Whats Lying on your Workbench MK IV

Urashiman

Thanks Phyrox... nice tanks too! I really like 1/72 for that subject... it allows you to do more vehicles in a smaller area. On that note I actually have two more things I'm up to...

I got a set of tanks for christmas as a gift. One was the Hasegawa 1/72 Tiger, which is a bit underscale. However I've been building it all the same. I had quite a bit of fun doing the zimmerit out of milliput.

8H15_zps4ea929ab.jpg

The second is my current holy grail kit (well one of several), the Italeri F-35. I'll also get the academy, kitthawk and Hasegawa ones when they come out.

8F3_zpse35fe6ed.jpg

Edited by Noyhauser

1/72 custom zimmerit? That is impressive. Most impressive.

I used to build 1/72 tanks, as I like everything to be in scale together...but for customs and kitbashing 1/35 is just so much more forgiving.

Those hull extensions on that (A)SU-85, a mm of measuring error would have been really noticeable in 1/72. Here it's nothing some filler or some sanding can't fix.

Hehe, that's the stuff Noyhauser. So that is the Fine Molds kit? I expected better. I'm sure you did too. Guess I better get started on the Dragon version soon? :)

Nice save with the aluminum look. I don't think I'll attempt that myself, maybe try the overall metal look with the mottle some Japanese planes carry. I'm liking those tanks you guys put up too, that zimmermit must be a satisfying sight after all the patience you put into it.

Does anyone have the unicorn decals in 1:48, for the tails on Area 88 planes (like Shin's F-20 Tigershark)?

After watching the OVA's and series, I'm going to take the old 80's "translucent plastic" Phantom kit I have, and do a blue over grey scheme with "A88" tail code markings, but the only decal I found, is on a 1:72 resin Crusader kit for $100+ on ebay.

You can get them here.

Rose Ridge art shop

Got too many things on the bench right now but here's what I've been working on this week.

post-10360-0-24370600-1390339415_thumb.jpg

post-10360-0-27738000-1390339369_thumb.jpg

It's the airfix 1/72 A6M2b kit and I bought it to practice on. So far I'm impressed. The price alone is outstanding ($8 at my LHS). Fit has been great and I'm keen to try a few things out before I tackle the tamiya kit.

And there's this work in progress:

post-10360-0-21775600-1390339479_thumb.jpg

Completed my Shuttle cockpit today including 1/200 fire extinguisher

12073163086_a96761b3c6_z.jpg

My dream one day is that FineMolds would tackle a proper 1/72 Shuttle. I'd even settle for a Buran! I've never been happy with the detail of any Shuttle kits...

Edited by PetarB

Nice build guys!

Herve: it seems you and I are building the next generation of airpower together! Please post more about the kit... I'm debating getting one myself.

Mickey: Nice to see a zero being built... it looks pretty detailed and easy to go together... no?

Electric: I can honestly say, that's about the worst Hasegawa joint I've EVER seen. Not even the 1970s prop kits are that bad.

Derex: Ooh, Catseye: there have been some awesome builds of that aircraft on here... I'm sure you're going to join that group.

Edited by Noyhauser

It's a really great kit for the money, and some of its detail surprises me. Take the seat adjustment for example, the rope is depicted, even! And the engine is also very nicely done with cooling fin detail that grabs a wash very nicely.

There are some other "issues" with it though, like fiddly cockpit/fuselage fit. The top of the instrument panel glues to the top of the fuselage where the guns are and if that's not assembled properly, it pops the fuselage/gun part out of alignment with the rest of the fuselage. So test fitting everything here is a must. I did not, and had a difficult time filing things to get it all to sit right. It's still not right and will require some putty and sanding to correct.

The wings are also undersized, compared to some 72 scale plans I've managed to print out. The panel lines are way too overscale for my liking as well. But overall, it's a great kit to throw together with a little bit of care and will certainly do the trick to get some motivation back to building a multitude of other kits that've been sitting. And did I mention it's cheap?

Mickey: Nice to see a zero being built... it looks pretty detailed and easy to go together... no?

Here's some more progress on the armor for the Nightmare Plus:

post-10360-0-10142700-1390540491_thumb.jpg

post-10360-0-97744500-1390540517_thumb.jpg

I'm using Gunze Aquous Light Ghost Gray and "preshading" by actually post shading, I guess. The dark blue is so dark that if I just mist heavily thinned coats around the areas I want dark, and "fill in" the rest, it gives it a pretty good effect. The overspray I'll deal with later. I have a nice approach where I just "paint" the spray with a brush dipped in windex. I can wick the excess paint from anywhere that I can reach with my brush. I'm not sure I like the look yet, though. I thought it looked really good at first, but now I'm wondering if it looks too artificial. Any thoughts?

Still more to do, obviously. Some parts are mostly done and the rest are just started.

Edited by mickyg

Sat down today to work on this Iota. The weather is lousy and after a water heater failure and a slight fender bender out on the road I thought it best to not tempt fate and stay home.

post-22681-0-76820800-1390675172_thumb.jpg

My first Wave kit, similar to Bandai in the format and sprue layout.

post-22681-0-74196100-1390675205_thumb.jpg

Subs done after a few episodes on tv and hours gone by.

post-22681-0-20721500-1390675248_thumb.jpg

Ta-Da! Smaller than your typical Valk' but should shine up nicely once painted. I needed this to get my through my winter hobby slump.

Paint to follow after I do more in my progress thread.

Edited by modelglue

http://www.hlj.com/product/FUJ14148/Aut

I love motorbikes and ride, customise them myself, couldn't pass up this 50cc

Police Bike.

I think you're going to love my current project (almost finished) - a 1/6 scale racing bike. I've never done one before, and it was a lot of fun, if a little frustrating! Probably take some pics next weekend...

Edited by PetarB

How did it go together any probs or points to be aware of?

Was it a snap or glue kit.

I think It is supposed to be snap fitted, but I used glue on some of the major joins like the knee and head seam. Seemed too loose for my liking and I wouldn't be disassembling it for paint so why not? :)

The nice thing about it is that there are poly caps everywhere so you can pose til you get that perfect stance. The one thing I found difficult (maybe just me) was the knee parts. There is an inner swivel which plugs into the thigh which I reversed in both my knee assemblies, which makes me think the instructions on that page are unclear. Later in the booklet when you assemble the leg subs they seem to be indicating that the swivel should have been flipped.

I'll post a part number when the family wakes up. Let sleeping dogs lie and all that... :)

My Tiger 2.5 turret is nearly there. All the hull and turret fiddly bits need to be attached still, and obviously the running gear and tracks are just being test-fit here to get a feel for the final arrangement.

Ended up just heavily modifying the Henschel turret rather than totally scratch-build it.

post-659-0-30201900-1390947920_thumb.jpg

Modelglue.

Started my Wave Legioss Eta, don't see a problem with the knee assembly vs instruction.

Very standard Wave kit in detail, fit, etc.

There was one step though where I nearly forgot to drill a hole and that was before the shoulder launcher assembly.

I will also leave the wings off for now due to decaling and paint.

Pics over weekend also of a D-Style Patlabor.

Haha, I did forget/miss that hole drilling step. I just fitted my wings up and they were snug without glue. I'm glad you didn't have any issues with the knees. I didn't end up going back to find out the p/n, my wife beat me to cleaning up and tossed the instructions. D'oh well.

Let's see those pics!

Don't worry it was easy to miss as it was written in Japanese.

I could scan my instructions and send them if you want, only head differs.

Or you can view them on Hobby Search, great reference site.

I keep all the kit Instructions, build up a bit over 40yrs.