Whats Lying on your Workbench MK IV

Urashiman

Thanks for all the compliments guys! I really wish the Oberth would have come out better. I had to end up brush painting all of the black details because no matter how much tackiness I took off the Tamiya tape it was a 50/50 crapshoot as to whether or not paint would peel off. So after I got the blue and white 95% good I decided to not mask anymore. I could have done a much better job if the resin had been right from the get go. Oh well!

Edited by derex3592

@Berttt: That is absolutely gorgeous!

Out of curiosity, do you guys have custom-built dish washer-sized spray booths? Most normal sized ones don't look like they're large enough for a 1/48 scale plane to fit into.

Edited by GU-11

Thanks coronadlux. I tried pushing the Macross angle but he's a full on Trekkie. Apparently there's no cure for this affliction except the loving touch of a willing woman. Poor guy, there really is no hope.

Nice job Berttt! Now it just needs a shave. :D

I'll be following you Derex, I picked up all four for a good price online. I built Misa for my daughter a couple years back, we lost the eye decals, now she kinda has the old looking Little Orphan Annie eyes! I put some wash in there, so it's not that bad, but I'm NOT a figure painter! - MT

Mine's not dishwasher sized but it is roomy. Wish the fellow that made it was still building them

I heard that Artograph ones are the largest hobby booths in the market; it could easily hold a Hasegawa 1/48 scale YF-19. They're also pretty expensive, at 500 USD and up.

I heard that Artograph ones are the largest hobby booths in the market; it could easily hold a Hasegawa 1/48 scale YF-19. They're also pretty expensive, at 500 USD and up.

Mine is 25in wide, 17in tall and 17in deep. Has a 375 cfm squirrel-cage blower, is made with heavy galvanized steel and was only $250. It makes the Artograph ones look like chintzy crap made of cardboard (which is what the Artograph ones are made of).

Don't know why the guy stopped selling them as they are so much more bang for the buck.

Mine is 25in wide, 17in tall and 17in deep. Has a 375 cfm squirrel-cage blower, is made with heavy galvanized steel and was only $250. It makes the Artograph ones look like chintzy crap made of cardboard (which is what the Artograph ones are made of).

Don't know why the guy stopped selling them as they are so much more bang for the buck.

That booth you've got sounds awesome! You wouldn't have any problems going heavy with a rattle can using that thing, at 375 cfm.

BTW, cardboard? Damn, I thought it was at least made of plywood.

That booth you've got sounds awesome! You wouldn't have any problems going heavy with a rattle can using that thing, at 375 cfm.

BTW, cardboard? Damn, I thought it was at least made of plywood.

Cardboard. Oh but it's inexpensive to replace then, they say. Sure then why does it cost so friggen much to begin with?

For once, some actual pictures of actual models that I'm actually building...

A while ago, a friend of mine bought me a VF-19A "Lightnings" w/High-maneuver Missiles, which I set aside for a couple of months to concentrate on the Gundams and VF-25 kits I'd bought for myself. A couple of weeks ago I finally got around to building it, and got to this point:

vf-19_1.jpg

When I discovered this:

vf-19_2.jpg

Yup, that's a short-shot. I was all kinds of miffed at this, since it's a rather prominent piece and I am *not* up to fixing it with scrap plastic. The next day I took a break and went to the local model show, where I found another VF-19 kit (actually an YF-19 "Demonstrator" kit) that I got for 30% off of the already lowered show price. Since the kit scheme isn't my cup of tea, I'm painting it up in the "Lightnings" scheme (black and yellow over gray) instead:

vf-19_3.jpg

Here's where I am right now.

In case it's not obvious from the picture, I'm brush-painting the second kit (the first one I'm using for airbrush practice - it's been stripped a couple of times already, and I'm not really getting what I'm doing wrong - the paint just clogs up way fast no matter how thin I mix it), and I haven't gotten around to the black parts yet. The exhaust bits are painted with Humbrol's metalcote gunmetal, which is wonderful when it works and terrible when it doesn't. To anyone thinking of trying it - despite being in the same kind of tins as Humbrol's enamels, you should *not* thin this with white spirits/naphta. Use alcohol. White spirits is good for stripping it off, though. (lesson learned the expensive way - the gunmetal was drying in its tin, so I poured white spirits in to thin it back to usable a year or so ago. Big mistake - the pigments don't dissolve properly now..)

I have way too much crap going on right now - there's a 1/1300 Bentenmaru (from the Mouretsu Pirates anime) awaiting painting or decaling (not sure whether to paint it actually - it's molded in color, and the colors are strange mixes like a very dark burgundy and a dark pink for most of the fuselage and bits), a 1/25 Corvette ZR1 that I finally managed to get an even coat of paint onto, an Airbus A400M that I'm still working on the interior for, and three different AW101 Merlins at mostly that stage as well. Plus I have a Super VF-11B and an F-14B Tomcat that are singing "build me, build me"...

