Whats Lying on your Workbench MK IV

Urashiman

I think it looks right in the first picture, but maybe it is the lighting that is throwing it off in the second pic. That being said I am far from an inbit scholar so take my advice with a grain of salt.

I'm still happy to watch your progress however. :)

That second pic wasn't there! Derexed!!! :p

That Spartan looks like a trophy... Congrats AcroRay! You won Macross!!!:D

WP_20140727_003_zpsa0d9b3c2.jpg

vf-1A still unpainted, still undecided on what scheme it would be. Plus I cant seem to snap-fit the leg joint in the steel like bar

sazabi still needs decals and nub mark clean up. in WIP since February :p

impulse kind of thing, added a stripe on the VF-25A. it needs clean up so I will try to address the problem when it is fully cured. if i cant fix it, I would purposely destroy some line details in the name of weathering :lol:

WP_20140727_003_zpsa0d9b3c2.jpg

vf-1A still unpainted, still undecided on what scheme it would be. Plus I cant seem to snap-fit the leg joint in the steel like bar

sazabi still needs decals and nub mark clean up. in WIP since February :p

impulse kind of thing, added a stripe on the VF-25A. it needs clean up so I will try to address the problem when it is fully cured. if i cant fix it, I would purposely destroy some line details in the name of weathering :lol:

They look nice. Though, it looks like the VF-1's wings are on upside down.

Chris

1st try with Tamiya TS-15 Blue spray can. Thoughts? ... I think I like it. For the price of these damn cans, I think I have to..LOL. Looks like I got a bit of orange peel as it was very humid this morning. Uhhhgggg.

The left picture look great :)

Well, me being me, I decided to go to Home Depot and see what colors they had to offer. There's this color...which I sprayed over a flat black primer coat... Which part of me likes better than the blue because in my minds eye in the show it was somewhere more along the lines of this. All opinions welcome.

post-11393-0-90149300-1406419514_thumb.jpg

post-11393-0-40870400-1406419685_thumb.jpg

Edited by derex3592

The replacement Enterprise D kit along with all the lighting supplies are all nice and tucked away deep in a closet for sometime far, far in the future....when I'm feeling like I have a bit more talent.

Edited by derex3592

They look nice. Though, it looks like the VF-1's wings are on upside down.

Chris

Is that what has become of the Enterprise D, a testbed for paint colours?

Facepalm indeed ;)

yes, Old Man is correct. There are still covers that are not yet attached. I initially thought there must be some kind of reason why it needs to be molded separately but on another thought, I think it is built that way to make the Wing molding easier and to easily ensure that the missile hardpoint will be molded correctly.

It's called Slate Blue. However, after pulling out my DVDs and checking each episode this particular mecha appears in, I'm deciding to not go with any color I've tried so far. All the pics on the net are wrong. I'm going for exactly as it is in the anime, and it doesn't really change as far as I can tell. So the hunt continues!!! More to come.

The weather gods smiled down on TX today and we got semi-low humidity and 80 for a high in July! Sooo..we got some painting done! White parts only--Done with Tamiya spray can TS "Pure White" and some other parts airbrushed with Model Master Enamel "Classic White". Then I decided to do an experiment. Anyone ever tried to airbrush decanted spray paint??? Guess what?? It works GREAT!!! You don't have to thin it!!! I watched a couple of quick videos on the net and tried it myself. It's so easy!!! If you wanna know how I did it, just PM me or google "how to decant spray paint". Now I can mix a lacquer or enamel blue green from spray can colors and shoot it through my airbrush! Muhahahaha!! :ph34r:B))

post-11393-0-20471100-1406846102_thumb.jpg

post-11393-0-58576600-1406846109_thumb.jpg

post-11393-0-89624400-1406846119_thumb.jpg

It's really time for me to decant my spray bottles. I saw a video that anime52k8 posted a while back, prolly the same one you watched. Before that, I just sprayed a can into a bottle... there was no mess, but I noticed it was fizzing, so I left it out for a few minutes and then put the lid on it. The next day I discovered it exploded all over the model I was painting... lol.

I just saw an Australian guy decant some primer into an empty tamiya bottle. He says that after you fill the bottle, to stir it to remove the gas. Once all the bubbles are gone, you can store it. Another guy says to leave it for an hour open.

From experience: stir it until it stops bubbling, screw the cap on loosely and let it sit until the paint is room temperature, then carefully remove the cap and stir again until it stops bubbling. the bubbles in the paint are just like the fizz in soda, it's gas dissolved in liquid. Have you ever noticed how soda goes flat faster when it's warm vs when it's cold? same deal.

From experience: stir it until it stops bubbling, screw the cap on loosely and let it sit until the paint is room temperature, then carefully remove the cap and stir again until it stops bubbling. the bubbles in the paint are just like the fizz in soda, it's gas dissolved in liquid. Have you ever noticed how soda goes flat faster when it's warm vs when it's cold? same deal.

Very true. I never thought of it that way.

Gentleman...and ladies..if there are any..LOL...I give you..the color! It's a 4 to 1 mix of Rustoleum Blue enamel (same as Tamiya Sky Blue) and Rustoleum Lagoon enamel. Both decanted from spray cans and shot through my airbrush. I know many will not be feeling my choice, but after checking and rechecking my Robotech Remastered DVDs as they are the best possible transfer I know of..I feel this is a very approximate color match for most scenes in the anime. Disclaimer....my cell phone camera couldn't get a perfect color match pic to satisfy me, flash or no flash, it's a little blue-er than it looks like. Anyways ...onward and upward!

post-11393-0-76151000-1406946596_thumb.jpg

post-11393-0-81797300-1406946611_thumb.jpg

post-11393-0-33466500-1406946624_thumb.jpg

Edited by derex3592

again, talking from personal experience: it just might be my luck, but the cheapest bendy straws they sell at Safeway fit over the nozzle so perfectly that I don't even need to bother with tape. also, I like bendy straws because you don't have to hold the can up and point it directly into the jar you're filling. Oh, another thing, instead of going strait into a glass jar, spray into a paper Dixie cup first, it actually releases gas faster that way.

I've had it suggested to me several times to try flipping the can over, holding the nozzle down as if you were clearing it for storage until there's no pressure left at all, and then puncture the can and drain it that way. I've never actually tried it so I have no idea if it's any easier.

This isn't near as awesome as some of the stuff that you all work on, but I repainted this Adventure Wheels 1:18 Honda XR400R as a military themed dirt bike for my Acid Rain World figures.

I had a lot of fun adding the mud effects. I had no idea it'd be so easy!

PHOTO_20140806_210107_zpsad3760db.jpg

Still have to add mud to the wheels, but I'm 95% of the way there.