Whats Lying on your Workbench MK IV

Urashiman

Amazing work on the Gamo, can't wait to see it finished. Very sharp.

My adventures with modifying WWII AFVs continue.

I finished another Tank Destoryer, this one using the hull of a post-war Jagdpanzer Kanone with the gun, roof, and engine deck of a Jg.Pz.IV

I would have maybe liked to have further "WWII-erized" it by changing the tracks and giving it a front-mounted transmission, but I didn't want this one to take too much time. Got several projects in my head and want to get to 'em.

post-659-0-68263800-1407974024_thumb.jpg

post-659-0-15349800-1407974041_thumb.jpg

The next one is nearly done, a dangerously up-gunned Pz.III. I initially planned for it to mount an L48 gun, but I had an extra giant barrel laying around...and it looked really good with the turret. This one might be pretty unrealistic, but I'm having a good time with it.

That hull is unmodified, save for the sloped front plate.

The turret from a Panther obviously, cut down and narrowed.

post-659-0-77281000-1407973979_thumb.jpg

post-659-0-38599600-1407973999_thumb.jpg

Edited by Phyrox

Pulled my 1/32 scale F-4J back out of the box. Had gotten it to the priming stage last year, then had to box it up since it got too cold to paint with the window open, and it's too big for my exhaust hood.

post-12411-0-70614400-1408025865_thumb.jpg

It's good to see kits coming back out of the box! I know I have too many still waiting in limbo. And she's a Skull, huh?

Cool.

After-market decals, but yes, it'll be a Jolly Rogers.

If you meant unbuilt, some pointers are:

- check all the pins are of the specified size (diameter and length) before you shove it into the hole. Once in, they're very hard to remove. Had to remove one before, it wasn't fun...

- if you intend to make it transformable and fully painted, there are some parts where you'll have to sand down to make sure that the contact point is minimized to prevent scratching

- test fit and see what parts go where before you commit to building the part fully

- check which surfaces are exposed to know what to paint and what you don't have to paint. Don't want to paint one part and let it dry only to realise after fitting that you left something unpainted.

- a pair of pliers come in handy too.

Ultimately, just to take it slow and don't rush things cause if you do, you might either hurt yourself or fix a part wrongly. (had both happen to me. lol)

Instruction manual's in japanese and can be easily figured out. But i referred from this site (credits to mech9) as it's translated and it prevents the hassle of taking the booklet out. :lol:

That's all I can think of off the top of my head now. If you wanna know anything else, feel free to pm me. I'll help how I can. :)

No problem. :)

It's a fun, sometimes frustrating, build.

Oh, you'll need something to widen some of the holes for the pins. Some of them just don't fit.... A small diameter drill can help if you have one. I used a slightly larger diameter screwdriver than the specified hole, enlarged it and forced the pin in..

Thanks again.

When you painted it, what paints did you use, acrylic? Did you use a primer?

Did you spray the whole thing one colour, then mask and paint the other colours on top.

If so, did the paint cover the existing paint ok?

Sorry to pester you, just don't want to make a mess of it.

derex that turquoise/blue looks really great. Nice paint job.

Thanks again.

When you painted it, what paints did you use, acrylic? Did you use a primer?
Did you spray the whole thing one colour, then mask and paint the other colours on top.
If so, did the paint cover the existing paint ok?

Sorry to pester you, just don't want to make a mess of it.

I used gunze acrylics. You could prime it if you wanted to. I didn't.

I brush paint my kits. You could mask specific areas then paint first colour then mask and paint the other colour etc. This is probably best as you'll have an even coat of paint and not too thick.

I went the lazy way. I drew the edges of the different colours with pencil then painted purple, masked purple, painted red and masked red and lastly the blue. So yeah, there were some going over another colour. Needed a few coats to cover it. Try not to overdo it or you'll lose the panel details.

No worries. Glad to help. Just shoot more questions if you need to.

derex that turquoise/blue looks really great. Nice paint job.

I used gunze acrylics. You could prime it if you wanted to. I didn't.

I brush paint my kits. You could mask specific areas then paint first colour then mask and paint the other colour etc. This is probably best as you'll have an even coat of paint and not too thick.

I went the lazy way. I drew the edges of the different colours with pencil then painted purple, masked purple, painted red and masked red and lastly the blue. So yeah, there were some going over another colour. Needed a few coats to cover it. Try not to overdo it or you'll lose the panel details.

No worries. Glad to help. Just shoot more questions if you need to.

Thanks again Falcon.

I'm gonna get the airbrush out of retirement and have a go. The model is all built, so now I've taken it apart again ready for painting.

I've always used enamels in the past, but I want to give acrylics a try just in case everything goes south.

My chosen scheme is pretty ambitious, so best to err on the side of caution. :lol:

Sunday afternoon at the paint/workbench. Gettin there...

That's looking great. Do you plan on weathering it?

DONE! :wub: Bravo to John Moscato (aka Capt. America) for making a childhood dream come true with an absolutely astonishing kit. Parts separate out well for painting before assembly. No tricky assembly at all. It's a fun build. I hope I did it justice! Definitely not for beginners, or for someone who's never done a resin kit. ---- Sorry..but I was having fun with my camera and some good ole showdown pics! The good guys were outnumbered..but then they got backup!!! :lol:

post-11393-0-65949800-1409609958_thumb.jpg

post-11393-0-90659800-1409609985_thumb.jpg

post-11393-0-24233300-1409610037_thumb.jpg

post-11393-0-52576300-1409610050_thumb.jpg

post-11393-0-38229500-1409610064_thumb.jpg

post-11393-0-44905900-1409610073_thumb.jpg

post-11393-0-81627600-1409610083_thumb.jpg

post-11393-0-81487400-1409610091_thumb.jpg

post-11393-0-97123100-1409610098_thumb.jpg

post-11393-0-53003400-1409610180_thumb.jpg

post-11393-0-71727800-1409610186_thumb.jpg