Whats Lying on your Workbench MK IV

Urashiman

I finally got to start putting decals on my VF-1S yesterday. I learned a few things…

1. Applying decals is not entirely compatible with two espressos and no food.
  2. Patience… it took a lot longer for the decals to release than I expected.
  3. The stripes decals do look pretty nice, but I don't regret painting a lot of the black areas.
  4. The vernier decals. Argh! I had a hard time with them. I started with these and tore three of them.
    I had debated about whether or not I should paint the verniers by hand. I decided to paint them, but had mixed results, and then backtracked and went with the decals, mostly. I won't know which technique looks better until after I put a dull coat and weathering over everything.
  5. These Hasegawa decals are really thin. Trying to move them around by poking them with a sharp tool or grabbing them with tweezers off the backing ended badly. As long as I stuck to a brush to move them around I was (mostly) OK.
  6. I am so so so so scared to put on the skull and crossbones.

I had a lot of fun at this stage. It's so rewarding when it all starts to come together. But again: I'm so glad that I decided to do this kit before touching anything I care too much about! (Later I might trash this kit for a DYRL Max/Millia showdown dio.)

post-6299-0-69206700-1429535934_thumb.jpg post-6299-0-32136100-1429535945_thumb.jpg

Yet another modified AFV, this one a bit further off the beaten path.

Panhard EBR with a few tweeks:

New rear deck to replace the "push-me-pull-you" symmetrical design (which is useful, but looks dumb).

New metal wheels all the way around (no rubber tires for this guy).

Image 1 shows the hull immediately after rear driving area was completely removed alongside the newly formed rear deck and extended fenders.

post-659-0-49176700-1429556828_thumb.jpg

Images 2 and 3 are the finished product.

post-659-0-88542400-1429556839_thumb.jpg

post-659-0-19307100-1429556849_thumb.jpg

A bit esoteric, but a nice kit, and a really fun modification.

I finally got to start putting decals on my VF-1S yesterday. I learned a few things…

1. Applying decals is not entirely compatible with two espressos and no food.
  2. Patience… it took a lot longer for the decals to release than I expected.
  3. The stripes decals do look pretty nice, but I don't regret painting a lot of the black areas.
  4. The vernier decals. Argh! I had a hard time with them. I started with these and tore three of them.

I had debated about whether or not I should paint the verniers by hand. I decided to paint them, but had mixed results, and then backtracked and went with the decals, mostly. I won't know which technique looks better until after I put a dull coat and weathering over everything.

5. These Hasegawa decals are really thin. Trying to move them around by poking them with a sharp tool or grabbing them with tweezers off the backing ended badly. As long as I stuck to a brush to move them around I was (mostly) OK.
  6. I am so so so so scared to put on the skull and crossbones.

I had a lot of fun at this stage. It's so rewarding when it all starts to come together. But again: I'm so glad that I decided to do this kit before touching anything I care too much about! (Later I might trash this kit for a DYRL Max/Millia showdown dio.)

attachicon.gifPhoto Apr 19, 10 25 11 AM.jpg attachicon.gifPhoto Apr 19, 10 25 28 AM.jpg

I've found that Hasegawa decals work best with very hot water. I use water out of a electric hot water pot at around 96 degrees Celsius, and soak the decals about 30 seconds. Come right off no problem.

so far I built two hasegawa kit, one is 0D and one is 25S. The newer hasegawa kit has better decals now, they are rather very thick that I even have a hard time destroying the decals using a model knife. The older one is thin and imo, more fragile but really, when compared to Bandai water slide decals, it is still miles ahead.

Meals Rejected by Ethiopians-my gut rumbles at the memory of them!

Some awesome looking stuff guys! No time for modelling working on my schooling. But getting ready for the Daedalus kit in what little time I have.

A couple of weekend projects to include litterally toasting some plastic to make a vacuum pickup for my CNC machine and chilli can for the mold.

My mill seriously lacks power so I made pullies to gear it down. It's still gutless, but works better and adding lube to the cheap bearings that had none quieted it down some.-MT

post-2518-0-57564000-1430740156_thumb.jpg

post-2518-0-52390700-1430740237_thumb.jpg

post-2518-0-94876500-1430740303_thumb.jpg

post-2518-0-24591000-1430740377_thumb.jpg

I've finished my decal work on this kit. @jefuemon you sure are right about hot water for the decals. I was pretty scared about tearing the two jolly roger ones but they went on great.

