Whats Lying on your Workbench MK IV

Urashiman

Who doesn't love pickles? :D BTW, what scale are those?

Those are the old Arii 1/20000 scale kits. Each one takes about 1 hour to build. But of course the detailing is going to take much longer than that!

Arii? Wow, you did an awesome job on those, especially considering how old those kits are. I built a really old VF-1J Max in battroid mode from Arii, and the fit on the parts was an absolute nightmare. I remember one of the forearms parts was really warped.

Aesthetically and articulation-wise, the Max kit is also really showing it's age compared to the Hasegawa kits.

Edited by GU-11

Experiement with some super glue solvent (there are super glue removers specifically for this)? I'd try it somewhere inconspicuous, like maybe on a mating surface of one of the arms? Except if it does react, it might leave an ugly mark or cause stress to the mating surface...

Anyone else know if super glue remover reacts with acrylic before my advice potentially ruins a beautiful YetiStand?

EDIT:

Just did some googling - Superglue is acrylic. So don't try anything that will be a solvent on super glue as there's every chance it'll mar the acrylic surface of the stand as well.

Looks like your best bet is to get it off mechanically. Try a sharp razor blade and then sand it smooth with finer and finer grades of sandpaper. Finish it by polishing.

Edited by mickyg

I screwed up and got some damn superglue on my acrylic YetiStands...it kinda marred the surface and looks like sh*t. I tried Goo Gone, paint thinner and Windex....anybody got any better ideas or am I screwed???

Unfortunately, its likely that you are. Superglue will fog up clear parts, to the extent that they change their chemical composition. You can't do much about it either... sanding it down won't do much, especially if you dropped it directly on it. Its a problem for Vacuform canopies, which need a strong fastener, but are easily damaged by CA fumes or direct contact.

For future reference, you can prevent some damage if you put a coat of future down first. It acts as a protective barrier that will prevent serious fogging and crystallization.

I screwed up and got some damn superglue on my acrylic YetiStands...it kinda marred the surface and looks like sh*t. I tried Goo Gone, paint thinner and Windex....anybody got any better ideas or am I screwed???

Not so much a solution as it is a workaround, but at this rate, you might as well just paint up the base of the stand in matte gray or something. From the posts above, it seems like there's very little you can do to save the finishing on the stand.

Sorry if this doesn't really help.

What if he tries to spray some acrylic gloss varnish? To me it would be less opaque if using something like http://www.humbrol.com/coatings-thinners/varnishes/spray-varnishes/35-acrylic-varnish-gloss-150ml-spray-varnish.html

If it is as I think it is, it won't help. That will just cover over the issue, when the CA will have altered the properties of the plastic/acrylic. Really there is nothing you can do, save for painting over the entire thing a different colour.

I wish I had a photo of a kit's canopy I crazed, but I don't... sufficed to say I've ruined a number of canopies and needed to replace them due to this problem.

Edited by Noyhauser

Started the last Pickle. After primary build, time for puttying, painting, and detailing.

I recommend these kits. Even though they're old, they build really easy, and have pretty good detail for their age and size. Don't pay too much for them, though. I got the whole set of 4 for around ï¿¥2000 at Mandarake.

post-12411-0-42642800-1422956075_thumb.jpg

it was supposed to be on the most recent macross toy purchase but I went ahead and did a color swap to the 25G Super parts (5k yen from Mandarake).

To play it safe so I can transfer it on another 25 (if ever I get another armor parts), I choose medium sea gray from Tamiya (AS32)

There are four plastic piece that still needs color swapping then everything will be lined and flat coated similar to the 25F.

WP_20150204_0051_zpse6ef228b.jpg

Finally got a day off today, so first thing I did was finish up my Shapeways YF-19 Arm Weapon. Looks pretty cool. However, I think I'm officially done with Shapeways. The material is just to hard to work with to make it fun. Not to mention its its pretty pricey. On to masking Tie Bomber wings!post-11393-0-57952400-1423074800_thumb.jpg

post-11393-0-51446600-1423092575_thumb.jpg

post-11393-0-65046600-1423092597_thumb.jpg

post-11393-0-21999400-1423092608_thumb.jpg

post-11393-0-67913400-1423092619_thumb.jpg

post-11393-0-62904800-1423092632_thumb.jpg

Edited by derex3592

Looking good derex... I can commiserate about hard materials but you did a bang up job.

A little more progress on the Shornet... Painted some of the detail areas like the tail leading

9G3_zps5e7a2a58.jpg

And the top 1/2 of the aircraft.

9G4_zpsb93fb64c.jpg

That's all for now...

Edited by Noyhauser

Well, got some painting done on Mr. Tie Bomber. I have to admit, the light grey isn't really doing it for me. As much as I reeeeaaally don't wanna mask the solar panels again, I really think I need to mix a custom blu-er grey to make myself happy. I hate being a perfectionist...siiiiigh

post-11393-0-89780400-1423614319_thumb.jpg

post-11393-0-63956000-1423614335_thumb.jpg

Well regardless of the shade of gray, that's a really crisp paint job.

Yeah, masking sucks.

EDIT: I meant it's the task of masking a figure or kit that sucks, not the quality of your masking. Just realize how nebulous that sounded when I read that again today.

Edited by GU-11

@Mechleader---I don't know what scale it actually is...if you look at the wings, which originally were the same ones used for Darth Vader's Tie in ANH, compared to the ANH 1:72 Bandai kit, then these are larger. However, cockpit parts look to be closer to my FineMolds 1:48 Tie, so I don't know, the kit is probably in between somewhere.

@GU-11---no worries, I know what you meant the first time, and I totally agree.

@Jefeumon---totally loving the old school Kermit The Frog giant bells on top alarm clock!

Edited by derex3592