead. Anyways, scrapped the original inner backplate and scratched up a new one. I'll be mounting the arm and chest joints to it.

(Honestly, these days I wish I has a Yamato v.2 VF-1S, but income issues means even JB weld is a strain on the budget)

Hoping to have this one finished by March....er...2025. O.o

I also think waiting a couple weeks to a month and the prices go down a lot. The character kits will start around the $40 U.S. range and will drop to the $20-$25 range with free shipping most of the time. It helps to know the standard price and give yourself a range of how much extra you would want to spend and see if it comes to that cost or even less and also if your orders qualify for free shipping.

Still trying to get my Imai/ Bandai VF-1S together:

100_7600_zpsao9tbkj4.jpg

Just got JB Weld, but I should have gotten the Kwikweld version instead. Anyways, scrapped the original inner backplate and scratched up a new one. I'll be mounting the arm and chest joints to it.

(Honestly, these days I wish I has a Yamato v.2 VF-1S, but income issues means even JB weld is a strain on the budget)

Hoping to have this one finished by March....er...2025. O.o

Oooh a chunky custom

Slightly boring painting session this morning airbrushing Model Master Light Grey enamel over light grey plastic, but whatever.. Y Wing painting now complete!... and... the man behind the mask!... sort of! OMG selfie!!!! hahaha

hahaha... That's funny man, you don't see selfies too much on here.

Most of the work over the weekend was related to getting the hull in a better state. The glacis has been glued on, with work commencing on getting the transition between the lower hull & it correct.

Also test fitted some tools from the Tamiya 1/16 M4 Sherman.

63D00B4D-76FA-456B-A584-50D98A7522DD_zps

In addition to tools, the Tamiya Sherman donated one of its fuel filler caps:

F9DE092F-4BB4-493A-84DD-2B3E450F69B0_zps

Comments welcome, as always.

Slightly boring painting session this morning airbrushing Model Master Light Grey enamel over light grey plastic, but whatever.. Y Wing painting now complete!... and... the man behind the mask!... sort of! OMG selfie!!!! hahaha

Between the ship being covered with greeblies to high heaven, and Bandai doing an awesome job hiding most of the significant seams between parts, I love how you can pretty much paint the Y-Wing entirely before ever putting it together.

True story--actually, in hind site, I could have put the engines mostly together as well, the dark brown parts, which I took the the time to do in a nice dark Metalizer, were pretty much totally concealed, so no one will ever know how pretty they are! :unsure: . I'm finding as I get older, I'm really starting to not care much about parts of a model that will never be seen by human eyes. Like cockpits and pilots for example! Sure, I am going to paint them, but I use to love older kits that just had flat panels for all the controls and a small water slide decal to put on for the instruments. Now the Bandai kits have the decals, but all the control surfaces in the cockpits are raised details, which is fantasic, but looks like warmed over steaming crap if you try to put a decal over it! I don't care how much decal solution you use! So a dark color base coat and a tiny bit of silver drybrushing over the controls and I'm freakin done!

Also, Bandai's freaking obsession with clear cockpits (decals, stickers or mask and paint) or frame only cockpits --uhhhhhggggg. Seriously..just give me a frakin clear window piece that snaps inside the frame piece!!!

OK..rant mode off

I do love these kits, really! The detail is awesome! :wub:

Edited by derex3592

Eh, while snap-in windows for the frames would be great, I think the 1/72 kits are unfortunately a little too small to pull that off well. The plastic thickness would probably be an issue. They did it nicely with the 1/48 X-wing, but sadly that seems like a one-off.. and I was so incredibly hopeful they'd release one without all the mechanical gizmos and lighting. :huh:

I have to admit though, I really do appreciate the frame-only windows (dust problems notwithstanding :p). I know it's mostly to replicate the filming models, but I love the look for some reason.

You'll probably be happy to hear that they did give the A-wing kit a clear canopy with a snap on frame though. I think the A-wing might be the only ship they gave actual windows to in the movies, since you can't do a bubble canopy so well with just a frame.

Edited by Chronocidal

currently working on this little thing.

modifying it into flying mode instead of launch mode.

also removing the helmet...

attachicon.gifIMG_20160823_195831.jpg

attachicon.gifIMG_20160823_195844.jpg attachicon.gifIMG_20160823_195926.jpg

That's some awesome work right there!

I'd love to see more on this build Where is your build thread? ;)

Very interested in where how you spliced the legs and what you used/how you went about re-sculpting the skirt.

more pics please!

That's some awesome work right there!

I'd love to see more on this build Where is your build thread? ;)

Very interested in where how you spliced the legs and what you used/how you went about re-sculpting the skirt.

more pics please!

ill post more of this one in a couple of days, also ill explain exactly what i did..

Nice !!

Wel one thing is for sure you haven't lost any of your skills.

Good thing is Big West and Humungy Gawd can't serve you a ceasation order for that work.

Thanks, I do more more supervising and approval now due to the complexity of that project.

Cessation orders: they couldn't before either! :lol: With research, I had figured-out that there are perfectly legal loopholes to licensing. In short, just avoid using any trademarked names or logos. Robot designs themselves are not patented, it just wouldn't be cost-feasible to do so. Just look at how third-party Transformers toy manufacturers proceed, they understand the game too.