Whats Lying on your Workbench MK IV

Urashiman

I shop where ever is cheapest for what I want. Since paint can't be shipped by individuals from Japan anymore that's mostly what I buy locally. Hobby King up in Markham has the full Mr. Color rack. AnimeXtreme downtown has half a rack but it's a dollar cheaper per bottle of paint and Mr. Thinner is $3 cheaper. Probably another dozen places or so around with Tamiya paint.

At this point kits all get bought online, but there is a new place that opened a few months ago out in Mississauga called ukato.ca and they're prices for Bandai kits are easily the best in the Greater Toronto Area, especially with the Christmas discount they have going now. If I need an emergency kit (unlikely given the tons I already have...) that's probably where I'll go.

EDIT: I occasionally forget to maintain this: http://www.hobbyfanatics.com/index.php?/topic/1859-greater-toronto-area-ontario-canada/

Looks like Ukato is just two buildings away from my in'laws place of work, hopefully I can drop in there when I'm around for New Years. Thanks for the reference link too, I just discovered Panther hobbies in October of this year after discovering North Star had ceased.

That's a very awesome looking magical flying trapezoid. I hope I can eventually work my way towards such clean builds. For not I just stick to dirty paint jobs to hide all the mistakes.

I tried doing the inverse of the previous technique. Took some Smoke Grey thinned out with clear and sprayed on the edges of the panel lines.

PlpUt2u.jpg

This came out a bit messier than spraying a lighter shade in the middle, but hey that's what the practice kit is for :D

Ok, I know I've been taking a while, so here are some update photo's of Yamato. I decided to do some more detailing, and as it is a big ship........ it's going to take a bit longer. Good news is, I'm on vacation at the moment and I've been working on her steadily for the past few days. ;)

post-265-0-70277100-1419187041_thumb.jpg

post-265-0-46388100-1419187077_thumb.jpg

post-265-0-52731600-1419187145_thumb.jpg

post-265-0-55185900-1419187171_thumb.jpg

post-265-0-43917100-1419187213_thumb.jpg

post-265-0-39809800-1419187240_thumb.jpg

post-265-0-06365600-1419187272_thumb.jpg

Chris

Edited by Dobber

oh dear god...I remember that kit. Here's a tip---the small round pegs that attach the arms to the body are sh*t plastic. Be super careful when trying to attach the arms to the body. One of mine sheared in half and it was only through the miracle of Pro-Weld that the kit sits completed on my shelf.

oh dear god...I remember that kit. Here's a tip---the small round pegs that attach the arms to the body are sh*t plastic. Be super careful when trying to attach the arms to the body. One of mine sheared in half and it was only through the miracle of Pro-Weld that the kit sits completed on my shelf.

Thanks for that, it is duly noted!

I'm next to an absolute novice when it comes to building large models too, so I need all the help I can get :p

That is a kit that will test your patience for sure. Good luck! Keep us posted on your progress! In other news, I got tired of waiting for the weather to cooperate, so I tried the warm the primer spray can in hot water trick and went ahead and got my first round of primer down on King Crab in the garage today. Worked great.

post-11393-0-90862600-1419374258_thumb.jpg

I'm not going to win modeller of the year with her, but here she is.

post-30014-0-75125500-1419559188_thumb.jpg

Unfortunately (my one big mistake) in a moment of doubt while assembling I managed to mix the arms up, so the model's arms hang floppily at it's side.

There are also a few unsightly gaps (and a couple of sprue notches that I hadn't anticipated being visible) in places that I will do my best to cover up, and I decided not to use all of the transfers as the yellow stripes were just falling apart and making me un-necessarily angry!

I am pleased to report that I had no problems with the quality of the plastic when attaching the arms though.

I'm a seasoned 28mm miniature painter but a kit of this size was something new for me, I painted the kit with Citadel paints and I think they fit the bill nicely.