In all honestly sebastien (and apologies to those who use the stuff) but I could never get humbrol paints to work for me. I use them only for brush painting as a primer. I'd really urge you to wait on painting the VF-19 until you get an alternative, preferably gunze or tamiya if they are available and affordable. They will make a big big difference.

Well, time for another update.
I've almost finished my zero combo (from a few pages back). I seem to never finish models before rushing to take a photo of them. Too impatient I guess. The Finemolds Zero. I'm just missing the underside mass balancers, but those would not be visible from the shots I took. However the following photos are previous to some touchups. In particular the nose needed repainting, the pitot is missing and the wire has been tightened. Also the photos for some reason did not turn out well... so apologies for that.
7U04_zps9e67f081.jpg
7U06_zpsf6a5bf03.jpg
7U05_zps89c17ccf.jpg
7U03_zps61287eec.jpg
So recently, I saw that a Ukrainian company, Red, was selling resin IJA and IJAAF pilot/crew figures. I found out the resin ones were limited edition, but that they were releasing soft plastic ones in a few months. I kinda didn't want soft plastic, and the timing didn't work for me, so I searched around and found a dealer in Ukraine that was selling them.
This was one of the sets.
7U08_zps704859f6.jpg
Primed
7U09_zpsfdc0fe82.jpg
Painted!
7U10_zps64292b31.jpg
... well mostly... they needed some touchups and eyes. But I never took another photo because I was already onto the next step. I couldn't resist putting them together on a base I bought and weathered.
7U13_zpsfcba4450.jpg
7U12_zps300b3dbe.jpg
7U18_zpsf9a30784.jpg
7U11_zps3bc7463f.jpg
7U14_zpsa8f2e1fe.jpg
Now I just have to finish the Tamiya zero and this adventure is over with.
Next up is probably these two, one of which a certain forum member helped me out with.
7U21_zpsaf06e820.jpg
7U22_zpsfe6a5b5b.jpg
7U23_zpsfa046bdc.jpg
Thanks for looking.
Edited by Noyhauser

In all honestly sebastien (and apologies to those who use the stuff) but I could never get humbrol paints to work for me. I use them only for brush painting as a primer. I'd really urge you to wait on painting the VF-19 until you get an alternative, preferably gunze or tamiya if they are available and affordable. They will make a big big difference.

That thing looks awesome. :)

I've been brush painting Humbrol for more than twenty years, and it's really not that hard - stir the paint in the tin with a toothpick until you're not getting gobs of pigment on it, then use the toothpick to dribble paint into a disposable mug (you only get a few drops at a time, so it will take several goes to get a decent amount.) Then add a couple of drops (be careful, you really don't need much) of white spirits to the cup, and use your brush to mix the paint. It should be just thick enough to not go transparent when you try brushing the inside of the cup.

Depending on the base color of the model, and the color you're painting it, you're going to need between two and four thin coats - the wings and most of the fuselage on my VF-19 have received three coats and they're completely solid, no blotches at all. With just one coat, the white comes through from underneath, making it look awful.

Properly thinned humbrol is really very forgiving to work with - you can brush the same area multiple times without getting buildup as long as the paint is still wet, so you can really brush off dust particles and stray hairs; it sticks well to the plastic and has near zero surface tension, so it won't bead; and if it builds up in the corners where it shouldn't, you just touch your brush to where it's pooling and the brush sucks it right up. And you have several minutes before it dries to the point where it stops self-levelling and you start getting brushstrokes. :)

The only bad part is that their white paints turn yellow way too quickly, which I think is due to the oil. Despite being infinitely more frustrating to work with, I've started using acrylics for landing gear, gear bays and intake interiors because of that.

(I've even gotten a decent finish on a model car once using just thinned enamel and a wide brush.)

I don't doubt humbrol's brushing quality.... its really just not a great AB paint. Tamiya is the exact opposite; terrible brush paint, awesome AB paint. Gunze really is the best of both worlds, particularly with the various paint solutions that go with it (mild retarder and leveling thinner). I also think its the best bang for your buck... the thicker paint goes further with the thinner, which is cheaper than tamiya's stuff.

I have been using Vallejo and Humbrol Acrylics for airbrushing - while the local hobby shop nominally stocks Tamiya, the previous shipment of paints from Japan to Sweden sank en route, so many of the colors needed for the stuff I build ran out. And no one in the region stocks Gunze anymore - which is a crying shame, because they actually *have* the colors I need for modern jets. And ordering paints privately is either expensive, slooooow, or impossible, due to the regulations on flammable liquids. :(

It's tough to get Gunze here in the US also. Love airbrushing their paints but man is it tough to find. More so if you're trying to find something like their Mr. Color Leveling Thinner.

Next up is probably these two, one of which a certain forum member helped me out with.

7U21_zpsaf06e820.jpg

Glad it arrived intact! Looking forward to seeing what you do with it.