Whats Lying on your Workbench MK IV

Urashiman

I love those BSG ships, great job ;)

Indi I'M eagerly waiting for your wip shot on Jehuty.

I just received the Anubis kit. Dude the box is twice the size of Jehuty or Vic Viper.

But no decals. They better not pull the HD edition crap again or I will go mad.

Some progress......1 step forwards and two back....DO NOT UNDERSTAND why this happens.....uhhhgggg....

Sorry to hear about that. It looks like you didn't wash off the mold release thoroughly enough and the paint was applied over a section with the resin mold release. I usually scrub down my resin kits with ajax and a toothbrush.

Tamiya Fine Surface primer. I think that's where my problem lies. It did not lay down well. I have problems getting primer to lay down smoothly, and my paint suffers because of it I think. I want my paint jobs to look smooth and even like all of Electric Indigo's do! Every time I use primer it gets me into trouble, but what choice do I have when you have to putty and sand?

Edited by derex3592

What it may be..and I hope it's not... is the casting itself. Sometimes, during the mixing of the PU resin, If the A and B parts aren't mixed thoroughly, cavities of uncured resin can find itself in and on the surface. Years ago when I first began molding and casting, I came across this issue once. I washed the hell out of the piece with no success. I ended up dremelling out the problem spot and filling it with bondo and rescribed. the details.

Good luck, man.

-Ahab

*I just re-read your post (#2034). Are you running into this problem often (on other kits), or is it that particular spot on the model?

Edited by Ahab

Well, I've had problems with a "rough" primer lay down before, but also with tape lifting off paint before to. I use Tamiya masking tape and the white paint had been layed down 5 days prior to masking it. I dunno..bad luck I guess.

The order of coats was this...

1. Tamiya grey fine surface primer

2. Model Master light ghost grey enamel base coat

3. Model Master classic white enamel.

Then masked for blue and the tape pulled off the paint/base coat/primer all the way done to the plastic.

Edited by derex3592

I let them soak in Engine degreaser. Then dish detergent and a toothbrush

This is exactly what I do.

Then Tamiya fine primer. I have found it's the best for me.

However I do not use Model Master, I exclusively use Tamiya acrylics. I've never had a pull-up issue.

Hey Derex,

The fact that the mask removed the paint/primer all the way down to the plastic (and its localized to the same problem spot) may indicate the resin as the culprit. If you don't want to do major surgery and decide to repeat the steps, try to take down some of the tack on the masking tape you're using and apply it to a piece of fabric (I use my jeans) before applying it to the model.

This might help some..

Wasabi-san, if the decals are still in good shape physically, you can bleach them in a window with sunlight if yellowed. A coat of microsol clear will fix any brittleness. I've brought decals back from the dead with that stuff.

The Oberth does look good Derex. That sucks about the paint! - MT

After watching the Robin Olds episode of Air Aces on The "Hitler" Channel, I pulled out my old 1:48 F-4 Phantom to look at it. The decals are pretty bad off, being a 80's kit bought at an airshow for $4.oo. Anyone know of a source for decals that would be for his bird?

What kit is this? The monogram one? Its still considered quite good. I can ask around to see if anybody has that decal option.

The guy selling the COANG A-7 decals didn't have his set...

So... did you get the airdoc set for the A-7 or no?

Ahh, those were the days.. I grew up building those kits with my dad. ^_^ He'd cut loose a few parts, and let me rubber band them together to zoom around, while he actually worked on another kit.

Just got in two of the Yamato 2199 kits, the Falcon and Zero, so I might start slapping those together soon. Question for those who have built them: If I actually snap the entire kits together, how hard are they to take back apart to paint later on? I love building stuff just to have something to look at (and fly around the room), but I tend to put off painting/decals.

Speaking only for the Bandai Cosmo Zero (Yamato 2199) kit, they snap together really tightly. The plastic is somewhat soft, so if you press it all together, it would be difficult to take it apart again without bending, scratching or damaging the surface of the plastic (I found out the hard way). Just don't follow the order of the instructions unless you want to mask everything - Bandai is never friendly to modelers who want to paint the kit.

Speaking only for the Bandai Cosmo Zero (Yamato 2199) kit, they snap together really tightly. The plastic is somewhat soft, so if you press it all together, it would be difficult to take it apart again without bending, scratching or damaging the surface of the plastic (I found out the hard way). Just don't follow the order of the instructions unless you want to mask everything - Bandai is never friendly to modelers who want to paint the kit.

Given my experiences with the VF-25 kits, I may just paint everything before putting it together. Not like there's a ton of seams left after assembly anyway. :p

Not sure I want to attempt a metallic finish or not though.. I actually haven't airbrushed anything in like.. probably 15 years. :p

Derex, the color looks good. Hopefully it will stay down this time!

Jefuemon, I didn't recognize it in gray (mine was green) and the fact I built it like 30 years ago! I forgot it had movable surfaces on it. Those hinged parts were thin and even broke on the sprue before building. The weapons load was cool too! The other biggie I got was the 1/32nd Monogram Tomcat - with REAL rubber wheels! :) - MT

Thanks guys ! I really do think temperature and humidity make a lot of difference when painting . today was 70° with very low humidity and my paint laid down excellent. Here in Texas we do not get many days like this, I think if we had more, my painting would be a lot better and easier!

Edited by derex3592

Ladies and Gentleman....The Macross Heavy Missile Cruiser "Oberth"! ...built...(rather painfully because of horrible resin that would NOT hold paint)...by yours truly....enjoy! Seriously though....I'm soooo over resin kits not made by Captain America or someone reputable around here....this should have been a two weekend fun project, not the long drawn out ordeal it became!

post-11393-0-03466100-1382836668_thumb.jpg

post-11393-0-44802500-1382836686_thumb.jpg

post-11393-0-43917400-1382836705_thumb.jpg

post-11393-0-17191100-1382836724_thumb.jpg

post-11393-0-34649700-1382836744_thumb.jpg