Just an update. it seems to have worked, but my genius idea of mixing different brands of dye (local dye available, color black) is the cause of my dismay.

it would have worked fine if only I had more patience and experimented with it. Anyway, my purpose of the experiment is to have a good color base so that at least, when paint start to chips, there will not be a big contrast since the plastic is really bright white

32a31ce5-ad27-4ab5-842d-6bc10a2333c8_zps

I will paint this with tamiya AS-11 spray can and if it the detail is still there, I will plan a camo paint scheme (I got AS10 and AS25 lying around)

The model Santa was good to me this year! I continue to be impressed with the new BanDai kits. They are just on another level now. However, with that said, this one was soooo close to being perfect, it looked like you could separate the black panels from the wing frames as they seemed to be on separate sprues, but alas, you can't! They are molded together. Whyyyyy Bandai why???!!! The Tie Bomber came from a fellow Macrossworlder. I was a little trepadtatious about it after the one review I could find online, but mine looks great! Great detail and there won't be much parts cleanup.

post-11393-0-79055800-1419632543_thumb.jpg

post-11393-0-27604200-1419632558_thumb.jpg

post-11393-0-12292200-1419632571_thumb.jpg

post-11393-0-40620300-1419632580_thumb.jpg

I'm not going to win modeller of the year with her, but here she is.

attachicon.gifGlaug1.JPG

I'm a seasoned 28mm miniature painter but a kit of this size was something new for me, I painted the kit with Citadel paints and I think they fit the bill nicely.

Nice job, citadel colours are my go to sometimes and occasionally I mix them to get "real life" colours. Nice thing about them is that they are pretty durable. I can't help but be reminded of the Marauder and playing battletech on PC.

The model Santa was good to me this year! I continue to be impressed with the new BanDai kits. They are just on another level now. However, with that said, this one was soooo close to being perfect, it looked like you could separate the black panels from the wing frames as they seemed to be on separate sprues, but alas, you can't! They are molded together. Whyyyyy Bandai why???!!! The Tie Bomber came from a fellow Macrossworlder. I was a little trepadtatious about it after the one review I could find online, but mine looks great! Great detail and there won't be much parts cleanup.

Congrats Derex!

How is it compared to the Fine Molds version? The black part being attached to the grey would suck if you're going to paint it (which most "real" modelers would) - is it geared towards Gunplay type of building (which drove me nuts on the Macross Frontier models). Why is there two version of Darth Vader, one and a mini me - did Bandai get the scale right of the cockpit?

Congrats Derex!

How is it compared to the Fine Molds version? The black part being attached to the grey would suck if you're going to paint it (which most "real" modelers would) - is it geared towards Gunplay type of building (which drove me nuts on the Macross Frontier models). Why is there two version of Darth Vader, one and a mini me - did Bandai get the scale right of the cockpit?

I just watched a review of the Fine Molds kit to see if the wings are any different. They are...but not in a way that's any better than the Bandai wings. On either kit, u are masking the black and then the grey. Bummer. :-(. This kit, much like the 1:500 Yamato is pretty much meant to be snap tite and not painted, with a choice of stickers or water slide decals. That's great and all for beginners, but I wish they would have made the wings parts seperate for older more experienced modelers. FineMolds did it on the 1:48 Tie I built. That kit was perfect in my opinion. And yes...standing and pilot Vader are included. Not sure on correct scaling.

Boss, the Glaug came out good, especially for a first big build.

Derex, I like that primer and finished the Daedalus with it. When it comes to weather, humidity is hard to get around. But with the cold, I find rattle cans are alright to spray even near freezing outside. Then I just bring them inside to dry in a closet or the laundry room.

Chyll, the dying came out better than what I've seen elsewhere. Just tell everyone you meant to make it look camo'ed ;-) - MT

Chyll, the dying came out better than what I've seen elsewhere. Just tell everyone you meant to make it look camo'ed ;-) - MT

Thanks, I was actually happy when I saw it. From what I heard, it can be better and faster if I used a iDye Poly and not Rit.

Random rant, today should be my Painting day but the weather ended up being bad (heavy clouds like it is gonna rain any moment). I can only spray paint using cans so I need to do it outside :(

DSC_7620_zps202826f0.jpg

took the engine intakes from a donor valkyrie since it have two parts that requires masking and another painting.

need tip on how to line up the fuselage cleanly without glue. I alredy sanded down the pegs and it just wont line up (I cant get where the resistance is coming)