Whats Lying on your Workbench MK IV

Urashiman

Moving along here.

I also have blinking signal lights ready for the bridge wings. One lesson I learned with lights is if you wire steady lights, blinking lights and flickering lights together, they all end up blinking...Duh!

So I need to have separate wires to the power source for each type of light, unless there is another easy solution (I will NOT be learning how to wire circuit boards).

Another lesson is too many wires and the hull gets jammed full...

post-18429-0-49060600-1468055082_thumb.jpg

Edited by arbit

I have one of those Boba Fett kits and 2 sand troopers that I ordered from Hlj just before the embargo. It looks like a fairly simple build and the grey looks like primer gray could work for most of it.

Were you going to do any paint chipping on the armor?

Yes, I PLAN to, buuut I am NOT good at it, I've only tried on my Scout Walker and some was ok, others weren't. I used the tiny piece of dead sponge method, gonna need to practice before I do Boba. I'm actually going to paint all the parts on the sprue for this, as I found almost every color I need lying around. Don't wanna have to spend money on paint for this.

Arbit - The Yamato looks great!!!

Edited by derex3592

After lots more dremeling. My pre-wired LEDs have too thick wires. I need to rewire with thinner ones. Not looking forward to it.

post-18429-0-94810300-1468090154_thumb.jpg

Edited by arbit

Had an unexpected cool front blow through this afternoon so I thought I would get some painting done on Boba Fett. Tamiya acrylics sure are easy to mix with and lay down beautifully through an airbrush.. I will say that for them.

post-11393-0-68938000-1468103707_thumb.jpg

Seconded.

Thanks. Those are "candle/flickering" pre-wired LEDs which give that effect.

But I'm finding that for our small kits, SMDs are the way to go for tight spots. LEDs are often too big.

Edited by arbit

I've got a start on my first Airfix Westland Sea King - a HU.5. This the new tool Airfix 1/72 kit & will accompany my converted SH-3H and, in turn, will be joined by a HAR.3.

The interior was converted...

836BEB9F-D6F7-4893-894D-08A36F771B6E_zps

3234E3E2-3F7B-40EF-8BC0-870DBEB36308_zps

And painted.

17BF160F-621D-4182-8379-7C06DDB0DDA8_zps

Floor chipped with Neo mask.

1DF303E7-E2E2-4283-8D0F-CBF66298A726_zps

Quite a bit different to the OOB HAR.3, I think you'll agree:

6C1FD3F7-85C5-48EF-AE1C-5B158A77252D_zps

Should get the fuselage together this week.

All comments welcome.

God I havent been in a SeaKing since 2000! Shark 07 "Suai Sally" The Timor Express of 817 Sqn International Rescue. Looking at the interior of that model brings back memories, like why the hell does it only have a door and weapon station on one side?? Does the Navy only ever flying to contact sideways? Love how you've scuffed up the deck.

Edited by NZEOD

Moving along here.

I also have blinking signal lights ready for the bridge wings. One lesson I learned with lights is if you wire steady lights, blinking lights and flickering lights together, they all end up blinking...Duh!

So I need to have separate wires to the power source for each type of light, unless there is another easy solution (I will NOT be learning how to wire circuit boards).

Another lesson is too many wires and the hull gets jammed full...

attachicon.gif2016-07-08 22.59.05.jpg

Solution for the cable clutter problem is to use Enameled Wire. Its hair thin and carries enough current to run your LEDs.

Enameled_Iron_Wire.jpg

For SMDs try Neopixels, you get blinding light thats fadeable, they only need 3 wires to run them even in a daisy chain of 80 and you can still program and control them individually while daisy chained using a Trinket board.

maxresdefault.jpg

11821-04.jpg

between racing, work and kitchen renos I got a tiny bit more done on the horde of models including the street scene, and sprayed up a quick test of the camo patterns for them.

Seems to work.

IMG_20160710_1824551_zpsoczybsow.jpgIMG_20160710_1825111_zpssjudky3k.jpgIMG_20160710_1824031_zpsj4hqulsh.jpgIMG_20160710_1825301_zpshazr4qmq.jpg

Solution for the cable clutter problem is to use Enameled Wire. Its hair thin and carries enough current to run your LEDs.

For SMDs try Neopixels, you get blinding light thats fadeable, they only need 3 wires to run them even in a daisy chain of 80 and you can still program and control them individually while daisy chained using a Trinket board.

Thanks.

Thanks.

10 neos cost me about $6NZD and each one is small enough to fit into the lens fitting on the 1/72 Wave Phalanx triple spotlight and still have room to run the enameled wires hidden down the shaft into the body.

SAM_8117_zpsj6l5q0oe.jpg

Thats how small the enameled wires are too.

Edited by NZEOD

God I havent been in a SeaKing since 2000! Shark 07 "Suai Sally" The Timor Express of 817 Sqn International Rescue. Looking at the interior of that model brings back memories, like why the hell does it only have a door and weapon station on one side?? Does the Navy only ever flying to contact sideways? Love how you've scuffed up the deck.

Yeah, baffles me a bit, too. Never been in a Sea King: experience limited to the normal UH-1, H-60, Mi-17....& the Mi-26!

This'll be a SAR bird, so unarmed. Thanks for commenting.

Yeah we sat in ours getting frustrated all looking at the floor waiting for rounds to start punching though it and wanting to kick the navy guy off the Door GPMG! Not a nice feeling.

