Whats Lying on your Workbench MK IV

Urashiman

Looks interesting Cap. In other news.. small side project...One of you horrible people on here got me addicted to the Eaglemoss Star Trek ship line, I felt like the Delta Flyer was just screaming for a panel line wash, so I'm doing that today. If you haven't checked these little guys out, they are pretty darn cool, and not totally wallet breaking.

post-11393-0-17436200-1463953244_thumb.jpg

Edited by derex3592

It's that time of the year again. - There are so many VF-1 buildups around this isn't anything special, but I haven't been building Hasegawa stuff in a while, so this is kinda thrilling to me to finally get to building up one of these things again. :D

Sloppily sticked together. Cockpit still needs alot of work. Also sanding is going to happen. - When done this will get the Hayao Kakizaki VF-1A from Do you remember love touch.

post-10954-0-07462700-1464023405_thumb.jpg

Great stuff guys! Lots of great stuff going on!

The Macross watch is a cool idea Cap'n! I've customized a couple in the past and they're fun to do. Something intentional from the start would be great! - MT

Okay, some pics for everyone...

The inglorious start of a battlepod:

100_7524_zps3tmaxqeu.jpg

And some progress:

100_7525_zpshckp3vkm.jpg

The marker on the surface is just to mark out where parts will go and whatnot.

Don't worry: it's not going to look like crap for too much longer; I'll have a topic posted for this shortly.

Started gutting my Hase VF-25S and fitting Bandi's Tornado parts. It's been a reallllllyyyyyyy long time since I built a Hase kit (1/72 YF-19/SV-51 whenever they originally released.) I was a bit suprised to see how shallow their pannel lines are on this kit. Lots of grinding and fitting, I've forgone parts seperation and glued everything in favor of better fitment. Shouldn't be too much masking hell!

Am quite pleased with how well I got the center portion of the tornado pack's binder to hug the body!

post-13376-0-14294000-1465177016_thumb.jpg

Edited by Rock

Started gutting my Hase VF-25S and fitting Bandi's Tornado parts. It's been a reallllllyyyyyyy long time since I built a Hase kit (1/72 YF-19/SV-51 whenever they originally released.) I was a bit suprised to see how shallow their pannel lines are on this kit. Lots of grinding and fitting, I've forgone parts seperation and glued everything in favor of better fitment. Shouldn't be too much masking hell!

Am quite pleased with how well I got the center portion of the tornado pack's binder to hug the body!

Nice to see someone else taking this project on.

27504786855_dd3f5a723c_z.jpg

I'd been wanting to fix a few toys that gravity, time, and physics had been unkind to. First I needed to learn how to use JB Weld though.

A recent pen-thigh mod to a 1/55 helped me with that so it was time to give these a try.

I also have an Takatoku Orgroid junker that I got cheap a while back. It has multiple growing cracks and one side of it's waist hinge is broken.

Wondering if anyone has ever fixed one of those. If so, any recommendations? It's very similar to the backpack hinge on 1/55's, but I don't have the missing pieces. A larger pen ink tube might fit.

@pengbuzz, yes the tape was just there to hold the piece in place while the JB Weld set. Here's a close up of the actual break:

27477403516_9779ceaa61_z.jpg

The hing I need to fix on the Orguss is similar, but I don't have the missing shards in order to attempt this type of fix, which is why I'm considering using something like a part of plastic pen that might have a similar circumference.

@pengbuzz, yes the tape was just there to hold the piece in place while the JB Weld set. Here's a close up of the actual break:

27477403516_9779ceaa61_z.jpg

The hing I need to fix on the Orguss is similar, but I don't have the missing shards in order to attempt this type of fix, which is why I'm considering using something like a part of plastic pen that might have a similar circumference.

Thank you for the pic Mazinger; now let me see if I can help you.:

There is a two-part epoxy-like adhesive called Plastic Welder, made by Devcon. I've used it to literally make parts for my projects. Ace Hardware has a version of it that's two dollars cheaper, but is the same exact stuff. If you can put something made of soft plastic (polypropylene or polyethelyne) in the middle to serve as a non-stick form, you can smear the plastic welder around it and it will cure to shape. Then, just remove the soft plastic part and shape the outer surface with a needle file or rotary tool (Dremel). The inner cartridge from a stick ballpoint pen would work (the cheap bic kind), as plastic welder cannot really adhere to soft plastic. This stuff is VERY strong: I have projects from 10 years ago and the material is still as good as ever! It's also sandable and paintable, so you can smooth it out and make it look like it was never damaged.

Why not give it a try and see if it works for you. Last I checked, the Ace version is $4.99

Thanks pengbuzz. Plastic Welder sounds a lot like JBWeld. I hadn't considered molding it to take the necessary shape so I might end up doing that if I don't find a satisfactory replacement.

Glad to here how durable this stuff is. Makes me wish I could just bathe all my stuff in it!

Thanks pengbuzz. Plastic Welder sounds a lot like JBWeld. I hadn't considered molding it to take the necessary shape so I might end up doing that if I don't find a satisfactory replacement.

Glad to here how durable this stuff is. Makes me wish I could just bathe all my stuff in it!

It is, but I find it's more durable and easier to sand. And I feel the same way! lol

Plastic welder comes in a dual syringe, so you always dispense the correct amount of resin and hardener.

BTW folks: update on my Regult pod:

100_7528_zpsk78e4stx.jpg

100_7530_zpsxap3icru.jpg

Started adding the joints in for the legs. I may make the "knees" double jointed if I can find/ build the right joint for them. After I get the structural stuff done, then I'll start on building up the cockpit shell and making look more like a kit than a golf ball with a 'tude! :lol: