Whats Lying on your Workbench MK IV

Urashiman

No, that's You from Macross Digital Mission VF-X. Each of the kits comes with a figure from the game, but I'm not going to be doing anything with the Milky Dolls.

Cool, not sure why VF-X didn't cross my mind. Love that Flight suit design.

Hello,

arrived today from south korea, M4A3E8 from "D-Corporation" (a Tasca reboxing) :

IMG_0220.jpg

Cool and then I saw this set does not include the characters. That's what I'd buy it for.

FineMolds is making a new tool 1/72 F-14D to be sold in 3 increments with model graphix magazine. Order now with HLJ!http://www.hlj.com/scripts/hljlist?ItemGroup=MDGMAGF14

If it is anything like their 1/72 Zero, this will be the quinticential F-14D!

Chris

Edited by Dobber

FineMolds is making a new tool 1/72 F-14D to be sold in 3 increments with model graphix magazine. Order now with HLJ!http://www.hlj.com/scripts/hljlist?ItemGroup=MDGMAGF14

Chris

probably the wrong thread to ask, but is there other store that can accept order or this is HLJ exclusive?

Chris

Thanks Chris!!! Just pre-ordered all 3 issues... I've been waiting for a new tooled F-14 for ages. I've still got 3 Hasegawas on my pile with just about every Aires/Eduard resin/photo-etched sets available waiting... it's my favourite aircraft. I never knew anything about this, can't wait to see the reviews when it comes out.

Yeah it was news to me as well. Just got the new product news email from HLJ and saw it there and pre-ordered all 3 as well.

As far as where else to order, don't know. I don't think it is an HLJ exclusive though.

Chris

...this will be the quinticential F-14D!

"quintessential"

In other news, I just finished my first (and probably last) Zoid. I really like the idea of a line of a mecha based on animals, but most of the designs I just don't like, and it seems like 80% of them are raptors and tigers [yawn].

But this guy was cheap and looked fun:

post-659-0-49229600-1427738363_thumb.jpg

post-659-0-55852700-1427738385_thumb.jpg

post-659-0-14619300-1427738373_thumb.jpg

Only mods (besides paint) were the replacement of the gun with something less kiddy, cutting down the trunnions a bit, and removing a ground-dragging bump underneath the abdomen.

Edited by Phyrox

After many delays over the last few months, I am happy to report 100% of efforts are now being put into getting Mr. King Crabb finished and off the bench! Got some painting done on the cockpit...kinda just having fun with colors...not gonna see it anyway in the end probably.

post-11393-0-46461100-1428185962_thumb.jpg

post-11393-0-83341000-1428185971_thumb.jpg

post-11393-0-42600700-1428192320_thumb.jpg

post-11393-0-11709600-1428192341_thumb.jpg

Edited by derex3592

After many delays over the last few months, I am happy to report 100% of efforts are now being put into getting Mr. King Crabb finished and off the bench! Got some painting done on the cockpit...kinda just having fun with colors...not gonna see it anyway in the end probably.

Glad I will get to see you bring this to life!

Today's lesson boys and girls is why you should NOT try to take shortcuts. Woke up...thought.."why not just spray paint some of the small orange parts for Mr. King Crabb?, that'll be quick and easy!". Went outside, grabbed spray paint and 4 parts and sprayed them. Mistake. <_< Orange Peel alllll up in my orange paint. :angry: The rest of the afternoon was spent stripping the paint and primer down to the resin, re-sanding, re-primering (twice) :wacko: and THEN at 8PM tonight going back and doing it the RIGHT way. Decant orange spray paint into glass jar. Put paint directly into new badass airbrush, spray. DONE. Absolutely perfect paint job. Here endeth the lesson.

post-11393-0-40675700-1428890849_thumb.jpg

post-11393-0-88369900-1428890852_thumb.jpg

The huge pile of snow in New England is almost gone (!), and the weather was warm and dry enough yesterday to finally get the paint out again.

I need to just get this thing finished. It's Max's VF-1S from the 2nd act of DYRL.