How did you chip the floor like that?

Edited by NZEOD

Yeah we sat in ours getting frustrated all looking at the floor waiting for rounds to start punching though it and wanting to kick the navy guy off the Door GPMG! Not a nice feeling.

How did you chip the floor like that?

Waiting for fire never is a nice feeling...

The floor chipping was pretty simple to do - base coat, followed by Mr Hobby MR.MASKING SOL NEO applied via dabbing a torn-off bit of sponge into it, applying it more heavily in high traffic areas. This was followed by the top coat.

Once the top coat was dry, I rubbed my fingertip over the dried masking fluid, chipping the top coat.

HTH.

10 neos cost me about $6NZD and each one is small enough to fit into the lens fitting on the 1/72 Wave Phalanx triple spotlight and still have room to run the enameled wires hidden down the shaft into the body.

Thats how small the enameled wires are too.

Doing my homework on these. Seems a bit complex for me to program and wire. But they are definitely awesome. One day...

Edited by arbit

super simple to wire... one 5v power, one ground, on data in... if more than are needed you just run a line from the first SMD's Data out to the next smd's data in. Literally seconds to solder.

And the programming is super easy too with premade code (called sketches) ready to download. They are made by a chick for chicks to sew into clothing and costumes so a guy HAS to be able to do this just for prides sake.

checkout Adafruit.com for ideas and tutorials and sketches.

super simple to wire... one 5v power, one ground, on data in... if more than are needed you just run a line from the first SMD's Data out to the next smd's data in. Literally seconds to solder.

And the programming is super easy too with premade code (called sketches) ready to download. They are made by a chick for chicks to sew into clothing and costumes so a guy HAS to be able to do this just for prides sake.

checkout Adafruit.com for ideas and tutorials and sketches.

Any link to the "sketces"?

I saw the sketch library on the Adafruit site.

And my apologies to all chicks on the Workbench who may have been offended.

They can definitely do a lot more programming than I could.

Edited by arbit

Any link to the "sketces"?

I saw the sketch library on the Adafruit site.

And my apologies to all chicks on the Workbench who may have been offended.

They can definitely do a lot more programming than I could.

Hah... I seriously doubt they would be offended, more like quite proud of what these ladies have been doing that no guy has beaten yet.

If you ever do try it, I can help with the programming sketches. They are written in notepad so they can be posted in a PM and you just cut and paste them then upload to the Trinket and you're ready to go.

Edited by NZEOD

Plus was always my number 2 favorite after the original.

But what colors were the Ghosts in the series? I recall some were darker colors, but I forget these details.

Edited by arbit

Well, a little more progress on the HAR.3 -> HU.5. Added the lumps, bumps, randome, filled the inappropriate widows, bulged the appropriate ones & got the fuselage (hull?) together.

Here it is alongside my slightly-damaged-by-thinner-spillage SH-3H conversion.

0B84F03D-4FFD-42FF-96A9-2498BA2495BB_zps

Hah... I seriously doubt they would be offended, more like quite proud of what these ladies have been doing that no guy has beaten yet.

If you ever do try it, I can help with the programming sketches. They are written in notepad so they can be posted in a PM and you just cut and paste them then upload to the Trinket and you're ready to go.

If you're willing to walk me through, I will start a new thread for it so others can also benefit.

I have looked into Arduino and Adafruit basic tutorials several times and just cant get my teeth into it.

Ok, give me a week or two to tidy up the renos and I'll sit down and do a tread on engine lighting then go from there

Got the smoke stacks going today. I might recast the missiles in clear resin to get more action.

post-18429-0-41410600-1468340870_thumb.jpg

And had to do a test run with the raison d'etre for this thing.

post-18429-0-66681600-1468346235_thumb.jpg

post-18429-0-21164900-1468346407_thumb.jpg

Edited by arbit

Got the smoke stacks going today. I might recast the missiles in clear resin to get more action.

attachicon.gif2016-07-12 19.15.44.jpg

And had to do a test run with the raison d'etre for this thing.

attachicon.gif2016-07-12 21.50.29.jpg

attachicon.gif2016-07-12 21.50.04.jpg

once you get up to speed with the coding... making those main guns fade up to a blinding strobe effect as they "fire" one at a time in a volley fire way will look AMAZING! Especially when you add in a slight colour change... maybe charging up through a faded purple to a blinding white on firing to a cooling faded red glow after!

Edited by NZEOD

once you get up to speed with the coding... making those main guns fade up to a blinding strobe effect as they "fire" one at a time in a volley fire way will look AMAZING! Especially when you add in a slight colour change... maybe charging up through a faded purple to a blinding white on firing to a cooling faded red glow after!

I'm using SMD's in the turrets, so I don't think they can be controlled like you say. They are less than 0.5mm and fit easily in the turrets, with enough flexibility in the wires to allow the turrets to turn manually. Not sure if they make Neopixels that small.

But this thing begs for the coding... we will have to see... give me a shopping list, all I have is the power board.

Adafruit Trinket 5V - LED controller board... thats it

its a stand alone board about the size on a marker pen cap, just plug it into a USB to power it and program it. Mine run off a 240V to 5V USB wall socket.

https://www.adafruit.com/product/2000

Edited by NZEOD

Putting the final touches on Ria and wrecking my nerves in the process

Really nice paint. Any tips on how you thin your paints and apply the coats? Looks very clean.

I have a lifelong struggle with painting!