Whats Lying on your Workbench MK IV

Urashiman

Looking awesome!!! Just my opinion, if you are going to scrtchbuils a 1/35 cockpit/VF-1, I would do the cockpit bigger, you need more space under the seat for the landing gear.

Thanks! The total length of the drawing is correct to scale, but adjusting to the pilot ends up with a cartoonishly large cockpit, just like the 1/18 Matchbox Vf-1. I could adjust everything to correct for size, but it wouldn't match up with the scale dimensions. Serious dilemma! :lol:

What do you guys think? 1/35 scale based on official dimensions, or 1/35 based on the pilot figure?

Thanks! The total length of the drawing is correct to scale, but adjusting to the pilot ends up with a cartoonishly large cockpit, just like the 1/18 Matchbox Vf-1. I could adjust everything to correct for size, but it wouldn't match up with the scale dimensions. Serious dilemma! :lol:

What do you guys think? 1/35 scale based on official dimensions, or 1/35 based on the pilot figure?

I meant adjusting everything. I would adjust the VF-1 based on the 1/35 scale pilot.

Pleaso no 1/18 matchbox VF-1 :lol:

I meant adjusting everything. I would adjust the VF-1 based on the 1/35 scale pilot.

Pleaso no 1/18 matchbox VF-1 :lol:

Cool. There's actually enough room for the landing gear without further adjustments - the seat would just double as the landing gear bay.

Definitely "no" to strange proportions! :lol:

The seat ejects so it cant double as the bay. It also projects up and out of the cockpit through the neck when in Battroid mode. Thats a lot of equipment under the seat to allow ejection, tilting in Battroid mode and then extending out of the neck as well. No way the landing gear tucks into this space as well as airframe reinforcing in this area for carrier trap landings and catapult launches... your airframe needs to be bigger.

It cant be all packed behind the seat either as in the VF-1D thats where the back seaters legs will be and the seats would be the same.

Have a look at the F/A-18 nose gear for an idea of how bulky they need to be for deck landings

BTW... your seat design is looking very much like this one.... nice!

Screen-Shot-2013-05-16-at-09.40.47.png

Edited by NZEOD

Thanks!

Got the math, proportions, & magic line art to play nice (for now).

attachicon.gifIMG_7279.jpg

attachicon.gifIMG_7277.jpg

Now there's a little more room for everybody.

attachicon.gifIMG_7278.jpg

pilot looks a bit big for that valk...

or its a really big guy?

but really its almost impossible to make it accurate, cuz

alot of anime magic is involved in the cockpit with transformation and whatnot...

however i really like what you've done so far. ;)

keep up the good work B))

pilot looks a bit big for that valk...

or its a really big guy?

but really its almost impossible to make it accurate, cuz

alot of anime magic is involved in the cockpit with transformation and whatnot...

however i really like what you've done so far. ;)

keep up the good work B))

The pilot was originally from a 1/35 US infantry kit, so it would be a 6.2ft - 6.4ft guy, I figure.

So that's the dilemma - scale the VF-1 around the pilot, or stick to the official dimensions. Thanks!

The seat ejects so it cant double as the bay. It also projects up and out of the cockpit through the neck when in Battroid mode. Thats a lot of equipment under the seat to allow ejection, tilting in Battroid mode and then extending out of the neck as well. No way the landing gear tucks into this space as well as airframe reinforcing in this area for carrier trap landings and catapult launches... your airframe needs to be bigger.

It cant be all packed behind the seat either as in the VF-1D thats where the back seaters legs will be and the seats would be the same.

Have a look at the F/A-18 nose gear for an idea of how bulky they need to be for deck landings

Cool. I meant combining the seat & gear bay in a model/toy sense, it was the only way the parts would ft in such a confined space. I wanted to build it with completely separate components - I was on the way to making the bottom half of the seat when I found out it wouldn't actually fit!

