Whats Lying on your Workbench MK IV

Urashiman

OK, I got the chance to decal this baby last weekend and matte/flat clear-coated this weekend. When I was making up extra decals for my YF-19, I did the same for this baby - with special thanks to the white slime markers to a wonderful friend here on these boards (you know who you are - thanks so much!).

I love the finish (hated all the effort that's required to bring an Arcadia up to snuff) - of course now I like it more than my Bandai Valks, which were pretty much a bit of pencil smudging weathering out of the box and a clear coat protection and that's it. This was a little more involved, it took about 4 weekends, but I do like the colour of blue it finally turned out into and the salt weathering method. Now I know how to finish my F-14s from now on. This is the amount of Tampo that should have been on a toy of this price range.

It's 90% there, I just need to do a bit of Aclad burnt exhaust on the feet and intakes, dark wash the landing gears and paint the silver shock struct and weather the ordnance a little to match up with the plane - however they will be very light as they aren't usually as weathered. That will be sometime in August - we have a family vacation to attend to :p I'll do a proper photoshoot of this and the YF-19 in the summer.

post-244-0-09701600-1434325849_thumb.jpgpost-244-0-48021000-1434325850_thumb.jpgpost-244-0-71372000-1434325851_thumb.jpgpost-244-0-06615700-1434325853_thumb.jpgpost-244-0-34497200-1434325854_thumb.jpgpost-244-0-69232200-1434325855_thumb.jpgpost-244-0-15894600-1434325857_thumb.jpg

BTW, does the site re-size the attachments when I upload them? They're all blurry - they were "razor" sharp when I took them, but when I click on them, they all look soft, not like Subaro amazing photos - how does he attach them?

Note: in the fourth photo, if you look inside the leg (my feet are extended in prep to paint the burnt exhaust) you can see two bright orange screws... the only drawback to the salt weathering was these two screws rusted instantly... weird that all the other metal parts seem to do fine, there was one pin in the landing gear hinge that looked a little rusty too, but I was able to brush that away - this toy will be kept dry from now on, so the "rusting" wouldn't be an issue anymore (I hope). No more ocean dives for my baby!

BTW, does the site re-size the attachments when I upload them? They're all blurry - they were "razor" sharp when I took them, but when I click on them, they all look soft, not like Subaro amazing photos - how does he attach them?

Looks great!

Try http://imgur.com/

It's free. You can make an account and create albums and have everything in one place and be able to add to or delete things, or just upload stuff without one for convenience. I have had things hosted for years. Allows high resolution files.

You can just drag and drop images from your computer onto the webpage.

Edited by Gwynne

OK, I got the chance to decal this baby last weekend and matte/flat clear-coated this weekend...

*snip*

Can't stop looking at your VF-0D, Mr. Cheng. It's so gorgeous. That's how the salt weathering looks like. Superb! :wub:

Regarding pix, you can use Photobucket or Flickr. Anyways, great weathering. ;)

Thanks for all the kudos! It certainly was a learning experience. The hardest part to judge was how much effect you need to go, only to be toned down by the gloss coat (glossy clear coats tend to darken the finish) and how much would come back when you flat/matte clear coat it all in the end again (flat clear coats tend to lighten the finish). I was a bit timid being the first time trying this method and I think I error-ed on the subtle side - now looking at how much I liked the effect, I wished it was a bit stronger to see all the effort went into it and I wished it was overall a bit lighter. It looks great under strong lighting or outside, but inside in dim lighting, I'd wish it was a bit lighter. At least I know exactly what to do with my Hasegawa VF-0s and F-14s when I finally do get around to them.

OK, I got the chance to decal this baby last weekend and matte/flat clear-coated this weekend. When I was making up extra decals for my YF-19, I did the same for this baby - with special thanks to the white slime markers to a wonderful friend here on these boards (you know who you are - thanks so much!).

I love the finish (hated all the effort that's required to bring an Arcadia up to snuff) - of course now I like it more than my Bandai Valks, which were pretty much a bit of pencil smudging weathering out of the box and a clear coat protection and that's it. This was a little more involved, it took about 4 weekends, but I do like the colour of blue it finally turned out into and the salt weathering method. Now I know how to finish my F-14s from now on. This is the amount of Tampo that should have been on a toy of this price range.

It's 90% there, I just need to do a bit of Aclad burnt exhaust on the feet and intakes, dark wash the landing gears and paint the silver shock struct and weather the ordnance a little to match up with the plane - however they will be very light as they aren't usually as weathered. That will be sometime in August - we have a family vacation to attend to :p I'll do a proper photoshoot of this and the YF-19 in the summer.

attachicon.gifDSC_1587_resize.JPGattachicon.gifDSC_1588_resize.JPGattachicon.gifDSC_1589_resize.JPGattachicon.gifDSC_1590_resize.JPGattachicon.gifDSC_1591_resize.JPGattachicon.gifDSC_1592_resize.JPGattachicon.gifDSC_1593_resize.JPG

I'm late, but wow, that looks great! The mottling from the salt weathering adds a whole lot to the overall realism.

I can only hope to make mine look anywhere near that good. I haven't done anything since last year so I'm probably a little rusty.

Saburo uploads and hosts his pics on Flickr. If you do that and add the image hyperlink to your forum post rather than uploading attachments, you can set whatever resolution you want and the pic will be as sharp as the original photo since it doesn't go through extra compression algorithms like pics uploaded to the forums do which causes the loss in detail and sharpness and additional artifacting. The forum hosting is nice and convenient, but if you want to retain the quality of your photos, you should try Flickr, especially since it's free to do so. I mirrored my albums in Flickr also since it lets me categorize my stuff much better. If you want to do that and have any questions, feel free to send me a PM.

I'm late, but wow, that looks great! The mottling from the salt weathering adds a whole lot to the overall realism.

I can only hope to make mine look anywhere near that good. I haven't done anything since last year so I'm probably a little rusty.

Saburo uploads and hosts his pics on Flickr. If you do that and add the image hyperlink to your forum post rather than uploading attachments, you can set whatever resolution you want and the pic will be as sharp as the original photo since it doesn't go through extra compression algorithms like pics uploaded to the forums do which causes the loss in detail and sharpness and additional artifacting. The forum hosting is nice and convenient, but if you want to retain the quality of your photos, you should try Flickr, especially since it's free to do so. I mirrored my albums in Flickr also since it lets me categorize my stuff much better. If you want to do that and have any questions, feel free to send me a PM.

Dude! Where've you been? I miss those weathered valks you use to post.

Yup... sorry about the site's built in compression and limitations. It's good enough to keep the site free. :)

Really basic hand sanding / can primer with the harsh WSF plastic from Shapeways. This drone is having its 4th primer layer, and looking pretty good so far!

I plan to apply 2 coat of Tamyia can paint, then glossy finish TS-13 gloss pray from Tamyia. Any recommendation for the glossy finish ?

post-15880-0-48375100-1435248832_thumb.jpg

post-15880-0-41278200-1435248842_thumb.jpg

post-15880-0-58162400-1435248853_thumb.jpg

post-15880-0-80037300-1435248859_thumb.jpg

post-15880-0-10010900-1435248865_thumb.jpg

post-15880-0-31053400-1435248869_thumb.jpg

post-15880-0-44580300-1435248873_thumb.jpg

post-15880-0-42514500-1435248877_thumb.jpg

I miss the old Nu Gundam kit I used to have with metal chest and leg parts!

The M+ drone came out great!

The Lagrange starship reminds me of ZZ Top's song of the same name :>) - MT