Whats Lying on your Workbench MK IV

Urashiman

Today's lesson at the paint bench.....apparently you can't decant and airbrush Tamiya Fine Surface Primer.... It didn't go well. Guess I'll just have to keep using it out of the can. Hard to do on complex shapes. Was hoping for an easy airbrush solution. Thoughts???

Today's lesson at the paint bench.....apparently you can't decant and airbrush Tamiya Fine Surface Primer.... It didn't go well. Guess I'll just have to keep using it out of the can. Hard to do on complex shapes. Was hoping for an easy airbrush solution. Thoughts???

Have you tried something like Mr. Surfacer 1200 thinned with a lacquer thinner?

The project I was working on back in post 2638 is done.

A couple of new issues I'd never run in to:

- the electrical tape I used for the masking left residue on the turret that WOULD NOT be removed. Warm water + soap? No. Light sanding with water? No. Goo Gone? Disastrous no.

Several places online suggested Goo Gone as a safe removal tool. I tested it on the underside of the turret, and all it did was turn whatever it touched into goo. Paint was smudged and removed, and the residue was just smeared into an even worse condition. What do you experts usually do in this situation?

- The new Testor's dull coat I used after the gloss + decal application left the model just as glossy as it had been prior. I decided to re-gloss the turret, then use the old nearly empty dull coat can I was about to throw away, and that actually gave me good results. Incidentally, these 4 top coats also eliminated most evidence of the masking residue mentioned above...so I guess that's a silver lining.

Here's my Sherman Elephant, Turret dull coat still drying:

post-659-0-83126000-1414999549_thumb.jpg

post-659-0-01361500-1414999559_thumb.jpg

Basic Tamiya M4A3E2 Jumbo, with side armor plates left off and turret scratch build from sheet styrene and surface detailed cribbed from the Jumbo.

Barrel travel lock and muzzle brake stolen from a Dicker Max.

- the electrical tape I used for the masking left residue on the turret that WOULD NOT be removed. (...)

I've found duct tape also leaves a nasty residue on things (thankfully it wasn't a model).

Have you tried using the straight edge of a credit card and warming the adhesive with a hairdryer just before scraping?

Edited by sketchley

Tamiya masking is absolutely the only way to go on most projects. I did try clear scotch not long ago where I had a situation where I needed to cut along a curved panel line so I could see what I was doing. Worked pretty well actually.

No I haven't tried Mr. anything because it's impossible to get where I live. Guess I'll order some next time I do a mail order paint order.

Finally finished the Battletech Longbow CB/AAD (Counter-Battery/Anti-Aircraft Defense):

111_3904_zps2e792ee9.jpg

111_3898_zps70d6ebd0.jpg

111_3897_zps47fd4fb9.jpg

111_3894_zps1bf757f1.jpg

Comments and criticism welcome.

Kenny

I like this kitbash !!!. A little bit of everything and voilá... a fully operational battroid custom model !!

Primary build is done, puttied what needs to be puttied. Sand tomorrow probably, then on to prime and paint; probably about a month's work there.

post-12411-0-54034900-1415081951_thumb.jpg

post-12411-0-43487400-1415081965_thumb.jpg

Finished off the HG V2 Gundam.

post-3910-0-27523000-1415155364_thumb.jpgpost-3910-0-97338100-1415155368_thumb.jpg

post-3910-0-11496000-1415155373_thumb.jpgpost-3910-0-42936200-1415155377_thumb.jpg

Parts of this kit were extremely fiddly (specifically the arms), and the weak torso joint, moving backpack parts and elbow/shoulder armour make it a real challenge to get it posed in a half-decent looking pose.

The core fighter that comes with the kit was also disappointing - no moving parts, and, surprisingly, no sticker for the canopy glass!

The good parts of the kit are the faithful reproduction of the arms (even though they are fiddly), and the moving parts of the backpack and feet.

Aside from panel lining/light weathering, the kit is unpainted/unmodified.