I've had some trouble with my airbrush spitting paint and creating a bumpy surface. I don't know if this is because my paint mix is wrong or my airbrush is adjusted wrong or my airbrush is damaged. I need to get this figured out before I move on to my next kit.

Here we are ready to apply Future before decals:

post-6299-0-33217500-1428938533_thumb.jpg

Looking good! I thought the bluetac you've got your parts stuck into was a gerwalk mode leg there for a second.

Bumpy paint is tricky. I find gloss paint tends to do this more than flat paint. The thinner your paint's consistency, the less likely it is to do this. But pressure and airbrush condition also plays a role. I find when using paints that dry very quickly (I use nothing but acrylics and even with those, some dry faster than others), the needle can often get paint drying on the tip, which causes it to spatter paint, rather than atomising it as it comes out. Maybe double check the tip?

The huge pile of snow in New England is almost gone (!), and the weather was warm and dry enough yesterday to finally get the paint out again.

I need to just get this thing finished. It's Max's VF-1S from the 2nd act of DYRL.

I've had some trouble with my airbrush spitting paint and creating a bumpy surface. I don't know if this is because my paint mix is wrong or my airbrush is adjusted wrong or my airbrush is damaged. I need to get this figured out before I move on to my next kit.

Air pressure, temperature and especially humidity and paint mixture can all play a part in your airbrush spitting paint and getting all kinds of unwanted effects. Do you have a moisture trap in line and a compressor with a regulator on it?

@mickyg, @derex3592: I do have a good moisture trap and regulator, it might be the mix. I have been lazy and trying to save paint by mixing in the airbrush cup, so that is the first thing I should rule out. I have a quite old Paasche H model and paint does tend to collect at the needle. I have to twist the tip to clear paint that collects there sometimes. There's a chance the needle might be bent, too. It looks as if these parts are so cheap… maybe I should just replace them instead of stressing about it. Oh, and mix my paint outside the cup :mellow:

I find that if its orange peely its usually too low of a pressure with too thick of a paint mixture. It should be about the consistency of milk at around 15-18psi (for my Tamiya Acrylics). If its bumpy like a sandpapery texture, its too high of a air pressure and the paint it drying before it hits your model. If paint collects at the nozzle, its usually a bent needle or that its not seated within the nozzle evenly (inside nozzle opening could have a nick or bent as well).

Good luck!

@mickyg, @derex3592: I do have a good moisture trap and regulator, it might be the mix. I have been lazy and trying to save paint by mixing in the airbrush cup, so that is the first thing I should rule out. I have a quite old Paasche H model and paint does tend to collect at the needle. I have to twist the tip to clear paint that collects there sometimes. There's a chance the needle might be bent, too. It looks as if these parts are so cheap… maybe I should just replace them instead of stressing about it. Oh, and mix my paint outside the cup :mellow:

I had a Paasche H i used for over 20 years and I do remember it doing that quite a bit. It speckled on me a lot, and I really only use it now for clearcoats sometimes.

Hi everyone,

Here is a little something I been working on since I started loving Robotech. I know this battle Pod needed some love so here is what I did and I'm still adding more stuff to him. I will be adding handles in his cockpit upper and lower plus i'll be adding a LED for his eyes. I do custom transformers and Gundams as my hobby, so well here is a custom battle Pod. Hope you all enjoy it more to come.

Thank you,

Jeff

post-15381-0-18759900-1429233362_thumb.jpg

post-15381-0-32476200-1429233373_thumb.jpg

post-15381-0-55906800-1429233387_thumb.jpg

Today's fun was clear blue acrylic for the eyeball and I'm also trying something new for the cockpit glass. It looks gloss black in the anime, but I thought a dark tint would be cooler, so I'm trying many, many, many coats of Tamiya smoke. We'll see how things turnout. Also got the leg side panels masked and painted green. Boring so no pic. EDIT! This afternoon I looked at my screen caps of the mecha and those leg parts were supposed to be orange!!! DOHH!!! :o:lol::mellow: . Back we go to the workbench to have a paint thinner/toothbrush party! :D

post-11393-0-62942600-1429463129_thumb.jpg

post-11393-0-89166000-1429463144_thumb.jpg

Edited by derex3592