I'm a little bit frustrated about a crack that appeared in the hip intake as I installed the legs onto the body, and in the legs when I put in the lights. :( Oh, and I accidentally dripped too much CA inside the leg to secure the fins, and it ran up the leg and froze up the left knee! At least it's frozen straight.

It was a beautiful day and I couldn't resist taking a few pictures, even though I'm not quite done! (still to go: clear coat, panel lines, head cannons, rifle…)

post-6299-0-67521500-1430745917_thumb.jpg post-6299-0-41076500-1430745938_thumb.jpg

Hey y'all... just finished this up (almost... some details need to be fixed). Its a Hasegawa F/A-18F kit, in the VFA-2 scheme, using Modern-Hobbies USN/USAF pilots.

9Q1_zps8dnkw00s.jpg
US_Navy_050714-N-0000I-004_F-A-18F_Super
Next one will be a 1/72 Hasegawa VF-1 gerwalk. I'm not sure what scheme I'm going to build however... either the OOB hikaru, or DYRL Hikaru, or Cannon Fodder. Any thoughts?
Edited by Noyhauser

FineMolds is making a new tool 1/72 F-14D to be sold in 3 increments with model graphix magazine. Order now with HLJ!http://www.hlj.com/scripts/hljlist?ItemGroup=MDGMAGF14

If it is anything like their 1/72 Zero, this will be the quinticential F-14D!

Chris

it seems like you need a fourth magazine to get the weapons/missle ala Hasegawa

http://www.hlj.com/product/MDGSA104

it seems like you need a fourth magazine to get the weapons/missle ala Hasegawa

http://www.hlj.com/product/MDGSA104

Its not really worth it. The Fine Molds kit is designed with its panels open, radar exposed and wings swept for parking; Its a major no no to have weapons hanging off the side in that state. I also have about 25 Phoenixes in the box due to building a couple Fujimi kits and an extra hasegawa weapon set. The BOL rail and LANTIRN pod is probably the only thing that you would plausibly see.

So if you want to realistically model the aircraft, then you don't really need the set (actually you shouldn't get the set). If you want to make it "look cool" then I guess you can go with the missiles, but it would look silly to anybody in the know.

Its not really worth it. The Fine Molds kit is designed with its panels open, radar exposed and wings swept for parking; Its a major no no to have weapons hanging off the side in that state. I also have about 25 Phoenixes in the box due to building a couple Fujimi kits and an extra hasegawa weapon set. The BOL rail and LANTIRN pod is probably the only thing that you would plausibly see.

So if you want to realistically model the aircraft, then you don't really need the set (actually you shouldn't get the set). If you want to make it "look cool" then I guess you can go with the missiles, but it would look silly to anybody in the know.

Thanks! That's good to know... I don't think I'll be buying it. The 3 magazines alone work out to over $70 before shipping...

Hey y'all... just finished this up (almost... some details need to be fixed). Its a Hasegawa F/A-18F kit, in the VFA-2 scheme, using Modern-Hobbies USN/USAF pilots.

9Q1_zps8dnkw00s.jpg
Next one will be a 1/72 Hasegawa VF-1 gerwalk. I'm not sure what scheme I'm going to build however... either the OOB hikaru, or DYRL Hikaru, or Cannon Fodder. Any thoughts?

Your F/A-18F build is simply amazing! Glad there are other fans of the VFA-2 scheme (one of my favorites!)

Thanks 505, I actually was surprised how well it turned out. I usually build US Navy fighters a bit more weathered and I was worried this might look too toy-like. Didn't come out so bad, but the landing gear could use a bit more weathering. I've built every major aircraft VF/A-2 has operated: the F-14A, D and now F/A-18F. I'm going to line them up in a few days and take a photo.

9Q1_zps8dnkw00s.jpg

Great build Noyhauser! Looks fantastic! F-18's are certainly one of my favorite fighters!

I'm going to polish up the back part of the blue part as much as possible, I may try the aluminum foil idea...thanks Electric Indigo. Sadly Cap, I have zero practice or skills to try lighting a normal kit, much less a resin one. I will leave that to one of the true masters lurking around here. More updates later this weekend hopefully!