Finished off the HG V2 Gundam.

attachicon.gifVgun01.jpgattachicon.gifVgun02.jpg

attachicon.gifVgun03.jpgattachicon.gifVgun04.jpg

Parts of this kit were extremely fiddly (specifically the arms), and the weak torso joint, moving backpack parts and elbow/shoulder armour make it a real challenge to get it posed in a half-decent looking pose.

The core fighter that comes with the kit was also disappointing - no moving parts, and, surprisingly, no sticker for the canopy glass!

The good parts of the kit are the faithful reproduction of the arms (even though they are fiddly), and the moving parts of the backpack and feet.

Aside from panel lining/light weathering, the kit is unpainted/unmodified.

I used to have this kit and regret not keeping it (got lost between CA & KS). I remember it being a bit fiddly myself, still its size alone makes it a great MS kit!

I've been trying to get off my lazy ass and start building again the last few days. And coincidentally, it's the same kit as Jefuemon's!

I'd started this one a few years ago, but didn't get very far with it. So far, I've just been doing assembly on the main sections, leaving the smaller bits in the box for now. It's already taking some work getting gaps filled (with epoxy putty and surfacer) and adjusting the fit on a few parts.

I'm hoping I haven't bitten off more than I can chew with this one, seeing as I haven't finished a kit in years now. I'd hate to end up ruining such an expensive kit. But I feel better knowing that it'll be damn near worthless once the Hasegawa version is out next year :p

post-50-0-72511600-1415168860_thumb.jpg

But I feel better knowing that it'll be damn near worthless once the Hasegawa version is out next year :p

I think that's the reason I've been seeing many of the 1/3000 Yamato assembly kits popping up on Yahoo Japan auction recently.

Started priming and painting. Shouldn't take me as long as I thought it would. Lately, I'd been having problems with my masking removing the prime and paint job on resin kits, so this one I thought I'd just stick with Mr. Surfacer instead of Mr. Resin Primer. Mr. Surfacer seems to be sticking a lot better than Mr. Resin Primer ever did, which is weird since you'd think it'd be the other way around.

Sorry, but no more pics until I'm finished. B))

Decided to take out the Spartan I was working on a long time ago. I wanted to lighten up the panels so I did that, just to shade them again O_o

Its the old Bandai 1/72,, and a LOT of filler

post-129-0-51184900-1416188038_thumb.jpg

Edited by pfunk

1/144? Or is that a big pot of tamiya. I ended up with the 1/72 Esci sea harrier and a marine hasegawa version coming across the pacific. :)

This is the 1/72 Esci GR 3. Despite the "laser nose", it's a small bird, shorter than an F-16.

The kit has fairly good surface details, but be prepared for some putty work to blend in the forward section. I also lengthened the nose about 2 mms.

So this f*cking bullsh*t happened today....was moving the diorama and the Invid fell off and hit the tile floor. Not a good moment. What really sux is some of the paint chipped off all the way down to the resin, that's gonna be damn near impossible to fix. FML

*update---after getting some sleep and taking a look, I think I can put Humpty Dumpty back together again. All the parts that came off broke at the connection point, nothing snapped irregularly, so all in all...could have been worse! My own stupid fault for not moving the Invid separately from the diorama.

post-11393-0-28795500-1416532377_thumb.jpg

Edited by derex3592

Just finished up a commission build Tomcat.

Kit is the 1/48 scale Academy F-14.

Robbed the GE engines off of an old F-14B kit I built back in 2004 that got junked

Decals are from the fightertown decals sheet.

Used putty to create the GE engine fairings. I didn't modify the tops of the engine barrels (shouldn't be any panel lines on F-14B/D engine barrels), but I did fill in the ones on the bottom.

20141122_022834_zpsptr0jwjo.jpg

20141122_022817_zpss1z4m0c1.jpg

20141122_023042_zps0djbuzc9.jpg