The seat's based on the line art in Master File, I can only take credit for building it in scale. :lol:

Screen-Shot-2013-05-16-at-09.40.47.png

i'd love that seat for when I use DCS! B))

Would it help to call the pilot 1/32 scale?

We could, but it doesn't solve the space problem. I'd like to avoid sanding away the pilot's bottom half, if possible.

The math checks out - a 6'2 pilot + flight suit at 1/35, scales down to 5.5cm tall.

(It's like the VF-1 was built around short pilots! :lol: )

If the VF-1 is scaled to the pilot, it ends up at 1/31.6 - 1/32 scale.

Here's the re-scaled drawing, it solves the cockpit space problem, but it's now a whole 2 inches longer. (1/32 scale)

post-2535-0-76844000-1454664735_thumb.jpg

post-2535-0-10330800-1454664867_thumb.jpg

I'd prefer to have the fighter in 1/35 though. (less work!) :p

i'd love that seat for when I use DCS! B))

Look up Hanger 54... They made that seat from the remains of a Tornados Martin Baker Mk10 seat

Edited by NZEOD

its 12.26am Friday night and I'm waiting on paint to dry in one of the rooms I'm renovating so I started on the first of the Wave Defenders... got the basics assembled to work out how to fit in the Mechatronics to swing the body and move the arms in a smooth realistic manner. there is actually a decent amount of room inside the upper body to work with as long as the cockpit internals arent used.

Its Possible to route the wiring down inside one leg and have it connect to a socket in the Diorama base and still allow the legs to be moved and posed. Really liking this model!

Next mission will be to build spinning rotary cannons for the MkXV version. I have some spare 8mm Airsoft ball race bearings to use for that.

Next question... after priming the Defender and looking at how and where I'm fitting in the servos I noticed the radar can be rotated 360°... so my question is... is the radar MEANT to rotate while in operation/search mode? If so I'm looking at making a drive motor so this spins as well

They're not on the workbench yet, but as part of my rediscovery of Macross, I went into my old closet while visiting my mother this weekend and found this stash of old kits that I probably haven't touched in 15 years - including several still in the shrink wrap:

kits01.jpg

I was particularly excited to find this resin kit from Wonder Fest that was discussed here a while back. I probably paid too much for it on eBay years ago, but I'm glad I have an example - I think it will make a great display piece for my home office eventually:

kits02.jpg

All those older kits look pretty dated compared to current Hasegawa models, but since my modeling skills are pretty rusty, I'll probably start off with some of these to get the hang of things again before tackling my favorite Valkyrie kits.

Edited by VF-1A Grunt

Ye's it's a bash between a Tamiya P-47 and a Koster vacform kit of the XP-47.

The white is what I cut from the Koster kit, as I wanted to keep as much of the

Tamiya detail as possible.

looks like the cut out parts fit around the Tamiya kit pretty well. As much as I prefer the original radial engine layout of the P-47, this is still gonna look pretty cool when done! Be sure to post more update pics of this project! B))

We just had Waitangi day, a National Long Weekend so between Motox, renovations, friends rolling utes on the highway and finding time to plan out the wiring on the Defender I built a new spray booth out of left over scrap.

Just needs the light bar bolted on, the filter element inseted and an extractor fan fitted and its done.

Thought about using a car Aircon blower...

IMG_20160208_112649_zpsfeqg0ttb.jpgIMG_20160208_112625_zps9imkplz5.jpg

IMG_20160208_112716_zpsnsohyisy.jpgIMG_20160208_112725_zpsky5fdyan.jpg

The Filter element holders slide out of the ali channels, the foam is place/sandwiched between the two window panels and and the assembly is slid back into place. Simple and easy to change.

IMG_20160208_112732_zpsnp5jenm9.jpg

The only reason its V Groove is thats the paneling I had laying about from the renos.

My oddball 1½ yr old Jackson seems to enjoy crawling inside it when ever my back is turns and hes loose in the Garage of Horrors.

Edited by NZEOD